OT: Police activity on Voorhees mall

Status
Not open for further replies.

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
I just got the following e-mail from the Rutgers University Police Department:

RUPD-ALERT URGENT: All persons are to clear the Voorhees Mall area on College Ave Campus immediately due to police activity. RUPD is on scene. [05/02/24 17:50]

They cleared the protesters. Police gave a 4PM deadline and the protesters packed up and left.
Maybe there is a small contingent that decided they weren't done protesting?

If the New York Times is accurate, the administration made the same kind of deal with them that the Brown University administration did, so the encampers are happy. Edit: It also appears from the story that members of the faculty union tried to protect the encampers from arrest.

@DJ Spanky, is this too "political?"

Last edited:

A Note of Appreciation​

May 2, 2024
Members of the Rutgers Community,
I am writing to express my appreciation to all those who worked to bring a peaceful end to the protest on the Voorhees Mall on the College Avenue Campus of Rutgers–New Brunswick.
At the beginning of the semester, I asked the community to reflect on ways that we can preserve our freedoms in the face of forces that will seek to divide us, how we can embrace them with the awesome responsibility they require—to be respectful and openminded, to be intellectually honest and curious, and to be civil, decent, and understanding of one another.
We still have a great deal of work ahead and will continue to be tested. I ask everyone to be civil to one another, to be respectful of one another, and to embrace our shared humanity.
I wish all members of the community a successful and peaceful final week of the semester.
Sincerely,
Jonathan Holloway
President and University Professor

Disagree. And I’m not on the side of the protestors.

But this was great by both sides.

Could have had a ucla/Columbia situation..instead both sides talk and come to a conclusion.

Well done
Give them nothing. Should have called in the big guns, but Holloway is a sissy.

CrdP6NTWAAASZeV.jpg

What's with the demand to cut ties with Tel-Aviv University? It's a school, not the government or military.

Reactions: Bagarocks
This is yet another example of why I’ve personally “divested” from this university. I had a good four years at Rutgers many years ago, but I have no connection to it any longer. I don’t live in New Jersey. Now, I only follow the football and basketball teams. If Rutgers fell into the Raritan, I wouldn’t miss it. I can always find other teams to root for.

Disagree. And I’m not on the side of the protestors.

But this was great by both sides.

Could have had a ucla/Columbia situation..instead both sides talk and come to a conclusion.

Well done
I haven’t been paying attention to the protests. But if the protestors remained peaceful, and there wasn’t a bunch of anti-Semitic or other hate-based signage, then I agree with you.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I haven’t been paying attention to the protests. But if the protestors remained peaceful, and there wasn’t a bunch of anti-Semitic or other hate-based signage, then I agree with you.

I’m not sure about signs or antisemitic language. But all reports are it was an extremely peaceful few days.

Reactions: mildone
This is yet another example of why I’ve personally “divested” from this university. I had a good four years at Rutgers many years ago, but I have no connection to it any longer. I don’t live in New Jersey. Now, I only follow the football and basketball teams. If Rutgers fell into the Raritan, I wouldn’t miss it. I can always find other teams to root for.
+1
Hard to be associated with this university beyond athletics.

It wasn't peaceful. It was disruptive, trampled on the rights of other students, and blatantly antisemitic.

were you there? Was in NB earlier today snd drove by…looked like any other Thursday on campus. Reminded me of when students made a tent state protest years ago..so totally disagree about disruptive ..and trampling rights of students…

Again, no idea about antisemitism. But as far as breaking any laws..they didn’t.

Much better than getting police involved..which I’m afraid would have been the only other option.
That sets a precedent for anyone in the future to protest something. Get a big enough group and RU will cave in. I'm curious to see what eight of ten Rutgers conceded. Are you telling me if I get a big enough group and raise enough stink, I can get the next 10 family members a scholarship to Rutgers? Sign me up.

That sets a precedent for anyone in the future to protest something. Get a big enough group and RU will cave in. I'm curious to see what eight of ten Rutgers conceded. Are you telling me if I get a big enough group and raise enough stink, I can get the next 10 family members a scholarship to Rutgers? Sign me up.

Ru said no to 2 and 5

Yes. That’s unfortunately what protesting is…

Again..I don’t agree with the protestors at all..but was handled well by both sides

Interesting fact: Rutgers-New Brunswick has the second largest Jewish student population in the nation with 6,400 students. Only the University of Florida has more at 6,500.

Hillel.org

This concessions were not about anybody’s family members. So no, that’s not what anybody is telling you.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT