ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 Philadelphia Phillies Season And Post Season Thread

Adding a starter and reliever. Like the walker signing he reinvented himself after TJ surgery and is a better pitcher now

Damn the Padres can't buy a FA this year. Turner turnered them down on more moolah and it looks like Judge did too.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Well Phillies fans, we can't ask for much more than this winter. Should be a fun year next year, and when Harper is back... Katie bar the door!!

Well Phillies fans, we can't ask for much more than this winter. Should be a fun year next year, and when Harper is back... Katie bar the door!!
I know I should be as optimistic as you, but I think October was a bit of a fluke. The team still doesn't have enough defense or pitching (starting or relieving), and I suspect there's a good reason the Dodgers were willing to let Trea Turner walk. Their record of success strongly suggests that they are better than the Phillies in assessing talent.

I know I should be as optimistic as you, but I think October was a bit of a fluke. The team still doesn't have enough defense or pitching (starting or relieving), and I suspect there's a good reason the Dodgers were willing to let Trea Turner walk. Their record of success strongly suggests that they are better than the Phillies in assessing talent.
Last October was a bit of a fluke, no one expected the run they went on. However as of right now they are better than that team. With Turner at SS, Stott at 2b, and Marsh in CF the defense is better up the middle. When Harper can play RF and Casty goes to DH, the defense there is better. Bohm was better at the end of the year. Hoskins and Schwarber are what they are, but again when Harper is back, they can move those guys around the DH.

With Walker, he's the 4th starter and will give the team 4 pitchers who are better than league average and pitched over 150 innings last year. Falter and the kids will pick up the rest of the innings.

I don’t think the playoff run was a fluke. We had the three starting pitchers which was all we needed to get through the first three rounds. The bullpen performed basically as well as they had during the regular season. The bats finally hit in the postseason they were supposed to based on the back of their baseball cards.

Did we put everything together at the right time? Absolutely. Was that a fluke? I think that’s an overly negative way to describe our success.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Totally agree. They got what they needed and did it quick. Not afraid to spend money. For the most part wisely. Now have 2 everyday superstars. It's going to be fun at Citizens Bank Park in 2023.

200.gif

• Haha
Money is a lot, but who cares. He'll fill in nicely as the #4 eating innings until the 3 kids are ready
Great until after the All Star break. I'll miss him, but the 2nd half of each of the last 2 seasons, production dropped. Over paid but he'll eat up innings no doubt.

Yes, wow! He is 34; he was 22 for 27 in save opportunities last year, which is OK but not great; his WHIP was 1.32 (average) and he had a 0.79 GO/AO ratio, which is a problem in a home run hitter's paradise like Citizens Bank Field.
Why didn't the Phillies keep Robertson instead of signing Kimbrel?

Phillies keep adding while the Mets can't figure out the Correa nightmare. Funny that Mets fans mocked SF Giants for getting out of that mess. Phillies trade Matt Vierling for reliever Gregory Soto. Other players involved but that is the trade. More help in the bullpen is what the Phillies need

Reactions: RutgersK1d
Phillies keep adding while the Mets can't figure out the Correa nightmare. Funny that Mets fans mocked SF Giants for getting out of that mess. Phillies trade Matt Vierling for reliever Gregory Soto. Other players involved but that is the trade. More help in the bullpen is what the Phillies need
Maton as well.

This should bolster the bullpen. Now it’s time to stay competitive and hope Harper comes back swinging.

This should bolster the bullpen. Now it’s time to stay competitive and hope Harper comes back swinging.
Harper is the team leader no doubt but the team played for him when he was out last year. There was a focus on last year's team that I've haven't seen since '93. They aren't Macho Row they are I got your back kind of team

Well hopefully Vierling, Sands and Maton get more chances to play over there. Vierling was a 4/5th outfileder. I like Maton and thought he had a future as an IF on the Phils. Sands is a catcher IIRC. If so he was blocked and of little value to the Phils.

Good trade. No one traded wasn't pretty easily replaceable.

Well hopefully Vierling, Sands and Maton get more chances to play over there. Vierling was a 4/5th outfileder. I like Maton and thought he had a future as an IF on the Phils. Sands is a catcher IIRC. If so he was blocked and of little value to the Phils.

Good trade. No one traded wasn't pretty easily replaceable.
Agreed

No nightmare- you realize they did not offer him anything binding yet. All they did was put themselves in position to negotiate. It is actually a smart move.
Phil’s will be a better team than your Yankees who most likely make the playoffs again because they do not have teams like the Phillies or Braves to contend with.

BTW- to the Phillies fans and not the Yankee guy- you have built a hell of a team. In the long run- you guys will most likely be in much better shape than the Braves. A couple of years ago, it looked like signing their stars so early was brilliant but I bet over tge next few years , a couple of those guys will be ehhhhh
Key to your season will be stay close until Harper is full speed. If you are in the lead or within 3 games- and he comes back strong..,you could run away

Reactions: RUfinally2008
No nightmare- you realize they did not offer him anything binding yet. All they did was put themselves in position to negotiate. It is actually a smart move.
Phil’s will be a better team than your Yankees who most likely make the playoffs again because they do not have teams like the Phillies or Braves to contend with.

BTW- to the Phillies fans and not the Yankee guy- you have built a hell of a team. In the long run- you guys will most likely be in much better shape than the Braves. A couple of years ago, it looked like signing their stars so early was brilliant but I bet over tge next few years , a couple of those guys will be ehhhhh
Key to your season will be stay close until Harper is full speed. If you are in the lead or within 3 games- and he comes back strong..,you could run away

JINX!!!!

Reactions: yesrutgers01
The three most concerning areas, other than a prolonged Harper recovery:
1.Will there by any residual effect from the increased work load of Nola,Wheeler,and Suarez?
2.Are they going to play Marsh against lefties?
3.Will Alvarado fall off due to less regular use because the more experienced Soto is now on board?

The three most concerning areas, other than a prolonged Harper recovery:
1.Will there by any residual effect from the increased work load of Nola,Wheeler,and Suarez?
2.Are they going to play Marsh against lefties?
3.Will Alvarado fall off due to less regular use because the more experienced Soto is now on board?

Talk of going to six man rotation. Kids in minors ready to pitch soon.
Talk of maybe looking at Cutch again.
Ya never know about bullpen arms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT