ADVERTISEMENT

"Secret" scrimmages vs. Towson (10/20) and Yale (10/26)

kcg88

Heisman Winner
Aug 11, 2017

Wish we were facing a P5 team like many others. St. Bonaventure and then Pitt are going to be big talent shocks given the rest of our competition.

Reactions: Scangg

Wish we were facing a P5 team like many others. St. Bonaventure and then Pitt are going to be big talent shocks given the rest of our competition.

Yale is better than both Pitt and St Bonaventure in the last 5 years, without question. It's not a flashy name opponent, but it's a well run program with real players and real coach.

Yale is better than both Pitt and St Bonaventure in the last 5 years, without question. It's not a flashy name opponent, but it's a well run program with real players and real coach.

Who cares about the last 5 years? We're playing them this year. Unless Miye Oni is suiting up for Yale they're not a very good team. Rated #196 by Torvik. Pittsburgh rated #69.

We saw what happened last season when we went from playing FDU and Drexel to St. John's.

Yale:
2018: 22-8/#77 kenpom
2017: 18-11/ #151 kenpom

Pitt:
2018: 14-19/#101 kenpom
2017: 16-17/#79 kenpom

St. Bonaventure:
2018: 18-16/#121 kenpom
2017: 20-12/#91 kenpom

Not sure I see "the big talent shock" based on the past two years. To be fair I am not sure how each team projects to be this season.

Who cares about the last 5 years? We're playing them this year. Unless Miye Oni is suiting up for Yale they're not a very good team. Rated #196 by Torvik. Pittsburgh rated #69.

We saw what happened last season when we went from playing FDU and Drexel to St. John's.
We weren’t ready for St John’s based on our inexperienced roster last year (plus got off to a bad start and St. John’s couldn’t miss). Should be different this year when we play good teams early, but we’ll see.

Reactions: Scangg
Many secret scrimmages we will never know about.

Rutgers 1st teams VS. Rutgers 2nd team. Yes they know each others offense and defensive tendencies, but the competition is good.

Reactions: BillyC80
It is a scrimmage. Very controlled at times with certain situation set up. Some actual game time, yes, but it's a scrimmage.

Reactions: Skull83
Yale:
2018: 22-8/#77 kenpom
2017: 18-11/ #151 kenpom

Pitt:
2018: 14-19/#101 kenpom
2017: 16-17/#79 kenpom

St. Bonaventure:
2018: 18-16/#121 kenpom
2017: 20-12/#91 kenpom

Not sure I see "the big talent shock" based on the past two years. To be fair I am not sure how each team projects to be this season.

Yale's losing it's top three scorers, 2 to graduation and 1 (Oni) to an early NBA departure.

We could scrimmage Kentucky at Rupp Arena via closed circuit TV and rabbit ears on the black and white TV and fans would complain about it....it's a scrimmage and holds no value towards trying to apply things to the regular season schedule etc.

If this is a complaint about whether we have "scheduled up" in the OOC again, it's not a valid item worth discussing....the schedule in the B1G is out and there are 24 out of the 30 games that are legitimate games....making that 25 games instead of 24, isnt going to matter come tournament time....

The last time we took Yale lightly we got bounced from the NIT.

Reactions: Local Shill
As bad as our OOC Schedule is - even our scrimmages suck compared to our conference brethren...:)

As bad as our OOC Schedule is - even our scrimmages suck compared to our conference brethren...:)
People complain about the "lack" of competition, but I doubt any of you would continue to say that if you played at this level in any sport. When I played at Rutgers, I took playing Maine as dangerous as when I played against WVU. The guy across from me could kick my *ss at any time if I didn't get max effort. Don't get stuck on the names on the front of the jersey.

Reactions: mikeylew1992
On March 2nd 2019 we beat Iowa yet no one was talking about us being on the NCAA bubble. No team 14-14, unless they had a monster OOC, would be considered.

Imagine if we were 16-12......I'll bet we would have at least been in a few conversations.

Columbia and Fordham :Angry

Maybe controlled scrimmages against Yale and Towson is not the worst thing in the world. This team will probably play a different lineup vs. Yale, Towson, Niagara or St. Bonnie that they would playing most P5 schools.

On March 2nd 2019 we beat Iowa yet no one was talking about us being on the NCAA bubble. No team 14-14, unless they had a monster OOC, would be considered.

Imagine if we were 16-12......I'll bet we would have at least been in a few conversations.

Columbia and Fordham :Angry

Maybe controlled scrimmages against Yale and Towson is not the worst thing in the world. This team will probably play a different lineup vs. Yale, Towson, Niagara or St. Bonnie that they would playing most P5 schools.
This year's team is going to stomp all over the OOC schedule. We have much more talent and won't be breaking in Caleb Harper Mathis Myles Carter Kiss all getting their first in game action at Rutgers. This is why a goal of .500 is a sad uninspiring goal. We would only need to win 5 or 6 conference games to do that which would be a step backwards

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT