ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rowan strongly considering moving sports up to D1

Don't think their football team could do any worse against Georgie than FSU did in the orange bowl.
You’re on my nuts lately super fan
Secretly, I’m flattered

Did You see we signed another 4 star yesterday for the 2024 class? At this point We’re bringing in top recruits with our eyes closed

Mike’s sure building a monster in Tallahassee - getting the Noles back to our righteous place atop the world of college football has been fun to see

You know what else is gonna be fun… when come up here as conference mates in 2026-2027!!

And people complain about the deficit Rutgers athletics runs. BTW, what is the capacity of the stadium their 85 scholarship football team would play in?
I assume they’d move to FCS
By the looks of it, and appears at the end of 3 to 4000 range

Wonder if they plan on trying to rent Franklin Field for their home games, if they
are seriously thinking about the jump

Wonder if they plan on trying to rent Franklin Field for their home games, if they

A 50,000+ stadium that the students would have to commute into Philly to for games? Attendence very likely under 5000.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I don’t think this is a good move. Gets more difficult to compete by the minute. I could be mistaken, but I felt they really heightened their rep a few years back about being more selective with their applicants then they were able to establish the med school. Why mess with the positive momentum?

Reactions: 240sx7426
A 50,000+ stadium that the students would have to commute into Philly to for games? Attendence very likely under 5000.
but that might be the only way to gain FBS status .
Unless I mistaken and they plan to be a FCS program, they need to find a larger stadium.
I believe their stadium seats 5,000 and minimum attendance requirement for FBS programs is 15,000
If they're looking at becoming a FCS program, 5,000 seats is just fine

I probably am wrong about needing to find a bigger stadium,
FCS was once called D-1AA, so it is probably where Rowan plans to go and I mistakenly thought FCS was D2 now

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
The day that happens is the day Rutgers inaugurates Rowan into D1 football by beating them 70-0 in their first ever D1 game. Nothing personal, just business.

The day that happens is the day Rutgers inaugurates Rowan into D1 football by beating them 70-0 in their first ever D1 game. Nothing personal, just business.

SL would probably advocate a 50-50 split of ticket sale revenue.

but that might be the only way to gain FBS status .
Unless I mistaken and they plan to be a FCS program, they need to find a larger stadium.
I believe their stadium seats 5,000 and minimum attendance requirement for FBS programs is 15,000
If they're looking at becoming a FCS program, 5,000 seats is just fine

I probably am wrong about needing to find a bigger stadium,
FCS was once called D-1AA, so it is probably where Rowan plans to go and I mistakenly thought FCS was D2 now
I may be wrong, but I think as part of the recent moves to make it harder to move up to FBS (for example, a $5 million fee to move up now), they made the concession of eliminating the minimum attendance requirement (which some G5 schools weren’t meeting anyway).

Rowan's athletics facilities dreams have gone nowhere since Rowan floated the fieldhouse idea two years ago. Rowan's request for developer proposals for a fieldhouse has dropped off the Rowan procurement website.

Now, Rowan is pursuing other uses for the hundreds of acres of land across four municipalities. Developers would be interested in building warehouses on this land, but the municipalities probably won't let that happen. Expect medical buildings, not a field house, to be there over the next decade or so.

Rowan's athletics facilities dreams have gone nowhere since Rowan floated the fieldhouse idea two years ago. Rowan's request for developer proposals for a fieldhouse has dropped off the Rowan procurement website.

Now, Rowan is pursuing other uses for the hundreds of acres of land across four municipalities. Developers would be interested in building warehouses on this land, but the municipalities probably won't let that happen. Expect medical buildings, not a field house, to be there over the next decade or so.

for years there was talk of EDP soccer building approx 50 turf fields on their property. Especially, once they lost tuckahoe turf farm.

Monmouth should expand their football program stadium.... They are tight with room on their grounds, but certainly have had some decent programs and players over the years. their other programs are competitive. Think that should be the next NJ University to make a bigger move.

Did @jaydogsmooth1 really post a 2 year old article as new news.

I know he went to FSU and not a smart person but this is new levels
Yes, it's two years old

Admittedly, I didn't look at the date, but being down in South Jersey frequently and being familiar w/the area, its long been in Rowan's plans to move up to FCS

They have a ton of land, a lot of money, and are super ambitious

We all know they'll never get to FSU's level - but then again, not many schools do

Yes, it's two years old

Admittedly, I didn't look at the date, but being down in South Jersey frequently and being familiar w/the area, its long been in Rowan's plans to move up to FCS

They have a ton of land, a lot of money, and are super ambitious

We all know they'll never get to FSU's level - but then again, not many schools do

They have a lot of money?

The pro soccer stadium in Chester is VERY close. just a few miles across the Commodore Barry Bridge. This is the stadium that Villanova was talking about using at one point.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Had as they were gifted 100 mil from Henry Rowan when he died, and I believe they're still getting money from his estate

Is it restricted?

And the world of higher education that, in itself, is not a lot of money. Now if you are saying it's one of a number of large gifts it might be different.

Is it restricted?

And the world of higher education that, in itself, is not a lot of money. Now if you are saying it's one of a number of large gifts it might be different.
The gift was enough to get them to re-name the college; you'll remember it was Glassboro State when LBJ and Kosygin met there in 1967. For whatever reason, the gift kick-started the college on a path of aggressive efforts to get better.

Reactions: RUforester72
The gift was enough to get them to re-name the college; you'll remember it was Glassboro State when LBJ and Kosygin met there in 1967. For whatever reason, the gift kick-started the college on a path of aggressive efforts to get better.
I'd hope if Rowan moves up to FCS that they get rid of their dumb team name, the Profs. All it does is reinforce the fact that they were a glorified teacher college up until about 20 or so years ago.

I'm aware of that. But that does not mean they have a lot of money in today's world unless this was one of many substantial gifts. Particularly moving up the football program to FCS. Even less so if the gift was restricted (scholarships or some other specific purpose).

Reactions: Leonard23
I'm aware of that. But that does not mean they have a lot of money in today's world unless this was one of many substantial gifts. Particularly moving up the football program to FCS. Even less so if the gift was restricted (scholarships or some other specific purpose).
As I recall (and it's been years), the gift was not restricted. That's why the college was so grateful for it. There is something else at work: Rowan is not nearly as fiscally conservative as Rutgers is. They will take financial chances (say, borrowing money) that would cause a Rutgers executive to faint. So far, it's worked out.

Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT