ADVERTISEMENT

Schools closing early for heat..lol

really the only time anyone wore shorts to school back in the 70s and 80s was when it was going to be 85 plus...now kids were them in April when its in the 60s right through the end of the year.
times have changed, and shorts have changed. Please don't run for the local board of education.
shopping
shopping

you also effed up social security and the housing market so a lot of good toughing out a sweltering school day did for this country. Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Next you're going to tell me you didn't wear seat belts and used to follow behind the mosquito truck.

I'm in my 50's and not sure how I messed up the housing market. A bunch of people now in their late 30's early 40's kind of screwed it up.
Social Security, sure as shit have paid the max almost every single year over the past 25 and have been paying my share since 17. Not seeing any of it yet.
No, we didn't wear seat belts but I sure as hell have after bitching for the first year about it "what if my belt is stuck and I'm unconscious after I drive my car into a lake" lol Misquote trucks, a way of life my friend. Sonic booms, being in the sun all day with no clue what sun block was. Hell, I remember being so excited when my Dad brought home this thing called an air conditioner, but it wasn't, it was a damn metal box you filled with ice and it had a fan to blow the cold air.

And none of that makes me better than the next person, it's just the way it was. Your claim how we ruined it is a bit fuxed up and misguided...

Reactions: cicero grimes
The posters on this board are extremely diverse in terms of age, income, net worth, education, race, religion, political persuasion, weather preference, background, etc. This inevitably leads to these threads where one poster or cohort group reviles another with extreme disdain. I don't know why posters participate and seemingly enjoy this except for the sport of sparring. I wish the football season were year-around so the debates/discussions could be more focused on football.

Agree - never had AC in elementary, middle, and high school (attended 70s through mid 80s) and was never closed for it being too hot. In fact they used to have summer enrichment programs through July and those were never cancelled either. It's really ridiculous these days.

Your lying. You know we had ac and a pool, lol. I actually saw one of our old classmates the other day from JFK. Hadn't seen her in 20 years.

Reactions: MoobyCow
What I noticed is that they are starting to have 4 days off for a holiday quite a few times. There are so many religion holidays now and maybe why they have a full week off. Never had that back in the 60's.

Hell,in Harrison boys had to wear jackets and ties regardless of the weather.The Mayor could get away with it because if you ran against him,he'd run you out of town after the election.He "served" 47 years in the job,doing a job on the taxpayers in the process.

Reactions: Local Shill
Your lying. You know we had ac and a pool, lol. I actually saw one of our old classmates the other day from JFK. Hadn't seen her in 20 years.

Oh yeah, that pool on the 3rd floor! :smiley: The summer before we moved I ran into someone as well at my daughters little league softball game.....made me feel old! Did the reunion ever materialize last year?

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/35640873/classes-canceled-at-some-nj-schools-due-to-excessive-heat

are we coddling these kids. We all experienced hot days at school where some rooms had air and some did not. It was low to mid 90s with relative okay humidity today, garden variety heat...are we teaching these kids that there is no reason to suffer...when you grow up you can stay home from work because its too hot. This has to be a recent phenomenon of closing schools for heat..what gives?
Do you also still believe that withholding water makes football players tougher? This is the same mentality in my opinion.

First of all not all schools are equipped with air conditioning. Sure they could still have classes but it going to be pointless. You try getting a class of kids who are in miserable to focus when they are hot and miserable.

Secondly many schools who do have air conditioning it is often not sufficient to cool the entire building in these record temps. Also most were not designed to handle the additional heat load of not only the outside heat but combine that with electronic heat. When I taught I had an interior room that had no windows. On a day like this the room would be inhabitable.

Finally many schools due to being closed during summer participate in an energy shut off program. In exchange for for grants from the electric company. The agreement states that if power demand rises the utility company can cut power to the building. So you could have kids sitting in a school with no power.

Reactions: shields
Do you also still believe that withholding water makes football players tougher? This is the same mentality in my opinion.

First of all not all schools are equipped with air conditioning. Sure they could still have classes but it going to be pointless. You try getting a class of kids who are in miserable to focus when they are hot and miserable.

Secondly many schools who do have air conditioning it is often not sufficient to cool the entire building in these record temps. Also most were not designed to handle the additional heat load of not only the outside heat but combine that with electronic heat. When I taught I had an interior room that had no windows. On a day like this the room would be inhabitable.

Finally many schools due to being closed during summer participate in an energy shut off program. In exchange for for grants from the electric company. The agreement states that if power demand rises the utility company can cut power to the building. So you could have kids sitting in a school with no power.

yeah because we had air conditioning in the 70's and 80's but they took it away from as we hit the 21st century

Oh yeah, that pool on the 3rd floor! :smiley: The summer before we moved I ran into someone as well at my daughters little league softball game.....made me feel old! Did the reunion ever materialize last year?

I don't think so unless it was small. Hoping we do something this summer.

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/35640873/classes-canceled-at-some-nj-schools-due-to-excessive-heat

are we coddling these kids. We all experienced hot days at school where some rooms had air and some did not. It was low to mid 90s with relative okay humidity today, garden variety heat...are we teaching these kids that there is no reason to suffer...when you grow up you can stay home from work because its too hot. This has to be a recent phenomenon of closing schools for heat..what gives?

Give it a rest already grandpa.

I'm always confused with these threads as if the kids are making these calls. It's your generation making these decisions. So obviously the heat was too much on tou guys. Your parents were tougher. Not sure why your so soft but I'm just hopeful that when my kids get to school age you snowflakes aren't in control any more. Then again I'm not sure what your generation exceeded at besides producing bad economies, terrible presidents and a nation that sues over everything so maybe we should do things different.
Only post in this thread anyone should read.

I think you guys are missing the root cause. It's not because they're pampering kids. The district's don't want to close. It's because they fear parents who will sue if a kid overheats. It reminds me of something my wife and I often say. We're walking into a business and see a ridiculous sign like "No hanging from the lights." We always say, somebody hung from those lights once. They fell, and they sued.
There is some truth in this. I guarantee you, the #1 objective of every BOE/Super is to avoid lawsuits. And yes, objective #2 is to teach your kids!

Reactions: LC-88

This. I work in cost accounting for a manufacturing company and we have what we call "red days" for energy saving purposes. It's all about the energy savings to cut down on overhead. That's right, grown adults who have AC still get sent home sometimes.

Schools closing for heat isnt new. I remember being let out early for 90+ days as far back as 1986. Town has 23 schools and none had AC back then

I was in school in late 80 through the 90s and can recall a couple of instances of being sent home early, but I'm pretty sure the temps were high 90s...

Reactions: RUfinal4
Schools closing for heat isnt new. I remember being let out early for 90+ days as far back as 1986. Town has 23 schools and none had AC back then

Did you go to school in Snowflake, Arizona?
header_left.jpg

graphic_schools_snowflakejrhigh.png

(just a joke to go with narrative that the old people are tougher than today's kids)

I don't ever remember getting let out of school for heat. On the other hand, the temperatures yesterday broke records, so it was never that hot (on June 12, anyway), although it may have been almost as hot.

Most buildings built in NJ before about 1965 didn't have air conditioning. So sending kids home back then wasn't really an option. School wasn't air conditioned, but neither were most homes. So wherever you sent the kid, they were going to be hot. The only option then was to open the windows.

The argument that kids won't learn anything in the heat is specious. If you close schools, they aren't learning anything anyway. I also don't buy the argument that the heat is dangerous. It is not like you're asking the kids to run laps in the heat. Except for kids with health issues, the heat is uncomfortable, but not dangerous. The handful of kids with health issues can be accommodated separately.

The problem with closing schools is that it puts an unexpected burden on parents who need to arrange for childcare on the fly. I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect tons of parents to stay home from work so that their kids don't sweat.

The issue has become parents who bring school districts to court when their child with some sort of breathing disorder has an issue when its 90+ in a building.

I will say my classroom tops 100 close to summer (we have a thermometer in the room) and we have never closed. Water bottles also freeze over night in my room...it gets fun.

You got it all wrong it is not for the kids, the progressive are taking care of themselves. It is never about the kids, the poor the
climate, the polar bears, it is about changing the way it has always been done.

Never understood this notion that if I suffered, my kids should suffer, too.

We are in finals week. Classes have ground to a halt at my kids' HS. Why make them sit there and be miserable.

I was in school from the 80s-mid 90s and I don't remember schools ever closing for heat. A couple rooms by the time I reached high school had AC but most didn't. Just had to fan yourself with a folder or binder to keep cool. It sucked on hot/humid days.

I agree with the notion of CYA. Society has become too litigious so many things have to be seen through that prism. Things go wrong in life. Sometimes it's something that is preventable, sometimes you have to balance plus/minuses, sometimes it's something that's not preventable or foreseen and unfortunately bad things just happen in life. Regardless of any of those scenarios, someone is always looking for places to blame, point the finger or sue whenever anything goes wrong.

It sucks for parents having to make arrangements spur of the moment but from the administrators point of view through that prism I can't fault them.

Reactions: RocktheRac
The comments on this thread are very entertaining.

I am sure there are a number of factors behind the schools closing early.
- no AC and overheated students in an environment not conducive to learning
- energy savings
- end of year where the students have finished most of their learning
- parents / PTO politics requesting this

on the other hand in urban places with a poorer citizen-base do the schools stay open or move to community centers since many of the students don't have AC at home where it can be hotter than the schools?

At work over the years we had times where the AC broke on hot days. Those became work remote days. If it is 90+ outside and at least 85+ in the classroom where they may not have fans I can see where it is not a great environment since everyone will be sweating and distracted from learning.

When i was in school, there wasn't any AC, we just shut off the lights and had one of those big metal fans in the class and that was it.

School was never closed for heat. So it looks like this is a new thing.

Reactions: RocktheRac
When i was in school, there wasn't any AC, we just shut off the lights and had one of those big metal fans in the class and that was it.

School was never closed for heat. So it looks like this is a new thing.
My grandson suffered the heat yesterday, then he and his whole team
showed up for baseball practice, and the coach had races around the bases for a half hour straight.
Today he has half day and has another practice and again no complaints, the kids don't
give a crap about the temperature. and when it was time to leave they were begging for
for another hour. My wife and I were hot, my middle age offsprings were hot, but not the kids.

Forget about the schools...when we have these heat waves I often think about the office workers in NY and other cities before AC. How did they work in that heat in suits and ties?

Was in Catholic grammar school in the 60s and early 70s. No AC at all, and we had to wear school color pants, shirt, and tie. Never got out early for heat.

Non-Catholic private school with dress code that included sports jacket, shirt and tie. When it broke 90 we were allowed to go to classes without the sports jacket and tie.

Forget about the schools...when we have these heat waves I often think about the office workers in NY and other cities before AC. How did they work in that heat in suits and ties?
Offices? Lol. Try manufacturing in a factory with no ac.

Reactions: tico brown
My kid is in one of the districts that is going to a half day today.

The only rooms in the building with A/C are the gym, the computer lab and offices (front office/nurse's office).

It's not about coddling kids.

It's about what the hell do you do with them all day? Schools are often 12 hour a day hubs f activities now. It's not 1980, where we all left at 3pm. My kid's school has an after care program that opens at 0700 and runs to 630 pm. That means kids as young as 6 years old are on-site for 11.5 hours.

Additionally, the buildings retain heat when it's hot for multiple days in a row. When I dropped my kids off this morning at before care, the cafeteria was 81 degrees.

How many of you tough guys are posting your pussification of America comments from your air conditioned office?

And anyone who wants to prove how tough they are, whaddya say you put your BDUs, body armor and 120 pound ruck on and meet me at the local park for a few miles...

Was in Catholic grammar school in the 60s and early 70s. No AC at all, and we had to wear school color pants, shirt, and tie. Never got out early for heat.

13 years for me, K-HS, finished in 1981, NO AC, ties, etc. Dont ever recall getting out early for heat, maybe an extended recess or an extra trip to the water fountain (single file, no talking)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT