ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell Sucks

You can't discount Rutgers wins when they upset #1 ranked teams, beating 4 ranked teams in a row, earned the ranked reapers nickname bc you say upsets happen in bball so it's not as big of a deal.... then point to when Rutgers gets upset and say that is a big deal. You gotta pick one stance and be consistent
I don’t think I discounted those wins at all, I’m simply saying they were a requirement for us to make the tournament that year.

Our OOC losses were so bad, we looked at that stretch of games and said we needed to win at least 3 to have a shot. Team was backed up in a corner, turns out that’s when we’re most dangerous.

Upsets do happen more frequently in basketball than football, that’s why Wisconsin is ranked #6 with 6 losses (I’m sure they’ll drop a little after today’s game).

All I’m saying is a lot of people look at that season and say wow look at what we did beating these teams, but they’re ignoring that we achieved that and were still considered a bubble team. People here were worried we wouldn’t get in! Our OOC efforts were THAT bad.

To me, that’s not a players thing, that’s coaching.

That’s been my one actual major complaint about Pike (aside from offense stuff). He takes sooo long to figure out the right lineups, and I believe we drop easy games because of it.

I don’t know if that’s because it’s just not clicking for him or if he wants a larger sample size to see what he’s got.

I mean think about how obvious the whole Noah thing was. Pike didn’t really start limiting his minutes until like a week ago. Feel free to fact check that timing, I could be wrong.

I don’t think I discounted those wins at all, I’m simply saying they were a requirement for us to make the tournament that year.

Our OOC losses were so bad, we looked at that stretch of games and said we needed to win at least 3 to have a shot. Team was backed up in a corner, turns out that’s when we’re most dangerous.

Upsets do happen more frequently in basketball than football, that’s why Wisconsin is ranked #6 with 6 losses (I’m sure they’ll drop a little after today’s game).

All I’m saying is a lot of people look at that season and say wow look at what we did beating these teams, but they’re ignoring that we achieved that and were still considered a bubble team. People here were worried we wouldn’t get in! Our OOC efforts were THAT bad.

To me, that’s not a players thing, that’s coaching.

That’s been my one actual major complaint about Pike (aside from offense stuff). He takes sooo long to figure out the right lineups, and I believe we drop easy games because of it.

I don’t know if that’s because it’s just not clicking for him or if he wants a larger sample size to see what he’s got.

I mean think about how obvious the whole Noah thing was. Pike didn’t really start limiting his minutes until like a week ago. Feel free to fact check that timing, I could be wrong.
I actually agree with a lot of that. Pike seems willing to give players the benefit of the doubt and waits too long waiting for them to figure it out

*EXACT RANKINGS DEBATABLE* (I am using Massey Ratings for both - should give the right general idea).

Greg Schiano took over the #94 (out of 115 FBS programs) team:
Y1 #104
Y2 #105
Y3 #70
Y4 #80
Y5 #61
Y6 #19
Y7 #38
Y8 #35
Y9 #47
Y10 #76
Y11 #44
(left, then took over the #115 of 130 program)
Y1 #73
Y2 #79
Y3 #81
Y4 #46

Steve Pikiell took over the #263 (of 351) team
Y1 #107
Y2 #107
Y3 #72
Y4 #31
Y5 #37
Y6 #60
Y7 #53
Y8 (currently) #74

All this arguing aside, I honestly feel these are very similar levels of success. Both Greg 1.0 and Pikiell have undoubtedly done a great job of taking a horrible program and making it a solid, respectable program. Greg 1.0, one very good season aside, struggled to take the next step. Pikiell, similiarly, has yet to take that next step from solid team to great team. Greg 2.0 looks to be on track again for the horrible => solid stage of the rebuild. Time will tell if he can make the next step this time in a different environment of the Big Ten. With Pikiell I think seeing what he does with this improved recruiting going forward will tell us a lot. Similarly, it would have been nice to see what Greg would've done with the recruiting classes he got just before he left for the NFL, but we'll never know.

*EXACT RANKINGS DEBATABLE* (I am using Massey Ratings for both - should give the right general idea).

Greg Schiano took over the #94 (out of 115 FBS programs) team:
Y1 #104
Y2 #105
Y3 #70
Y4 #80
Y5 #61
Y6 #19
Y7 #38
Y8 #35
Y9 #47
Y10 #76
Y11 #44
(left, then took over the #115 of 130 program)
Y1 #73
Y2 #79
Y3 #81
Y4 #46

Steve Pikiell took over the #263 (of 351) team
Y1 #107
Y2 #107
Y3 #72
Y4 #31
Y5 #37
Y6 #60
Y7 #53
Y8 (currently) #74

All this arguing aside, I honestly feel these are very similar levels of success. Both Greg 1.0 and Pikiell have undoubtedly done a great job of taking a horrible program and making it a solid, respectable program. Greg 1.0, one very good season aside, struggled to take the next step. Pikiell, similiarly, has yet to take that next step from solid team to great team. Greg 2.0 looks to be on track again for the horrible => solid stage of the rebuild. Time will tell if he can make the next step this time in a different environment of the Big Ten. With Pikiell I think seeing what he does with this improved recruiting going forward will tell us a lot. Similarly, it would have been nice to see what Greg would've done with the recruiting classes he got just before he left for the NFL, but we'll never know.
It’s amazing we could have just done this 5 pages ago 😂

• Haha
Reactions: fluoxetine
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT