ADVERTISEMENT

OT: TGI Fridays closings in CNJ

Ronnie_B

All American
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2011
At least a half dozen of their restaurants have shut down including ones in Woodbridge, Old Bridge, Hazlet, North Brunswick, etc....

Anyone who has been to one in the past couple years shouldn't be surprised.

Unless you have a special niche or dedicated clientele base, I think a lot of restaurants are going to shutter until inflation and the economy improves.

Geez, I didn't know they closed the ones in Watchung and Piscataway - haven't been in a long time. I know that Shop Rite is modernizing and expanding its Blue Star store taking over some of the vacant stores there. I don't thing that would apply to TGIF as it was set off from the main shopping center.

Geez, I didn't know they closed the ones in Watchung and Piscataway - haven't been in a long time. I know that Shop Rite is modernizing and expanding its Blue Star store taking over some of the vacant stores there. I don't thing that would apply to TGIF as it was set off from the main shopping center.
Growing up in Scotch Plains, that Watchung TGIF was a catch-all for many birthday dinners as kids, and get-togethers for drinks in our early 20's. On Christmas Eve every year, my father and I would stop there to grab a couple beers as it was on our way home from our pre-Christmas Day food pickups and errand running. We're no longer in NJ, but sad to see it go nonetheless.

Loved the one at Blue Star
A smooth special during my single days

Reactions: RUfromNJ
The Fridays in Woodbridge on Gil Lane (behind the Toys R Us) was the go-to place to celebrate birthdays for my crew in high school.

People I graduated HS with worked their way through school as bartenders there.
We’d always stop there whenever I was rolling through my old hood (Scotch Plains)

Then in my new hood, the one in Flemington right off the circle was to go to spot (which I believe is now a chimney rock inn)

At least a half dozen of their restaurants have shut down including ones in Woodbridge, Old Bridge, Hazlet, North Brunswick, etc....

Anyone who has been to one in the past couple years shouldn't be surprised.
The one at Princeton Market Fair closed early this year. No surprise. TGIF is a remnant of the 90s and 2000s. Fun place that had its time.

Reactions: iReC89
I met my future wife at the Fridays (on a Friday) in Woodbridge some some 34 years ago.
I spent a lot of time and $$$ in that place in the 90s. There were always WWF wrestlers hanging out there for some reason.

Took my kids there about 2 years ago and it was terrible. Run down, service and food were terrible. Haven’t been back but when I drove by recently I saw it was closed down.

I spent a lot of time and $$$ in that place in the 90s. There were always WWF wrestlers hanging out there for some reason.

Took my kids there about 2 years ago and it was terrible. Run down, service and food were terrible. Haven’t been back but when I drove by recently I saw it was closed down.
Which WWE wrestlers were there? Also, I wonder why they frequented that spot? Can't think of a local venue near there where they would have wrestled at, or any that lived local?

Lots of restaurants closing - and supermarkets, pharmacies etc

Walgreens is closing 1,200 stores​

I lived nearby there in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s. At the time I was working in NYC and would stop in on a Friday before going home. Don’t recall WWF wrestlers but I probably would not recognize them, wasn’t a viewer of that stuff.

A lot of these ‘American sports bar’ type chains are closing up as more people tend to support the locally owned spots, at least in my area. We’ve seen TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee’s all close down in my area with BWW always empty unless there’s a UFC fight.

I remember a long, long time ago when I was dating my wife, they opened a new TGI Fridays in Secaucus. Great place, we went there a lot. I think it got more of its clientele from the lunch hour crowd because it never was that packed in the evenings. That one closed quite a while ago, but we have fond memories of it.

To be honest I thought this was an old thread.

As I assumed they were already gone. Like a while ago.

They had some decent combo meals and would stop at one visiting family. Healthier options like Panera, Chipotle and Honeygrow may be cutting into the glutinous casual dining market.

Times when people feel negatively about the economy, value becomes a priority.

$30 gets you way more at specialty burger joints as many have already mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT