ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Season Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it fair to say PSU will absolutely need to show a lot more on offense than we've seen recently to have a good (7 or more wins) year? How would you feel about going into the B1G schedule if you guys are 2-1?

Absolutely fair. We have some serious, serious talent at the skill positions as well as depth:
  • RB: Barkley, Miles Sanders, Mark Allen, Andre Robinson
  • WR: Godwin, Hamilton, Blacknall, Johnson, Charles
We also have two QBs who are perfectly capable of running Moorhead's offense. As usual, it will come down to the OL play. I was initially a bit discouraged after reports that the OL is still unsettled despite tons of kids with experience coming back. I'm now a bit more optimistic after reading Tweets from the BTN crew after their visit on Saturday. Will have to watch the preview tonight. Our BWI guy (Nate Bauer) has nailed the OL predictions the last two years so I will wait to hear from him as well as he hasn't given his opinion yet.

Anyhow, I expect our offense to be much, much better and some folks on our board who are in the know have predicted we average 28-30 PPG. That would be a huge improvement.

In regards to 2-1, I'd be fine. Would prefer 3-0 but I'd take 2-1.

Once we get good, we will make good rivals. Everything else is already there. All the ingredients are there and ready to go. We just need to actually turn on the heat and start cooking. Hopefully Ash will allow us to do this.

At the end of the day PSU will never take Rutgers seriously until we beat them a few times.

Agree. I've said this in past threads but the high water mark from your program so far was 2006-2012. While not the dark years of the early 2000s it was a stretch that was below the typical PSU teams. However, PSU was still better than RU over that time frame. A couple of wins will change that but right now you couldn't beat a sanctioned team, and the talent gap is growing. Pretty much how you all view Syracuse is how we view you.

Looking at it from afar it will affect how the defense fares. What is unknown is how much. The outstanding 2015 DL was dominant which was a great help for the back 7. Not saying there isn't talent at LB and DB but when you lose the likes of Johnson, Zeitel, and Nassib all at the same time it puts a lot more pressure on the rest of the unit, especially for a team that has hung their hat on the defense the past couple of years.

Totally understand your point. It's not easy to replace guys like Johnson, Zettel and Nassib. Of course, it wasn't easy to replace guys like Tamba Hali, Jordan Hill, Jared Odrick, etc. in past years. I think Garrett Sickels could be poised for a big year, and I think we have a number of young, talented guys (a few of them 4-star recruits) who have been in the program for a year or two. I also think the position group is well-coached.

If the DL doesn't take a massive step back (and barring injury problems, especially at LB), I think this defense will be just fine, as the linebackers and secondary are among the best in the B1G.

Last edited:
Is it fair to say PSU will absolutely need to show a lot more on offense than we've seen recently to have a good (7 or more wins) year? How would you feel about going into the B1G schedule if you guys are 2-1?

The offense has been nothing short of abominable the past two seasons. I think you'll see a more exciting brand of offense this season, thanks to the playmakers and scheme. To what degree of effectiveness depends on the progress of the OL. Call me cautiously optimistic.

If PSU is 2-1 after nonconference play, that likely means a loss at Pitt, which won't be fun for anyone, especially those of us who deal with Pitt fans in real life, but it also won't be the end of the world. In fact, it's probably the most likely result for PSU, although I do think we are talented enough to beat Pitt on the road.

Totally understand your point. It's not easy to replace guys like Johnson, Zettel and Nassib. Of course, it wasn't easy to replace guys like Tamba Hali, Jordan Hill, Jared Odrick, etc. in past years. I think Garrett Sickels could be poised for a big year, and I think we have a number of young, talented guys (a few of them 4-star recruits) who have been in the program for a year or two. I also think the position group is well-coached.

If the DL doesn't take a massive step back (and barring injury problems, especially at LB), I think this defense will be just fine, as the linebackers and secondary are among the best in the B1G.

Taking RU and PSU out of the equation, who do you PSU guys see in the B1G making the biggest improvement? Michigan or maybe Nebraska? Biggest drop? Wisconsin?

Taking RU and PSU out of the equation, who do you PSU guys see in the B1G making the biggest improvement? Michigan or maybe Nebraska? Biggest drop? Wisconsin?

Well, every one and their brother is slobbering over Michigan so I would probably go with them.

I don't follow the W much but I'm anxious to see what MSU does without Cook. I think that is the biggest drop.

Well, every one and their brother is slobbering over Michigan so I would probably go with them.

I don't follow the W much but I'm anxious to see what MSU does without Cook. I think that is the biggest drop.

Both Wisky and MSU have to replace more than half their 2015 starting 22. I guess I just have more faith in Dantonio's ability to get the most out of his roster but I could see MSU struggling by their standards.

Both Wisky and MSU have to replace more than half their 2015 starting 22. I guess I just have more faith in Dantonio's ability to get the most out of his roster but I could see MSU struggling by their standards.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of MSU.

This.

You can't look anywhere without hearing about how this is the year Harbaugh returns to Michigan to prominence. So we'll see. I think this will be an interesting year in the league. You have teams like Ohio State and Michigan State that lost a lot, but one returns the quarterback and has recruited like gangbusters, and the other had a major transition year the last time it lost a QB (Kirk Cousins).

I think Penn State will be an improved team, even if the record doesn't look a whole lot different by the end of the season, in that 7-5, 8-4 range. People seem to be high on Indiana, and then I think you'll see RU and Maryland near the bottom of the B1G East.

The B1G West will be interesting, because I can't see Iowa winning 12 games again. Nebraska will probably be better, and it'll be interesting to see what Lovie Smith can do at Illinois, though that will likely need to be measured over the course of the next three years or so and not just this season. He's replacing a guy that was probably even more incompetent than Kyle Flood.

It is also hard to sleep on Urbs when he took a team with a 3rd string QB to the National Title. He has to love that no one is talking about OSU and I'm sure he is using it as motivation.

LOL, MSU is not a rivalry. B1G wanted it and tried to be cute with the whole Land Grant thing but it wasn't well received. Probably didn't help that we were 12-3 against them prior to the shet hitting the fan.

The reality is that PSU no longer has a true rivalry. Rutgers is a big game because of the recruiting hotbed in NJ and OSU surprisingly has considered us their second biggest rivalry over the years because we play them tough (I asked tMB OSU folks and that was what they said). Michigan has OSU #1 and MSU #2. PITT isn't a rivalry because we haven't played them in forever. We also gain absolutely nothing from playing PITT.

Penn State doesn't have a true rivalry like back in the good ole days when PITT, WVU and ND were on the schedule every year. The WVU series was extremely lopsided though.
Let's tap the brakes here lol, all I'm saying is on paper MSU, Pitt are our rivals. When we play OSU,Michigan and ND it feels like a rivalry game but is just a "BIG" game for us. PSU really doesn't have a "true" rival, it's news to me in the last two years after all the years of PSU football we have anointed Rutgers our rival lol.

Let's tap the brakes here lol, all I'm saying is on paper MSU, Pitt are our rivals. When we play OSU,Michigan and ND it feels like a rivalry game but is just a "BIG" game for us. PSU really doesn't have a "tire" rival, it's news to me in the last two years after all the years of PSU football we have anointed Rutgers our rival lol.

I agree we don't have a true rival.

Reactions: stacyusaf
Does it matter if he won 8 games playing in the easiest division in the power 5 conferences. It not like he going to stay at Pitt long. Haven't you learned from the past? If you have success at Pitt you move on to a better program. Just like Chryst, Graham, Harris, Sherrill and Majors did. If don't you get fired for being incompetent. Your not dumb enough to believe Narduzzi will actually be there long term?

Yes I do believe Narduzzi will be at Pitt for the Long Term.

Why?

Because Pitt has a New Chancellor who is committed to improving the Football Program.

Pitt has a new AD who is committed to improving the Football Program.

Previously, Pitt as a member of the Big East Conference was handicapped (Rutgers fans will concur) by the lack of money ($$$$$$$).

That problem ($$$$$$$) has been corrected by ACC membership.

Penn State does not have a rival. What defines a rival. I think a rival is a team you can't stand to lose to.

I think Penn State fans will be really bugged if they lose to Pitt.

Be sure to tune in 9/10/16, for Narduzzi versus Franklin.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Let's tap the brakes here lol, all I'm saying is on paper MSU, Pitt are our rivals. When we play OSU,Michigan and ND it feels like a rivalry game but is just a "BIG" game for us. PSU really doesn't have a "true" rival, it's news to me in the last two years after all the years of PSU football we have anointed Rutgers our rival lol.
Looks like Penn St has some big games but nothing that can be considered a true B1G rivalry game nationally recognized
Pitt would be a big rival OOC and I feel it would be noticed by College FB fans nation wide if it had continued on a yearly bases instead of stopping16 or so years ago.
If both schools agree to play each other every year, probably will be a true rivalry game a little after series starts with games every year.
Right now I think Pitt and PSU only agreed to a home and home ending after the 2017 game between them. No rivalry can be claimed, in my opinion, that way.

As for the Nits and Scarlet Knights being rivals, nice to talk about but not there yet and might never become more than it is now if RU doesn't start knocking the crap out of Penn St. There's really no competitive tradition between PSU and RU in the games they played each other before RU joined the B1G.
It will take time for any rivalry to develop ( if one even does) between RU and PSU, even if both sets of fans talk smack to each other on message boards like this.

Yes I do believe Narduzzi will be at Pitt for the Long Term.

Why?

Because Pitt has a New Chancellor who is committed to improving the Football Program.

Pitt has a new AD who is committed to improving the Football Program.

Previously, Pitt as a member of the Big East Conference was handicapped (Rutgers fans will concur) by the lack of money ($$$$$$$).

That problem ($$$$$$$) has been corrected by ACC membership.

Penn State does not have a rival. What defines a rival. I think a rival is a team you can't stand to lose to.

I think Penn State fans will be really bugged if they lose to Pitt.

Be sure to tune in 9/10/16, for Narduzzi versus Franklin.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

We've played, what, twice in 25 years. Hard to say that is a rivalry. During the 80s when I was growing up? Absolutely.

I think not having a stadium on campus will continue to haunt you. I also don't think your fans are doing you any favors by not coming to games. That matters when it comes to advertising and just revenue in general (no flame for once). It also doesn't help you that the Steelers and Penguins overshadow anything having to do with the University of Pittsburgh. Let's face it, fandom for the city of Pittsburgh sports teams is grossly, grossly overrated. Who wouldn't be a fan of teams that haven't experienced consistent losing in my entire lifetime? Meanwhile, the Pirates weren't supported for decades until they got it together.

I know there are several people who bought PITT Season Tickets rather than individual tickets for our game. Think about that for a second.

Looks like Penn St has some big games but nothing that can be considered a true B1G rivalry game nationally recognized
Pitt would be a big rival OOC and I feel it would be noticed by College FB fans nation wide if it had continued on a yearly bases instead of stopping16 or so years ago.
If both schools agree to play each other every year, probably will be a true rivalry game a little after series starts with games every year.
Right now I think Pitt and PSU only agreed to a home and home ending after the 2017 game between them. No rivalry can be claimed, in my opinion, that way.

As for the Nits and Scarlet Knights being rivals, nice to talk about but not there yet and might never become more than it is now if RU doesn't start knocking the crap out of Penn St. There's really no competitive tradition between PSU and RU in the games they played each other before RU joined the B1G.
It will take time for any rivalry to develop ( if one even does) between RU and PSU, even if both sets of fans talk smack to each other on message boards like this.

I used to be a fan of playing PITT every year but there is literally no upside to it for Penn State. We will sell out there stadium for them and get the Yinzers all in an uproar. What's in it for us? We already beat their ass in-state for recruits and do just fine in the WPIAL as-is. Yinzers will cry foul but they won't play WVU consistently for the exact same reasons. PSU is much better off moving down the shore and playing VT, UVA and UNC. Bigger impact and arguably the same level of football.

I used to be a fan of playing PITT every year but there is literally no upside to it for Penn State. We will sell out there stadium for them and get the Yinzers all in an uproar. What's in it for us? We already beat their ass in-state for recruits and do just fine in the WPIAL as-is. Yinzers will cry foul but they won't play WVU consistently for the exact same reasons. PSU is much better off moving down the shore and playing VT, UVA and UNC. Bigger impact and arguably the same level of football.

Beyond this, a long-term annual series would be awful for the Penn State season ticket holder, as it would kill any chance of the regional (West Virginia, Virginia Tech) or national (Auburn) OOC games like we have in the coming years.

You'll get some people who will say you could play a cupcake, Pitt, AND another interesting OOC game, but that's simply never going to happen. A nine-game conference schedule plus one legit OOC game is more than sufficient in terms of strength of schedule when thinking about playoff qualification.

Penn State does not want to play Pitt because it would drive Penn State fans nuts by consistently losing to Pitt.

One of the reasons I have a good deal of confidence in Pitt beating Penn State is because I don't believe Franklin is a good coach against competitive competition.

Tune in 9/10/16 and lets see how it goes.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

A lot of people are saying PSU will have a better year than expected, but I think they are not accounting for the fact that PSU has no QB and that their OLine is really terrible.

Plus, PSU Football doesn't tip Jimmy John's delivery boys apparently. That's just messed up.

So since you don't think playing Pitt would be a good move, what school do you feel would make a good OOC rival for Penn St.
If you chose Notre Dame , add your #2 choice.
Then for the B1G rival, Rutgers or another school.

My OOC choice for RU is Miami ( recruiting area),but there's nothing that makes it on from past history except being in the same conference a long time ago.
B1G would be the Nits, but past history between the schools won't be the reason, RU's play on the field will be the only way it will become one .
Just trash talk between fan bases win;t make a rivalry, but will help any rivalry start and become a good one if the play on field shows ones deserved

Recruiting.

That is the reason I don't think Franklin is a good football coach.

You get recruits but do not develop the players and end up with a mediocre record.

Falls on the HC.

If what you say is true, then Pitt should not stand a chance with all of the great recruits you have.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

So since you don't think playing Pitt would be a good move, what school do you feel would make a good OOC rival for Penn St.
If you chose Notre Dame , add your #2 choice.
Then for the B1G rival, Rutgers or another school.

My OOC choice for RU is Miami ( recruiting area),but there's nothing that makes it on from past history except being in the same conference a long time ago.
B1G would be the Nits, but past history between the schools won't be the reason, RU's play on the field will be the only way it will become one .
Just trash talk between fan bases win;t make a rivalry, but will help any rivalry start and become a good one if the play on field shows ones deserved

I already named them. I would stick to the Eastern shore...UVA, VT, UNC. I'm cool with WVU and PITT and ND from time to time as well but wouldn't want them every year. Notice the PITT guy didn't answer my question about what is in it for playing PITT annually? The reason is because there isn't a benefit. It is all upside for PITT and their fans know it. Would we play BC every year or UCONN or Syracuse? Of course not. Their recruiting area sucks and we are getting the majority of kids we want from there when H2H anyhow. Same thing as PITT.

Recruiting.

You get recruits but do not develop the players and end up with a mediocre record.

Falls on the HC.

If what you say is true, then Pitt should not stand a chance with all of the great recruits you have.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

We already do just fine in the WPIAL. Hamlin and Whitehead in two years...big deal. How you guys doing in Philly? How about ANYWHERE in PA not included in the WPIAL. Lulz.

We already do just fine in the WPIAL. Hamlin and Whitehead in two years...big deal. How you guys doing in Philly? How about ANYWHERE in PA not included in the WPIAL. Lulz.

Then you guys are in great shape.

However, if we beat you what would account for that.

Maybe, because Franklin is not a good coach and poor player development.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I already named them. I would stick to the Eastern shore...UVA, VT, UNC. I'm cool with WVU and PITT and ND from time to time as well but wouldn't want them every year. Notice the PITT guy didn't answer my question about what is in it for playing PITT annually? The reason is because there isn't a benefit. It is all upside for PITT and their fans know it. Would we play BC every year or UCONN or Syracuse? Of course not. Their recruiting area sucks and we are getting the majority of kids we want from there when H2H anyhow. Same thing as PITT.

Lets see:

Florida State versus Florida.
Iowa versus Iowa State.
Georgia versus Georgia Tech
Clemson versus South Carolina
Colorado versus Colorado State
Kentucky versus Louisville
Etc.

Maybe the fear of losing to Pitt.

By the way Pitt is looking to schedule WVU in both football and basketball.

Pitt could set up a two year on and off schedule deal with Penn State and WVU.

Play both you guys every two years.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Lets see:

Florida State versus Florida.
Iowa versus Iowa State.
Georgia versus Georgia Tech
Clemson versus South Carolina
ETC.

Maybe the fear of losing to Pitt.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Still waiting for that benefit to Penn State.

You Yinzers would love to get all hopped up on IC Light and play Penn State every year because there is no downside to it. Meanwhile, there's no upside for Penn State. What are we going to do, get that one extra WPIAL kid every year?

Reactions: Cheesesteak Vegas
A lot of people are saying PSU will have a better year than expected, but I think they are not accounting for the fact that PSU has no QB and that their OLine is really terrible.

Plus, PSU Football doesn't tip Jimmy John's delivery boys apparently. That's just messed up.

We will be fine at QB because we are running a read option, spread offense with a dual threat QB.

Let's tap the brakes here lol, all I'm saying is on paper MSU, Pitt are our rivals. When we play OSU,Michigan and ND it feels like a rivalry game but is just a "BIG" game for us. PSU really doesn't have a "tire" rival, it's news to me in the last two years after all the years of PSU football we have anointed Rutgers our rival lol.

Penn State is never really going to have a rival , I guess similar to ND ? Who is the fighting irish's rival? Michigan ? USC ? They are just "BIG" games. Rivalries like OSU vs Mich or bama vs auburn just don't get started anymore there was more to it.

Penn State is never really going to have a rival , I guess similar to ND ? Who is the fighting irish's rival? Michigan ? USC ? They are just "BIG" games. Rivalries like OSU vs Mich or bama vs auburn just don't get started anymore there was more to it.

"Rival" went out when the All Eastern Conference died. I don't care either way but that's just the reality of it.

Agree. I've said this in past threads but the high water mark from your program so far was 2006-2012. While not the dark years of the early 2000s it was a stretch that was below the typical PSU teams. However, PSU was still better than RU over that time frame. A couple of wins will change that but right now you couldn't beat a sanctioned team, and the talent gap is growing. Pretty much how you all view Syracuse is how we view you.

Don't be like Michigan, at one point they thought that MSU would never catch up to them...

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Don't be like Michigan, at one point they thought that MSU would never catch up to them...

I specifically said a few wins would change perception but right now perception is:
PSU > RU == RU > SU

FWIW I also predict MSU will regress and be a 9-10 win team versus competing for B1G championships like they have been.

And they haven't, at least not exactly. Sure, MSU is in the midst of a great stretch over the past six years, but before that it had won 10 games exactly ONCE since 1965. What will happen when Dantonio retires? Will the next staff be able to coach as well? Will it be able to recruit the same types of players? Only a handful of programs can "sell themselves," and MSU is not one, at least not yet. Like it or not, brands endure and history counts for a lot in college football. Give MSU tons of credit for what it's done over the last half decade, and it helps that Michigan largely struggled over the same period, but don't make the mistake of thinking it has "caught" Michigan. That is still very much TBD.

Recruiting.

Falls on the HC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

You do realize franklins only been on campus for two years, right? So far, of the players he has developed from the ground up, we have an All-B1G receiver, a freshman all American running back, and three returning starters in our secondary.

The line was hardest hit by sanctions and BOBs recruiting over the past two seasons. Franklin had been bringing in studs to recover, but they traditionally take longer to develop. Once Menet/Bates/Gonzales/Jenkins/McGovern/Fries are seasoned and blow some holes open for our skill guys....look out.

You Yinzers would love to get all hopped up on IC Light and play Penn State every year because there is no downside to it. Meanwhile, there's no upside for Penn State. What are we going to do, get that one extra WPIAL kid every year?

What is in it for Penn State.

The answer is in the article that Vegas posted above.

Read it.

Ranked as one of the Top Big Ten games to be played this year.

Of the 15 Top Big Ten games that will be played the Pitt versus Penn State game is listed at #8.

National Exposure with TV Broadcast

You will have a "filled" Beaver Stadium for that game. I have noticed that you have not had filled stadiums for many of your home games.

Hey, if your afraid to schedule Pitt I'll understand.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

You do realize franklins only been on campus for two years, right? So far, of the players he has developed from the ground up, we have an All-B1G receiver, a freshman all American running back, and three returning starters in our secondary.

The line was hardest hit by sanctions and BOBs recruiting over the past two seasons. Franklin had been bringing in studs to recover, but they traditionally take longer to develop. Once Menet/Bates/Gonzales/Jenkins/McGovern/Fries are seasoned and blow some holes open for our skill guys....look out.

Well Narduzzi has only been at Pitt for one year and you guys keep telling us how you get great recruits compared to Pitt.

Should be an interesting match up.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Read it.

Of the 15 Top Big Ten games that will be played the Pitt versus Penn State game is listed at #8.

You will have a "filled" Beaver Stadium for that game. I have noticed that you have not had filled stadiums for many of your home games.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

LOL. We average 90,000+ and you average somewhere around 36,000 iirc. You really want to talk attendance? BTW, think you can sell out Penn Hills HS for a spring game?

Read it.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Penn State averaged 99,800 fans per home game last season, with an awful OOC schedule to boot, but we appreciate your concern over our attendance "problems."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT