ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Season Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot to also mention that some of Narduzzi's losses were close wins.
Iowa by 3, North Carolina by 7 and Miami by 5.

Lets continue the conversation after the Pitt/Penn State game and again after the season is over.

I realize you have to play the games but I am rather confident in a Pitt win.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Actually, saying his best wins were close losses was pointing directly to the games you mentioned. What exactly was his best win last year? I think you only beat two teams with a winning record. It's okay though because Narduzzi didn't say anything about recruiting in NJ and also isn't salesy so people will tell you he's a hell of a head coach despite him doing nothing to prove it.

No joking around , just honest reality check answer:

PSU should beat the following schools: Kent State, Temple, Indiana, Purdue and Maryland without much issue.

Tricky games: Pitt, Rutgers, and Minn. They should win these games as well, but it will not be easy like the 1st group.

PSU will mostly likely lose to the following Schools: Michigan, OSU, MSU, and Iowa.

So we should see 5 to 8 wins for PSU in 2016.

No joking around , just honest reality check answer:

PSU should beat the following schools: Kent State, Temple, Indiana, Purdue and Maryland without much issue.

Tricky games: Pitt, Rutgers, and Minn. They should win these games as well, but it will not be easy like the 1st group.

PSU will mostly likely lose to the following Schools: Michigan, OSU, MSU, and Iowa.

So we should see 5 to 8 wins for PSU in 2016.

Very good. That's how I see it as well.

Not trying to flame but why do you see PSU vs Rutgers being a tricky game? Isn't Rutgers supposed to be one of the worst teams in the B1G and potentially the P5 conferences? Maybe it is because it is a home game. Is it at night? Maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't see a basis for predicting it that way.

Actually, saying his best wins were close losses was pointing directly to the games you mentioned. What exactly was his best win last year? I think you only beat two teams with a winning record. It's okay though because Narduzzi didn't say anything about recruiting in NJ and also isn't salesy so people will tell you he's a hell of a head coach despite him doing nothing to prove it.

Hey he went 8-5 in his first year as HC at Pitt.

We will see what he does against Penn State on 9/10/16 and we can discuss Narduzzi versus Franklin and who is the better coach after we play YOU (PSU).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Not trying to flame but why do you see PSU vs Rutgers being a tricky game? Isn't Rutgers supposed to be one of the worst teams in the B1G and potentially the P5 conferences? Maybe it is because it is a home game. Is it at night? Maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't see a basis for predicting it that way.

It's an away game at night in what is deemed as a rivalry game . Sure, penn state is the better team , but don't expect this to be an automatic w. Penn state should be favored and win the game , but good chance it's not going to be a blowout .

We will see what he does against Penn State on 9/10/16 and we can discuss Narduzzi versus Franklin and who is the better coach after we play YOU (PSU).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Well since you're so confidient, put your money where your mouth is...

Right now PSU is +5, ill put up $100-$300 on it your choice? Loser sends payment to paypal accounts, you in??

No way PSU loses to Temple again. .

I'm with you. People here are giving Temple a tad too much credit IMHO. Yes, they had a nice season,going 10-4 against a lousy schedule (about 80th SOS last year IIRC) last year, inludig a win over a PSU team that was a complete conundrum last season. Anyway...sorry I got off track...PSU wins this one at home.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
It's an away game at night in what is deemed as a rivalry game . Sure, penn state is the better team , but don't expect this to be an automatic w. Penn state should be favored and win the game , but good chance it's not going to be a blowout .
Supposably thje Nits are better and most of the so-called media college football experts will tell you Penn St is the better team.
I'll just say going into 2016 I will admit Penn St should be thought of as the better team , based on last season and historically .
But going into the game at Rutgers Stadium on 11/19, what was thought at the beginning of season might just be different because of how both teams played the 10 games before.

In Penn St's favor: even with home cooking Rutgers played MSU at their house a week before. Sometimes playing programs like the Spartans take something out of a team the next week.
Beating RU at their house will make it easier to recruit Jersey talent and Franklin will be at his best where motivation is concerned

In Rutgers favor: Penn St will be playing their second away game in a row.
Michigan St is the Nits opponent the next week and that might be on their minds a little bit. Wanting to impress their fans at Beaver Stadium and the Nits might be looking past RU a little bit ( but not much).
If RU is having a good season, this game will be an exclamation point.
Any other type of season, redemption !

Temple's D won't be as strong but neither will PSU's. Last years jail break blitzing and 8 sacks were the difference in Temple's win. I believe Temple can win if they can spend as much time in PSU's backfield as last year. If not and PSU can have a balanced O with Barkley and something resembling a passing game, they'll win.

That said, predicting games when there are 2 weeks of camp then 2 games before they play is a real crapshoot. Too much can happen between now and then to affect the outcome.

Who deemed it a rivalry ? Our rival is MSU in conference and Pitt out of conference.

Who deemed it a rivalry ? Our rival is MSU in conference and Pitt out of conference.

Maybe the same people who think two teams who haven't played in 16 years is a rivalry. I also wonder how the MSU people feel about the "rivalry"? You folks are no closer than 3rd to them after Michigan and OSU despite the B1G trying to create one.

Maybe the same people who think two teams who haven't played in 16 years is a rivalry. I also wonder how the MSU people feel about the "rivalry"? You folks are no closer than 3rd to them after Michigan and OSU despite the B1G trying to create one.
This. PSU doesn't want to acknowledge us a s a rivalry. I wonder how many PSU posters post daily on MSU and Pitt boards.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Until 2020 the best OOC team PSU plays is Pitt. Think about that. Between weak OOC and the BIG padding their crossover games anything les then 8 wins is sad. If you are gonna pay someone 4 million plus year he should compete for championships. At what point does he beat MSU, OSU, and Michigan? How many years does he get?

LOL, MSU is not a rivalry. B1G wanted it and tried to be cute with the whole Land Grant thing but it wasn't well received. Probably didn't help that we were 12-3 against them prior to the shet hitting the fan.

The reality is that PSU no longer has a true rivalry. Rutgers is a big game because of the recruiting hotbed in NJ and OSU surprisingly has considered us their second biggest rivalry over the years because we play them tough (I asked tMB OSU folks and that was what they said). Michigan has OSU #1 and MSU #2. PITT isn't a rivalry because we haven't played them in forever. We also gain absolutely nothing from playing PITT.

Penn State doesn't have a true rivalry like back in the good ole days when PITT, WVU and ND were on the schedule every year. The WVU series was extremely lopsided though.

Reactions: knightfan7
My 2016 PSU Prediction:

Twenty 10 year old boys raped in State College, PA area; nobody sees anything.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Until 2020 the best OOC team PSU plays is Pitt. Think about that. Between weak OOC and the BIG padding their crossover games anything les then 8 wins is sad. If you are gonna pay someone 4 million plus year he should compete for championships. At what point does he beat MSU, OSU, and Michigan? How many years does he get?

Give me a break. Do you honestly think they should have lined up murderer's row when the sanctions hit? If so, then you have absolutely no business acumen. When is the last time you played Bama as your OOC?

I mean, I'm no Franklin apologists but to think that he should be competing for NCs right now is delusional and also makes me question whether you have a clue.

EDIT: BTW, congrats on scheduling that brutal WSU squad that is 12-13 over the past two years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheesesteak Vegas
Penn St doesn't have a rival, Rutgers doesn't have a rival.
Neither schools have a B1G rival, but you can say Pitt is Penn St's rival OOC.
Michigan St fans don't consider Penn St a big rival just one of the rivalries they have
in conference play
PSU and MSU just play a Trophy game the B1G thought up, a real rivalry was hoped for but never happened.
I guess some Nit fans might think of MSU as their rival because of the trophy game, but
it seems like most fans of B1G schools , including MSU & PSU don't look at it like you claim.
Maybe I'm wrong and know there will be a Nit or 2 tell me so .

Maryland might become Rutgers main rival, but right now Maryland, Penn St and Rutgers don't play any conference games that can be considered a real rivalry game, including against each other,.

Last edited:
Following the same format I used in the Rutgers thread:

Kent State, Purdue look like sure wins.
Temple, Minnesota, Maryland, Rutgers should be wins.
Michigan, Ohio State look like sure losses.

That puts us at 6-2 not including Pitt, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan State.

I struggled with how to categorize Minnesota and Indiana. Typically I'd expect to beat both each season, but with a new QB, continued OL concerns, etc. I'll split the difference and call the road game a toss-up.

There is a wide range of outcomes for PSU this season, IMO, but I'm optimistic that we can get to 8-4 seeing as how OSU, Iowa and MSU are at home. A 7-5 finish would get a "meh" response but wouldn't be shocking, while 6-6 would certainly heat up Franklin's seat. If things break exactly right, 9-3 is possible, but certainly not likely.

The Pitt game will be telling.
do you think psu could have problems on the dline this year?

Whenever you play a "rival" at their place, crazy things tend to happen. PSU should win this game, but the Crowd will be a factor and the players will be extra pumped up for this one. So that alone takes this game away from being am easy win.

It is the same reason why it is so hard to beat Penn State at Home.

Give me a break. Do you honestly think they should have lined up murderer's row when the sanctions hit? If so, then you have absolutely no business acumen. When is the last time you played Bama as your OOC?

I mean, I'm no Franklin apologists but to think that he should be competing for NCs right now is delusional and also makes me question whether you have a clue.

EDIT: BTW, congrats on scheduling that brutal WSU squad that is 12-13 over the past two years.
I didn't say he should be competing for championships right now. What I said is if you pay someone 4 million a year you should be competing for championships. No, I don't think they should have set up murderer's row when the sanctions hit but they could have at least scheduled a p5 opponent somewhere along the line. There is a happy medium you know. As for WSU, when we scheduled them they were considered a team on the rise as most people thought Leach would turn them around. again, if you guys are cool paying 4-5 million a year to end up 4th in your division then best of luck.

Penn State was correct in limiting its nonconference games to programs like UCF, Syracuse, etc. during the sanction and post-sanction years. The most important things during that time period were to (a) remain on TV and (b) post something of a competitive record. There's no need to schedule Alabama when you have 65 scholarship players. You might call that inflating the record; I call it intelligent.

Further, James Franklin was not at PSU when any of those contracts were signed, so they are irrelevant in terms of his salary and performance.

As for how many years he gets: at least through 2017. Really, he should get more than that, as this is effectively year one of the Franklin era, but the pressure will become too much if the team fails to show progress over the next two seasons (and rightfully so).

Last edited:
do you think psu could have problems on the dline this year?

Define "problems." Obviously you're going to have an adjustment process when you put three starters into the NFL. But I think PSU has some talented young guys and will be able to rotate upwards of 10 players up front. I think you'll see a drop-off, especially early in the season, and someone especially needs to step up at DT, but I don't envision the defensive line being a major weakness.

Whenever you play a "rival" at their place, crazy things tend to happen. PSU should win this game, but the Crowd will be a factor and the players will be extra pumped up for this one. So that alone takes this game away from being am easy win.

It is the same reason why it is so hard to beat Penn State at Home.

This is a serious question: How will the atmosphere be that night if Rutgers enters the game with a 3-7 or 4-6 record?

Last edited:
No, I don't think they should have set up murderer's row when the sanctions hit but they could have at least scheduled a p5 opponent somewhere along the line. There is a happy medium you know.

And they hit that happy medium perfectly by playing Virginia and Syracuse, and Rutgers would have been a nonconference opponent as well during those years. If you need to criticize last year's slate of Temple, Buffalo, San Diego State and Army, you do you. I wasn't excited by it as a season ticket holder, but the AD handled scheduling appropriately given the situation. I'm looking forward to the games against WVU, Virginia Tech and Auburn. It's just too bad we have to get through four years of Pitt - I'm not a believer in playing them annually - before they can happen.

And they hit that happy medium perfectly by playing Virginia and Syracuse, and Rutgers would have been a nonconference opponent as well during those years. If you need to criticize last year's slate of Temple, Buffalo, San Diego State and Army, you do you. I wasn't excited by it as a season ticket holder, but the AD handled scheduling appropriately given the situation. I'm looking forward to the games against WVU, Virginia Tech and Auburn. It's just too bad we have to get through four years of Pitt - I'm not a believer in playing them annually - before they can happen.

Excellent point about Rutgers. I forgot that part.

I didn't say he should be competing for championships right now. What I said is if you pay someone 4 million a year you should be competing for championships. No, I don't think they should have set up murderer's row when the sanctions hit but they could have at least scheduled a p5 opponent somewhere along the line. There is a happy medium you know. As for WSU, when we scheduled them they were considered a team on the rise as most people thought Leach would turn them around. again, if you guys are cool paying 4-5 million a year to end up 4th in your division then best of luck.

Let me ask you this @vkj91. If Ash brings in a boatload of talent over the next two years (let's say your classes are both in the T30) but he doesn't finish above .500 in either season will you want him fired? If you don't believe that is enough time, would you fire him after year three if he ends up 6-6?

I obviously need to keep in mind that this is a Rutgers board, not a Penn State one, but putting Franklin on full blast after only two years seems a bit agenda-driven IMO. I think this season is very important for him but I don't even think this one will get him fired unless he were to win five games or less.

Reactions: jup540
Penn St doesn't have a rival, Rutgers doesn't have a rival.
Neither schools have a B1G rival, but you can say Pitt is Penn St's rival OOC.
Michigan St fans don't consider Penn St a big rival just one of the rivalries they have
in conference play
PSU and MSU just play a Trophy game the B1G thought up, a real rivalry was hoped for but never happened.
I guess some Nit fans might think of MSU as their rival because of the trophy game, but
it seems like most fans of B1G schools , including MSU & PSU don't look at it like you claim.
Maybe I'm wrong and know there will be a Nit or 2 tell me so .

Maryland might become Rutgers main rival, but right now Maryland, Penn St and Rutgers don't play any conference games that can be considered a real rivalry game, including against each other,.

It really is crazy that PSU doesn't have a rival. I was very surprised by the responses I got from OSU fans on tMB. Up until that time I thought we were just an afterthought for them because of Michigan. That wasn't the case though. Then again, we have had some very good games since entering the B1G. Record isn't what PSU would want but still some very good games.

I think there was some hope that Nebraska and PSU might also become rivals but the timing just wasn't right. Tough to have a true rivalry that is on the other side of the country too.

Once we get good, we will make good rivals. Everything else is already there. All the ingredients are there and ready to go. We just need to actually turn on the heat and start cooking. Hopefully Ash will allow us to do this.

At the end of the day PSU will never take Rutgers seriously until we beat them a few times.

Let me ask you this @vkj91. If Ash brings in a boatload of talent over the next two years (let's say your classes are both in the T30) but he doesn't finish above .500 in either season will you want him fired? If you don't believe that is enough time, would you fire him after year three if he ends up 6-6?

I obviously need to keep in mind that this is a Rutgers board, not a Penn State one, but putting Franklin on full blast after only two years seems a bit agenda-driven IMO. I think this season is very important for him but I don't even think this one will get him fired unless he were to win five games or less.
If we were paying Ash close to 5 million dollars a year....no, 6-6 wouldn't be good enough. Why am I going to pay that much money for the same results Flood got me?
I don't have Franklin on full blast or on a hot seat. My point has been if you include this season he will have played 1 P5 OOC opponent in his 3 seasons. PSU has played only 2 in the last 4 seasons. I don't visit your board but in his first two seasons you win totals have been below what your fans expected. You can't tell me that looking at your schedules he's done anything but bare minimum expectation wise. to me, anything less than 7 wins these next two years and he's losing to teams he shouldn't. Plus shouldn't your standards be higher than lowly Butgers? I mean it wasn't the media who coined you as Unrivaled.

Define "problems." Obviously you're going to have an adjustment process when you put three starters into the NFL. But I think PSU has some talented young guys and will be able to rotate upwards of 10 players up front. I think you'll see a drop-off, especially early in the season, and someone especially needs to step up at DT, but I don't envision the defensive line being a major weakness.

Looking at it from afar it will affect how the defense fares. What is unknown is how much. The outstanding 2015 DL was dominant which was a great help for the back 7. Not saying there isn't talent at LB and DB but when you lose the likes of Johnson, Zeitel, and Nassib all at the same time it puts a lot more pressure on the rest of the unit, especially for a team that has hung their hat on the defense the past couple of years.

If we were paying Ash close to 5 million dollars a year....no, 6-6 wouldn't be good enough. Why am I going to pay that much money for the same results Flood got me?
I don't have Franklin on full blast or on a hot seat. My point has been if you include this season he will have played 1 P5 OOC opponent in his 3 seasons. PSU has played only 2 in the last 4 seasons. I don't visit your board but in his first two seasons you win totals have been below what your fans expected. You can't tell me that looking at your schedules he's done anything but bare minimum expectation wise. to me, anything less than 7 wins these next two years and he's losing to teams he shouldn't. Plus shouldn't your standards be higher than lowly Butgers? I mean it wasn't the media who coined you as Unrivaled.

I wasn't making a comparison to Rutgers in my post I was simply using it as an example.

I don't follow Rutgers nearly as closely as you or anyone else on this board but one thing I do know is that Flood couldn't recruit for shet and the cupboard is beyond bare. Maybe you are holding out hope that you have the next Chris Petersen or Dantonio but I wouldn't hold my breath. Talent is needed to win football games and you don't have enough of it right now. In some ways, you are similar to Penn State. Could Franklin have gotten an extra win each of the last two seasons with better coaching? Maybe. I'm not ready to send him down the river yet when his kids aren't even on the field yet for the most part.

I think Franklin was fine last year. Some would argue Temple but they were probably the better team. Most people who really know football would actually argue NW was our worst loss as they say our game plan was terrible.

I haven't made my prediction for this year yet but it will either be 7 or 8 wins. I'm waiting to hear about the OL as that is still the biggest question mark. I'm already under the impression that DL will struggle and the defense will take a step back. That being said, if our LBs stay healthy we will be fine as LB play last year was noticeably bad. We also have studs in our secondary.

I'd be interested in hearing some other RU posters chime in re: what I typed about Ash. Aren't you going from a pro style to a spread offense as well?

Looking at it from afar it will affect how the defense fares. What is unknown is how much. The outstanding 2015 DL was dominant which was a great help for the back 7. Not saying there isn't talent at LB and DB but when you lose the likes of Johnson, Zeitel, and Nassib all at the same time it puts a lot more pressure on the rest of the unit, especially for a team that has hung their hat on the defense the past couple of years.

Last year was the first year I can remember where I could notice bad LB play. The DL would do their job and I would be expecting the LBs to be there to clean it up and it just didn't happen. This year we will be very reliant on our LBs which could be a problem since two of them have a history of not being able to stay healthy.

Last year was the first year I can remember where I could notice bad LB play. The DL would do their job and I would be expecting the LBs to be there to clean it up and it just didn't happen. This year we will be very reliant on our LBs which could be a problem since two of them have a history of not being able to stay healthy.

Is it fair to say PSU will absolutely need to show a lot more on offense than we've seen recently to have a good (7 or more wins) year? How would you feel about going into the B1G schedule if you guys are 2-1?

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Does it matter if he won 8 games playing in the easiest division in the power 5 conferences. It not like he going to stay at Pitt long. Haven't you learned from the past? If you have success at Pitt you move on to a better program. Just like Chryst, Graham, Harris, Sherrill and Majors did. If don't you get fired for being incompetent. Your not dumb enough to believe Narduzzi will actually be there long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT