ADVERTISEMENT

Pac12 dissolution discussion

What is more important is that the WSU president says he expects the contract to yield about as much per school as the current contract. That would result in a payout comparable to the Big 12's, and thus lessen the incentive to jump conferences. Unfortunately, the story is behind a paywall,https://theathletic.com/4597841/2023/06/09/pac-12-media-rights-washington-state/
Yea I saw those comments and I have the Athletic but I don’t care what he says. The proof is in the pudding. He can say anything but you can only believe it when you see it. The amount of exposure matters too.

Regardless, after the B1G released the 2024 and 2025 opponents for football, the earliest the B1G will target more West Coast teams will be for 2026 and beyond at this point. If B1G wants to expand west, they'll make their move about a year from now.

One thing they did not address is the $70 Million owed to Comcast. That is $5.8 million per school for the 12 schools (including USC & UCLA). That is going to hurt.
Why would they owe anything to Comcast? Shouldn't comcast be paying them?

Why would they owe anything to Comcast? Shouldn't comcast be paying them?
PAC12 did an audit thinking they were underpaid but in reality were overpaid so have to give back the money. One of their now fired executives hid the findings as well.

• Wow
Reactions: FastMJ
This similar to what I've mentioned in the past about the ACC and how it was copied from the B12. If a school even hints at leaving, it's taken as you're leaving and all the stipulations regarding that get enacted. Schools tread lightly because of that.

Wake me when the PAC gets a media rights deal and tell me if it's good enough to keep the the members that have a chance to become Vitamin members and B1G ones from running to those conferences begging to be let in.

SEC looking for more money to go to a 9th game and ESPN not too eager. 9th game has been up in the air for a bit. Agree with the tweets of Frank the Tank.

So i have not heard anyone talk about how adding Texas and Oklahoma added more AVG money to the SEC Media deal...

Based on ESPN not wanting to pay more money for a 9th game. I assume no point unless they create a new window. Even though the SEC added Texas and Oklahoma, ESPN likely does not believe a 9th game adds much value to the weekly pool of games they have to pick from.

With that said, is it possible that the SEC team payouts for the next 10 years will not change(aside from the expected year on year increase) even though they added Texas and Oklahoma? Maybe the SEC media deal assumed that if they added teams, that it would only result in the same payout given to the new teams. So whether they added TX/OK or KS/Baylor it wouldn't change the payouts. Unlike for the BIG10 where a new media deal was negotiated with USC and UCLA in mind.

So ESPN was able to get rid of the Longhorn network, pay less for the Big 12 (than they would have with TX and OK), and pay only existing negotiated SEC rates for Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC. Seems like ESPN saved some money with this transaction if my assumptions are correct.

Reactions: megadrone
So i have not heard anyone talk about how adding Texas and Oklahoma added more AVG money to the SEC Media deal...

Based on ESPN not wanting to pay more money for a 9th game. I assume no point unless they create a new window. Even though the SEC added Texas and Oklahoma, ESPN likely does not believe a 9th game adds much value to the weekly pool of games they have to pick from.

With that said, is it possible that the SEC team payouts for the next 10 years will not change(aside from the expected year on year increase) even though they added Texas and Oklahoma? Maybe the SEC media deal assumed that if they added teams, that it would only result in the same payout given to the new teams. So whether they added TX/OK or KS/Baylor it wouldn't change the payouts. Unlike for the BIG10 where a new media deal was negotiated with USC and UCLA in mind.

So ESPN was able to get rid of the Longhorn network, pay less for the Big 12 (than they would have with TX and OK), and pay only existing negotiated SEC rates for Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC. Seems like ESPN saved some money with this transaction if my assumptions are correct.
I’ve mentioned this before but Texas and OU didn’t add anything to SEC revenues FOR NOW. But ESPN agreed to pay them both the same per school revenue right off the bat as the rest of the conference.

However, in the future when its tv deal come up for bid, having two name brand schools will help positively in what kind of money the SEC can get. These are long term moves so while it may not add to the bottom line now, it probably will on the future.

Reactions: mosito
Yeah, that is what i meant.... until 2034 if i am not mistaken as ESPN is not in the business of giving money away that they don't have to. So unless the SEC creates a new window(weekday night game), money won't increase for them. So they might be 20-30% behind the BIG10 until then (unless they win the CFP every year to fill that gap)

Yeah, that is what i meant.... until 2034 if i am not mistaken as ESPN is not in the business of giving money away that they don't have to. So unless the SEC creates a new window(weekday night game), money won't increase for them. So they might be 20-30% behind the BIG10 until then (unless they win the CFP every year to fill that gap)
Both conferences will get a jump next year. B10 will get one this year as well but not a big one. USC and UCLA are next year and then the B10 will get money from CBS for the full year not just partial like this year. Also the SEC will get a jump next year because the SEC GOTW goes to Disney and it’s going from 55M/yr average to 300M/yr average.

Even without an increase in revenue, getting Oklahoma and Texas added at the same revenue mid contract is a win for the SEC. When the SEC and ACC added teams in the past, ESPN always insisted on, and got, a contract extension in return for adding the new schools mid contract.

Oh definitely.... Who wouldn't want TX and OK. And even if not immediately, it will be printing money.

Just that many analysts had the SEC making 20-30M more per school (over the BIG10) which didn't make sense to me. As if assuming that TX and OK were going to increase the AVG, which it appears will not happen until a deal gets renewed in early 2030s.

Seems PAC is on its last legs.... I assume a smaller PAC without 2-4 schools while adding a couple of MW schools.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Only 2 conferences, SEC and Big 10. Everyone else is a dead man walking, including the ACC.

corporate consolidation 101.

"expansion" always was and is about "consolidation". never about "expansion".

with the goal to kill off other major conferences as competitors for media rights money, and doing so while handing out the fewest "shares" possible.

and by "conferences", i mean negotiating cartels.

the NFL, as a pure monopoly negotiator, is the ultimate comparative goal.

the PAC, B10, and SEC, originally tried to kill off the B12 when they took Mizzou, Neb, Col, TAM, and tried to take OU and UT as well at that time.

the B10 took UMd in hopes UNC, UVa, and a couple others would be the next dominoes to fall, in which case the SEC probably takes FSU and Clemson, maybe Miami, which is why Delany gave UMd financial incentives others didn't get, as hopefully the first domino.

the real money was never in giving out extra cuts of the pie in an already national revenue model, (as the B10 already had a national revenue model), it was always in taking out other major conferences as competition in media rights bidding.

and again, doing so while giving out the fewest additional shares possible.

as for the remainder of the PAC now, and who else will get taken, think how many other PAC schools, and precisely who, it will take to kill off the PAC as a major competitor, and force the remaining schools to merge with the B12, because that's how the B10 corporation is thinking..

as for RU, RU was taken not for the NYC market as was the spin, and which RU never owned in the first place, but to keep RU from shoring up the ACC when Delany and the SEC wanted to take out the ACC.

think housing market,

3 houses for sale with 4 buyers looking to buy, is a much different market than 5 houses for sale, with 4 looking to buy.

and once competitors get down to 2 or 3, they tend to collude and behave as a pure monopoly.

so think 3 houses for sale with 4 or 5 or 6 buyers now looking to buy, where the 3 owners are now colluding on price rather than competing.

in case no one has noticed, conference commissioners are no longer those with knowledge of administrating college athletics, they are media execs with activist hedge fund manager mindsets.

Last edited:
From the article:

Notre Dame will be seeking to triple its football rights fees to $65 million to $75 million annually during its next cycle of media negotiations, sources told Front Office Sports. But if the Fighting Irish want that kind of money, they might have to give up their cherished independence — and finally join a power conference.

“My big-picture thought is that Notre Dame will need a conference to support a three-time bump long term,” said Patrick Crakes, the former Fox Sports executive turned media consultant. “I think either the Big Ten or SEC would do. Also, don’t rule out a third new conference in several years. A lot of assumptions are falling apart as pay-TV-bundle economics go flat.”

From the article:

Notre Dame will be seeking to triple its football rights fees to $65 million to $75 million annually during its next cycle of media negotiations, sources told Front Office Sports. But if the Fighting Irish want that kind of money, they might have to give up their cherished independence — and finally join a power conference.

“My big-picture thought is that Notre Dame will need a conference to support a three-time bump long term,” said Patrick Crakes, the former Fox Sports executive turned media consultant. “I think either the Big Ten or SEC would do. Also, don’t rule out a third new conference in several years. A lot of assumptions are falling apart as pay-TV-bundle economics go flat.”

I thought that part of their hybrid deal with the ACC was that ND signed a commitment that if they join a conference during the term of the current ACC contract (which ends in 2036) it has to be the ACC?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I thought that part of their hybrid deal with the ACC was that ND signed a commitment that if they join a conference during the term of the current ACC contract (which ends in 2036) it has to be the ACC?
They did sign a deal saying that.

San Diego State:

full

PAC 12:

16jM.gif

• Haha
Reactions: rutgersguy1
All this talk about the Pac-12 on its death bed, the Big 12 hasn't really hit a homerun. The Big 12 new media deal requires them to play more weekday games. Are they the new MAC? The NFL owns Thursday nights, and Friday nights are big HS nights in Big 12 country. The Big 12 may compete directly with the MAC for Wednesday night games. 🤣 To me, that seems a step back than moving up the power conference chain.

Reactions: Knight Shift
All this talk about the Pac-12 on its death bed, the Big 12 hasn't really hit a homerun. The Big 12 new media deal requires them to play more weekday games. Are they the new MAC? The NFL owns Thursday nights, and Friday nights are big HS nights in Big 12 country. The Big 12 may compete directly with the MAC for Wednesday night games. 🤣 To me, that seems a step back than moving up the power conference chain.
They’ll get exposure and they have an autobid for the CFP and that’s really all that matters. I’ve said before it’s actually an opportunity for a B12 team to raise itself on the landscape. They will be largely be competing with similarly resourced schools. I’ve said the same for the ACC.

Frankly, even if they PAC12 got pillaged badly, it would be better for all the MWC schools to move because past history has shown that they could get all the grandfathered benefits of the PAC. So for them to it would be an opportunity to raise themselves up.

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
Here's a podcast talking about the Pac-12:

The Latest on the Pac 12 TV Deal and Brett Yormark's Confidence

31:00 mark:
There is a moment during the podcast a viewer/supporter called the SEC, ACC, and the Pac-12 regional conferences. I would agree they are, but the kicker is the host added while the commissioner of the Big 12 has them looking like a national conference because they add UCF (Florida), Cincy (Ohio), and BYU (Utah). They are in the process of dominating all four time zones. The true nugget is that the host said the B1G should be considered regional, like the SEC, ACC, and Pac-12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT