ADVERTISEMENT

Quinerly in portal

I'm going to give a scenario. Youre in the 50s and you meet someone at a bbq and you get talking about their lives:

Person A: got a post-grade business degree, went to work in real estate and made a lot of money

Person B: was a division 1 athlete, played in the Final 4. then went on to play 10 years of professional basketball in China, Spain, Croatia, and Argentina. After retiring in his mid 30s, finished his degree and now makes a productive living doing x.

which person's life do you find more interesting and unique ?

which person's life do you find really intriguing? which person do you ask a bunch of questions about their unique life experiences?

...and which person do you excuse yourself as quickly as possible making an excuse about needing more ice for your drink

I think the choice is obvious
Well done. That's a really good and interesting way to put it.

I'm going to give a scenario. Youre in your 50s and you meet two people at a bbq and you get talking about their lives:

Person A: got a post-grade business degree, went to work in real estate and made a lot of money

Person B: was a division 1 athlete, played in the Final 4. then went on to play 10 years of professional basketball in China, Spain, Croatia, and Argentina. After retiring in his mid 30s, finished his degree and now makes a productive living doing x.

which person's life do you find more interesting and unique ?

which person's life do you find really intriguing? which person do you ask a bunch of questions about their unique life experiences?

...and which person do you excuse yourself as quickly as possible making an excuse about needing more ice for your drink

I think the choice is obvious
This is the old saying reworked of “people buy things they dont need to impress people they dont like”.

If those are the examples, person A probably traveled and experienced more than person B. As person A was traveling to experience culture and geography, person B was traveling to dribble a basketball.

I think youre not aware of where these guys play in europe lol.

They play in gyms smaller than HS gyms with crowds smaller than HS crowds. They dont have the money to even experience the rinky dink cities theyre in. They all come home once the season ends too. Youre not in touch on this one and thats okay.

What functional actionable value comes from the convo with person B?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the old saying reworked of “people buy things they dont need to impress people they dont like”.

If those are the examples, person A probably traveled and experienced more than person B. As person A was traveling to experience culture and geography, person B was traveling to dribble a basketball.

I think youre not aware of where these guys play in europe lol. They play in gyms smaller than HS gyms with crowds smaller than HS crowds. They dont have the money to even experience the rinky dink cities theyre in. They all come home once the season ends too. Youre not in touch on this one and thats okay.
Shell out the $600 for the Top Golf thing and talk to TJ Thompson about playing in Europe.
Not sure why you think what you wrote, it's weird.

Shell out the $600 for the Top Golf thing and talk to TJ Thompson about playing in Europe.
Not sure why you think what you wrote, it's weird.
I play in multiple summer leagues with guys who play/played euro ball. Theyre the ones who tell me these things. The guy who runs the league places his guys in europe who wanna continue playing. He speaks even worse of euroball haha

I play in multiple summer leagues with guys who play/played euro ball. Theyre the ones who tell me these things. The guy who runs the league places his guys in europe who wanna continue playing. He speaks even worse of euroball haha
He must place only the low level guys, Turkey, Greece, Italy - not at all like what you describe
Even mid-level countries are a good quality of life for most American players
There are shit clubs for sure - prob nearly every country
And there are Americans who play in lower levels - is that who your guy places? I guess I could see that fitting your description.
Why would you think teams are only in "rinky dink" cities? The biggest cities get the teams for the most part - if you're talking a step or two down from the top levels, maybe that's why?

Reactions: MADHAT1
Oh I do what I love. Im walking on the beach in Bay Head right now before heading north to give an investment seminar at 1pm haha. Working full-time since I was 22 being a productive member of society and building a real estate investment portfolio has allowed me to do what I want when I want.

These kids going off to europe for 5 years ends their brand. They should be taking advantage of their name recognition while its still hot and going into some form of business asap.

I drop the truth. Some cant handle it
Doing what you love? You mean spending all day on message boards and Twitter calling people idiots 😂. Huge incel energy my guy.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Dude - come on. You sound ridiculous on this. Not everyone can just go into corporate America and make $400k plus. Your acting like that would be the likely alternative when only some tiny percent of the general population attain anything close to that (I don’t care where you or anyone else on this forum are at financially).

These guys have a skill and a large percentage of them go on to earn adequate livings through basketball - AAU coaches / trainers may not be in your income bracket but many of the ones in the top NJ programs do pretty well. Even if they are paid peanuts for the coaching - many of them are booked solid on the privates. Having a resume with playing experience is what gets them those jobs. Parents pick the trainers who had successful playing careers - especially ones that went pro. May not even be correlated to who is good at the training - I’m just telling you from experience - that’s how it works.

And yet you found time in your full life to brag to strangers about your money.

🙏🏻 thank you 🙏🏻
Only after he was called a db with no perspective. What did you expect? That said, do what you have a passion for as long as you can, then think about the things that others deem important.

I think youre not aware of where these guys play in europe lol.

They play in gyms smaller than HS gyms with crowds smaller than HS crowds. They dont have the money to even experience the rinky dink cities theyre in. They all come home once the season ends too. Youre not in touch on this one and thats okay.

What functional actionable value comes from the convo with person B?
Coached a D2 kid over 20 years ago who went on to make $85,000 a year overseas. At the time it was the equivalent to much more than here. He was living like a king. It all depends where you are playing overseas.

Anyone telling quinerly to turn down 300k-ish this year to join the workforce isn’t good with money. That’s fairly obvious. He will also make good money overseas and not playing summer league with real estate agents lol.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Only after he was called a db with no perspective. What did you expect? That said, do what you have a passion for as long as you can, then think about the things that others deem important.

no. we was called a db with no perspective BECAUSE he bragged about $ (and showed no perspective).

perhaps you missed his gem of a first post in this thread:

To get ahead in life? Haha. Not complicated. By the time I was 25 I was 3 years out of college and making over $400,000/yr after being 22 fresh out of college and barely touching $100K 3 years prior.

Whats even worse? These idiot kids who then go off to europe to play for peanuts, stay in europe dribbling a basketball until theyre in their 30’s, make so little money that they cant even save anything, come back to the US with ZERO employable skills and wind having to work low skill low paying jobs living paycheck to paycheck the rest of their lives. Same goes for the football guys chasing xfl and usfl. Stop, go build a legitimate career

That said, if making money makes him happy. Good for him. His mistake is not that he is doing well financially (or so he says), his mistake is thinking thats how everyone should measure happiness/ success. and thats how he lacks perpective.

Last edited:
I still don’t understand why people engage with kyk. I’m convinced he spends half his day laughing at people’s replies to his outrageous stuff.

Guilty. I havent interacted with him much (at all?) so I was unaware of his schtick.

but even in this, my initial(?), interaction with him I was questioning whether this guy is for real or if he's just got this fake online-Gordon Gekko-like-personna that he's trolling us with.

I still don’t understand why people engage with kyk. I’m convinced he spends half his day laughing at people’s replies to his outrageous stuff.

Especially funny that he referenced playing summer league against guys who couldn't make it in Europe. LoL and Duh....joke's on us. Why would a guy spending his time playing against a 5'7" real estate agent be able to make is as a professional baller in any country?

And often folks with money, if you believe them in the first place, started out with money or at least had a huge safety net.

Especially funny that he referenced playing summer league against guys who couldn't make it in Europe. LoL and Duh....joke's on us. Why would a guy spending his time playing against a 5'7" real estate agent be able to make is as a professional baller in any country?
Hey man those former Montclair state guards totally compare to quinerly who was the sec tournament mvp 2 years ago

Reactions: biazza38
no. we was called a db with no perspective BECAUSE he bragged about $ (and showed no perspective).

To get ahead in life? Haha. Not complicated. By the time I was 25 I was 3 years out of college and making over $400,000/yr after being 22 fresh out of college and barely touching $100K 3 years prior.

Whats even worse? These idiot kids who then go off to europe to play for peanuts, stay in europe dribbling a basketball until theyre in their 30’s, make so little money that they cant even save anything, come back to the US with ZERO employable skills and wind having to work low skill low paying jobs living paycheck to paycheck the rest of their lives. Same goes for the football guys chasing xfl and usfl. Stop, go build a legitimate career

That said, if making money makes him happy. Good for him. His mistake is not that he is doing well financially (or so he says), his mistake is thinking thats how everyone should measure happiness/ success. and thats how he lacks perpective.

Weird with all of that money, he couldnt honor his bet with @Caliknight

He must place only the low level guys, Turkey, Greece, Italy - not at all like what you describe
Even mid-level countries are a good quality of life for most American players
There are shit clubs for sure - prob nearly every country
And there are Americans who play in lower levels - is that who your guy places? I guess I could see that fitting your description.
Why would you think teams are only in "rinky dink" cities? The biggest cities get the teams for the most part - if you're talking a step or two down from the top levels, maybe that's why?
Well over 90% of the guys who go play euro ball play in shit gyms, living in dorms and play in rinky dink cities. Look at where our guys under pike have played in europe.

• Haha
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Dude - come on. You sound ridiculous on this. Not everyone can just go into corporate America and make $400k plus. Your acting like that would be the likely alternative when only some tiny percent of the general population attain anything close to that (I don’t care where you or anyone else on this forum are at financially).

These guys have a skill and a large percentage of them go on to earn adequate livings through basketball - AAU coaches / trainers may not be in your income bracket but many of the ones in the top NJ programs do pretty well. Even if they are paid peanuts for the coaching - many of them are booked solid on the privates. Having a resume with playing experience is what gets them those jobs. Parents pick the trainers who had successful playing careers - especially ones that went pro. May not even be correlated to who is good at the training - I’m just telling you from experience - that’s how it works.
I do think if they went to work at 22, theyd be making 6-figures with an upward career earnings trajectory by the time theyre 25. These kids hurt themselves dribbling a bball playing for pennies

Trust me i dont measure success by $, youre talking to the wrong guy. I drive a ford escape and live in a studio/loft for the past 8 years.

$ makes things easier though. And these kids are better serves started real careers than making peanuts dribbling in high school gyms in (enter name of town/city youve never heard of) europe.

You are just continually losing here with these takes.

Youd be surprised how many leagues these kids play in. Ive played with JQ, luther muhammad and lou king. Open runs in north jersey have everyone.

The L’s continue to pile up here

And often folks with money, if you believe them in the first place, started out with money or at least had a huge safety net.
Factually not true. Another large L. This thread is getting ugly https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/articles/7-myths-about-millionaires

“A 2017 survey from Fidelity Investments found that 88 percent of millionaires are self-made. Only 12 percent inherited significant money (at least 10 percent of their wealth), and most did not grow up in exclusive country club neighborhoods. The majority of millionaires went to college and are married or partnered.”

Youd be surprised how many leagues these kids play in. Ive played with JQ, luther muhammad and lou king. Open runs in north jersey have everyone.

The L’s continue to pile up here
Does L stand for Lack of self-awareness? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reactions: Ru7580
Factually not true. Another large L. This thread is getting ugly https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/articles/7-myths-about-millionaires

“A 2017 survey from Fidelity Investments found that 88 percent of millionaires are self-made. Only 12 percent inherited significant money (at least 10 percent of their wealth), and most did not grow up in exclusive country club neighborhoods. The majority of millionaires went to college and are married or partnered.”
Net assets over $1m defines a millionaire. Pay off you house and have any kind of retirement account and you would be a millionaire in NJ. Doesnt mean you have "money".

Trust me i dont measure success by $, youre talking to the wrong guy. I drive a ford escape and live in a studio/loft for the past 8 years.

$ makes things easier though. And these kids are better serves started real careers than making peanuts dribbling in high school gyms in (enter name of town/city youve never heard of) europe.

You are just continually losing here with these takes.

you continue to not get it (or dont want to 'cuase you like to argue)

(1) as has been pointed out - suggesting that all leagues outside of the US are played in high school gyms is ridiculously ignorant.

(2) considering that there are various leagues outside of the US played in legit. arenas, with real fans and they can at least make ends meet (some make huge $$) playing the sport they love = that sounds like a fantastic way to spend your 20s!!!

you dont get it. I hope for your sake that you do some day.

btw, all the comments and thumbs up are going my way so not sure what youre talking about re: me "losing".

and even if I was "losing" I have the maturity and perspective to not give a crap about what a bunch of strangers on a message board think of me. whereas you clearly do care what people think as evidenced by your posts (attempting to show how full your life is despite your vapid posts).

Last edited:
you continue to not get it (or dont want to 'cuase you like to argue)

(1) as has been pointed out - suggesting that all leagues outside of the US are played in high school gyms is ridiculously ignorant. large majority are. Probably around 90%

(2) considering that there are various leagues outside of the US played in legit. arenas, with real fans and they can at least make ends meet (some make huge $$) playing the sport they love = that sounds like a fantastic way to spend your 20s!!! less than 10% of all players who play euro ball will end their careers with even $100K in the bank

you dont get it. I hope for your sake that you do some day.

btw, all the comments and thumbs up are going my way so not sure what youre talking about re: me "losing".

and even if I was "losing" I have the maturity and perspective to not give a crap about what a bunch of strangers on a message board think of me. whereas you clearly do care what people think as evidenced by your posts (attempting to show how full your life is despite your vapid posts).
See bolded above. You're out of touch on this one and that's okay

See bolded above. You're out of touch on this one and that's okay

Whatever you say

Even if you’re right it’s irrelevant to the point - a guy spending his 20s living paycheck to paycheck playing in small gyms in Europe is hardly wasting his life if he loves what he is doing

You probably think the above is a cliche

I know it’s wisdom

If you truly believe what you type then you won’t get it until you do

Or you’re a troll who just likes to argue

Either way I’m done with you

Last edited:

Millionaires are a dime a dozen these days. Anyone who owns a house in NJ without a mortgage and even a modest 401K account belongs to the club.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT