ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shoprite changing self serve to be 20 items or less

My ShopRite in Hamilton did this about 6 weeks ago. They said ShopRite had lost more than $10M in product because people weren't scanning all their items.

You can still scan more than 20, but you certainly can't go thru the lane with a full shopping cart the way you used to.

My Shoprite never seems to have enough manned checkout lanes open and have over 20 self check out spots sonthere is generally no wait even with full cart self option. Interesting to see how this all works out.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
My Shoprite never seems to have enough manned checkout lanes open and have over 20 self check out spots sonthere is generally no wait even with full cart self option. Interesting to see how this all works out.
Again this isn't a thing that every ShopRite is doing as each ShopRite is owned independently with most owners owning multiple stores. ShopRite is a Co-op.

No I’m a retiree who still has numerous contacts in the food industry . But your story sounds plausible to me but do realize there are many who have 10 items in their cart and scan only 3-4-5 figuring nobody is the wiser .During the pandemic store people just wanted to get people in and out as quickly as possible.
LOL I'm so glad it "sounds plausible" to you because it is 100% true. I'm a retiree who worked 38 years in sales and corporate for Pepsi, Kraft, and Nabisco (Mondelez). I have a few contacts of my own. BTW. The outgoing CEO of Wakefern is the owner of the Flemington SR. (who I ran into over the holidays in store) and my son dated the President's daughter for a short period of time. (Imagine the dance I did at work when he broke that one off).

Not sure what you're talking about. Our SR and the others close by me had a fullsize cart, a smaller cart and a basket you carried. They eliminated the latter shortly after snaggle tooth ball-less had us go bag-less.

Its the fricking thing you carry..basket hand cart same thing...its inexcusable it was eliminated

Our SR in Oakland usually has 8-12 human lines open and 8 self check.
The bag thing always pissed me off but the idea someone cshared above, put the first item in the bag and both together on the spot, brilliant. How do you handle a 2nd or 3rd bag? There is usually only space for one.

I used to get so hot and bothered by retail lines. But not any more. now I just relax, make a friend or just veg on my phone. ShopRite lines come in at third behind my shitter and doctor office waiting rooms as the most peace and quiet I ever get to enjoy.

It’s a basket… remember when you were a child and mommy took you to a store like the local market? Maybe a Dollar Tree ? Carts are the larger . Down south out west… some refer to shopping carts as “ buggies”.

On this board there are many who have other things in their hands ….I phones, Androids , beer , cigarettes , weed amongst other things ... it’s what’s really important in life… daily theft …. Not so much so.

Well you carry it in your hand..i call it a hand cart

Actually I thought you were referring to something I've seen in other stores somewhere, it's like a larger basket that you can carry, but it also has wheels on it and a way to pull it. Kind of a ridiculous looking thing, trying to remember which stores had it.

But I remember when ball-less sent us bag-less, it took about 2 weeks before the stores realized that everyone was using their baskets to carry stuff to their car and leaving them out in the parking lot. Then the baskets disappeared. Which led to people carrying things in their bags, which facilitated people "forgetting" to scan a couple of items.

People stole the baskets during pandemic and some stores never brought them back. The SR by me brought them back maybe 6-12 months ago but I never use them anymore. I just carry it by hand or take the small cart. A local ethnic grocer by me said they cost 10-15 bucks per basket so they never replaced them.

I never understood why people stole them. Just take the items out in the cart the same way you do at the warehouse clubs. I do that now on occasion if I happen to forget my bags in the car and don't want to bother to go back and get them.

Reactions: bac2therac
No problem with the change, but they better change the config too. As @DennisHajekRC84 knows, the Flemington SR is heavily skewed with selfies. I’d say more than half the checkout real estate is for that. Don’t know the exact numbers, but I’d say 20 selfs to 8 or so regulars. They need to add a few more regulars back or the wait time will be crappy.

Also as a member club they can require you to show receipts at exit. ShopRite can request but can't demand
They would always ask first but they do have the right… you do realize they have multiple cameras on every aisle , register , and they will be happy to show that person. If you have nothing to hide why be afraid to show your receipt ? Everyone understands how , whom and why this evolution of acceptable theft exists. 99.9% of shoppers abide by the rule of honesty …

Reactions: goru1869
People stole the baskets during pandemic and some stores never brought them back. The SR by me brought them back maybe 6-12 months ago but I never use them anymore. I just carry it by hand or take the small cart. A local ethnic grocer by me said they cost 10-15 bucks per basket so they never replaced them.

I never understood why people stole them. Just take the items out in the cart the same way you do at the warehouse clubs. I do that now on occasion if I happen to forget my bags in the car and don't want to bother to go back and get them.
People would steal your boxers if they thought they could succeed . This is only the first stages of decline In society.

Reactions: goru1869
The bag thing always pissed me off but the idea someone cshared above, put the first item in the bag and both together on the spot, brilliant. How do you handle a 2nd or 3rd bag? There is usually only space for one.
You place all the empty bags down ( self check) fill the first… take your 2nd empty and place more product in it …when filled go to number 3 and so on… not very hard for a Rutgers guy…😁

Oh and you can move the bags to your CART ….it won’t start blinking “ warning,warning danger Will Robinson.”

No problem with the change, but they better change the config too. As @DennisHajekRC84 knows, the Flemington SR is heavily skewed with selfies. I’d say more than half the checkout real estate is for that. Don’t know the exact numbers, but I’d say 20 selfs to 8 or so regulars. They need to add a few more regulars back or the wait time will be crappy.
When I went yesterday they had like 10 up and running cashiers. I THINK the configuration is like 20/12.. The stupid part was the store was executing a reset across multiple aisles..(where they have all these folks pulling the items off the shelves and adjusting the merchandise location and space. Wrong day for that given the elder panic going on.

I like the self scan because I could pre-set up the bags and do things in a logical manner...fridge items/shelf stable grocery/cleaning/produce...vs. having things belted at you. But I also enjoy knowing I'm helping keep somebody employed and I have my favorite cashiers and I try to make their days a little better. (I won't let my wife shop because her staging of items stinks! She just randomly puts stuff up there and it drives me nuts LOL!)

You place all the empty bags down ( self check) fill the first… take your 2nd empty and place more product in it …when filled go to number 3 and so on… not very hard for a Rutgers guy…😁
My store has a space that may be 18x18 at most…

I think 10 items should be the max. They are suppose to be like express checkout. I noticed lately people with full carts are using self check out. Yes, it more difficult to detect thefts with more items.

Actually I thought you were referring to something I've seen in other stores somewhere, it's like a larger basket that you can carry, but it also has wheels on it and a way to pull it. Kind of a ridiculous looking thing, trying to remember which stores had it.

But I remember when ball-less sent us bag-less, it took about 2 weeks before the stores realized that everyone was using their baskets to carry stuff to their car and leaving them out in the parking lot. Then the baskets disappeared. Which led to people carrying things in their bags, which facilitated people "forgetting" to scan a couple of items.
remember when Shop Rite had that big push on self scan with phone ? You scanned items and put them in you bag as you walked thru the store then just paid at the end. Yeah I guess that one worked well too lol. (I'm not blaming them. It is a tough business).

I think 10 items should be the max. They are suppose to be like express checkout. I noticed lately people with full carts are using self check out. Yes, it more difficult to detect thefts with more items.
Sorry dave. The new system was definitely NOT designed for express. That was the first phase that came right after the manned express lane system. It has continued to evolve since then.

yeah. Sounds like Oakland has the original "express checkout" configuration where there was only a little room BECAUSE it was express and limited order size. The newer configurations had much more bagging space (hence not express) where you wait in a que line and a Front end associate directs you to the next open self scan. Why perhaps some are confusing the two systems.

Sorry dave. The new system was definitely NOT designed for express. That was the first phase that came right after the manned express lane system. It has continued to evolve since then.
They should have express for max 5 items for a few self checkout and max 20 items for the other half of self checkout.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

Our local ShopRite has a couple 20 or less item manned check out lanes, a bunch of 20 or less self checkout lanes, regular checkout lanes and then three full self checkout lanes with conveyor belts.

Wonder if they will change it up. We know an owner of a few ShopRites and he said the family that owns our local one likes being the guinea pig for new things. Not sure how many people saw it but a few years ago, they tried that weird checkout with the big spinning top at the end where they could just run items through quickly, segment them into multiple shoppers and give them time to bag while they just kept running the next customer's through. Must have been a dud because they removed them about a year later.

Our local ShopRite has a couple 20 or less item manned check out lanes, a bunch of 20 or less self checkout lanes, regular checkout lanes and then three full self checkout lanes with conveyor belts.

Wonder if they will change it up. We know an owner of a few ShopRites and he said the family that owns our local one likes being the guinea pig for new things. Not sure how many people saw it but a few years ago, they tried that weird checkout with the big spinning top at the end where they could just run items through quickly, segment them into multiple shoppers and give them time to bag while they just kept running the next customer's through. Must have been a dud because they removed them about a year later.
Where was this located …what state? Spinning top with attempting to jam people through… surprising.

Also as a member club they can require you to show receipts at exit. ShopRite can request but can't dema
My store has a space that may be 18x18 at most…
No we understand that is the norm. Load up one bag at a time and you are able to put them one at a time in a shopping cart. Even with 20 items you should be able to put 6-8 per bag … If you have bulk items ( water , detergents etc. ) you can have the person on the line put a paid label on it. There are always at least one or two upfront people.

I dont understand how they can take them if there are always workers stationed in self checkout near the door

Another reason why the bag ban should be lifted

You should be able to bag as you scan..that rule is insane and slows everything down
Who told you that you can’t bag while you scan? You scan the item and place it inside the bag. Do you scan the item and lay it down and after completely done then put it away inside the bag? Seems counter productive in this busy world.

They should have express for max 5 items for a few self checkout and max 20 items for the other half of self checkout.
agree on the first part. my store used to have a system like that "under 10 , under 20 , etc" at the cashier lanes but that is no more. When I see a person get behind me with just a few (under 10) items I always offer them to get in front of me.
They should have an "experienced user" line like they do at the airports lol.

You should be able to bag as you scan..that rule is insane and slows everything down
The self checkout used to be somewhat sensitive many years ago, Always had to remind elderly relatives I took shopping not to pick up items already put down. Then I noticed suddenly that sensitivity was gone for a couple years. Now I think because of theft, they've become even more sensitive than they originally were.

I have bagpodz so those bags don't stand on their own. They're the ones that are scrunched into a pouch. So I just scan the first item, put it in the bag in the air and then put the bag down with the item in it and then hold the bag a little open for any additional items while it sits on the checkout scale. Do the same for any additional bags I use.

At Wegmans there are no issues with putting your bags down first. Their self checkout scales aren't as sensitive as SR. Same for WF.

LOL..they put these in to save money on labor and now they're complaining. My store has 20+ self scans so nobody is holding anybody up. But here is my story and why I told the manager at Flemington SR he can kiss my a$$ and I'll never use one again at his store.

I know how to scan groceries and instead of scanning each of the same box of pasta or cereal, etc by themselves I'd put the 3 in the bag and scan the one 4 times. Always did this to move it along. System locks up and the store manager accuses me of stealing groceries. He actually said they have me on tape and I do it all the time. Suspended my order and pulled me aside to audit my cart. I explained how I'd been in the CPG for 40 years and what I was doing and how he was going to owe me one HUGE apology once they got done with their re-scan. (all of this in front of those 20 other people). I WAS PISSED and spoke loudly and when they got done I asked "so how'd it match?" "It matched"...."of course it did because I don't steal your groceries! I've been coming here weekly for 32 years and know the owner personally. IF I shop here again I'll never ever use your self scan again! Now you can tell everyone here up front you're sorry." (which he did).

of course it wasn't that they made a mistake and mis-understood what was happening but the manner in which they handled the situation. I can't imagine the number of times they accuse grandma or grandpa of stealing because this technology isn't perfect and people make mistakes.
Yes people do make mistakes. People also come in contact with technologies which are sometimes off . People come in contact with over exuberant front end people , managers and security. Is that acceptable ? No but it does happen sometimes it is warranted. In 2020’s it is more warranted than not. Retail theft is driving the narrative at corporate levels. The fact is what you claim happened to you seldom happens… seldom… but if they did claim they had you multiple times on film my suggestion is did you ask to see the videos? And if they apologized ( as you claim) then they did what was right. I get asked to show receipts and Club cards at Costco, BJ’s ( hand receipt to party at door) If you didn’t steal then you need have no worries. How many times has someone had an item underneath the cart? Yes it does happen and many times it goes undetected and noticed.

Who told you that you can’t bag while you scan? You scan the item and place it inside the bag. Do you scan the item and lay it down and after completely done then put it away inside the bag? Seems counter productive in this busy world.

If you put the bag in the bagging area..the scanner recognizes this and you cant scan until you remove it from the bagging area

Reactions: beelzebub14
If you put the bag in the bagging area..the scanner recognizes this and you cant scan until you remove it from the bagging area
Yes that does happen. Is it an inconvenience and annoying ? Yes the people upfront realize this problem. There are more things which people find worse in their lives. Sadly this entire issue was caused by what is far worse and has now become a serious issue and just not supermarkets. Somebody mentioned Gen Z… the entitled and owed group . It is a mix of many different groups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT