ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Why the real estate market is not in a bubble: Q1 2023 update video added to OP

Umm...everywhere? Prices across the board since 2020 are up nearly 30%. Even the CPI over a 3 year period is nearly 20%. Hope you are kidding.
My costs have not gone up 30% in 3 years.

Can you link data to that claim you are making.

I am editing to add that I did make some simple changes in my food purchases in that I moved to store brand products if the quality was the same and I am a consistent buyer of the same 15-20 products weekly.
I have not car shopped either.

Last edited:
Im skeptical only because ive never met someone when buying who ever talks about the state and local tax deductions effecting how much theyre willing to pay and ive sold hundreds of homes. It will certainly boost our local economies a little though as homeowners will have more $$ to spend.

Gotta be honest though, selfishly for tax purposes (all i really care about) i hope trump gets back in office, restarts 100% bonus depreciation through budget reconciliation even if if means instituting SALT again. For my personal situation 100% means more for me than getting SALT deductions back.
Its not selfish it probably is the main factor in voting. People vote for what they see as the person who will provide the best chance to deliver a benefit to them.

It's what we see as the benefit that determines who that is.

Reactions: KK1827
With core pce already below 2% (annualized the past 6 months), if it stays at 2% then 6 cuts might not be enough. 200bps+ over core pce is super restrictive and nowhere close to neutral.
I'm more of a hawk than a dove. I would be all for keeping it tight. Having inflation increase nearly 30% in 3 years and then only going up 2-5% a year still sucks. I don't think they want to repeat the 70s/80s when they started cutting too quickly and then inflation spiked again.

2% is where they want to be, don't see why they would need to cut 6 times if that's where we're trending and remember the American consumer still keeps spending and spending.

My costs have not gone up 30% in 3 years.

Can you link data to that claim you are making.

I am editing to add that I did make some simple changes in my food purchases in that I moved to store brand products if the quality was the same and I am a consistent buyer of the same 15-20 products weekly.
I have not car shopped either.
No. You can go and do your own homework. Start with CPI YOY which is a flawed metric.

Then look at how much homes have increased in your neighborhood since 2020. Then construction costs. Then eggs. Then cars.

If. you cannot even acknowledge this then I'm done with you. Its a waste of my time.

No. You can go and do your own homework. Start with CPI YOY which is a flawed metric.

Then look at how much homes have increased in your neighborhood since 2020. Then construction costs. Then eggs. Then cars.

If. you cannot even acknowledge this then I'm done with you. Its a waste of my time.
Why would I start with a flawed metric. You have made 2 financial claims, and both are not correct.

If it makes you feel better to be done with me that is fine. I am willing to look at evidence but if it gets you upset to provide it that is no loss to me.

Out of those listed I buy eggs- once the Avian flu was done egg prices dropped. I bought 18 for $3.99 yesterday. I might look for a car soon and have read that used car prices are expected to drop like a stone. When I finally decide to sell my house to an Orthodox family, I hope they are still overpaying.

Reactions: BossNJ
I'm more of a hawk than a dove. I would be all for keeping it tight. Having inflation increase nearly 30% in 3 years and then only going up 2-5% a year still sucks. I don't think they want to repeat the 70s/80s when they started cutting too quickly and then inflation spiked again.

2% is where they want to be, don't see why they would need to cut 6 times if that's where we're trending and remember the American consumer still keeps spending and spending.
This has almost zero similarities to 70’s-80’s. This was a supply shock driven by covid.

And companies taking an opportunity to increase their prices as a result.

And they have every right to do it, but the increases were greater than necessary and were to increase profits not just to meet new costs.

Reactions: BossNJ
This has almost zero similarities to 70’s-80’s. This was a supply shock driven by covid.
I know that. I am explaining the Fed's rationale. This has been discussed in by people in the industry.

I know that. I am explaining the Fed's rationale. This has been discussed in by people in the industry.
I think its jaw boning by the fed to maintain tight conditions any time they mention/leak 70’s/80’s volcker narrative. But make no mistake, the December 13th presser was the pivot. Austin Gollsbee has even begun shitposting on twitter. Theyve declared victory.

Lawyer, but pretty much every white collar person i know got a new higher paying job or promotion since 21, if not 2 or 3.
Yeah so IT and attorney I didn't see much of a slow down from those industry groups, so that makes sense. There have certainly been recessionary pockets in different industries.

Yeah so IT and attorney I didn't see much of a slow down from those industry groups, so that makes sense. There have certainly been recessionary pockets in different industries.
IDK, in our space, patents, seems like no growth, pinching pennies or layoffs and cutbacks. Trying to get a rate increase through a fortune 500 company is pain.

Same

I had more income coming in in 2023 than I ever had and I retired in January

2022 was also a good year
Not to pile on but the really interesting statement that was made was ‘real estate was an absolute bloodbath this year’. Here I am, working directly in real estate, having my best year of all time…. Might just be that the news these people consume simply isn’t telling the reality, or the whole story anyway

Not to pile on but the really interesting statement that was made was ‘real estate was an absolute bloodbath this year’. Here I am, working directly in real estate, having my best year of all time…. Might just be that the news these people consume simply isn’t telling the reality, or the whole story anyway
Builders are less affected or are in a different class than real estate agents or mortgage brokers. Some people are hurt more than other and probably 80% feel the inflation but aren’t hurt by it, they adjust. Those same people that are really affected in the real estate industry don’t mention that their income was unreal for the last few years when house prices did go up 30% a year causing the inflation. They dislike the fact that their income isn’t increasing significantly every year like the past several years.

Last edited:
Builders buy down rates too. If you buy direct from builder youre getting rates today in the low to mid 5’s
Mostly temporary buydowns but yes we absolutely do this. That’s how I’ve been selling all year as a builder. people close and we pay for a 2/1 buydown, bank throws in a re-fi that doesn’t expire for 10 years and they walk away happy. Fortunately with rates coming back to earth it’s worked out very well for my buyers

Builders are less affected or are in a different class than real estate agents or mortgage brokers. Some people are hurt more than other and probably 80% feel the inflation but aren’t hurt by it, they adjust. Those same people that are really affected in the real estate industry don’t mention that their income was unreal for the last few years when house prices did go up 30% a year causing the inflation. They dislike the fact that their income isn’t increasing significantly every year like the past several years.
What you just described is a far cry from ‘real estate is a bloodbath’.

I do however fully agree that real estate agents in particular are completely over saturated (coming from someone who holds a real estate license in 4 states and works with different agents and agencies every day). For example there’s a remax office near my house I do a lot of business with, they have 86 agents…. One office, there’s 7 real estate offices in my town (suburb of DC).

Lotta people simply got into real estate the last few years, found some early dumb luck and now have no idea what to do that they actually have to sell nowadays rather than simply take orders like it was in 2021 into 2022 where real estate agents essentially would look at their clients and ask ‘would you like fries with that?’

Real estate was a bloodbath this year.

1) Total sales volume measured by units was down nearly 50% on the 1-4 family side and nearly 70% on the commercial side.

2) anyone who has floating rate debt saw rate cap prices skyrocket. We bought a rate cap at a 1% strike for 2 years on a $25,300,000 loan in Sept-21 for $33,000. We had to buy another one in Sept-23 this year at a 2% strike and it cost us $800,000.

3) new permits are down 43%**

4) interest rates are up 5% and by 5% i mean 500bps over the past 2 years

5) mortgage lenders had mass layoffs

The Real estate space is in a recession. It’s not an opinion it is objectively a fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUskoolie
It is interesting fact and could be the reason my contrarian views are wrong. The pain is specific to groups and not wide spread.

Real estate was a bloodbath this year.

1) Total sales volume measured by units was down nearly 50% on the 1-4 family side and nearly 70% on the commercial side.

2) anyone who has floating rate debt saw rate cap prices skyrocket. We bought a rate cap at a 1% strike for 2 years on a $25,300,000 loan in Sept-21 for $33,000. We had to buy another one in Sept-23 this year at a 2% strike and it cost us $800,000.

3) new permits are down 33%

4) interest rates are up 5% over the past 2 years

5) mortgage lenders had mass layoffs

The Real estate space is in a recession. It’s not an opinion it is objectively a fact.
Is it down 50% from sales that the previous 2 years were up from some astronomical high number compared to “normal “ years?

It is interesting fact and could be the reason my contrarian views are wrong. The pain is specific to groups and not wide spread.
And that happens almost every year.

Most people are doing okay and a specific area of the economy is not

Is it down 50% from sales that the previous 2 years were up from some astronomical high number compared to “normal “ years?
The 10 years from 2012-2021 median exisiting home sales per year was 6.02 million. We are currently at this moment trending at sub 4,000,000 annualized for 2023 based on october data.

Then you’re the outlier. Every lender, title company, home inspector and most realtors I spoke to this year had a very down year.

Reactions: Jimpeg
not really. Interest rate should impact everyone. Just a lot of anomalies in the market/economy.
I am 65 so my experience with interest rates makes it difficult to get overly concerned that these rates are so bad.

I am more of the opinion that rates were unrealistically low previous to this.

You are talking to a guy who thinks there has been no inflation.
Crybaby I never said no inflation. I said show me where it was 30%.

But what can we expect when you say the market was down 2 years and dave shows you the number and you whine about that.

I am 65 so my experience with interest rates makes it difficult to get overly concerned that these rates are so bad.

Youre looking at the wrong numbers. Id LOVE to have bought at those basis’ when rates were 15-20% as the monthly payment as % of income wasnt even remotely close to what it is today. Housing was MUCH MORE affordable when rates were 15-20% decades ago than they are at 6-8% at todays prices

Youre looking at the wrong numbers. Id LOVE to have bought at those basis’ when rates were 15-20% as the monthly payment as % of income wasnt even remotely close to what it is today. Housing was MUCH MORE affordable when rates were 15-20% decades ago than they are at 6-8% at todays prices
You would know better than me. I bought or sold a home in 1986 and 1996. In 1986 it seemed very expensive and I purchased a home that was really not worth the cost. I sold in 1996 and purchased a new home for a very cheap price but I also would have lost money on my first home if I did not subdivide the property and sell off a lot.

Prices seemed tough in 1986 and cheap in 1996.

I started looking in the early 80's and had to stop because rates were so high.

That makes sense. But put yourself in someone in their late 20s to early 30s shoes. Today’s home prices at today's rates is punitive. Rates were way too low but for way too long. Remember all the talk about the new normal?

Yes, it's called a dose of reality. As the mutual fund prospectus says, past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. Some people never learn that lesson.

That makes sense. But put yourself in someone in their late 20s to early 30s shoes. Today’s home prices at today's rates is punitive. Rates were way too low but for way too long. Remember all the talk about the new normal?
Agreed. I remember the double digit mortgage rates my parents paid. People got spoiled by near zero rates. But the higher rates coupled with the astronomical price increases makes it tough on first time buyers.

I have a 33-year-old daughter who is house hunting. I find the prices high, but I will have to do the math to see if the monthly cost is a greater percentage than we had to pay.

Her salary is at least 3 times what mine was I think closer to 3.5 times. She has a great down payment already but so did I at the time.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I have a 33-year-old daughter who is house hunting. I find the prices high, but I will have to do the math to see if the monthly cost is a greater percentage than we had to pay.

Her salary is at least 3 times what mine was I think closer to 3.5 times. She has a great down payment already but so did I at the time.
I bought my first place in 1999 and rule was 3x your annual income. Now they are saying 3.5 to 5. Most of that was due to low rates.

I don‘t see rates going down to 3% again or even 4%. 4.5-5% should be the norm. If people can’t afford homes at 4.5-5% then home prices need to come down. My nephews all brought a couple of years before interest rates went up but home prices were really high $800k. They all make above average wages and I offered the last one a couple hundred thousands for the down payment because his wife hardly worked but he didn’t accept. I guess he made about $200k by himself. Households making $200-400k are fine but the under $200k income are going to struggle buying a home, not that many over $200k households out there.

There are sales today but it‘s people that have extreme high income and other that they are being being forced to sale. It‘s not going back to the good old days of the 1990-2020. Homes down south aren’t the bargain they were 4 years ago before they doubled and insurance is tripling the last three years. My parent home, every house in the neighborhood has been sold within the 10 years and all the old people already moved out. My parent home( lived there almost 60 yrs) is the last to be available for sale. Times are changing and people have to accept the changes.

Last edited:
Yes, it's called a dose of reality. As the mutual fund prospectus says, past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. Some people never learn that lesson.
Not really. Median total volume of homes sold over the past decade was just about 6 million. Its been below 4,000,000 annualized the past 18 months. It’s not called a dose of reality, it’s called an industry in recession. The overall economy doesnt have to be in recession while certain sectors are.

The 10 years from 2012-2021 median exisiting home sales per year was 6.02 million. We are currently at this moment trending at sub 4,000,000 annualized for 2023 based on october data.

Sales going down because fewer and fewer people can afford the high prices. It will go down slowly over 10-20 years but be a sluggish market during that period.

It is higher. Housing affordability hasnt been this bad in 40+ years.

I don‘t see rates going down to 3% again or even 4%. 4.5-5% should be the norm. If people can’t afford homes at 4.5-5% then home prices need to come down. My nephews all brought a couple of years before interest rates went up but home prices were really high $800k. They all make above average wages and I offered the last one a couple hundred thousands for the down payment because his wife hardly worked but he didn’t accept. I guess he made about $200k by himself. Households making $200-400k are fine but the under $200k income are going to struggle buying a home, not that many over $200k households out there.

There are sales today but it‘s people that have extreme high income and other that they are being being forced to sale. It‘s not going back to the good old days of the 1990-2020. Homes down south aren’t the bargain they were 4 years ago before they doubled and insurance is tripling the last three years. My parent home, every house in the neighborhood has been sold within the 10 years and all the old people already moved out. My parent home( lived there almost 60 yrs) is the last to be available for sale. Times are changing and people have to accept the changes.
Theres going to be a demo referred to as the post covid home buying millenials vs pre-covid home buying millenials. Its such a stark contrast. Has I bought my home 4 years ago, i wouldve gotten it for $200K less and my monthly payment would be about $2,000 less per month. Same exact house.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT