ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell Sucks

Honestly, he needs to be put on at least a warm seat next year and if he can't make the tourney and get through one round with that talent he needs to go on the hot seat the following year. You can't have 9 years of this type of garbage play. Nebraska and Minnesota have turned it around. Common denominator -- better coaches.
This team is bad and Pike deserves criticism. But how exactly are you saying Nebraska and Minnesota turned it around and calling the last 8 years garbage play? We’ve been to the tournament twice since the last time either of those two teams have. At least be consistent.

I have not been able to watch much of most games but I did watch a little today and it seems that we still can't make foul shots and we still can't get the ball in bounds.
Is this reflective of the whole year?

In my mind Pike made 2 bad mistakes

1. Let Gavin fail on D. You cant change your rotations so Gavin defends a huy he can hang with.
2. Every possession was a scripted play. PSU was hounding our guards and took us conpletely out of any offensive rhythm. He must have called 15 different set plays. I like concepts most of the time over plays. Especially with what PSU guards were doing.

Reactions: RW90
Of course he should catch some heat. But there’s no question his tenure has been more successful thus far than Greg’s.

I don’t really know how this is debatable
Sorry. Can’t compare a basketball turn around to football. I don’t know how that is debatable.

Reactions: RUDeac
Not anytime soon.

It’s one season where he had basically zero time to fill the void left by 2 starters in the portal, and people are surprised that the team is worse this year? When 3 starters left?
True but we all knew this team needed an impact guard out of the portal whether paul and cam left or not and he picked up Noah early on when there were plenty of other options. Austin has been the much better pick up and he was after Cam and Paul left.

Sorry. Can’t compare a basketball turn around to football. I don’t know how that is debatable.

Not comparing the turnarounds…comparing the success each has had

Schiano…19-28 (9-27 in conf) 1 bowl bid…
Pikiell…127-114 (58-85 in conf) 3 ncaa bids, 1 nit bid.

I guess conference records is the only thing debatable. And yes, as I said in a prior post, I do understand it’s easier to be successful as a hoops coach

This team is bad and Pike deserves criticism. But how exactly are you saying Nebraska and Minnesota turned it around and calling the last 8 years garbage play? We’ve been to the tournament twice since the last time either of those two teams have. At least be consistent.
I am saying we have taken the product to now garbage. Look, Pikiell took them from the basement to back to back NCAA tourneys if you count the COVID year. After that the program has gradually got downhill and now gone to the bottom. Good coaches may have a 1 or a two year dip at most so giving Pikiell a benefit of the doubt, next year is the year he has to show significant improvement.

Agreed.....THE Question.....when is Pike on the coaching hot seat?
Probably a while. Mediocrity is OK for most Rutgers fans. Pike's B1G finishes - 14, 14, 10, 5, 6, 4, 9, and probably 13 or 14 this year, and with one post season win. Over eight years that would probably get you fired at every other school in the conference.

Last edited:
Probably a while. Mediocrity is OK for most Rutgers fans. Pike's B1G finishes - 14, 14, 10, 5, 6, 4, 9, and probably 13 or 14 this year. That's good enough to get most D-1 coaches fired.
But you think Waters was successful here.

Reactions: cm_13
Not comparing the turnarounds…comparing the success each has had

Schiano…19-28 (9-27 in conf) 1 bowl bid…
Pikiell…127-114 (58-85 in conf) 3 ncaa bids, 1 nit bid.

I guess conference records is the only thing debatable. And yes, as I said in a prior post, I do understand it’s easier to be successful as a hoops coach
It’s still not apples to apples, but Pike has beaten many ranked teams, including #1 ranked Purdue twice. Schiano hasn’t had a single notable win since he came back.

We will most likely be much much better than we are this season
You would almost think we have to be. We need at least two players from the portal, however, and our track record is not good in that regard.

I wouldn’t say not good — it’s mixed. Yeboah and Spencer were very good gets. This past offseason was a flop, especially Noah, but we haven’t seen JWill yet.

Reactions: Scangg and malaka27
Who didnt miss a layup? I bet everyone can state what Pike will say in his press conference...all Bullshit
Pike didn’t even come on the radio post game because he knew how bad his coaching job was and he couldn’t say his usual post game we have to do better as coaches!!
How about you actually run 1!! Just 1 effin offensive set other than 1 guard dribbling and 4 guys watching him!!

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
I have not been able to watch much of most games but I did watch a little today and it seems that we still can't make foul shots and we still can't get the ball in bounds.
Is this reflective of the whole year?
Yes we have been a bad foul shooting team for years now as well as a bad shooting team our defense has been our calling card
And yes most definitely we have the absolute worst inbounds plays both of these things have been a constant and have cost us games not only this season but in past seasons

A message was being sent. Whatever it was - hopefully it reasonates with him.
Ok but how can you play a 3 guard offense the whole second half and get crushed 25-9 on the boards and Play Oskar so much are you trying to lose
How do you sub out the entire starting lineup when they started the game not great but decently
I always appreciate your posts and wonder what you think about this

It’s still not apples to apples, but Pike has beaten many ranked teams, including #1 ranked Purdue twice. Schiano hasn’t had a single notable win since he came back.
Also and haven’t looked but I am sure if you look at “quality wins” - beating tournament teams in basketball vs beating bowl eligible teams in football- the numbers favor Pike as well.

Rutgers is having a bad year. They have been good for the previous 4 years. Every team has an off year. Pike is a good coach let’s see what he does next year with talent
Bad year and completely dysfunctional to the point of embarrassment are two different things.

Last edited:
Different time, different team, different competition. None of Waters' teams played like Rutgers played tonight. Waters was a better coach than Pikiel, and by a lot.
lol you’re so dumb

“Hurr durr you pathetic people ACCEPT MEDIOCRITY… and also I think the coach who never made the NCAA tournament was good”

Reactions: Kbee3
Of course he should catch some heat. But there’s no question his tenure has been more successful thus far than Greg’s.

I don’t really know how this is debatable
I don’t think that’s the debate. Not from me at least. Pike too, took over a horrendous situation. A program at the bottom of the P6 and close to the bottom of all college basketball. Lifting this team to NCAA Tournament appearances (and yes, 2020 and the 2022 play-in game count) was viewed as nothing short of miraculous at RU.

My point was that the FB board was toxic with regard to GS through much of the year. Killing him in losses and often invalidating wins (NW, VT, MSU). No, GS hasn't had that signature win since his return, but went 7-6 and won a bowl game against the 3rd toughest schedule in the country in Year 4. While the offense continues to be a struggle, 2023 was progress. Pike gets far more latitude in Year 8 than GS in Year 4.

Pike has built up a ton of equity over his 8 years here and deservedly so. But have the last 2 years here shown progress? Some sobering stats:
  • RU has won 5 of 19 B1G games since beating MSU at MSG last Feb
  • RU has lost 9 games at the RAC since the start of the 2022-23 season (many to inferior teams)
  • RU ranks 355th in FG pct this season
    • 348th in 3-pt FG pct
    • 349th in effective FG percentage
    • 341st in FT pct
Those numbers are incomprehensibly bad. We're placing a lot of eggs in the basket of these stud freshmen next year. For his sake, I hope they help Pike get the trendline pointed up again.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
There are no words for the coaching job tonight. I have never seen such bad lineups
How’s Oskar playing so much and how are you playing a 3 guard lineup when our guards are 6’0 tall

Did you miss the previous 29 years where Rutgers missed the NCAA's. A lot of coaches sucked here but Pike is not one of them.

I will agree that this years teams is abysmal. Reminds me of many of our bad teams before Pike got here.

Oskar plays because he’s one of our top perimeter shooters. The hope is that he or Gavin or Hyatt gets hot and keeps the defense honest.

Without perimeter threats the D swarms Cliff and clogs the lane keeping our guards from driving to the rim, which is basically all they are good at.

So, the talent is the issue not the playing time.

Oskar isn’t very good but is one of the few players who has the potential to draw the D farther out.

Oskar plays because he’s one of our top perimeter shooters. The hope is that he or Gavin or Hyatt gets hot and keeps the defense honest.

Without perimeter threats the D swarms Cliff and clogs the lane keeping our guards from driving to the rim, which is basically all they are good at.

So, the talent is the issue not the playing time.

Oskar isn’t very good but is one of the few players who has the potential to draw the D farther out.
Not sure what you are watching but Oskar is 6 for 24 from 3 which is worst of any of the players other than Cliff or Woolfolk; He is a liability on defense and should not be playing at this point he brings zero to the table

• Love
sent to him and the program at large
So question do you just give up on the game which is essentially what Pikiell did; He played 3 guards for almost the last 25 minutes and in the second half we got hammered on the boards 25-9 so sending this message essentially was him just saying we are going to lose; How can you keep playing Fernandes last night he had another ofer'

So question do you just give up on the game which is essentially what Pikiell did; He played 3 guards for almost the last 25 minutes and in the second half we got hammered on the boards 25-9 so sending this message essentially was him just saying we are going to lose; How can you keep playing Fernandes last night he had another ofer'
Why did he play the 3 guards?

So it allowed Gavin to guard a player that wouldn't expose him. We haven't played the 3 guards practically the entire season

Not sure what you are watching but Oskar is 6 for 24 from 3 which is worst of any of the players other than Cliff or Woolfolk; He is a liability on defense and should not be playing at this point he brings zero to the table
24 shot sample size lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT