ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shoprite changing self serve to be 20 items or less

To me an item is anything with the the same UPC. 12 bottles of diet Coke is 1 item.
From the company's operations perspective, I think that's probably correct. Like I'd see it similar to when you find a lot more SKUs in a supermarket vs a warehouse club....as in actual distinct things.

But from a checkout line perspective, I don't think that's what is meant. Anything that must be scanned individually is a separate item. If you had 12 bottles of something and each had to be scanned individually that's 12 items. However, if those 12 bottles were bundled and shrink wrapped and you just had to scan 1 UPC, that's 1 item. Or if you bought 5 oranges, weighed them, put on a sticker for scanning or took it to the self checkout and put in the PLU code once that's 1 item.

From the company's operations perspective, I think that's probably correct. Like I'd see it similar to when you find a lot more SKUs in a supermarket vs a warehouse club....as in actual distinct things.

But from a checkout line perspective, I don't think that's what is meant. Anything that must be scanned individually is a separate item. If you had 12 bottles of something and each had to be scanned individually that's 12 items. However, if those 12 bottles were bundled and shrink wrapped and you just had to scan 1 UPC, that's 1 item. Or if you bought 5 oranges, weighed them, put on a sticker for scanning or took it to the self checkout and put in the PLU code once that's 1 item.
The common sense factor sometimes gets lost...lol

You are spot on and hard to believe anyone needs this broken down. Anything with it's own sku to be scanned is one item. A sixpack of soda s obviously scanned only once and thus 1 item- 6 bottles of 2 litter soda- is scanned 6 times so 6 items.
Anyone that tries to say different, is just wrong.

The greatest mistake is reading posts where the individual really has no expertise in the field being discussed . Picking and choosing what they want while not really talking to those in charge to get their opinion about the subject and issue. Making up , picking / choosing where it suits their protestations while theorizing what is the cause of the scanning, petty theft, miss labeling and that companies are the reason for food prices the past 3 years being so steep. The customer used to be considered ( ALWAYS) right. That thinking has been put on the sideline until this petty theft issue gets resolved . If it continues without consequences you will have many more food desert towns and cities.

You are spot on and hard to believe anyone needs this broken down. Anything with it's own sku to be scanned is one item. A sixpack of soda s obviously scanned only once and thus 1 item- 6 bottles of 2 litter soda- is scanned 6 times so 6 items.
Anyone that tries to say different, is just wrong.

Tell that to the little old lady in the express lane with 42 cans of catfood on sale.

Reactions: Ty Webb
With almost 30 years developing software systems in the food distribution industry I may have picked up some knowledge about how things work.

And yet it's still bizarre that you would think scanning 48 boxes/containers/cans would only count as 6 items in the scenario presented.

The whole point of the 15 items or less lines was to allow people with a small number of items to get through a checkout faster than if they had to wait in the regular line. You showing up with 48 things that have to be scanned kinda defeats that purpose.

Reactions: PeteGiam07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT