ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 Philadelphia Phillies Season And Post Season Thread

I think a long term deal for him has real risk - so much of his game his speed base which doesn’t age well (ala Carl Crawford). His defense is also trending the wrong way already

There are other IF options available, especially at SS (where Stott could then move to 2nd).

Reactions: RUfan2012
Trae Turner, anyone? Phils do save a bit off their salary by moving on from Segura, etc. One beat writer suggested Middleton could make one big splash again this offseason.

That's what folks are saying...

Seggy made $14.25M this year has a option for next year at $17M or a $1M buyout. They aren't paying him $17M so he's gonna get his $1M and hopefully a request from the Phils to stay free until the Phils get a SS or they bring him back. I think he's worth maybe up to $9M/year.

Nola's $18million option picked up by the Phillies.

Great stat on MLB this afternoon. Dusty Baker as a player and manager was involved in more playoff games then 22 of 30 MLB franchises 👀

I don't think Baker is a good manager - he just seems to get hired by good teams.

I don't think Baker is a good manager - he just seems to get hired by good teams.
Baker has a reputation for blowing out pitchers' arms. But he seemed good in handling his staff in the World Series. Of course, that's because he had a lights-out bullpen, and so he could pull Javier while pitching a no-hitter. But developing a lights-out bullpen takes a lot of savvy from a manager, who has to figure out who to warm up when. Baker also exuded calm -- which is something a manager must do.

Agreed - guess we’ll see how their markets look and how much pull Harper has. Either way think they will and should be in on a top ss
I thought this spring that the signings of Segura and Castellanos were the doing of Harper, who wanted other power bats to protect him in the line-up. Half of that worked out. The previous year Harper lobbied to keep Realmuto, and that's worked out well so far. I think he'll get what he wants -- probably Trea Turner.

Reactions: RUfan2012
I thought this spring that the signings of Segura and Castellanos were the doing of Harper, who wanted other power bats to protect him in the line-up. Half of that worked out. The previous year Harper lobbied to keep Realmuto, and that's worked out well so far. I think he'll get what he wants -- probably Trea Turner.

I don't think Harper had anything to do with Segura's contract. He signed a 5 year deal in mid 2017 with Seattle and the Phils traded for him later.

Reactions: RUScrew85
how many big contracts are Phils on the hook for in 2023. Turner is most likely going to be $25 mil + and he will want 7-8 years.
At SS, it may be a gamble long turn but if he is played at 2B, it should help him in the long run.
Not sure what type of player he will be in 5 or 6 years but for the next 4 years- complete stud player.

This piece by Matt Gelb (who used to cover the Phillies for the Inquirer and so knows them well) is behind a pay wall, so let me summarize:

The Phillies have $60 million coming off the payroll for luxury tax purposes.

It is thought unlikely that the Phils will accept the $17 million option on Segura. Maybe they'd resign him at a lower figure.

If Harper has surgery this winter, he may not be able to hit by opening day. If the doctors recommend a more conservative approach, he may find himself a DH all year if his throwing arm doesn't come around.

It could be Sosa at short and Stott at second, but it's more likely the Phils will go after one of the prime shortstops available this winter.

Andrew Painter will be given every opportunity to make the starting rotation in spring training. Minor league pitchers Mick Abel and Griff McGarry are also seen as possibilities . Eflin, Gibson and Syndergaard will all be free agents. https://theathletic.com/3770215/2022/11/07/phillies-offseason-decisions-world-series/

how many big contracts are Phils on the hook for in 2023. Turner is most likely going to be $25 mil + and he will want 7-8 years.
At SS, it may be a gamble long turn but if he is played at 2B, it should help him in the long run.
Not sure what type of player he will be in 5 or 6 years but for the next 4 years- complete stud player.

In 5 years they can swap Stott back to SS.

They have $160M-ish committed to next year.

Both the Harper and Wheeler contracts are very team friendly so maybe there's room for another.

Turner will be 30 next year - 7 or eight years? Maybe take five and get a last contract at 35?

I guess we'll see how much the Phils want to spend. Should be another fun offseason.

Reactions: TM94goRU
In 5 years they can swap Stott back to SS.

They have $160M-ish committed to next year.

Both the Harper and Wheeler contracts are very team friendly so maybe there's room for another.

Turner will be 30 next year - 7 or eight years? Maybe take five and get a last contract at 35?

I guess we'll see how much the Phils want to spend. Should be another fun offseason.
Team friendly is 5 years, player friendly is 7.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Todd Zolecki of mlb.com gives all the reasons for signing Trea Turner -- but cautions that players like that tend to end up where the money is the best even if they have a geographic preference. Case in point: Bryce Harper, who said he wanted to sign on the West Coast.

Zolecki points out that Hoskins's offensive numbers have been better than Anthony Rizzo's over Hoskins' career, except for what seems like a really small difference in OPS. Hoskins has a worse "outs above average" (-.9 as compared to -.3), but Hoskins had more runs saved this year. (+3 as against -3). Yet Rizzo was thought worth of a $20 million qualifying offer. So I wouldn't be that quick to dump Hoskins, except if a really good package gets offered. If the Phillies sign Rizzo, they lose their second and fifth picks in the international draft.

Todd Zolecki of mlb.com gives all the reasons for signing Trea Turner -- but cautions that players like that tend to end up where the money is the best even if they have a geographic preference. Case in point: Bryce Harper, who said he wanted to sign on the West Coast.

Zolecki points out that Hoskins's offensive numbers have been better than Anthony Rizzo's over Hoskins' career, except for what seems like a really small difference in OPS. Hoskins has a worse "outs above average" (-.9 as compared to -.3), but Hoskins had more runs saved this year. (+3 as against -3). Yet Rizzo was thought worth of a $20 million qualifying offer. So I wouldn't be that quick to dump Hoskins, except if a really good package gets offered. If the Phillies sign Rizzo, they lose their second and fifth picks in the international draft.
At this point of his career- the only benefit of Rizzo over Hoskins is fielding- just not worth it.

Reactions: retired711
Well kinda bad news. Harper had surgery today and it was determined he needed the full Tommy John surgery. Likely to miss playing until mid summer. Ugh.

Well kinda bad news. Harper had surgery today and it was determined he needed the full Tommy John surgery. Likely to miss playing until mid summer. Ugh.
This story (and another one I saw) says that Harper and the Phillies are hoping for mid-May, which is six months from now. It's very unlikely that he'll be able to play the field. (Thank heavens the National League adopted the DH). That means Castellanos has to play right field again. He was a much better fielder in the post-season tha nduring the regular season, and maybe that will carry over to next year. https://sports.yahoo.com/phillies-b...gery-hoping-for-mid-may-return-223747998.html

This story (and another one I saw) says that Harper and the Phillies are hoping for mid-May, which is six months from now. It's very unlikely that he'll be able to play the field. (Thank heavens the National League adopted the DH). That means Castellanos has to play right field again. He was a much better fielder in the post-season tha nduring the regular season, and maybe that will carry over to next year. https://sports.yahoo.com/phillies-b...gery-hoping-for-mid-may-return-223747998.html
Like Bohm, Castellanos after very rough starts they both played above average defence in the 2nd half.

I mean everyone knew it but now one said it, what I thought would happen.

officially expected "by" the All star break.

Like Bohm, Castellanos after very rough starts they both played above average defence in the 2nd half.
Bohm certainly did. But I really didn't notice Castellanos' defensive improvement until the post-season. In Bohm's case, becoming a better defender helped make him a better hitter. But nothing seemed to help Castellanos' hitting. The Phillies just have to hope he bounces back.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Looks like Eflin to the Rays for three years. Deets to follow I guess.

It's one of there largest contracts ever. Shocking. $11m, $11m, $18m
The Athletic reports that it is the largest free-agent deal in Rays' history. The Rays don't believe in having their starters go long in games, so they think it's OK to have Eflin, who has pitched over 130 innings in only one season. I have nothing against Eflin, but I think the Phillies made the right decision in letting him walk after he declined a $15 million option for a year.

Turner has signed.

The lineup should be-when Harper returns-Turner,Schwarber,Bohm,Harper,Realmuto,Castellanos,Hoskins,Marsh,and Stott.

Bummed you guys got Turner, was big talk about him getting signed by the Padres

Turner has signed.

The lineup should be-when Harper returns-Turner,Schwarber,Bohm,Harper,Realmuto,Castellanos,Hoskins,Marsh,and Stott.

I'd say

Turner
Stott/Marsh
Harper
Realmuto
Schwarber
Hoskins
Bohm
Casty
Marsh/Stott

I'd like to see Schwarber get up with guys on base.

But I can live with this too.

Turner
Schwarber
Harper
Realmuto
Hoskins
Bohm
Stott/Marsh/Casty
Marsh/Stott/Casty
Casty/Marsh/Stott

Last edited:
Lower AAV for more years like Harper's deal. Gives them yearly flexibility.

Not going to be pretty at the end of the deal, but who cares if we win a couple of WS and have a few runs like this year.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Congrats on Turner. Turner, Schwarber and Harper back to back to back is going to be a real murders row.

I'd say

Turner
Stott/Marsh
Harper
Realmuto
Schwarber
Hoskins
Bohm
Casty
Marsh/Stott

I'd like to see Schwarber get up with guys on base.

But I can live with this too.

Turner
Schwarber
Harper
Realmuto
Hoskins
Bohm
Stott/Marsh/Casty
Marsh/Stott/Casty
Casty/Marsh/Stott

Turner
Schwarber