ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread

Gotta love the toughness of this team so far. Might have seen it last year if the bullpen had been just slightly below decent.

Reactions: TM94goRU
The problem is that the bullpen may be worn out by July.You can't have too many guys-or even one-on a 120 game pace.

I don't trust Neris at all.

I get it. He's inconsistent, but is mostly better than average. A big thing this year is that they have a bullpen plan, he'll get saves, but Giraldi knows that he isn't their best reliever and this year they have other options to not use him multi-innings and also not always againsts the other team's best hitters. They are going to be using Kintzler as the "Fireman" to get groundouts with men on base and a multi-inning guy. Bradley and Alvarado will face tough hitters when they need a K and the others will fill in.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Could not believe they took out deGrom... go Phils

Saw this on r/Phillies

mjkcjntsrgr61.jpg

You have to love National League Baseball. I don't think the Mets make the mistake of taking out Degrom if he doesn't ever have to bat.

That didn't come into play last night though. Degrom batted in the top of the 6th and got removed afterwards.
I know, I was just trying to figure out why the Mets were so dumb. It truly makes no sense.

I know, I was just trying to figure out why the Mets were so dumb. It truly makes no sense.
First start of the season for a guy with a billion dollar arm. You don't risk injuring him with overwork for one game early in the season. I can only assume he was on a pitch count.

First start of the season for a guy with a billion dollar arm. You don't risk injuring him with overwork for one game early in the season. I can only assume he was on a pitch count.
Reminds me of the time Kepler pulled Nola.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I would like to see it stay the same way, with a difference between the 2 leagues personally. I hate pitchers killing rallies, but I think them batting increases strategy.

Agree and I was against it since the AL started in back in the 70s(?). But I've come around on that exact issue, pitchers killing rallies. To me, now, that's a bigger issue than the lessening of strategy.

Feel the same way. But if the pitcher can hit like DeGrom or Syndergaard, why not bat them 9th?
Because as a good hitting pitcher you still suck compared to that do it for a living. He is a career .193 hitter

Feel the same way. But if the pitcher can hit like DeGrom or Syndergaard, why not bat them 9th?
For me, and I get that there are pitchers that can hit, replacing a 9th in the order hitter with a 4 or 5 or 6 is still a big improvement to the offense.

Please don't put me in the place of defending the DH though. I supported pitchers batting for 40 years. I've just recently tipped just a bit over to the dark side.

One other thing it adds is one more job on every NL team that can be filled with a old fat slow still good hitter that would otherwise have to retire. It's a nice way to extend the careers of guys who can't play in the field effectively anymore. I'd rather see a 45 year old, 25 year vet, power hitter hit than even the best pitcher. Excluding maybe Ohtani because he's a great hitter.

For me, and I get that there are pitchers that can hit, replacing a 9th in the order hitter with a 4 or 5 or 6 is still a big improvement to the offense.

Please don't put me in the place of defending the DH though. I supported pitchers batting for 40 years. I've just recently tipped just a bit over to the dark side.

One other thing it adds is one more job on every NL team that can be filled with a old fat slow still good hitter that would otherwise have to retire. It's a nice way to extend the careers of guys who can't play in the field effectively anymore. I'd rather see a 45 year old, 25 year vet, power hitter hit than even the best pitcher. Excluding maybe Ohtani because he's a great hitter.

I see your point, but when I think about DH"s, I don't see many who fill your description of "old fat slow." Consider, for instance, that Paul Molitor got into the Hall of Fame, and he was mostly a DH (although sometimes a shortstop) for his career.

I used to hate the DH rule because it eliminated strategy like when to pull the starter. But everyone now believes (and statistics bear this out) that on average it is much better to pinch-hit for the starter after 6-7 innings. So a lot of the strategy is now obsolete. I also have to say that I enjoyed there being another bat in the line-up, and a place in the line-up for an everyday player who wasn't up to playing the field that day. (e.g. Harper or Realmuto last September when Harper couldn't throw.

I see your point, but when I think about DH"s, I don't see many who fill your description of "old fat slow." Consider, for instance, that Paul Molitor got into the Hall of Fame, and he was mostly a DH (although sometimes a shortstop) for his career.

I used to hate the DH rule because it eliminated strategy like when to pull the starter. But everyone now believes (and statistics bear this out) that on average it is much better to pinch-hit for the starter after 6-7 innings. So a lot of the strategy is now obsolete. I also have to say that I enjoyed there being another bat in the line-up, and a place in the line-up for an everyday player who wasn't up to playing the field that day. (e.g. Harper or Realmuto last September when Harper couldn't throw.
I used to like the two leagues using the pitcher and the DH separately. But along came year round inter-league play. Add in there is no other league from HS through the minors where the pitcher hit. Turn the page. They will but it's about a money

Reactions: retired711
Alright, let's regroup and win the series tomorrow. Nola going against a punch @ Judy pitcher.

The only thing I dislike more than the DH is having different rules for each league. It would be like having a larger goal in the NHL Western Conference or not allowing field goals in the NFC.

VV is an enigma to me. I think the guy needs a therapist. Looked awesome and confident in his first inning and then on the edge of crying with every pitch in the dirt in the 2nd. Just like his starts but without fatigue as an explanation or excuse.

VV is an enigma to me. I think the guy needs a therapist. Looked awesome and confident in his first inning and then on the edge of crying with every pitch in the dirt in the 2nd. Just like his starts but without fatigue as an explanation or excuse.
Velasquez claimed that he had trouble as soon as he had to pitch out of a stretch position. Doesn't say much for his fundamentals.

We've been chasing the high of that 16K start for almost 5 years now. At this point he is what he is, an inconsistent 5th starter and maybe long reliever at best. With Moore and Anderson in the 4 and 5 roles right now, the Phillies are going to need someone to help them get through 2 innings on most nights that those guys start. I don't think VV is going to last in that role.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I was actually excited to see VV in this role because I felt that, as a starter, he was almost always good for 3 or 4 innings before things fell apart. I thought he'd be a perfect long reliever. Then we see an accelerated version of his falling apart act. I don't know what to do with him Do they bring up Howard to be used in that role, or do they want to keep him on the path towards a rotation spot?

My completely uninformed guess is that the Phillies won't dump Velasquez right away; they'll give him enough rope to straighten out or hang himself. Note that, judging from last night, David Hale isn't exactly wonderful, and he's supposed to be filling a similar role. My guess is that the Phillies would like Spencer Howard to develop as a starter in case Moore or Anderson (or both!) don't do the job as starters. BTW, I see Andrew McCutcheon is off to a poor start at the plate, and the Phillies actually pinch-ran for him the other night. Hasley or Quinn is going to end up in left field soon, I think.

Reactions: RUhasarrived
Well, if you had a goal to start the season was getting off to a flying start in clearly the best division in baseball, then that is what the Phillies have done.

Well, if you had a goal to start the season was getting off to a flying start in clearly the best division in baseball, then that is what the Phillies have done.
That's true, but there's many a slip between the cup and the lip. I don't think the Phillies have enough defense, enough starting pitching, enough relief pitching (I'm already worried about Alvarado -- he reminds me of "Wild Thing" Mitch Williams) -- and I worry about the outfield aside from Harper.

I just turned on the Phillies-Mets game. The Phillies are leading 4-1, but Nola is no longer pitching. CBS sports reports that he threw 92 pitches, only 59 of them strikes. How the heck did he throw 92 pitches in four innings, and give up only one run? And I assume he isn't hurt.

I just turned on the Phillies-Mets game. The Phillies are leading 4-1, but Nola is no longer pitching. CBS sports reports that he threw 92 pitches, only 59 of them strikes. How the heck did he throw 92 pitches in four innings, and give up only one run? And I assume he isn't hurt.
Bad 3rd inning. Cheap hits, long counts. Had bases loaded.

Reactions: retired711
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT