ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Commits

mikebal9

All American
Oct 15, 2005
Bound Brook
I know that I'll get chewed up and spit out for this, but someone has to say it, and I would never dishonor a kid in his commitment thread, so I made a separate thread.
When Ash was here, he got absolutely killed on this board for winning recruits over schools like Akron, Miami (OH), the sevice academies, and the Ivies. Now that Schiano is doing the same thing, I see almost exclusively "Great get" type comments in the threads. Now, maybe everyone in these threads has a better eye for talent than I do and they can see a difference. But looking strictly at offer lists (Only because that's what you all did with Ash), I see no difference at all between his recruits and several of Schiano's. Can someone set me straight?

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a year 1 comparison for this time of year for Schiano and Ash. I'm pretty sure that Ash didn't have a top 20 class his first year in late May. Year 1 it's easier to recruit based on a coach's vision. In year 2 coaches still try to blame losses on their predecessor. Coaches own year 3, whether they want it or not. If there is no progress on the field it's tough to sell recruits at that point.

Schiano also has a history of developing players at Rutgers. People are willing to let him go to work because we've seen him do it before.

I know that I'll get chewed up and spit out for this, but someone has to say it, and I would never dishonor a kid in his commitment thread, so I made a separate thread.
When Ash was here, he got absolutely killed on this board for winning recruits over schools like Akron, Miami (OH), the sevice academies, and the Ivies. Now that Schiano is doing the same thing, I see almost exclusively "Great get" type comments in the threads. Now, maybe everyone in these threads has a better eye for talent than I do and they can see a difference. But looking strictly at offer lists (Only because that's what you all did with Ash), I see no difference at all between his recruits and several of Schiano's. Can someone set me straight?
Look at the overall class. Many high 3 stars, some of which should turn into 4 stars. Thing to remember is Schiano is the master of finding the diamond in the rough. I will take a smart hard working 2 star any day of the week to fill out the class.

Reactions: patk89 and beaced
Many 2 star and low 3 star kids bust at this level. Quite a few blossom. Schiano has a great record for finding and developing underrated kids. So does Pike for that matter. Ash had no reputation one way or the other until he made his reuputation here with dismal recruiting and lots of reaches that didn't pan out.

Another key difference is that Schiano is taking these kids from a position of strength. With a raft of highly recruited early commits, dwindling number of scholarships, and lots of other average P5 kids still having interest, if GS takes a 2 star kid it's because GS likes that kid and thinks he sees something others don't, not because he struck out on all the other options and this is all that's left.

This class is good so far. They have done a great job, with that said you are right. People want to act like schiano doesnt miss on prospects, like he's gonna turn every 2 star player into a NFL draft pick.

Many 2 star and low 3 star kids bust at this level. Quite a few blossom. Schiano has a great record for finding and developing underrated kids. So does Pike for that matter. Ash had no reputation one way or the other until he made his reuputation here with dismal recruiting and lots of reaches that didn't pan out.

Another key difference is that Schiano is taking these kids from a position of strength. With a raft of highly recruited early commits, dwindling number of scholarships, and lots of other average P5 kids still having interest, if GS takes a 2 star kid it's because GS likes that kid and thinks he sees something others don't, not because he struck out on all the other options and this is all that's left.
I agree with everything you said but also keep in mind that he did that in a water down big east. Not going to get everyone in NJ so we do have to take chances on kids like this. Low risk, high reward type players.

It's been interesting to note that there have been 10 top target on the home page, all showing as 100% RU except for the last one, who shows as 100% Wisconsin. Our last three recruits were not among them but each appeared in the first position on that page, literally hours before committing. It just seems to be a pattern.

When earlier today, there was an article about Tahjamell Bullock, who has been further back among the 10 for weeks, he moved up to the first spot, then was bumped into the second spot with the new commit, who literally seems to have come out of no where.

I think some of our frustration has to do with what seems to be an extraordinarily long wait for the decisions by our top targets.

Perhaps there's another explanation for the composition of the 10 who have appeared on the home page for a long while?

In any event, like everyone here, I wish our new recruits the best of luck for a fulfilling academic and athletic career at Rutgers.

2017 our final ranking was 43. That was as good as it got (2018=58th, 2019=53rd). Will be interested to see where this class finishes.

I'm guessing we'll finish better than 43, and I've seen Greg develop under recruited guys into NFL players.

2017 our final ranking was 43. That was as good as it got (2018=58th, 2019=53rd). Will be interested to see where this class finishes.

I'm guessing we'll finish better than 43, and I've seen Greg develop under recruited guys into NFL players.
I’d rather he develop a college team with better results with the Ws than just the individual players.

Saturday > Sunday

Its a fair question. For me I think it is a couple things .
1) The talent of the transfers gives me a feeling he is really nailing the one's he wants
2) The fact that many of them are coming from his relationships he has built.
3) his tract record for coaching up.
4) Ash couldn't get a D Lineman. Greg got 5?

But from an offer list POV..I get your point.
for the record, I (don't think) I haven't responded to a single non-transfer/4 star get with anything more than a Welcome. But I am excited by his work so far.

Some here are reframing my argument in a way that wasn't intended I am specifically talking about recruits who have few or no Power 5 offers, yet people give them a pass because it's GS. I know the class, as a whole, is better. That wasn't my point. Why is there no outcry when we beat Akrom ,William and Mary, or Army for kids this year? That's all I'm asking.

Now Desmond Igbinosun is in the first position on the home page. He's been among the ten there for several weeks. It will be interesting to see if he's the next commit.

Its a fair question. For me I think it is a couple things .
1) The talent of the transfers gives me a feeling he is really nailing the one's he wants
2) The fact that many of them are coming from his relationships he has built.
3) his tract record for coaching up.
4) Ash couldn't get a D Lineman. Greg got 5?

But from an offer list POV..I get your point.
for the record, I (don't think) I haven't responded to a single non-transfer/4 star get with anything more than a Welcome. But I am excited by his work so far.
Thank you. This is a fair response. #2 worries me a bit. Taking kids from his kids' school could be a bit of a reach, but his personal relationship may sway him. Obviously I'm probably wrong about that, but it's a concern.

Ash couldn't recruit
Ash couldn't develop
Ash couldn't coach
Ash couldn't lead
Ash couldn't win
Ash never had good relationships with nj pehrocials
Ash never had good relationships with nj public h.schools
Ash couldn't find Florida with a map and a Disney pass
Ash never brought in any recruits from anywhere

spare me with the comparisons

Ash couldn't recruit
Ash couldn't develop
Ash couldn't coach
Ash couldn't lead
Ash couldn't win
Ash never had good relationships with nj pehrocials
Ash never had good relationships with nj public h.schools
Ash couldn't find Florida with a map and a Disney pass
Ash never brought in any recruits from anywhere

spare me with the comparisons
I agree with everything you're saying, and not one of the things you said answers my question, or is really even relevant to the discussion.

Reactions: Rokodesh
At the end of the day it comes down to player development once they are in the program unless you are trying to compete for a national championship like OSU, Alabama, etc. and are recruiting 4 and 5 star athletes at every position. Unless you are an elite program you are competing for the same 2 and 3 star kids as every body else in both the FBS and FCS. I have faith that this staff can locate and sign the kids they think they can successfully develop as opposed to the Ash staff. Fran Brown had an excellent track record at Temple and Baylor, I see no reason to believe that will not continue at Rutgers.

Thank you. This is a fair response. #2 worries me a bit. Taking kids from his kids' school could be a bit of a reach, but his personal relationship may sway him. Obviously I'm probably wrong about that, but it's a concern.

#2 should make you happy not worry you a bit. There is an old saying: "When you need a friend it is too late to make one" all relationships are important. You should be glad our Coach has them.

#2 should make you happy not worry you a bit. There is an old saying: "When you need a friend it is too late to make one" all relationships are important. You should be glad our Coach has them.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm glad he has relationships. I jsut think these are personal relationships, and taking a 2 star with whom you have a personal relationship might be seen as more of a favor or being blinded by your personal love for the kid or his family. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I agree with everything you're saying, and not one of the things you said answers my question, or is really even relevant to the discussion.

Besides the fact that you have transfers coming from big time programs - which you may or may not consider "recruits" in your argument, there's absolutely no question GS has proven to have a MUCH better eye for talent.

It's early - but the actual rating of this class is way higher than Ash's first year class was.

And even if they were the same (and they are not) it's like giving the same ingredients to two people and asking them to make a cake. Who would you choose to bake a cake Giada De Laurentiis or Chris Ash? Not even close.........

Reactions: KevH

Ratings at Rivals have always been wonky. A lot of recruits didn't get to go to camps or 7v7 competitions to be seen this year.

We been told on the pay side a couple of RU commits deserve an upgraded rating but when the recent updates came out barely any were made. Reason given - no new information for the analysts to change them.

So take ratings with a grain of salt right now. I never use Rivals ratings as my primary source anyway. I prefer the TOS composite ratings since it's supposed to represent the whole industry.

Besides the fact that you have transfers coming from big time programs - which you may or may not consider "recruits" in your argument, there's absolutely no question GS has proven to have a MUCH better eye for talent.

It's early - but the actual rating of this class is way higher than Ash's first year class was.

And even if they were the same (and they are not) it's like giving the same ingredients to two people and asking them to make a cake. Who would you choose to bake a cake Giada De Laurentiis or Chris Ash? Not even close.........
And again, this is not my question.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

5 star kids were locked up long before GS signed or they were chosing between a few blue-bloods. You argument implies picking-up recruits is like going to Walmart and picking out what you want. The strength of getting these guys who are 2.668 instead of 2.113 is huge right now

Ash would have gotten roasted over the coals for the Dean commit.

Reactions: JawnSzn
I'd be interested in a year 1 comparison for this time of year for Schiano and Ash. I'm pretty sure that Ash didn't have a top 20 class his first year in late May. Year 1 it's easier to recruit based on a coach's vision. In year 2 coaches still try to blame losses on their predecessor. Coaches own year 3, whether they want it or not. If there is no progress on the field it's tough to sell recruits at that point.

Schiano also has a history of developing players at Rutgers. People are willing to let him go to work because we've seen him do it before.

Ash had three four star recruits in year one. Schiano currently has zero.

Schiano is nowhere near an actual top 20 class.

Reactions: JawnSzn
Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm glad he has relationships. I jsut think these are personal relationships, and taking a 2 star with whom you have a personal relationship might be seen as more of a favor or being blinded by your personal love for the kid or his family. Again, I hope I'm wrong.
The answer is to look at the track record of those doing the recruiting. Within the collegiate ranks Fran Brown is considered one of the best recruiters in the business, that is undisputed. Fran's recruiting helped turn around both the Temple and Baylor programs, you have to believe he knows what he is doing and will find the right talent to develop for this program.

The answer is to look at the track record of those doing the recruiting. Within the collegiate ranks Fran Brown is considered one of the best recruiters in the business, that is undisputed. Fran's recruiting helped turn around both the Temple and Baylor programs, you have to believe he knows what he is doing and will find the right talent to develop for this program.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I am just looking at individual threads of lightly recruited kids where posters are saying that it's a great get and GS really killed it. I get that he and FB are upgrades over what we had in general. I get that as a whole, the class is better. I want to know what people know about these specific recruits that other p5 schools don't know.

5 star kids were locked up long before GS signed or they were chosing between a few blue-bloods. You argument implies picking-up recruits is like going to Walmart and picking out what you want. The strength of getting these guys who are 2.668 instead of 2.113 is huge right now

Your reply has nothing to do with what I said. Read it again.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I am just looking at individual threads of lightly recruited kids where posters are saying that it's a great get and GS really killed it. I get that he and FB are upgrades over what we had in general. I get that as a whole, the class is better. I want to know what people know about these specific recruits that other p5 schools don't know.
Nobody on this board is going to be able to answer those questions for you. You would have to sit down with Fran and Greg and go through the film and their interactions with the kids and their coaches to understand why they targeted one 2 or 3 star kid over another. All we can do as fans is look at their track records and hope they continue to pick the right recruits. I don't get involved with these recruiting threads comparing one kid to another, because we don't know the details.

I agree with everything you said but also keep in mind that he did that in a water down big east. Not going to get everyone in NJ so we do have to take chances on kids like this. Low risk, high reward type players.

It doesn't matter that it was a "watered down Big East" IMO. MANY of the under recruited kids Greg brought and developed became successful NFL players. Shows that talent is talent.

Reactions: gtbb3115 and patk89
This last recruit has me a little concerned but not a lot. I don't like the reaches from out of state. I like the one's from in state. Because usually there's a good long standing relationship with the coach who will give the home state coach the inside track or hint on certain kids. Case in point Fiore basically slapped Flood in the head about Josh Allen and the son of a bitch still passed on him.

But the "not a lot" comes from the fact that this is the school Schiano's kid went to so there's a relationship there. This was a Frazier recruit also, he's not been very active this year nor in quite a while. So his talent evaluations need to be taken with a grain of salt till proven wrong.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT