ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The OFFICIAL UW at RU Weather Thread: Looking Like a Gorgeous Day on Friday

Does anyone ever recall us winning a game in really awful weather? I don't. Seems to me in addition to getting wet (and cold) I don't remember ever celebrating a victory in the rain. I remember a lot of very wet disappointments however.
1987 - we beat Duke/Spurrier 7-0 at Giants Stadium in bad weather. That was the first one to come to mind but I'm sure there are others. But you're right our track record in bad weather isn't good.

It looks as if Accu-Weather was only off a few degrees.Not bad from 90 days away.

Michigan State forecast is out:Mostly cloudy,high of 58.

A lot of the away Army games were miserable but wins. One of our best losses was to a Reggie White lead Tennessee in a frigid windy Giants Stadium.

It looks as if Accu-Weather was only off a few degrees.Not bad from 90 days away.

Michigan State forecast is out:Mostly cloudy,high of 58.

As I said in the other thread, 71/54, which is the current forecast, vs. the 79/63 prediction 90 days ago, is nowhere near close. When the expected low temperature of 54F is closer to the record low temp of 46 than it is to the 90-day prediction of 63F, that's a shitty prediction.

And those stupid 30/45/90 day predictions generally just show temps not too far from what climatology would predict, so they're never ridiculously far off, and they never predict record weather or major storms, since they know they'll be wrong on those predictions nearly 100% of the time. I can't make you stop posting these dumb forecasts, but I wish you would stop.

"The forecasts can't be trusted at all, according to US meteorologist Dan Satterfield. "We are in the realm of palm reading and horoscopes here, not science," he said in a blog post. "This kind of thing should be condemned and if you have an AccuWeather app on your smart phone, my advice is to stand up for science and replace it."

https://www.sciencealert.com/how-many-days-can-you-trust-the-weather-forecast-for

Reactions: Local Shill
Just about a lock now for a nice day on Friday, as the remants of Harvey will remain in Texas through the end of the week, and the trough and attendant cold front will sweep through the area late on Thursday into very early Friday, clearing the area by Friday morning, producing dry and slightly cooler than normal conditions on Friday, with highs in the mid-70s and temps dropping through the 60s during the game. Some folks might even find it cool by the end of the game.

Looks like an awesome day for a tailgate and football game. It's still 5 days out, but confidence is very high in this forecast - it's extremely unlikely the model consensus on the frontal progression timing is off by 18 hours or more, which is what would need to happen to bring any risk of rain to the afternoon and evening on Friday. Wish I could be there for the tailgate and hoping to at least get clearance to come up for the game (we're in OCNJ all week and Friday is my wedding anniversary).

The model guidance is trending toward an earlier arrival for
Thursday night`s cold front. It looks as though it will pass
through most of eastern Pennsylvania, northeastern Maryland, New
Jersey and Delaware on Thursday evening. It may bring showers
and thunderstorms around that time. High pressure and dry weather are expected for Friday and Saturday.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Been away from the board mostly (on vacation in OCNJ), but if it's not obious from all the forecasts out there, it's now an absolute lock for a gorgeous day on Friday for tailgating and football. Temps will be nearly 10F below normal with highs in the low 70s and Saturday morning lows in the low 50s (normal is 82/61F). Will likely be in the low/mid 60s at kickoff and could even be in the upper 50s by the end of the game, which some will find cool.

Been away from the board mostly (on vacation in OCNJ), but if it's not obious from all the forecasts out there, it's now an absolute lock for a gorgeous day on Friday for tailgating and football. Temps will be nearly 10F below normal with highs in the low 70s and Saturday morning lows in the low 50s (normal is 82/61F). Will likely be in the low/mid 60s at kickoff and could even be in the upper 50s by the end of the game, which some will find cool.

Still shorts weather.

Still shorts weather.

Hell yeah! Shorts weather goes down to about 40F.

Of course, right now I'm down the Shore in OCNJ with my family...and my mom, dad, and sister, who all live in Florida, have been complaining about how "cold" the highs in the mid-70s are and they bundle up at night to go on the boardwalk or out to dinner with temps in the low/mid 60s. My son and I just chuckle, lol.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Of course, right now I'm down the Shore in OCNJ with my family...and my mom, dad, and sister, who all live in Florida, have been complaining about how "cold" the highs in the mid-70s are and they bundle up at night to go on the boardwalk or out to dinner with temps in the low/mid 60s. My son and I just chuckle, lol.
Send them in the ocean. I went swimming Sunday evening in Belmar, and it was "cold" when I got out of the ocean.

Go to the Varsity Inn for breakfast.

http://varsityinnocnj.com/

Slightly off topic: #, what's the timing look like for when the remnants of Harvey (not Matt Harvey, that is) coming through the area. I have Yanks-Red Sox tickets and I'm hoping not to get soaked --or rained out.

Last edited:
NJ101.5 is saying rain possible Friday night. Has something changed? Has the lock been broken?

Nice posts RU848789......but I have to wonder do you dislike AccuWeather because they are from PSU? Cheers friend.....

Classic. Two days before game and now 15% chance of rain and kinda cold. So much for gorgeous forecast. Hope this does not turn out like the other gorgeous forecasts where I sat in the rain all game. Forecasting smorecasting...

Last edited:
Harvey's waste will be moving in quicker than early expected but right now that would seem to still not be until after the game would be over...stay tuned because models have been atrocious with their 3-4 day outlooks the last several months

According to Accuweather, 62 degrees at kick, 57 degrees by midnight. Partly cloudy, becoming cloudy, light wind (4-6 mph)
If that holds, couldn't ask for better weather for a season opener! :football:[thumb2]

Meh! Wanted hazy hot and humid for our Washington guests. Want to sweat and shorts on September 1st.

According to Accuweather, 62 degrees at kick, 57 degrees by midnight. Partly cloudy, becoming cloudy, light wind (4-6 mph)
If that holds, couldn't ask for better weather for a season opener! :football:[thumb2]

Ehhh...Not good for viewing pleasure in the parking lot in the stands, however!

Nice posts RU848789......but I have to wonder do you dislike AccuWeather because they are from PSU? Cheers friend.....

Not at all. AccuWeather generally does an excellent job with short to medium term (<7-8 days) forecasting. I grew up on AccuWeather when they were just getting started in the 70s - Elliot Abrams, Dr. Joel Myers, et al were great. The problem with AccuWeather is that in the past 5-10 years or so, the profit motive has apparently led them to want clicks so badly that they have put out ridiculous long range forecasts that no meteorologist (including any of theirs if they're speaking off the record) takes seriously, as per the links I posted. It's actually quite an embarrassment in the community.

I see rain SATURDAY night maybe into Sunday..ohh ...they just put it in 15% chance of rain 7pm-400am FRIDAY night.
https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/nj/new-brunswick/08901/date/2017-09-01

Classic. Two days before game and now 15% chance of rain and kinda cold. So much for gorgeous forecast. Hope this does not turn out like the other gorgeous forecasts where I sat in the rain all game. Forecasting smorecasting...

Relax. It's still going to be a gorgeous day and it'll get cloudier in the evening, but nobody is calling for any measureable rain before Saturday morning (including Wunderground and AccuWeather - they're only talking about a couple of spritzes that would put down <0.01" of rain). Nobody. The NWS and most other sources won't even say "slight chance of showers" when that chance is less than 20%, which is the case for Friday evening. 90% of dry days carry a 10% chance of a shower at some point.

Furthermore, the NWS in their most recent update is still calling for mostly cloudy, cool and dry conditions for the game, with precip chances less than 5% during the game as per the graphic below. I'll take their forecast made by expert meteorologists with local expertise, over that of every other service. They're far from perfect, but nobody's perfect in this business.

Could they all be wrong and we get some minor measureable rain during the game from the remnants of Harvey? Of course, that's a possibility, but it's a very low probability outcome and not one I'm particularly worried about at this time. And if that threat does actually materialize we'll all know about it before the game and people can then prepare for it.

Plotter.php

Slightly off topic: #, what's the timing look like for when the remnants of Harvey (not Matt Harvey, that is) coming through the area. I have Yanks-Red Sox tickets and I'm hoping not to get soaked --or rained out.

A date would help. If you're talking about Friday or Sunday night, don't worry; Saturday and Saturday night are likely to be wet, although it might not be enough rain to cancel a baseball game - probably close, as we could see 1/2" or more of rain - depends when the heaviest rain falls.

A date would help. If you're talking about Friday or Sunday night, don't worry; Saturday and Saturday night are likely to be wet, although it might not be enough rain to cancel a baseball game - probably close, as we could see 1/2" or more of rain - depends when the heaviest rain falls.

Sorry...tix are for the 1:00 Saturday game. I understand that later Saturday into Sunday morning it's supposed to be the worst of the weather--so far.

We are tailgating in E-1 north of the stadium starting at noon if any Rutgers fans making the trip to Seattle want to stop by. Just look for a five by five Husky flag flying alongside a five by five "Purple J" flag above an '82 30 foot green Winnebago.

Plenty of Cold Rainier Beer, Tequilla, and Makers Mark. Hot chocolate if the temperature drops.

Well also have plenty of ribs courtesy of Ribs-N-Rickshaw.

Should be a great game!

Reactions: KTRBdawg
Relax. It's still going to be a gorgeous day and it'll get cloudier in the evening, but nobody is calling for any measureable rain before Saturday morning (including Wunderground and AccuWeather - they're only talking about a couple of spritzes that would put down <0.01" of rain). Nobody. The NWS and most other sources won't even say "slight chance of showers" when that chance is less than 20%, which is the case for Friday evening. 90% of dry days carry a 10% chance of a shower at some point.

Furthermore, the NWS in their most recent update is still calling for mostly cloudy, cool and dry conditions for the game, with precip chances less than 5% during the game as per the graphic below. I'll take their forecast made by expert meteorologists with local expertise, over that of every other service. They're far from perfect, but nobody's perfect in this business.

Could they all be wrong and we get some minor measureable rain during the game from the remnants of Harvey? Of course, that's a possibility, but it's a very low probability outcome and not one I'm particularly worried about at this time. And if that threat does actually materialize we'll all know about it before the game and people can then prepare for it.

Plotter.php

Stlll looking to be a gorgeous, cooler-than-normal day with highs around 70F, even under full sun during the day, which is 12 degrees below normal (82/61F is normal for 9/1). Will become partly to mostly cloudy in the evening with temps in the mid-60s at kickoff and around 60F at midnight, but there is less than a 5% chance of rain before Saturday morning.

Light winds are also expected during the evening, so even though some ladies and small children might need a wrap, most football fans will think it's beautiful. As I said, nothing to worry about. Enjoy the game. Updated hourly graphic below.

Plotter.php

Sorry...tix are for the 1:00 Saturday game. I understand that later Saturday into Sunday morning it's supposed to be the worst of the weather--so far.

Latest forecast has the rain in NYC holding off until at least early afternoon and even then, the forcast amounts of rain through about 4-5 pm are <0.05", which most people consider nuisance rain. So, the game will very likely go on and you might get a bit wet, but it's not going to be a soaker. Having said that, the event is still 48 hours away, so keep checking the forecast. Enjoy.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-73.88735930175781&lat=40.87872672416427#.WagHPD595nI

Plotter.php

Reactions: Rutgers1976
It gone be chilly during the game...its not a shirt and shorts kind of night...hope everyone comes prepared

Certainly a shirt and shorts night for me. C'mon, temps in the mid-60s at kickoff and maybe just into the upper 50s by the end of the game, with little to no wind, should not be an issue, except for ladies and small chlidren, as I said above. Going to be a gorgeous day.

Only slight change in the forecast is less clouds during the game - and the tiny 3-5% risk of a spritz is now essentially 0% chance. NWS wins this one over Wunderground - I hope nobody was taking the rain "threat" too seriously.

[roll]

It's funny because it's true. Can't tell you how many times I've been in meetings that devolved in just that way.

I'm gonna have to binge watch that show one of these months.

You're a programmer and you haven't watched that show yet? Funniest show on TV - if you like that clip, you'll love the show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT