ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Season Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
[laughing] Bite me. Make sure you're in your seat early.

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting you to be the poster who wished for a plane full of Penn State players to crash into a stadium full of their fans.

He's a physical specimen but barring injury he likely won't see the field this year. He's probably the 6th DT at the moment and I wouldn't anticipate the rotation going any more than 5 players.

RS FR, correct? Still lots of time. I hope he does well. I'm a big fan of kids who stick regardless of whether it is to the benefit of Penn State or not.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
RS FR, correct? Still lots of time. I hope he does well. I'm a big fan of kids who stick regardless of whether it is to the benefit of Penn State or not.

Thanks. I respect that. Yeah he's got plenty of time to develop. If he plays this year that means shit has hit the fan injury-wise.

I do like that we play PSU in game 11 as opposed to game 3, especially with a new staff and new schemes. If we played in Sept again id give PSU the huge edge some of you guys are saying. Of course though week 11 will test both squads depth.

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting you to be the poster who wished for a plane full of Penn State players to crash into a stadium full of their fans.
Don't forget the painful sunburn too.

Thanks. I respect that. Yeah he's got plenty of time to develop. If he plays this year that means shit has hit the fan injury-wise.

I do like that we play PSU in game 11 as opposed to game 3, especially with a new staff and new schemes. If we played in Sept again id give PSU the huge edge some of you guys are saying. Of course though week 11 will test both squads depth.

Well, I think there are two ways to look at that. The benefit of playing early is you may be able to catch PSU before their new offense gets clicking. You could say the same thing though.

On the other hand, one of the biggest questions for PSU is whether or not there starting LBs stay healthy. I would be shocked if both Bell and Wartman-White are playing against Rutgers. Then again, Turay, Hamilton and your one RB haven't particularly been healthy guys either.

The final piece is youth. We don't have many kids who will be first time starters and/or non players. If you do, a late season game negates that weakness.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Well, I think there are two ways to look at that. The benefit of playing early is you may be able to catch PSU before their new offense gets clicking. You could say the same thing though.

On the other hand, one of the biggest questions for PSU is whether or not there starting LBs stay healthy. I would be shocked if both Bell and Wartman-White are playing against Rutgers. Then again, Turay, Hamilton and your one RB haven't particularly been healthy guys either.

The final piece is youth. We don't have many kids who will be first time starters and/or non players. If you do, a late season game negates that weakness.

Agree. Yeah Hamilton's health is a question mark. Turray didn't even make the first fall camp 2-deep and I'd only expect him to play specials based on what I've heard. I see your point about catching PSU early but I'd like to think we start to get better AFTER the Iowa/OSU/Michigan murderers row in late sept/early oct and am hoping we become a pain in the ass to play by the last 1/3 of the season. I'm predicting 5-7.

Well past results is why PSU fans think we will be an easy win without even knowing much about our team yet.

First, I never said it would be easy; road night games rarely are. I think PSU *should* win the game because it's more talented than RU virtually across the board.

Guys, staters keep talking about Franklin NOT being on the hot seat because they can't fathom below a 7-5 record.
When they lose by double digits to pitt and barely beat temple, then lose at home to msu.... then they'll start to realize the seat is warming up.

I don't think that's true.
  • You have a QB controversy that is back from last season. Still a problem.
  • You have an undersized D-Line that gets absolutely mauled. To boot, you have at least one of your best DL who may not even play. Possibly two.
  • Your CBs are suspect.
  • Your OL is unproven. Lots of hype but Denman didn't look so hot when I saw him play last season.
  • You lost your best WR.
  • You may have good RBs but one of them can't stay on the field and the other is a scat back.
  • You lost your best LB.
Now, maybe I am wrong on half of the stuff I just posted but that's the feel I've gotten from reading here and also watching some of your games last year. I'd love to learn more about your team actually. All I know is that Penn State punished you last year in State College.

Who at RB can't stay on the field? Hicks (210) and Martin (205) have played every game since the middle of 2014. Goodwin(210) has been the 3rd down back since 2014. Sneed is a Frosh. There's the 1st 4. Who's a scat back?

According to the latest info I can find RU's projected D-Line averages 277, PSU? 268. Who's undersized?

Hamilton's a go and Turay was and is not one of the best DL on the roster.

Unproven OL with 4 starters back? OK

Yes, RU is trying to find the right QB that's true but you guys are hanging your hat on a kid with a little more than 1 Half's experience. Yeah, he's a regular Cam Newton.

Yes, RU lost Longa. You guys lost Johnson, Zeitel, and Nassib from the DL alone. Who lost a lot more? RU or PSU?

Yes, RU's CB's were burned last year and yes, Carroo is gone. I guess this proves the old saying "Even a blind Squirrel finds an accord once in a while" because the rest of your post is pure...

Another thing. Remember what happened to RU the week before the PSU game. Won't make an excuse because Barkley went crazy and your D was flying but the RU team that took the trip was starting to fall apart. That won't be an issue this year.

First, I never said it would be easy; road night games rarely are. I think PSU *should* win the game because it's more talented than RU virtually across the board.

Yeah I don't want to talk smack and I'm not even happy this thread was started. I hope your team and your fans take us lightly. But I had to dispute the whole "we told you 2014 was your last chance to beat us" because that assumes that a. Rutgers will never get better and b. That PSU is on a trajectory to get back to what they haven't really consistently been since the mid to late 90's. Both assumptions are a stretch at the current moment. PSU has had some nice recruiting classes on paper but just because you used to be great and play in a huge stadium that doesn't always automatically translate onto the field. Just ask Tennessee and Michigan under Hoke. I'm going to take the same approach with PSU that I've taken with Tennesseee the past few years....show me.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't want to talk smack and I'm not even happy this thread was started. I hope your team and your fans take us lightly. But I had to dispute the whole "we told you 2014 was your last chance to beat us" because that assumes that a. Rutgers will never get better and b. That PSU is on a trajectory to get back to what they haven't really consistently been since the mid to late 90's. Both assumptions are a stretch at the current moment. PSU has had some nice recruiting classes on paper but just because you used to be great and play in a huge stadium that doesn't always automatically translate onto the field. Just ask Tennessee and Michigan under Hoke. I'm going to take the same approach with PSU that I've taken with Tennesseee the past few years....show me.

Michigan and Tennessee are both primed for great years...it's almost as if great recruiting classes grow into great teams.

Rutgers may very well get better. But the fact of the matter is that you're never going to face a PSU team like 2014 again. We were playing 15 scholarships down, had a walk on punting the ball to midfield if we were lucky, and had two defensive tackles and a freshman (all with no experience) starting on our offensive line. At the very least, we're going to have a line full of 4 stars and Saquon/Miles moving forward. We return just about our entire back 7 this year. I'm not saying you can't beat us moving forward - you almost got Sparty last year - but I wouldn't expect to be favored any time soon.

Who at RB can't stay on the field? Hicks (210) and Martin (205) have played every game since the middle of 2014. Goodwin(210) has been the 3rd down back since 2014. Sneed is a Frosh. There's the 1st 4. Who's a scat back?

I was thinking of James. Thought Hicks was a scat but I could be wrong.

According to the latest info I can find RU's projected D-Line averages 277, PSU? 268. Who's undersized?

DL is our largest question mark. We had three DL drafted. None of our younger DTs who will play were recruited as DTs. They are LB/DE converts. That's a huge concern.

Hamilton's a go and Turay was and is not one of the best DL on the roster.

Turay was very hyped on here a few years ago.

Unproven OL with 4 starters back? OK

Didn't Denman start last year? He was terrible. Rutgers finished 9th in rushing in the B1G. To their credit, Rutgers finished 8th in sacks allowed. That's impressive.

Yes, RU is trying to find the right QB that's true but you guys are hanging your hat on a kid with a little more than 1 Half's experience. Yeah, he's a regular Cam Newton.

Does that change your QB situation? No, it doesn't.

Yes, RU lost Longa. You guys lost Johnson, Zeitel, and Nassib from the DL alone. Who lost a lot more? RU or PSU?

Which one of those three PSU players you mentioned played LB? I addressed our DL ITT.

Yes, RU's CB's were burned last year and yes, Carroo is gone. I guess this proves the old saying "Even a blind Squirrel finds an accord once in a while" because the rest of your post is pure...

I don't believe so. You seem a bit rustled and may want to take a deep breath and just have a conversation rather than going off the deep end.

Another thing. Remember what happened to RU the week before the PSU game. Won't make an excuse because Barkley went crazy and your D was flying but the RU team that took the trip was starting to fall apart. That won't be an issue this year.

That's an excuse. Your team wasn't very good either way.

Guys, staters keep talking about Franklin NOT being on the hot seat because they can't fathom below a 7-5 record.
When they lose by double digits to pitt and barely beat temple, then lose at home to msu.... then they'll start to realize the seat is warming up.

I believe you guys are way overestimating how hot Franklin's seat is. The OL is still a huge question mark and the DL could be the biggest weakness of the team. He is saving this year's recruiting class and that will help him. He also has a lot of talent (mostly OL) that won't be on the field until next year. Six wins won't get him fired IMO but it will make 2018 recruiting very difficult. Seven wins or more and there is no way they can him.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Michigan and Tennessee are both primed for great years...it's almost as if great recruiting classes grow into great teams.

Rutgers may very well get better. But the fact of the matter is that you're never going to face a PSU team like 2014 again. We were playing 15 scholarships down, had a walk on punting the ball to midfield if we were lucky, and had two defensive tackles and a freshman (all with no experience) starting on our offensive line. At the very least, we're going to have a line full of 4 stars and Saquon/Miles moving forward. We return just about our entire back 7 this year. I'm not saying you can't beat us moving forward - you almost got Sparty last year - but I wouldn't expect to be favored any time soon.

Well Michigan changed their coach and he's one of the best in the business. Tennessee = Yet to be determined.

Kent State Golden Flashes - win

Sep. 10
pittsburgh1.gif
at Pittsburgh Panthers - loss
Sep. 17
temple1.gif
Temple Owls -win

Sep. 24 at Michigan Wolverines - loss

Oct. 1 Minnesota Golden Gophers - win
Oct. 8 Maryland Terrapins (HC) - win
Oct. 22 Ohio State Buckeyes - loss
Oct. 29 at Purdue Boilermakers - win
Nov. 5 Iowa Hawkeyes -win
Nov. 12 at Indiana Hoosiers - win
Nov. 19 at Rutgers Scarlet Knights - loss
Nov. 26 Michigan State Spartans - loss

So...
Kent State-you better win that one
Pitt-Win....Pitt always, and I mean always, shits the bed when something is on the line, except the one time the league needed them to lose.
Temple-Win...can't imagine yo lose that one after hearing it all season
Michigan-Loss...but I wish I can find a way for both teams to lose this one
Minnesota-Loss-Minnesota better than people think
Maryland-Win-MD is at least one year away from being at least halfway decent
OSU-Loss, and bad
Purdue Win, they may be at interim coach by this time
Iowa-Loss, simply a better team than PSU
Indiana-Win, although much closer than people think
Rutgers Loss,and its gonna be epic
MSU-Loss, does Franklin get fired?

Record-6-6

All I remember is reading another board and a couple of PSU fans did not want to face Hamilton again. Hope he is healthy and penetrates your OL.

Unfortunately don't see State Penn losing more than 4 games this year.
They have the best RB in the B1G: Barkley

Unfortunately don't see State Penn losing more than 4 games this year.
They have the best RB in the B1G: Barkley

I could be wrong, but the days of the dominant feature back in the NFL and especially college seem to be becoming more and more obsolete. Yes, Barkley is a talent and a D has to scheme to contain him but I'd put more stock in QB and OL play as to how their season will play out. Happen to think PSU will see an upgrade in QB play for their system from what they've witnessed the past two seasons. How far the OL has come along remains to be seen and will determine if they break the 8 win barrier or we see more of what we've seen in Franklin's first 2 years.

The same world that has Rutgers beating us.

I want to hear about preseason practice along the OL and DL. Starting to think the OL is going to be an issue yet again. If that is the case then 6-7 wins tops. If OL is average to above average then I might be able to homer up to 8 wins.

Kudos for using "homer" as a verb, I've never seen that before!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Alright, gonna reply to a few before I read the rest.
Total class I see. Weren't you one of the people who made the trip last year to Happy Valley? Thanks for the support.
You need to invest in one of these:
83fd02da_smeter3ob_zpsh6wmzka9.jpeg

Thanks for the input.

• So is Rettig basically all hype? Have to guess that is the case.
  • Don't know if I can agree with your DL comment. Is Hamilton still your NT?
  • Sour grapes on my part regarding Denman. Oh well.
  • So are CBs still a concern? Our OL was young once too but as they got older they didn't get better. I have personally learned that aging with experience doesn't equal improvement.
Yeah, I'm concerned about our DL. That being said, is your OL really going to be a strength? Wasn't is a weakness last season?
I think Boogieknight answered the OL and DL questions pretty well, but I will say I'm hearing good things about Tariq Cole, who will be our starting LT barring injury. That was actually our biggest concern on the OL coming into the season.

So, our CB's. Last season was an absolute disaster, as the CB's who started the season weren't those on the 2-deep 3 days before the first game. We had 3 true freshman and one redshirt freshman play that day: Ronnie James, Jarius Adams, Blessuan Austin (FR), and Isaiah Wharton (rFR). So after not getting any (or much in the case of Wharton - I think he was vying for a 2-deep spot) work with the 1's or 2's, they were thrown in the fire.

With that being said, we do have some talent there, and the guys who have gone through winter conditioning, spring camp and, now, summer camp, should be our 2-deep starting the season. So I'm expecting a world of difference. (Barring, of course, unexpected events such as injuries, arrests, spontaneous weddings, etc.)
But you are right corners have a lot to prove although I think Austin has a chance to be real good eventually. But lack of depth at CB could hurt. We will be much better at safety then we've been the past three years.
At least we won't have to be tapping one of our safties as our nickel back this year.

My prediction is 10-2. Why because it's August and hope springs eternal. And barring injury, there's only one position group that I think has less production than last year and that's DL. This includes all special team positions. Our schedule will likely end up being easier than last year when we played 7 10 win teams.

Ok, time to make more blue kool-aid.

3-4 losses, OSU,Mich, MSU possibly Iowa.
On a good note we picked up a real nice WR today that MSU and Iowa offered and wanted.

3-4 losses, OSU,Mich, MSU possibly Iowa.
On a good note we picked up a real nice WR today that MSU and Iowa offered and wanted.

Up to 19th in the 247 composite with a few big fish still on the board. And just three weeks ago everyone was saying Franklin and staff couldn't recruit anymore.

Reactions: stacyusaf
Pitt will beat Penn State on 9/10/16 because Franklin is not a good HC and in player development.

I hope Franklin remains the HC at Penn State for a few more years.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Up to 19th in the 247 composite with a few big fish still on the board. And just three weeks ago everyone was saying Franklin and staff couldn't recruit anymore.
Believe most RU fans talked about Franklin's coaching and said he couldn't coach but credited his recruiting ability.
There was very little bashing of Franklin over his recruiting skills that I noticed, but since this is a Penn St thread say anything you want because the OP invited Nit opinions by making this thread about Nit FB.

I would like this statement : "And just three weeks ago everyone was saying Franklin and staff couldn't recruit anymore" justified.
Would be nice to see that happen so I don't feel you just put that in to brag about where 247 has Penn St
Rutgers is doing better than it has for awhile, # 25 is pretty good and might be better than some Penn St fans thought it would be.

My apologies for posting Rutgers information in a Penn St thread, but felt the need to ask about people claiming Franklin and his staff were being knocked as lousy recruiters just 3 weeks ago. Using that to sneak in Rutgers recruiting info [winking]
I don't remember that happening, though just because I don't remember it doesn't mean RU fans weren't knocking Penn St's recruiting.
It's just that I only remember posts knocking Franklin's coaching ability, not his recruiting ability which , in my opinion, he's very good at .

Believe most RU fans talked about Franklin's coaching and said he couldn't coach but credited his recruiting ability.
There was very little bashing of Franklin over his recruiting skills that I noticed, but since this is a Penn St thread say anything you want because the OP invited Nit opinions by making this thread about Nit FB.

I would like this statement : "And just three weeks ago everyone was saying Franklin and staff couldn't recruit anymore" justified.
Would be nice to see that happen so I don't feel you just put that in to brag about where 247 has Penn St
Rutgers is doing better than it has for awhile, # 25 is pretty good and might be better than some Penn St fans thought it would be.

My apologies for posting Rutgers information in a Penn St thread, but felt the need to ask about people claiming Franklin and his staff were being knocked as lousy recruiters just 3 weeks ago. Using that to sneak in Rutgers recruiting info [winking]
I don't remember that happening, though just because I don't remember it doesn't mean RU fans weren't knocking Penn St's recruiting.
It's just that I only remember posts knocking Franklin's coaching ability, not his recruiting ability which , in my opinion, he's very good at .

Franklin's recruiting ability was absolutely positively being questioned a few weeks ago. It had been a few months since he had gotten a recruit and the sting of getting his ass kicked in PA was not sitting well. I should know because I was one of the biggest culprits.

His last two weeks ago have been very, very good. The kids we have gotten are solid but I could still argue that they aren't the same type of 4*s that he has gotten in the past simply because of their offer lists. Regardless, he is wrapping up this class nicely and deserves credit for that. I believe PSU is somewhere around #15 when it comes to average star ranking.

Reactions: Cheesesteak Vegas
Pitt will beat Penn State on 9/10/16 because Franklin is not a good HC and in player development.

I hope Franklin remains the HC at Penn State for a few more years.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

These posts always crack me up. I'm still unsure about Franklin but what exactly has Narduzzi done as a HC? His best wins are close losses. Other than that, meh. He certainly didn't look like some type of defensive mastermind in your bowl game.

Now I'll sit back and wait for people to say that Franklin is sleazy and Narduzzi is not and let their judgement of coaching ability be based on that criteria alone.

Franklin's recruiting ability was absolutely positively being questioned a few weeks ago. It had been a few months since he had gotten a recruit and the sting of getting his ass kicked in PA was not sitting well. I should know because I was one of the biggest culprits.

His last two weeks ago have been very, very good. The kids we have gotten are solid but I could still argue that they aren't the same type of 4*s that he has gotten in the past simply because of their offer lists. Regardless, he is wrapping up this class nicely and deserves credit for that. I believe PSU is somewhere around #15 when it comes to average star ranking.
Thank you , will take your word on it.

Reactions: kjb32812
These posts always crack me up. I'm still unsure about Franklin but what exactly has Narduzzi done as a HC? His best wins are close losses. Other than that, meh. He certainly didn't look like some type of defensive mastermind in your bowl game

Now I'll sit back and wait for people to say that Franklin is sleazy and Narduzzi is not and let their judgement of coaching ability be based on that criteria alone.

You forgot to also mention that some of Narduzzi's losses were close wins.
Iowa by 3, North Carolina by 7 and Miami by 5.

Lets continue the conversation after the Pitt/Penn State game and again after the season is over.

I realize you have to play the games but I am rather confident in a Pitt win.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:

PSU thread or not, I don't think posting RU info on your board is ever anything to apologize for. Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I say well played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT