ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shoprite changing self serve to be 20 items or less

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
Shoprite is changing all of their self checkout lines to 20 items or less. I find that irritating. I got so used to self serve and I'm fast. If I make more can can sale purchases, I will have to wait in line with a person doing the check out. I can't figure out why they are changing all the lanes, most people get 20 or more items. The 20 or less lanes will be empty.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Target recently changed (or is now enforcing) self check out is 10 items or less.

Shoprite is changing all of their self checkout lines to 20 items or less. I find that irritating. I got so used to self serve and I'm fast. If I make more can can sale purchases, I will have to wait in line with a person doing the check out. I can't figure out why they are changing all the lanes, most people get 20 or more items. The 20 or less lanes will be empty.

I get it but I’ve been in there when it’s busy and there are people in self checkout with a cart full of stuff and taking their sweet ass time, screwing up and having to wait for the employee to help them, etc.

So I can see why they may try things to get those check outs moving faster.

Could be they have figured out there is more shrinkage (theft) at the self checkout particularly on larger purchases. Our shop rite has signs reminding people to put things in their cart. I guess some come with just their bags and load them up?

I’d hire an attorney if I was you

Wonder how the person with ten items feels waiting behind someone with a full cart.
No matter how fast the full cart person can check out a 20 item person probably would be faster and 10 item person happier.

Reactions: mosito
Wonder how the person with ten items feels waiting behind someone with a full cart.
No matter how fast the full cart person can check out a 20 item person probably would be faster and 10 item person happier.
Same as a person with 40 items waiting for the person in front of them with a full cart. Just have to wait your turn.

Reactions: ChasRC69
100% theft when the Walmart in our jurisdiction did this theft tripled

Same as a person with 40 items waiting for the person in front of them with a full cart. Just have to wait your turn.
best way is to have a 20 item limit self checkout and other SELF CHECKOUT as many items as you want..
I still prefer a person checking out my stuff 😁

Reactions: Extra Point
I get it but I’ve been in there when it’s busy and there are people in self checkout with a cart full of stuff and taking their sweet ass time, screwing up and having to wait for the employee to help them, etc.

So I can see why they may try things to get those check outs moving faster.
Yes, especially if the store manager refuses to staff express checkout lanes like they used to, prior to the self checkout paradigm took hold. The choice ends up being wait in line for people with carts full of stuff at a staffed lane, or wait in line for dimwits who cannot operate a bar code scanner and self-pay machine.

Reactions: Ty Webb
So glad they are doing this- we usually do bulk with BJ’s Whole Foods etc…ShopRite is usually just something we need. Almost never more than 5 items. And so often, the people with large carts that keep needing help as tge put items on the receiving shelf, then take them off to bag them so they have room and get the bagging area error.
Keep it for the quick checkouts.

It’s all related to theft so it’s inconvenient but I understand it.

In the past, if I bought a large quantity of something and I didn't want to unload it all from the cart to the conveyor I’d just put up 1 and tell the cashier how many of the item I had. The cashier would take my word. Now they come around to the cart and count. First time it happened I knew exactly why. Same for the limit on number of items at self checkout. Theft at retailers is a much bigger thing the last few years.

I do a few more items. As long as it fits into one bag no one complains. There are folks with half as much as me taking twice as long lol

Reactions: Extra Point
No they won't. People with more then 20 items are clogging the selves services lanes. I guess you didn't care that you were taking to much time and the people behind were pissed off. What they should all do, no matter what grocery store, is less then then 20 have to go to self checkout and those over 20 have to go to the regular lanes. It's the most efficient time wise.
You're also wrong that this is a ShopRite thing. It's up to each store to make that decision. Its your store and any of those possibly the same same ownership group.

SR is a good store but I only shop late at them.
Same for StopShop, FoodTown and other stores where they have a dozen registers and only 2 are open.
Stores like Uncle Giuseppe's and Trader Joe's are great at having registers open and even having bags.
Joe's is also cheaper than people think
Uncle Giuseppe's store meals are awesome - Foodtown's are like something made in prisons with license plates.

Irritating ? Do you know why this is being done? Of course not...this is being done to help alleviate shrink which contrary to some who refuse to admit the reality is not fake news… it is retail store wide. I had this conversation with a Shop Rite store manager post Christmas / New Years. The name of the game is control and force customers to show proof if questioned on way out. Hire an attorney? You ‘ll lose … this is coming for all the stores who instituted self check outs.Good for them and F the thieves who victimize not only the store but cause the prices to continue upwards.

Yes, especially if the store manager refuses to staff express checkout lanes like they used to, prior to the self checkout paradigm took hold. The choice ends up being wait in line for people with carts full of stuff at a staffed lane, or wait in line for dimwits who cannot operate a bar code scanner and self-pay machine.
All due to theft… and not only regulated to the poor , homeless street urchins. Much theft comes from those who have the means to pay for their groceries. The self checkouts with people have over 30 something items lent itself to the issue we have seen since 2021-2022 … ask Walmart and Target… locking up underwear. Only in Good Ole America.

good luck enforcing the bullshit...the kids who work the self check can barely handle all the coupons and other bullshit they want let you do..like bag as you scan which is entirely stupid you cannot have the bag in the bagging area.... i will continue to bring as many items I want to self checkout and see what they actually do

meanwhile not have handcarts continues to be ridiculous

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
good luck enforcing the bullshit...the kids who work the self check can barely handle all the coupons and other bullshit they want let you do..like bag as you scan which is entirely stupid you cannot have the bag in the bagging area.... i will continue to bring as many items I want to self checkout and see what they actually do

Here’s is a prime incident from a Shop Rite store which shows the boldness and lowlifes which exist in this country. On film a customer is seen wheeling a loaded cart towards the courtesy counter but suddenly turns and goes directly out the main door to the lot. Never stopped and this happens more than just a few times. Remember not only Shop Rite stores …. You will notice at Costco’s they are doing similar in attempting to control the garbage which floats through their business.

Hey the pandemic forced much of this “ no hand carts/ baskets .” Sanitation baby….sanitation….

They used to have one person now they have like 2-3 manning the self checkout area and sometimes they limit the self checkout lanes open if they don’t have enough manpower to watch.

That’s also a sign of trying to have more oversight for theft.

Even at Costco they’ve started to somewhat enforce membership scans at self checkout before you even get to the station. People were sharing memberships and using self checkout. Enforcement for that is off and on though. A couple times I saw some customers throw tantrums about it and I knew why.

They also have bar codes at the bottom of the carts that they scan now in the cashier lanes before they start scanning your items. They didnt used to do that. I asked the cashier why they did that but he didn’t know. I suspect it’s related to theft but wasn’t sure. I figure it’s to tie up items in the cart with the receipt for that order if there happens to be any discrepancies.

All the retailers are using various methods to reduce theft.

Here’s is a prime incident from a Shop Rite store which shows the boldness and lowlifes which exist in this country. On film a customer is seen wheeling a loaded cart towards the courtesy counter but suddenly turns and goes directly out the main door to the lot. Never stopped and this happens more than just a few times. Remember not only Shop Rite stores …. You will notice at Costco’s they are doing similar in attempting to control the garbage which floats through their business.
They will show you the signage… the only thing you could do is split your order. You ain’t helping anyone ….not even yourself by being stubborn… you want to stop theft which impacts everyone of us.

So theft is the reason. That makes sense because for a while SR suddenly had a security guard in the store and I didn't know why one was even needed. Recently I haven't seen a security guard.

So theft is the reason. That makes sense because for a while SR suddenly had a security guard in the store and I didn't know why one was even needed. Recently I haven't seen a security guard.
I’ve seen a police officer a couple times at Wegmans near the entry/exit. I’ve never seen that before in all the many years shopping there. I figure that’s also related to theft.

That's pure douche.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT