ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Axani, Jerome Coleman, Herve Laminaza, Quincy Douby

Wow, I better get back on my meds, because I have no memory or recollection of what you're talking about.

remember when watching rutgers basketball use to be fun to watch?

when the rac was packed and considered the loudest arena in the big east

on any given night we had a chance of beating whoever came to play us.

Yes...I remember those good old days.

Yes I remember it well. Actually, with coach Young, Wenzel, Bannon, Waters, last season with Hill(Hamady) and Rice. The only decent atmosphere with Jordan I would say was Wisconsin.

Yes the 90's...when Jim Calhoun called the RAC intimidating...hasn't been like that since 2006...you know the last time we sniffed any postseason bid...now there's no atmosphere at all. Pathetic

When I was a student, you could not hear yourself think in there. Now it sounds like Rutgers Stadium when I was a student.

The Opener against Missouri in the early 90s, we literally stood on our seats the ENTIRE game because you would not be able to see a thing otherwise. It's the same seat I have to this day..10 rows from the court.. The person next to you could not hear you speaking to them unless you shouted in their ear from a foot away...

We prayed for a big east invite back then.

Who would have ever thought we would shoot past the big east and into the B1G and the place would be a morgue...so sad.

Reactions: JPhoboken
Wow, I better get back on my meds, because I have no memory or recollection of what you're talking about.

Yes, please contact your pharmacist because back then there were a lot of seasons in which we were the typical underdog but you went into the RAC feeling like anything could happen.

Sometimes it did.

Reactions: JPhoboken
Sanders may be the best baller we've had since Johnny Battle. Douby was a freak shooter, Jones was a solid athlete, Geoff Billet was primetime, but I prefer Sanders.

apparently you weren't around because with that lineup and some Bannon lineups you felt walking in you could win any game no matter who it was....now no chance at all...part of the thing about being a fan is hope. We have not had hope in 10 years save for a brief period of time during Rice. When your fans don't have hope they stop following and become apathetic

Sanders may be the best baller we've had since Johnny Battle. Douby was a freak shooter, Jones was a solid athlete, Geoff Billet was primetime, but I prefer Sanders.

I think Sanders is the best we've had since Sellers.

were we final four contenders in the bannon-waters years, most definatly not. But the team was exciting at home, ready to beat anyone at the RAC. It was loud it was intimidating, good times

My main squeeze saw her first college BB game in 91 against Mizzou. Fanatical fan ever since. Well.......FJH knocked it down a peg. Now, she won't even watch on TV.

It's unbelievable that it's been a decade since a winning season. What a disaster.

The one thing all of those people have in common are they never played in an Abbas tournament which we have made 6 times. Ever. The worst part about this I agree with you none of us even want ncaas at this point we just want to be remotely competitive!

Those and others are solid players, some of whom played with each other, and none of whom made it to the NCAA tournament with RU. I say that not to be bleak or argue that RU hasn't had crazy fun games at the RAC in the last 15-20 years.

I say it to point out that RU has had lots and lots of years in which you could point to a player or two who are solid, good, or even better than that. RU often gets recruits who are the "future" or who some say form a solid base for the future. RU gets recruits who some think are the reason to believe that the coach is building something, and so on. And in reality it's the same stuff. Because it's not enough. Not even close. Natural optimism has us focusing on the fairly regular parade of a few decent players and one or two better-than-that players and believing that it's something more than it is.

Having one, two or three good players has been almost a constant here. It's not the sign of the future. It's a sign of the same stuff. Getting a well recruited player or two -- not amazing, but solid and talented -- ain't nothing new. Getting a JUCO who's here for a short time and helps ain't new either. It's old.

Solid, repeated and repeated, deep recruiting classes build a program. Or maybe even some sort of massive haul of excellent players in one year. None of that hasn't happened in over 20 years here. On the other hand, lots of misses while getting an isolated real player or two every couple of years doesn't do it. Worse than that, a complete whiff on recruiting in a key year, when the number of scholarship players is already too low, leads to things getting really bad.

I admit basketball may be a sport I love(and played in HS) but I am out of the loop when it comes to RU and college ball ball in general......its just changed sooo much

I rely on what i read here actually and the only GLOWiNG reports are that Sanders is the real deal.

I HOPE we find other pieces of the BBall puzzle....

I admit basketball may be a sport I love(and played in HS) but I am out of the loop when it comes to RU and college ball ball in general......its just changed sooo much

I rely on what i read here actually and the only GLOWiNG reports are that Sanders is the real deal.

I HOPE we find other pieces of the BBall puzzle....

I'd have a tiny bit of optimism if Kwe Parker had signed with us. It really seemed like 6 months ago we had a little momentum going. How the heck could we have no recruits signed in the fall when there are plenty of openings for good players to come here and get major minutes.

Hobbs needs to get rid of Eddie or increase the coaches salaries majorly and get some assistants who can recruit and coach.

You're completely discounting Douby here. He was absolutely INCREDIBLE, not just for Rutgers, but anywhere. He was scoring at will with the entire defense game planning to stop him. I still think he could have been a great scoring option off the bench for a NBA team, but I guess he just couldn't hack it defensively.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Saw quite a few good teams since my frosh year (1996/7). That was a crazy year - games in the Barn were always packed - they used to set up closed circuit the in the gym annex, so the overflow could watch the games. Going to NIT (when NIT was a big deal because NCAA did not invite. 101 teams. Tickets for the first NIT game, the ticket office had no limit on how many tickets you could buy - first 8 guys in line snapped up all the student tickets. Big todo over that mess - after that - two tickets/id for games 2-4. Got to see three of the four games in the Garden (missing only the loss to Clyde and Southern Il..

Sanders is very good but at this point is no where near the best since Sellers. Douby was incredible and only played 3 years. Hinson, James Bailey, Battle, Mike Dabney, Jordan & Hughes as were already mentioned were all better at this point. Sanders might become better than some of these guys but has a ways to go yet.

Reactions: bac2therac
Quincy Douby was the last guard in this program that could shoot the ball. Sanders is nowhere near Douby's offensive skill level. It's not even close. Posterizing future scrubs on You Tube isn't the same as consistently keeping an undermanned team in games against superior opposition by carrying the offense on your back.

Some thoughts and recollections...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we were 7-1 or 6-2 in Big East home games played in the RAC one of Water's years. We never put together a tourney team, but it was damn fun being an RU fan at the time.

As we all know, Bannon had us extremely close in one of the Billet-Hodgson years. If we could have gotten over the hump and made the dance - and Bannon could have avoided the non-game related nonsense - we could have been off to the races.

Douby was easily the singular greatest talent I have ever seen don the Rutgers uniform on the hardwood (I was an undergrad in the 90's, and not around for Sellers/Jordan/etc.) IMO he was almost the sole reason we had the NIT finals run, and he had some amazing individual performances during that season against some premiere Big East backcourts.

I remember constantly lamenting the incomplete skill-sets of our former big men... Axani, Adrian Hill, the 90's Dabney, etc. Any one of those players would immediately be the best big man on this year's squad by a wide margin.

LANE'S A PU$$Y! (clap, clap, clapclapclap)
LANE'S A PU$$Y! (clap, clap, clapclapclap)

memories. those were my years at RU 99-04 i was the kid in section 109 row S getting the chants going. i was friends with that entire team because my roomate was a student manager for the bball team. miss those days, how people forget we were a bball school. i chose Rutgers because i visited the night Hodgson and Billet beat Cuse in 98 at home, looked at my dad and said "im going here" and then i tried to rush the court haha (remember how security never let anyone rush??? very annoying) Thats why i will always remember Gary Waters for one simple reason - he came to his opening press conference and didnt talk about championships or unrealisitic goals, he said "we will make the RAC the most intimidating place to play at in college basketball". 15-1 his first year at home. too bad he couldnt win on the road or we couldnt just let FHJ go to seton hall so he could have failed over there instead of here........cripes.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Battle, Hinson, Elerbe, Remley, Tillman, Black, Darius Griffin, good times

We have been a national laughingstock for 30 years. How in the world does the State University of New Jersey go 40 years since The Final Four !!! It is beyond pathetic the drek that has been put on the floor the last three decades. I have had season tickets for over 30 years and have been going to games since 1976. I have NEVER intentionally missed games until this year. I had to drag myself to drive up for last night's game and could barely stay awake in The RAC. We are in the Big East/Big Ten era and season after season,decade after decade,we put MAAC/Atlantic 10 players on the court. It is NOT the players' fault for us being the Hindenberg of college basketball,but I just can't take much more. The fan base has not just died in numbers,but have actually DIED watching this program fade into obscurity.

Ba
I think a number of players would disagree with your opinion ie,Bailey,Hinson,Hughes,Dabney,Jordan,Battle,Douby,etc.

Bailey was an All American. Sanders has a lot of work to do the catch up to some of those players.

Those and others are solid players, some of whom played with each other, and none of whom made it to the NCAA tournament with RU. I say that not to be bleak or argue that RU hasn't had crazy fun games at the RAC in the last 15-20 years.

I say it to point out that RU has had lots and lots of years in which you could point to a player or two who are solid, good, or even better than that. RU often gets recruits who are the "future" or who some say form a solid base for the future. RU gets recruits who some think are the reason to believe that the coach is building something, and so on. And in reality it's the same stuff. Because it's not enough. Not even close. Natural optimism has us focusing on the fairly regular parade of a few decent players and one or two better-than-that players and believing that it's something more than it is.

Having one, two or three good players has been almost a constant here. It's not the sign of the future. It's a sign of the same stuff. Getting a well recruited player or two -- not amazing, but solid and talented -- ain't nothing new. Getting a JUCO who's here for a short time and helps ain't new either. It's old.

Solid, repeated and repeated, deep recruiting classes build a program. Or maybe even some sort of massive haul of excellent players in one year. None of that hasn't happened in over 20 years here. On the other hand, lots of misses while getting an isolated real player or two every couple of years doesn't do it. Worse than that, a complete whiff on recruiting in a key year, when the number of scholarship players is already too low, leads to things getting really bad.

but Hobbs just re-affirmed our new facilities plan, so everything will be fine soon enough.

The people who are critical of things here want to win and were a part of what made the RAC special

It's all bs that hoops can't be big here:

We average 6700 and 7100 in the atlantic 10 as a one game over .500 team and a 9 seed NCAA

We averaged 7500 in the big east as a bubble NCAA team

If there is reason to supprt...:the RAC will be back and so will the supprt

I look forward to having to lose my voice at the RAC again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT