ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 Philadelphia Phillies Season And Post Season Thread

Did I see that Schwarber may be out a couple of days?
He has a "mild" calf strain. Listed as day to day but I wouldn't expect him to start this weekend, could maybe pinch hit Saturday or Sunday.

What makes you look at this matchup as either a strength or weakness?

Would love your take on our 'current' weakness?
and strengths- and what either worries you and or makes you feel you could sweep?

Mets have the better closer, but I think as constructed now the Phillies have a better overall bullpen. With that I think the key for the Phillies will be making the Mets starters throw a bunch of pitches, especially with DeGrom likely still on a pitch count. However Schwarber is one of the better players in the league at working counts, so that hurts a bit that he is out.

Mets are probably better than the Phillies at every position except C and 3b. Some positions are closeer than others but it will be up to the Phillies pitching to hold the Mets down.

I'm going to say the Mets probably win today with Scherzer, the Phillies win with Wheeler on Sunday. On Saturday it depends on how long DeGrom goes and what damage the Phillies can do against the Mets middle relievers.

BTW not sure if you're aware but Harper's throwing recovery program has been cancelled - he's going to need Tommy John surgery - so that's next year out the window for him too. He might come back to DH this year once ready as long as the Phils are in contention but then likely TJ and a year(+) out.
Like I said in this thread from when he first went on the IL, if the NL didn't have the DH and he was just some average MLB player and not Harper, he would have already had the surgery and been out for the year. This is hope for him to come back and DH next year even with the surgery though. Ohtani did something similar.

Reactions: RUScrew85
He has a "mild" calf strain. Listed as day to day but I wouldn't expect him to start this weekend, could maybe pinch hit Saturday or Sunday.

Mets have the better closer, but I think as constructed now the Phillies have a better overall bullpen. With that I think the key for the Phillies will be making the Mets starters throw a bunch of pitches, especially with DeGrom likely still on a pitch count. However Schwarber is one of the better players in the league at working counts, so that hurts a bit that he is out.

Mets are probably better than the Phillies at every position except C and 3b. Some positions are closeer than others but it will be up to the Phillies pitching to hold the Mets down.

I'm going to say the Mets probably win today with Scherzer, the Phillies win with Wheeler on Sunday. On Saturday it depends on how long DeGrom goes and what damage the Phillies can do against the Mets middle relievers.
I think you are pretty spot on. Hurts you that your two biggest Met killers will most likely not be playing.
The tough thing with trying to get the pitch counts up- the Met's starters have one of the lowest pitch counts per inning in the majors. Though, I do not believe they would let deGrom go past 90. But keep in mind, his last start, he went 5 2/3 with 12 k's and only threw 76 pitches.

I think you are pretty spot on. Hurts you that your two biggest Met killers will most likely not be playing.
The tough thing with trying to get the pitch counts up- the Met's starters have one of the lowest pitch counts per inning in the majors. Though, I do not believe they would let deGrom go past 90. But keep in mind, his last start, he went 5 2/3 with 12 k's and only threw 76 pitches.

Well the batters will just refuse to leave the box after 4 balls or 3 strikes then. "Keep throwin!"

Reactions: retired711
It's Suarez v. Scherzer tonight -- and the money line on the Mets is -225! There's no doubt who the oddsmakers think will win.
With Schwarber out, the Met lineup is the better of the two teams too. Anything can happen in baseball but may be a tough couple of days.

With Schwarber out, the Met lineup is the better of the two teams too. Anything can happen in baseball but may be a tough couple of days.

As it stands now I'd be happy with one out of three. Two would make my very happy. 3/3 - We win the NL East. (LOLOLOL)

Reactions: yesrutgers01
As it stands now I'd be happy with one out of three. Two would make my very happy. 3/3 - We win the NL East. (LOLOLOL)
You know what I find interesting- as much as Phillies fans get a bad rap- you guys are much more conversational with an opposing fan than the Yankees are in their thread. I could be having the same exact conversation and they don't see it as a good discussion vs trolling.

tonight and tomorrow could be very tough- these two guys are as elite as there is in baseball. Even watching Max this year as he is now older- he just amazes you when you get to see each start. I don't think I appreciated it as much when he was elsewhere. You know he is elite but you only got to see him once or twice in a year - I can't imagine how much fun he must have been when younger. And then to watch deGrom when healthy- I loved a young Doc Gooden but deGrom is actually much better than Doc was in his prime. 94 mph changeup is crazy lol

You know what I find interesting- as much as Phillies fans get a bad rap- you guys are much more conversational with an opposing fan than the Yankees are in their thread. I could be having the same exact conversation and they don't see it as a good discussion vs trolling.

Well I'm such a pleasant person and not a Yankee fan so... 🤣 🤣 🤣

Plus it's hard to throw a battery over the internet.

IMG_1609.jpg

tonight and tomorrow could be very tough- these two guys are as elite as there is in baseball. Even watching Max this year as he is now older- he just amazes you when you get to see each start. I don't think I appreciated it as much when he was elsewhere. You know he is elite but you only got to see him once or twice in a year - I can't imagine how much fun he must have been when younger. And then to watch deGrom when healthy- I loved a young Doc Gooden but deGrom is actually much better than Doc was in his prime. 94 mph changeup is crazy lol

They're just due to get LIT UP.

Seven hits in three innings only one run. Grrrrr. There's the loss right there.

Damn 7 innings of 3 hit ball for Suarez.

Now They're gonna lose in the 9th.

Well I'll be a Monkey's Uncle. Beat Scherzer. Everything from here this weekend is icing on the Twinkie.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'll be there tomorrow on top of the radio booths.

Why did WIP have to put on an Eagles exhibition game?
It was even on the affiliate in Scranton.

Well I'll be a Monkey's Uncle. Beat Scherzer. Everything from here this weekend is icing on the Twinkie.
Suarez pitched a great game.
Nido was a bonehead on the bases, missed the throw from the outfield, and missed chance to tqf guy out at plate because he was too busy helping him up. Mets need a catcher.

Didn't realize how unusual it is for both teams to be this good this late in the season. From the article in the Athletic:

The Phillies and Mets are rivals, but rarely have they both been this good at the same time. Friday marked only the sixth time since 1962 that they faced each other while both clubs were 13-plus games over .500. It hadn’t happened since Sept. 7, 2008.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT