ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Season Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero grimes

All American
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2015
In honor of all our "friends"from PSU who love posting on our site, I thought it would be fun to predict their schedule for them and let them give their take.

Kent State Golden Flashes - win

Sep. 10
pittsburgh1.gif
at Pittsburgh Panthers - loss
Sep. 17
temple1.gif
Temple Owls - loss

Sep. 24 at Michigan Wolverines - loss

Oct. 1 Minnesota Golden Gophers - loss
Oct. 8 Maryland Terrapins (HC) - win
Oct. 22 Ohio State Buckeyes - loss
Oct. 29 at Purdue Boilermakers - win
Nov. 5 Iowa Hawkeyes -loss
Nov. 12 at Indiana Hoosiers - win
Nov. 19 at Rutgers Scarlet Knights - loss
Nov. 26 Michigan State Spartans - loss
Dec. 3
big-ten-logo-70.png
Big Ten Championship Game - watching from home as the search for Franklin's replacement heats up.

Reactions: thegock
I would say they beat Temple at home...But toss up (65% chance they win)
I said Pitt is 50/50
Then I give them a 60% chance of beating us.

Following the same format I used in the Rutgers thread:

Kent State, Purdue look like sure wins.
Temple, Minnesota, Maryland, Rutgers should be wins.
Michigan, Ohio State look like sure losses.

That puts us at 6-2 not including Pitt, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan State.

I struggled with how to categorize Minnesota and Indiana. Typically I'd expect to beat both each season, but with a new QB, continued OL concerns, etc. I'll split the difference and call the road game a toss-up.

There is a wide range of outcomes for PSU this season, IMO, but I'm optimistic that we can get to 8-4 seeing as how OSU, Iowa and MSU are at home. A 7-5 finish would get a "meh" response but wouldn't be shocking, while 6-6 would certainly heat up Franklin's seat. If things break exactly right, 9-3 is possible, but certainly not likely.

The Pitt game will be telling.

Following the same format I used in the Rutgers thread:

Kent State, Purdue look like sure wins.
Temple, Minnesota, Maryland, Rutgers should be wins.
Michigan, Ohio State look like sure losses.

That puts us at 6-2 not including Pitt, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan State.

I struggled with how to categorize Minnesota and Indiana. Typically I'd expect to beat both each season, but with a new QB, continued OL concerns, etc. I'll split the difference and call the road game a toss-up.

There is a wide range of outcomes for PSU this season, IMO, but I'm optimistic that we can get to 8-4 seeing as how OSU, Iowa and MSU are at home. A 7-5 finish would get a "meh" response but wouldn't be shocking, while 6-6 would certainly heat up Franklin's seat. If things break exactly right, 9-3 is possible, but certainly not likely.

The Pitt game will be telling.
Dude in what world is MSU not a sure loss for PSU? Get real

Reactions: MikeR0102

In the world where past results don't always dictate the future.

MSU looks to me like it's poised to take a step back. I could see them being as bad as 8-4 this season; their losses go far beyond Connor Cook. If they fill all of their holes and look good early, or PSU gets blasted at Pitt, my outlook on the MSU game could change. But as of August 12, PSU has a chance to beat MSU at home in late November.

The same world that has Rutgers beating us.

I want to hear about preseason practice along the OL and DL. Starting to think the OL is going to be an issue yet again. If that is the case then 6-7 wins tops. If OL is average to above average then I might be able to homer up to 8 wins.

Pitt will beat state penn this year.
I've looked at both schedules a couple times and it's really not a stretch to see RU v state penn as a battle between two 5-5 teams.

Kent State: Strong Win
Pitt: Toss-Up
Temple: Lean Win
Michigan: Strong Loss
Minnesota: Lean Win
Maryland: Strong Win
Ohio State: Strong Loss
Purdue: Strong Win
Iowa: Toss Up
Indiana: Strong Win
Rutgers: Strong Win
MSU: Toss Up.

So that's 5-2 I'm comfortable with.
2 I'm leaning on winning (Temple/Minny)
3 toss ups

We always seem to have one WTF loss, so let's say that's one of the leaners. That puts us at 6-3 with Pitt/MSU/Iowa as the toss ups. 6 win floor, 9 win ceiling. Sounds about right for this squad.

Pitt should be a good, close game. Just comes down to how ready the wild dogs are to start the season. Tend to think we steal one of the big home games (Iowa/MSU/OSU), but I'll admit that there's a little kool aid in that prediction.

Kent State Golden Flashes - win

Sep. 10
pittsburgh1.gif
at Pittsburgh Panthers - loss
Sep. 17
temple1.gif
Temple Owls -win

Sep. 24 at Michigan Wolverines - loss

Oct. 1 Minnesota Golden Gophers - win
Oct. 8 Maryland Terrapins (HC) - win
Oct. 22 Ohio State Buckeyes - loss
Oct. 29 at Purdue Boilermakers - win
Nov. 5 Iowa Hawkeyes -win
Nov. 12 at Indiana Hoosiers - win
Nov. 19 at Rutgers Scarlet Knights - loss
Nov. 26 Michigan State Spartans - loss
If they finish 6-6, you your opinion, will Franklin keep his job?

The same world that has Rutgers beating us.

I want to hear about preseason practice along the OL and DL. Starting to think the OL is going to be an issue yet again. If that is the case then 6-7 wins tops. If OL is average to above average then I might be able to homer up to 8 wins.

I disagree. There's more of a chance Rutgers wins @ home v PSU then PSU wins @ home v MSU.

Although I think both are unlikely.

Dantonio is a 1,000x better coach. They have a better defense by far, not ever close actually. They have a better O-line. PSU has Barkley whose very good but MSU also has LJ Scott & Madre London so it's not a huge drop off.

Kent State: Strong Win
Pitt: Toss-Up
Temple: Lean Win
Michigan: Strong Loss
Minnesota: Lean Win
Maryland: Strong Win
Ohio State: Strong Loss
Purdue: Strong Win
Iowa: Toss Up
Indiana: Strong Win
Rutgers: Strong Win
MSU: Toss Up.

So that's 5-2 I'm comfortable with.
2 I'm leaning on winning (Temple/Minny)
3 toss ups

We always seem to have one WTF loss, so let's say that's one of the leaners. That puts us at 6-3 with Pitt/MSU/Iowa as the toss ups. 6 win floor, 9 win ceiling. Sounds about right for this squad.

Pitt should be a good, close game. Just comes down to how ready the wild dogs are to start the season. Tend to think we steal one of the big home games (Iowa/MSU/OSU), but I'll admit that there's a little kool aid in that prediction.

I guess you didn't watch BTN live at RU camp today? But yeah..@RU will be an easy win. Go with that. Please.

Reactions: MikeR0102
We need this thread here? F Pedd State. I hope the team's plane crashes. Into a stadium filled with their fans. Yeah that would be niiiiice.

Reactions: thegock
In the world where past results don't always dictate the future.

See, there's where you're mistaken. From reading these boards you should know that past results ARE EVERYTHING especially if they involved a loss.

Rutgers hasn't played LSU in about 100 years but if they did someone would say "well, they did beat us in 1920"

See, there's where you're mistaken. From reading these boards you should know that past results ARE EVERYTHING especially if they involved a loss.

Rutgers hasn't played LSU in about 100 years but if they did someone would say "well, they did beat us in 1920"

Well past results is why PSU fans think we will be an easy win without even knowing much about our team yet.

Reactions: knightfan7
I guess you didn't watch BTN live at RU camp today? But yeah..@RU will be an easy win. Go with that. Please.

We weren't kidding when we said 2014 was your last shot to knock us off. The talent differential is only growing, and Saquon is only bigger and faster than he was last year. I'm sorry, but it was an easy win last year and nothing Ive seen this year leads me to think it'll be any different this November.

We need this thread here? F Pedd State. I hope the team's plane crashes. Into a stadium filled with their fans. Yeah that would be niiiiice.

Total class I see. Weren't you one of the people who made the trip last year to Happy Valley? Thanks for the support.

We weren't kidding when we said 2014 was your last shot to knock us off. The talent differential is only growing, and Saquon is only bigger and faster than he was last year. I'm sorry, but it was an easy win last year and nothing Ive seen this year leads me to think it'll be any different this November.

Yes, a Kyle Flood coached Rutgers team playing their first season in the B1G was our best chance to knock you off. [eyeroll] And unless the '94 Lions squad is showing up in November, I don't think the talent differential is as big as you project it to be. You are not Ohio State. Now I'm not saying we win, but I think the game will closer resemble the '14 game than last year's when our program was in free fall. That's nice that Barkley is bigger and stronger. So is our entire defensive line.

Last edited:
Well past results is why PSU fans think we will be an easy win without even knowing much about our team yet.

I don't think that's true.
  • You have a QB controversy that is back from last season. Still a problem.
  • You have an undersized D-Line that gets absolutely mauled. To boot, you have at least one of your best DL who may not even play. Possibly two.
  • Your CBs are suspect.
  • Your OL is unproven. Lots of hype but Denman didn't look so hot when I saw him play last season.
  • You lost your best WR.
  • You may have good RBs but one of them can't stay on the field and the other is a scat back.
  • You lost your best LB.
Now, maybe I am wrong on half of the stuff I just posted but that's the feel I've gotten from reading here and also watching some of your games last year. I'd love to learn more about your team actually. All I know is that Penn State punished you last year in State College.

Reactions: miket007
  • You have an undersized D-Line that gets absolutely mauled. To boot, you have at least one of your best DL who may not even play. Possibly two.
  • Your CBs are suspect.
  • Your OL is unproven. Lots of hype but Denman didn't look so hot when I saw him play last season.
  • You lost your best WR.
  • You may have good RBs but one of them can't stay on the field and the other is a scat back.
  • You lost your best LB.
Now, maybe I am wrong on half of the stuff I just posted but that's the feel I've gotten from reading here and also watching some of your games last year. I'd love to learn more about your team actually. All I know is that Penn State punished you last year in State College.

Agreed. They lost like...all of their LBs. From a team that was gashed up and down the field. And OL will only improve with the new guys Franklins been bringing in.

• Your CBs are suspect.
  • You lost your best WR.
  • You lost your best LB.

Well...
There's no QB "controversy". There's a QB competition and the starter from last year is being pushed by a Texas boy who played in a spread in HS and at TCU.
Our DL is no longer undersized. In fact the Big Ten Road crew commented how big and physical we look across both lines.
Denman has been passed on the depth chart.
Our CB's are young but have a year under their belt and are finally being coached up.
Yes LB's and WR's are question marks but our ground game will be much better.

Again, I'm not saying we beat PSU but you are in for a surprise if you think we will be an easy out in our building. PSU lost 3/4 of their starting DL while we have 3 5th year seniors starting along our DL. Grown ass men playing. also, I don't think you guys can comprehend how much of a joke our last coaching staff was. It was as if Maine, Columbia and Delaware had an abortion and our staff was put together out of the remains.

Last edited:
  • Your CBs are suspect.
  • You lost your best WR.
  • You lost your best LB.

I disagree with undersized DL. NT is 300+ and Hamilton is 285, who should play. But I get the point.

I'm confused about your RB point? Martin and hicks have been healthy ever since they've been here.

Well...
There's no QB "controversy". There's a QB competition and the starter from last year is being pushed by a Texas boy who played in a spread in HS and at TCU.
Our DL is no longer undersized. In fact the Big Ten Road crew commented how big and physical we look across both lines.
Denman has been passed on the depth chart.
Our CB's are young but have a year under their belt and are finally being coached up.
Yes LB's and WR's are question marks but our ground game will be much better.

Again, I'm not saying we beat PSU but you are in for a surprise if you think we will be an easy out in our building. PSU lost 3/4 of their starting DL while we have 3 5th year seniors starting along our DL. Grown ass men.

Thanks for the input.

• So is Rettig basically all hype? Have to guess that is the case.
  • Don't know if I can agree with your DL comment. Is Hamilton still your NT?
  • Sour grapes on my part regarding Denman. Oh well.
  • So are CBs still a concern? Our OL was young once too but as they got older they didn't get better. I have personally learned that aging with experience doesn't equal improvement.
Yeah, I'm concerned about our DL. That being said, is your OL really going to be a strength? Wasn't is a weakness last season?

I disagree with undersized DL. NT is 300+ and Hamilton is 285, who should play. But I get the point.

I'm confused about your RB point? Martin and hicks have been healthy ever since they've been here.

Who is the kid who blew out his knee? I think some had him in the Heisman running after Washington and Howard and then he got injured.

Agreed. They lost like...all of their LBs. From a team that was gashed up and down the field. And OL will only improve with the new guys Franklins been bringing in.

I agree about OL eventually but the fact that a true FR and a RS FR are pushing two year starters along the OL is a concern. I'm not sure if the OL is going to be much improved this year. I'll wait for Nate to weigh in as I got burned last year expecting improvement as well as a contribution from Reihner (LOL).

Well we've gone to a power spread from the gun and ditched the pro set O. So there will be a lot of read option and Rettig is more of a pocket guy.

The interior of our OL will be really strong. RG Muller and C Nelson are fifth-year seniors and LG Dorian Miller is tough. We are young but big and athletic at both tackles. This new scheme suits our OL personnel better than Flood's 1990's power run game played in a phone booth. Hamilton is not the nose...he's the 3T and he's up to 285. NT is Sebastian Joseph from east Stroudsburg and he's 300 lbs.

And I think our schemes on D will be severely upgraded. Yes our LBers are a huge question mark. But in the cover 4 shell with man on the outside it should free them up somewhat. But you are right corners have a lot to prove although I think Austin has a chance to be real good eventually. But lack of depth at CB could hurt. We will be much better at safety then we've been the past three years.

Last edited:
Reactions: kjb32812
I can't wait to watch their board explode after their second straight blowout loss to Temple.

Penn state will beat msu at home imo. I also believe they beat temple. I would be surprised but not shocked if they lose to Pitt. I think RU may be able to pull off a late season night game upset but the cards will have to fall right.

Reactions: RUfaninMIA
Thanks.

How is Seymour coming along?

He's a physical specimen but barring injury he likely won't see the field this year. He's probably the 6th DT at the moment and I wouldn't anticipate the rotation going any more than 5 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT