ADVERTISEMENT

Pan Am Games in Peru, Dreadful Competition

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

team USA is all big east players and they look pretty bad. Powells been pretty good but the competition is piss poor. I watched the game against venezuela last night and that was one of the worst games ive watched in my entire life. Powell but up 30 but was pretty cold from 3 and got some easy layups and 8 footers due to venezuela being kind of sloppy and out of shape.

Are these games always this bad? Whats the level of competiton? Was disappointed watching

team USA is all big east players and they look pretty bad. Powells been pretty good but the competition is piss poor. I watched the game against venezuela last night and that was one of the worst games ive watched in my entire life. Powell but up 30 but was pretty cold from 3 and got some easy layups and 8 footers due to venezuela being kind of sloppy and out of shape.

Are these games always this bad? Whats the level of competiton? Was disappointed watching

The US beat Venezuela by 23 and Puerto Rico by 32 when they played four years ago.

The competition should get a bit better but the gold and silver medal teams from 2015 (Brazil and Canada) didn't enter teams this year, so the US is gonna stomp.

Powell is pretty special, though. Dude put on a clinic.

I think I've watched the TBT tournament games before I even remembered to put on the Pan Am games. I guess if there is definite rain in the forecast on Saturday and not much else to watch on TV while inside, I can try and find a game or two.

The fact that pre-season football was on last night for a couple of hours, was enough of a breakaway from hoops for the last few months.

The TBT tournament was so horrible, It started out pretty good but then went down the drain. I had to turn it off. Except in the beginning, They very rarely gave the score. The announcers were horrible. And, for about ten minutes they gave you a view from nose bleed corner, where you couldn’t tell which player had the ball. Bad job ESPN!

Reactions: 240sx7426
I watched some TBT last night. William Buford and Aaron Craft looked good on the Oh St team that advanced.

The US beat Venezuela by 23 and Puerto Rico by 32 when they played four years ago.

The competition should get a bit better but the gold and silver medal teams from 2015 (Brazil and Canada) didn't enter teams this year, so the US is gonna stomp.

Powell is pretty special, though. Dude put on a clinic.
Eh, despite putting up 30 last night he wasn't all that impressive. He got some easy buckets on uncontested layups. He shot poor from 3 point land. He did have one nice up and under at the rim. But that Venezuela team was soooo out of shape and slow. It was really tough to watch, which sucked because I was excited to watch what I thought was gonna be college level type of game but instead it looked like a bad pick up game

Eh, despite putting up 30 last night he wasn't all that impressive. He got some easy buckets on uncontested layups. He shot poor from 3 point land. He did have one nice up and under at the rim. But that Venezuela team was soooo out of shape and slow. It was really tough to watch, which sucked because I was excited to watch what I thought was gonna be college level type of game but instead it looked like a bad pick up game
As usual you're right. Powell was 3/9 from the 3. Oh, he also was 9/9 from the 2, 3/3 from the FT, 3 Rebs and 2 steals. Not too impressive unless he was a RU player. Then he'd be a conference and national payer of the year candidate.

As usual you're right. Powell was 3/9 from the 3. Oh, he also was 9/9 from the 2, 3/3 from the FT, 3 Rebs and 2 steals. Not too impressive unless he was a RU player. Then he'd be a conference and national payer of the year candidate.
Fell asleep at end of 3rd, very boring game, awful talent on venezuela. Powell was like 1-6 of 1-7 from three when I was watching. He made his layups and bunnies, only one tough make while I was watching on the up and under. Hes not as good as hes hyped to be. He’ll probabl get tossed from the RU game as we’ll frustrate the hell out of him

Fell asleep at end of 3rd, very boring game, awful talent on venezuela. Powell was like 1-6 of 1-7 from three when I was watching. He made his layups and bunnies, only one tough make while I was watching on the up and under. Hes not as good as hes hyped to be. He’ll probabl get tossed from the RU game as we’ll frustrate the hell out of him

“The problem with denying things that everybody knows are true is that the value of anything you say begins to steadily depreciate.”

But you are pretty humorous even if you don’t mean to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
“The problem with denying things that everybody knows are true is that the value of anything you say begins to steadily depreciate.”

But you are pretty humorous even if you don’t mean to be.
Saw highlights of 4th quarter. 4 point play impressive. But what else did powell do all game that impressed you? Honest question

[roll]

Saw highlights of 4th quarter. 4 point play impressive. But what else did powell do all game that impressed you? Honest question

Honestly not focused on this series. 12 American college players practice for two weeks and go play National teams that play together likely for much longer. It’s your view that Powell is overrated. It’s so patently colored by your bias. Is he the National POY? No but he is a very good college player. You intimate that he isn’t. And if ru had him they could very well dance.

Honestly not focused on this series. 12 American college players practice for two weeks and go play National teams that play together likely for much longer. It’s your view that Powell is overrated. It’s so patently colored by your bias. Is he the National POY? No but he is a very good college player. You intimate that he isn’t. And if ru had him they could very well dance.
Hed definitely help because wed have more talent to surround him with and allow him to be a spot up shooter which is what he is. Hes not quick enough off the dribble to have the ball as much as he does and his handle is alright, not bad but also not great. If im an opposition i just sit on his left hip which prevents him from shooting and hes a left handed pull guy and isnt all that quick off he dribble. SHU is gonna be disappointed this year. Team is a bubble team imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hed definitely help because wed have more talent to surround him with and allow him to be a spot up shooter which is what he is. Hes not quick enough off the dribble to have the ball as much as he does and his handle is alright, not bad but also not great. If im an opposition i just sit on his left him which prevents him from shooting and has a left handed pull guy and isnt all that quick off he dribble. SHU is gonna be disappointed this year. Team is a bubble team imo

Tell you what, $500 wager. Loser contributes that amount to the athletic fund of the other school. I wager that SHU will not be a bubble team on selection Sunday. Outcome determined by seeding in the tourney. Bubble team if our seed is higher than 10. Not bubble if it’s lower. Deal?

Tell you what, $500 wager. Loser contributes that amount to the athletic fund of the other school. I wager that SHU will not be a bubble team on selection Sunday. Outcome determined by seeding in the tourney. Bubble team if our seed is higher than 10. Not bubble if it’s lower. Deal?
Deal

Good. I know and like Pat Hobbs. Pat Lyons will appreciate your contribution.
Whats a successful season for SHU tourney wise in your eyes? Would you be okay with getting bounced in the first round again for the 4th time in 5 years? Heres the thing and I think the committee is finally realizing this. The big east outside of Nova has gotten whacked in the tourney year in and year out because reality is the conference isnt all that good. It receives a lot of unwarranted hype as the conference hasnt performed well against p5 schools. I think that plays in my favor here, also the fact that SHU just doesnt have that much talent.

Think about it this way. Put RU up against SHU side by side. Whos better and why? Imo RU is better. Our projected starters are Geo-Young-Harper-Yeboah-Myles Johnson while yours are McKnight-Powell-Cale-Mamu-FSU transfer. The big difference is our bench is so much deeper with guys like caleb Mcconnell and montez mathis who are reallllly solid options off the bench, Caleb should honestly be starting imo but Jake will to start the year. And youve said RU isnt a tourney team unless im mistaking you for someone else. Whos the secondary scoring option? Wheres the depth? Wheres the 3 point shooters? Wheres the 5? Wheres the closers from the FT line?

Whats a successful season for SHU tourney wise in your eyes? Would you be okay with getting bounced in the first round again for the 4th time in 5 years? Heres the thing and I think the committee is finally realizing this. The big east outside of Nova has gotten whacked in the tourney year in and year out because reality is the conference isnt all that good. It receives a lot of unwarranted hype as the conference hasnt performed well against p5 schools. I think that plays in my favor here, also the fact that SHU just doesnt have that much talent.

Think about it this way. Put RU up against SHU side by side. Whos better and why? Imo RU is better. Our projected starters are Geo-Young-Harper-Yeboah-Myles Johnson while yours are McKnight-Powell-Cale-Mamu-FSU transfer. The big difference is our bench is so much deeper with guys like caleb Mcconnell and montez mathis who are reallllly solid options off the bench, Caleb should honestly be starting imo but Jake will to start the year. And youve said RU isnt a tourney team unless im mistaking you for someone else. Whos the secondary scoring option? Wheres the depth? Wheres the 3 point shooters? Wheres the 5? Wheres the closers from the FT line?

Stop the weeding bro. Let’s see how it plays out.

Success? Make it to the 2nd weekend.

You guys? In the hunt for a 500 season.

Stop the weeding bro. Let’s see how it plays out.

Success? Make it to the 2nd weekend.

You guys? In the hunt for a 500 season.
In your honest opinion. What would SHU’s record look like in the big ten and would they get in the tourney if they played in the big ten?

Hed definitely help because wed have more talent to surround him with and allow him to be a spot up shooter which is what he is. Hes not quick enough off the dribble to have the ball as much as he does and his handle is alright, not bad but also not great. If im an opposition i just sit on his left hip which prevents him from shooting and hes a left handed pull guy and isnt all that quick off he dribble. SHU is gonna be disappointed this year. Team is a bubble team imo

Your analysis is hilarious. Apparently you know more about scouting Powell than any other coach they faced last year which includes Jay Wright and John Calipari.

The Pan Am play was embarrassing. The USA has dominated this for years and this time with only Big East players we got destroyed by like about 39 points. We should have kept with our past practice of having players from the entire nation. How did Powell only get 2 and 8 points in his last two games?

The Pan Am play was embarrassing. The USA has dominated this for years and this time with only Big East players we got destroyed by like about 39 points. We should have kept with our past practice of having players from the entire nation. How did Powell only get 2 and 8 points in his last two games?

USA has not “dominated this event for years”. Haven’t won gold since 1983 or silver since 1999. It’s just not a priority for USA basketball, why we don’t send our best competition. The Big East played as expected earning a bronze.

But please continue to talk out your ass with your anti-SHU basis

The competition was horrible and have we ever lost by 39 points before? It looked like the USA didn't even belong on the same court that day. Two of the better teams didn't even enter the Pan Am games this year. Nice language by 19001. I was a SHU fan many years ago so he knows not what he says. Maybe he should stay on his own board.

This thread is silly. To sum up, Powell is a great player and 19001 needs to take a hike until he learns how to play well with others on another team's message board.

Honestly, Kyk, you're just being argumentative to be argumentative with this one. You can hate SHU all you want but you have to respect what Powell has done. He completely changed his nutrition and fitness habits through hard work and discipline and look where he is. That's why you root for college sports- to see stories like his and guys like Shaq Doorson who everyone wanted to run out of here during last offseason.

I will always root for Powell. Not when he plays Rutgers of course.

Resilient kid who seems to be a good role model. Hard not to support Jersey, PA, NY kids. I am also a teacher in the school district of Philadelphia. I'll get to some HS games this year.

When Powell makes, Madison Square Garden Shakes!

Good. I know and like Pat Hobbs. Pat Lyons will appreciate your contribution.
Was with a pretty prominent AAU coach last night and we were talking metro area BBall. He said Kevin Willard is under more pressure than any coach this year. In AAU circles the thought is he went 6 years with no tourney, basically toeing a very thin line and cheated and in some cases (whitehead) paid for talent that launched him to the tourney for 3 years. Last year was the first year he made the tourney without his bought/hired guns and showed they didn't belong in the tourney. There's a very close eye being paid on SHU this year. This is SHU's most important season ever. If they bomb again and can't get past the first round of the tourney willard is going to prove everyone right that hes a fraud

I will always root for Powell. Not when he plays Rutgers of course.

Resilient kid who seems to be a good role model. Hard not to support Jersey, PA, NY kids. I am also a teacher in the school district of Philadelphia. I'll get to some HS games this year.

When Powell makes, Madison Square Garden Shakes!
Then you root for SHU to be good? Sorry but I just can't share that sentiment. Not many, if any SHU fans root for Rutgers and rather we perpetually suck so they continually have a can to kick.

Then you root for SHU to be good? Sorry but I just can't share that sentiment. Not many, if any SHU fans root for Rutgers and rather we perpetually suck so they continually have a can to kick.
Some of their players are easy to root for. They are 18 year old kids. I want them to do well for themselves.

I root for every D-1 school in the state to make the NCAA tournament every year.

Been here just over 30 years and that has always been the case.

I root for every D-1 school in the state to make the NCAA tournament every year.

Been here just over 30 years and that has always been the case.
Well I root for Notre Dame to lose every game in the future and history of sports. Gee, look at that we're complete opposites. Who knew we had so little in common.

Was with a pretty prominent AAU coach last night and we were talking metro area BBall. He said Kevin Willard is under more pressure than any coach this year. In AAU circles the thought is he went 6 years with no tourney, basically toeing a very thin line and cheated and in some cases (whitehead) paid for talent that launched him to the tourney for 3 years. Last year was the first year he made the tourney without his bought/hired guns and showed they didn't belong in the tourney. There's a very close eye being paid on SHU this year. This is SHU's most important season ever. If they bomb again and can't get past the first round of the tourney willard is going to prove everyone right that hes a fraud

I should be paying you for the creative writing you provide with literally every post. You know nothing of Willard nor the stability of his position at the school. But bless your heart, lack of knowledge doesn’t slow you down.

I know your reply will be that Pike is a far better coach than Kevin. Who knows, maybe he is. And I think he gets a lot from his players. But on paper, his 8 years to make the tourney at Stonybrook doesn’t really make him better than too many others.

I should be paying you for the creative writing you provide with literally every post. You know nothing of Willard nor the stability of his position at the school. But bless your heart, lack of knowledge doesn’t slow you down.

I know your reply will be that Pike is a far better coach than Kevin. Who knows, maybe he is. And I think he gets a lot from his players. But on paper, his 8 years to make the tourney at Stonybrook doesn’t really make him better than too many others.
Oh, im quite familiar with willard and the thought of him locally amongst those who matter. Willard’s job is safe as can be, he basically has a life time contract at SHU. However, if he doesnt put up this year hes going to be viewed by the local hs and aau coaches as a guy whos a very mediocre coach, just telling you what those guys are saying.

To be fair, they like pikiell but they think its time for him to show something this year. They love him as a man, they think pikiell is more relatable and blue collar whereas they say willard comes off like a snobby rich guy who cant wait to get to his tee time (they said he plays a ton of golf apparently). They think pikiell’s out of conference schedule is an absolute joke, which i dont blame them and they said kids pay attention to that. I was also told they werent fond of the steve hayn hire as apparently hes the type of guy who thinks his shit doesnt stink. They also arent all that high on karl hobbs. They love B Knight but they know for a fact pike couldve landed some serious top tier assistants instead of hayn. We’ll have to see how that plays out

End of the day though, overwhelming he said in their eyes willard has the biggest spotlight on him this year and theyre skeptical if he’ll even get out of the first round

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT