ADVERTISEMENT

Sick of Schiano’s BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you know... I value accuracy in language use. It's all that separates us from the heathen hoards. 😀

Those coaches I mentioned are competent and capable coaches. They don't suck as coaches. In the Big Ten East, you don't have to suck to lose a lot. You just have to not be good enough which is quite a lot different than sucking at coaching.

They've all earned plenty of money being football coaches which wouldn't have happened if they sucked. They wouldn't be able to get hired if they sucked.

They might suck at producing wins at RUFB, if one feels compelled to phrase it that way. But then, so did most of the coaches in RUFB history. And it's a damn long history.
Greg proved, in his first era, that he can build a respectable program out of one sitting in a trash pile.
That should give him the benefit of doubt, but due to the years between the G1 and G2 eras , Schiano can't be considered a lock to make RU respectable again.
Just not have people expect instant gratification and a quicker timeline then the first go-around in making the program a winner after being considered a loser even by its fanbase

There are some, maybe even more han some, that hold a grudge against Schiano for not making RU FB a top program afte what they saw RU do in 2006.
By the time the G1 era was coming too an end a lot of the fanbase had goiven up thinking Greg1 would make RU FB an elite program and wanted him gone.

I feel G2 can make RU respectable again, but not an elite program
Right now Rutgers needs to become respected again and this season is going to show if RU is on the road to it , by the play on field and not the W-L record.
5th year should be wen winning season and 2nd bowl game in the G2 era should be expected.
G1's team regressed in his forth year to 4-7, from a 5-7 W-L record in his 3 year, but that was the year most fans seen improvement on the field, even with some clunkers ( New Hampshire - Navy )
Year 5 was a winner and brought with it an Insight Bowl bid

I'm looking at that timeline in my defense of giving Schiano time to make RU respected again, rather than call G2 a failure after a bad 3rd year

As for those who will claim G2 like G1 isn't good enough to make RU an elite program, you'll get no argument from me.
But for now winning records and bowl invites are my goal and I feel G2 is good enough for that

Last edited:
IMO, fans being the fanatics they are, they tend to greatly exaggerate a coaches positives when winning, and greatly exaggerate that same coaches negatives when they lose.

Because the coaching level in the Big Ten is already so high, having a better coach might mean 1-2 more wins, on average, per season, for teams that are currently struggling. But then we bump up against another team's excellent coach and the great coaching on both sides cancels out and the results depend entirely on the players and luck.

My point is superior coaching seems unlikely to lead to winning many more games than now.

To win consistently, we need good enough coaching AND good enough players AND good enough luck. There are no shortcuts, there is no quick fix - although luck can play a huge role in any single season.

Some coaches can do more with less. But when playing other coaches who can do the same thing but have the luxury of doing more with way more, the value of doing more with less is greatly diminished.
When you go up against coaches who are capable of doing more with less, but have the luxury of having more, sometimes way more, you get the results we saw last season. The problem is that RU has squandered whatever talent they have on offense with substandard coaching. It remains to be seen if the changes to the staff will improve that situation.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Well, you know... I value accuracy in language use. It's all that separates us from the heathen hoards. 😀

Those coaches I mentioned are competent and capable coaches. They don't suck as coaches. In the Big Ten East, you don't have to suck to lose a lot. You just have to not be good enough which is quite a lot different than sucking at coaching.

They've all earned plenty of money being football coaches which wouldn't have happened if they sucked. They wouldn't be able to get hired if they sucked.

They might suck at producing wins at RUFB, if one feels compelled to phrase it that way. But then, so did most of the coaches in RUFB history. And it's a damn long history.

Don't you mean "hordes".....

Nicolas Cage Wink GIF

I've always found that to be suspect.
So if HC Hobbs wanted to hire anyone else - the $4m was going to disappear?

If HC Schiano doesn't work out - are we stuck paying $1m/year for the next HC?
Because donors will only pay for HC Schiano - come hell or high water?
How exactly is that supposed to work out for the program going forward.
It wasn't going to disappear --- but it might have been a lot less. My impression is that some large donors were willing to shell out for Schiano specifically.

Mild….It’s “hordes”. Someone can suck at spelling too and it doesn’t make him (you) a bad person, so at least you may have that plus on your report card.

Suck is relative. Ash sucked at the job and HCGS ain’t doin’ much better compared to other conf coaches.

Michigan had as many rushing yards as we had had TOTAL YARDS.
Michigan passing yards: 3,078 (#55)
Michigan rushing yards: 3,345 (#3)
Michigan total yards: 6,423 (#15)
Michigan PPG: 40.4 (#6)
Michigan rushing touchdowns: 41 (#2)

Rutgers total yards: 3,385 (#127)

It's not like they were running out the clock and sitting on the ball.
There is a difference between "running the ball to slow down the game and avoid mistakes and keep it low scoring" and "running the ball to score points".
Yes, teams who use the run game to advance the offense is good. Just like teams using the pass to advance the offense is good.

The problem isn't just "running the ball" - it's why HCs choose to run the ball.
Our philosophy appears to be more of the "run the ball to avoid mistakes and limit the offense".
..and run down the clock to shorten the game.

Cheer up RU football fans. It's worse for Texas A&M, even with all that NIL money.

And Ohio State? They suck with Ryan Day in charge!!!

At least we are not this team. 😜

Meme Reaction GIF

Last edited:
That is like every coach ever.
You are so right, as usual! Ryan Day is not immune. And Texas A&M is doomed!!!!
Cheer up RU football fans. It's worse for Texas A&M, even with all that NIL money.

And Ohio State? They suck with Ryan Day in charge!!!

At least we are not this team. 😜

Meme Reaction GIF

A Trojans fan chimes in on the above Tweet. Hope we slap them silly.

Mild….It’s “hordes”. Someone can suck at spelling too and it doesn’t make him (you) a bad person, so at least you may have that plus on your report card.

Suck is relative. Ash sucked at the job and HCGS ain’t doin’ much better compared to other conf coaches.
Yeah, Nick caught it up above. I love comic irony even when I’m the brunt of the joke. 🙂

In my defense, I was doing several things at once while rushing out the door to meet a friend for dinner in Princeton (Conte’s) while typing in my incorrect word usage. Not my first ironic screwup, won’t be my last.

Least I now get to go to bed laughing.

One of the things that Schiano always says is "we're young." A poster above pointed out this is actually correct: we have a pretty high number of freshmen and sophomores on the roster. So what happened to the upperclassmen? Were they all run off? Weren't some of them Schiano's recruits?

Check out Oklahoma and KSU'A running games. Both had running games that were utilized close to how their passing attack went.
They might have been a little more pass happy, but most conference programs didn't neglect their running game one bit.
Spin it as you want, but the facts really don't support the aversion to running in that conference , just that the passing game was the bigger part of offense there.
Ok let’s talk about facts since you brought up Oklahoma and KSU.

Oklahoma and KSU are not ‘a little more pass happy’, they pass the ball about 60% of the time. Oklahoma has put out baker, kyler Murray and Jalen hurts all in the last 4 years…. That’s a laughable comparison to make regarding Greg Schiano.

You are bringing up all these other programs while not understanding in college football, teams like this find themselves up by 30 in the second half often, and stop passing the ball…. How many opponents did we see last year run the ball 100% of their 4th quarter offensive snaps vs us once last year because they were already up 4-5 TD’s?

You refuse to acknowledging that last year, in year 3, the year we would be ‘better in November’. We ended the season on a 1-8 stretch including going 0-5 in November. And now like a fish out of water, you are flopping around comparing us to friggan Oklahoma to defend Greg… a comparison that is not accurate in the slightest…. In fact, never mention Greg schiano’s name anywhere close to Lincoln Riley’s again.

As I’ve said, some fans (like you) simply cannot let go of 1 magical week in 2006 and have not realized the game has passed Greg by, really for no other reason than your emotional investment. You think UConn fans liked the way edsall left?

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDivision
Amazing that he seems to be a worse coach after all the experience he had after coaching here the first time. He’s the C. Vivien Stringer of college football. The game passed him by 10 years ago.
No need to insult C Vivian Stringer like that.

No, let’s call this what is really is, Greg is the RANDY EDSALL of Rutgers… in so many ways

Reactions: RUforlife
Look at you, bein' all down with the lingo!!
OP got ratio'd, by @gef21 who wins the thread.
Take a listen to the Mike McMahon podcast with Richie and Mike. Opinions vary on these things. Fans are rarely correct, but the word of players and other coaches is solid. OTOH, platitudes from the true experts are nice and can make you fall all warm and fuzzy about a coach, but results matter. This season will be pivotal for 2.0.

After he committed I predicted Wimsatt would transfer. Somehow he wasn’t aware of the GS punt-first philosophy. Surely he could have gotten decent NIL elsewhere.

Fast forward two years. How does the prediction look now ? Anyone want to wager taking the side that Wimsatt stays all 4-5 (Covid year) ?

Who do you suggest we replace him with? And don’t say the guy at Kansas … and Deion is not leaving Colorado for Rutgers.
That’s Hobbs job and he has failed miserably at it since he’s been here. We also conveniently forget that Fleck was in our building and we let him walk. We should have brought Fleck back not just Ciraoocca.

So everyone please stop with the if not Greg who. We all can look at the top 10 prospect coaches list and figure out who to target. Elko, Clawson , Narduzzi, DeBoer.

Will forget that if we did not mistakenly give Greg a bloated contract that he did not deserve we could have looked at Cristoboal, Rhule, or Kleinman

It’s ok he will be gone soon

After he committed I predicted Wimsatt would transfer. Somehow he wasn’t aware of the GS punt-first philosophy. Surely he could have gotten decent NIL elsewhere.

Fast forward two years. How does the prediction look now ? Anyone want to wager taking the side that Wimsatt stays all 4-5 (Covid year) ?
I hope he transfers for his own sake to help save his career under a true head coach and offensive coordinator

Just not have people expect instant gratification and a quicker timeline then the first go-around in making the program a winner after being considered a loser even by its fanbase
Seriously, 3 years to see some improvement anywhere on the offense is not even remotely close to wanting instant gratification. It is STANDARD in college football to look for improvement after 3 years, not impatience, and offense in particular has not only not improved, its gotten worse since Year 1. And incidentally, Year 1, when the offense improved IMMEDIATELY and scored 2x as many points as the year before, proves that you don't need 3 or 5 years to turn parts of your team around.

He gets paid no matter the results. It’s really a scam. It’s not a stretch to suggest he wanted to come back to boost his financial status. He’s really more of a politician than he is a hungry HC looking to build a program which ironically was built pretty good before he bolted to Tampa
We were the only school willing to take him back with the PSU stank all over him. He was thrown out of the NFL a after his week 2 decision to torpedo the line with a few secs on the clock. Very likely he was trying to get a financial win fall and hopefully restore his reputation. When he’s gone he will end up a special teams coach for Bill.

We were the only school willing to take him back with the PSU stank all over him. He was thrown out of the NFL a after his week 2 decision to torpedo the line with a few secs on the clock. Very likely he was trying to get a financial win fall and hopefully restore his reputation. When he’s gone he will end up a special teams coach for Bill.
PSU stank?

Amazing some of the dumb things people say

You don’t like him as a coach….that’s fine

But they PSU stuff is utter BS

Stay classy

Why did Tenn not hire him?
Alumni uproar and that blogger who used to use that nonsense against him

You look quite ignorant here

Provide any proof that there is any validity to that bogus who again….by one blogger has any legs

You look making a Jack ass out of yourself

Alumni uproar and that blogger who used to use that nonsense against him

You look quite ignorant here

Provide any proof that there is any validity to that bogus who again….by one blogger has any legs

You look making a Jack ass out of yourself
Did he not get the Tenn job because the fanbase was upset at the findings in the PSU scandal?

Not saying it’s true I was not there when it happened .

Fact remains that’s why he did not get the Tenn job. The media coverage at the time had all other CFP running from him.

The only Jack ass is you acknowledging that it happened. You say a blogger started it . Ok fine. BUT it happened.

So you can hide from facts or spin how they came about. In the end your the Jack ass who agreed w me and tried to spin why it happened. 😂 😆

Did he not get the Tenn job because the fanbase was upset at the findings in the PSU scandal?

Not saying it’s true I was not there when it happened .

Fact remains that’s why he did not get the Tenn job. The media coverage at the time had all other CFP running from him.

The only Jack ass is you acknowledging that it happened. You say a blogger started it . Ok fine. BUT it happened.

So you can hide from facts or spin how they came about. In the end your the Jack ass who agreed w me and tried to spin why it happened. 😂 😆
And that doesn’t mean that they rescinded his offer because of that as you implied

Keep making things up

Good job

It took you several years?
Sorry Fl
And that doesn’t mean that rhey rescinded his offer because of that as you implied
Ok now your trying to change your argument after realizing how dumb it was.

Ok then elighten us all . Why did they rescind it?? Why did every other CFP run and hide from him??

I driving but don’t make me embarrass you by posting all of the media coverage around Tenn rescinding the offer.

We all know

Just take the L

Sorry Fl

Ok now your trying to change your argument after realizing how dumb it was.

Ok then elighten us all . Why did they rescind it?? Why did every other CFP run and hide from him??

I driving but don’t make me embarrass you by posting all of the media coverage around Tenn rescinding the offer.

We all know

Just take the L
OSU says HI

OSU says HI
Your embarrassed now by realizing how bad and unintelligent your points are.

I appreciate you agreeing with me and further outlining my point.

In the future please don’t call my personal class into the debate especially when you agree with me.

Ok Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT