ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers set to head to Spain

Are they playing exhibition games? Any chance they will be on TV?

I believe teams are limited to three games on trips like these. As far as I can tell Michigan's three games in Spain last off-season were not aired anywhere (tv or streaming) so I'd be shocked if Rutgers games are.

I believe teams are limited to three games on trips like these. As far as I can tell Michigan's three games in Spain last off-season were not aired anywhere (tv or streaming) so I'd be shocked if Rutgers games are.

You’re telling me they can only play 3 games on an ELEVEN DAY TRIP? That doesn’t seem correct.

You’re telling me they can only play 3 games on an ELEVEN DAY TRIP? That doesn’t seem correct.

Duke played 3 in Canada. Michigan played 3 in Spain.

Oh, Kentucky played 4 in the Bahamas last year. But 3 really seems to be the norm.

Thanks I didn't think so but was hoping...

Im assuming we cant play MSU while in spain right?

Surprised by this. But the trip will be hugely worthwhile for developing chemistry with the new players.

I know in the past that players who were not on the team the previous year were not able to participate in the overseas trips. I don't know if that is still the case.

How many were you expecting?

During the regular season teams typically play three, sometimes four, games during an 11-game span.

Games + practices + organized tours of the area and return home. Just hope that no one gets injured or starts an international incident over something stupid like sunglasses.

How many were you expecting?

During the regular season teams typically play three, sometimes four, games during an 11-game span.

Games + practices + organized tours of the area and return home. Just hope that no one gets injured or starts an international incident over something stupid like sunglasses.

Speaking of sunglasses, whatever happened to Lavar Ball? When last we heard, he wanted all three of his kids to play for Phoenix, and then the news about him being scammed by his Big Baller partner came out. Wonder if wearing Big Baller shoes contributed to Lonzo's injury problems. Would love to see what he can do if he can play for an extended stretch without going down. He has good court awareness, and looks like he will develop.
TL

Trips like this not only help team chemistry, but due to the extra practice time, the coaches are able to install more of their offense, defense and in-bounds. You could be seeing the February offense in December.

Trips like this not only help team chemistry, but due to the extra practice time, the coaches are able to install more of their offense, defense and in-bounds. You could be seeing the February offense in December.

That’s a very good perspective. And, I think the timing is perfect. This wouldn’t be nearly as productive if done in one of the previous seasons. Kudos to Pike and Staff!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It's the extra practice time that is invaluable. It's very rare that the teams you play on trips like this are even close to the level of Big Ten competition. The practices are where the most improvement is made

I would think the quality of club basketball teams in Spain are pretty good considering that a bunch of players play professionally there and many of those players wind up playing in the NBA (I.e. Porzingis, Doncic). There is good to high level talent there so it should be a great team bond experience and they will get some good runs in.

GO RU

I was also told there would be 4 or 5 games but I wish fans were allowed. I know many schools have allowed fans to attend but I guess RU didn't want that to happen.

Curious to hear how the new guys perform and how they blend with the returning players.

Hope we get regular reports and maybe some video highlights. Timing is good as it breaks up the otherwise 6-month wait for the start of the season.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Two months to get the 12th player (grad transfer) before the Spain trip....get him here in late June or July and let him bond with his new teammates overseas.

Roll over 1 for 4 open spots in 2020.

Reactions: satnom and Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT