ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rowan strongly considering moving sports up to D1

I'd hope if Rowan moves up to FCS that they get rid of their dumb team name, the Profs. All it does is reinforce the fact that they were a glorified teacher college up until about 20 or so years ago.
Hell if they move up I hope they keep that name and hire Kyle Flood
He has a history with a Proff .
When Flood was the RU HC:
>Asked whether he is aware of the university policies in regard to contact with faculty, Flood said: "We have professors who come to practice, we have professors that are part of our recruiting weekends. I teach classes on campus. So I welcome those interactions. Again, I think we're all a part of the same university.''<
So he'd be the perfect man for the job

While the linked article by the OP is 2yrs old, this discussion was on here even before that.

Their master plan way back when even included a 25K seat stadium.

And I was the one who suggested switching to Rams for two reasons, 1)rebranding and 2) alliteration…

Rowan Rams sounds much better as they move (ram/plough) forward.

The brown and yellow should be revamped too. Either go with maroon instead of brown or switch the yellow to white.

Reactions: bigmatt718
While the linked article by the OP is 2yrs old, this discussion was on here even before that.

Their master plan way back when even included a 25K seat stadium.

And I was the one who suggested switching to Rams for two reasons, 1)rebranding and 2) alliteration…

Rowan Rams sounds much better as they move (ram/plough) forward.

The brown and yellow should be revamped too. Either go with maroon instead of brown or switch the yellow to white.
They're probably too close to Fordham in NYC to be called the Rams. But alliteration would be good: "Rowan Rockets" or "Rowan Redbirds?"

You're right that they definitely should change the colors.

Here's Rowan's version. The donor wanted an engineering college, but the money could be used for other purposes.

https://sites.rowan.edu/henryrowan/gift/
Interesting story from that gift solicitation process: My friend's dad was a (or the) lawyer for one of the sides, either Mr. Rowan or the college, and he said that the college's initial ask was for $10 million. Henry Rowan said that's fine, but I was thinking more of a hundred million.

I would've loved to have seen the look on the development folks' faces when he came back with that.

Interesting story from that gift solicitation process: My friend's dad was a (or the) lawyer for one of the sides, either Mr. Rowan or the college, and he said that the college's initial ask was for $10 million. Henry Rowan said that's fine, but I was thinking more of a hundred million.

I would've loved to have seen the look on the development folks' faces when he came back with that.
I wish he said, “with one catch…ya gotta change the mascot and those hideous colors.”

• Haha
Reactions: SHUSource
It is funny- back in the early 80's- I lived in Poughkeepsie NY- we took a trip into NJ to visit a couple of girls we knew from HS that were in college there- I could have swore it was Rowan but their school was all girls?
I still that until now. lol

Were they ever all girls or do I just have the school wrong- and crazy "grain" party they had that weekend- so- maybe I don't remember anything correctly

It is funny- back in the early 80's- I lived in Poughkeepsie NY- we took a trip into NJ to visit a couple of girls we knew from HS that were in college there- I could have swore it was Rowan but their school was all girls?

Were they ever all girls or do I just have the school wrong- and crazy "grain" party they had that weekend- so- maybe I don't remember anything correctly
It wasn’t Rowan yet.

Still Glassboro State College. It was always coed.

And a grain party will do that to you. That’s speaking from experience.🤪

Last edited:
It wasn’t Rowan yet.

Still Glassboro State College. It was always coed.

And a grain party will do that to you. That’s speaking from experience.🤪
I honestly would've been willing to bet the female/male ratio was more tipped towards female back then since like I said earlier, it was a glorified teacher college for decades.

Here, from Wilkipedia, is a list of past and present women's colleges in New Jersey:

Here, from Wilkipedia, is a list of past and present women's colleges in New Jersey:

Thanks- this helped. Back then, I remembered it being something to do with Rutgers but the girls were calling it something else. My mind always just thought it was Rowen, not Rutgers.
I realize now, as I just did a search on LinkedIn for one of the girls we visited. It was Douglass, and I want to say her dorm was Rutgers but her degree was Douglass. Or something like that. Was a ton of fun though.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Thanks- this helped. Back then, I remembered it being something to do with Rutgers but the girls were calling it something else. My mind always just thought it was Rowen, not Rutgers.
I realize now, as I just did a search on LinkedIn for one of the girls we visited. It was Douglass, and I want to say her dorm was Rutgers but her degree was Douglass. Or something like that. Was a ton of fun though.
You're welcome! In return, could you tell me what a "grain" party is? I googled the term and found nothing useful. (I'm sure I'd know this if I weren't so old!!)

• Haha
That makes sense. I've never been a drinker, but the thought of drinking something with that high an alcohol percentage is pretty alarming. I hope everybody slept at the site of the party!
It’s so dangerous there is a warning on the label…

027.JPG

From the link:

“This stuff is so toxic, it's illegal in 14 states.“

That makes sense. I've never been a drinker, but the thought of drinking something with that high an alcohol percentage is pretty alarming. I hope everybody slept at the site of the party!
Everyone stayed where we were. I do remember 2 of the girls took almost 45 minutes to walk across their dorm room.

There are a lot of different 151 proof liquors out there but honestly, unless mixed in some sort of fruity combo- not that enjoyable.
Now, get some good Wrey and Nephew Overproof white rum from Jamaica- can drink it neat. Starts nice and sweet like sugar cane and then the sweat starts. lol believe it is 126 proof.

My whole neighbor comes to my wife if anyone in the house is sick- W&N Overproof, honey and lemon heated up like tea. Knock your ass out and you will sweat any toxins in your body out over night…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT