ADVERTISEMENT

St John's..Mullin to resign, Bobby Hurley up next?

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
Twitter rumors and others reporting Chris Mullin may be looking to negotiate a buyout due to family items and Arizona State's Bobby Hurley is the leading candidate to replace him.

Never a dull moment in Queens NY....

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Twitter rumors and others reporting Chris Mullin may be looking to negotiate a buyout due to family items and Arizona State's Bobby Hurley is the leading candidate to replace him.

Never a dull moment in Queens NY....

He just lost his best recruiting coach and a top prospect is asking out of his LOI.
Things don’t seem too good there.

If SJU needs a new HC aren’t the Hurley’s the first stop in the coaching search?

Mullin is an awful coach. Its best for them to mutually part ways. Cluess would be a phenomenal hire. Hurley would do well because he can recruit but cluess is a really damn good coach

Impossible.

In the Willard thread, some people are saying the weather and area of Blacksburg is nicer than North Jersey.

ASU has MUCH better weather than NYC and that campus out there is gorgeous

Would Iona’s Tim Cluess get an interview? Does Mike Francesa have to OK candidates?

New coach?....what?!?
l9kranmj77lshzh7ywec.gif

Can’t see him leaving ASU for Va. Tech. I don’t see why Hurley or Willard would want that job. They can both do better.

I would think Arizona State is a better job.

Not necessarily...ASU is sort of limited. More exposure at SJU...but the kicker is SJU is just a stop over for Hurley...he will easily bolt to ACC. SJU needs to know this wont be long term

I believe Mullin is in recovery as well.Not airing at any dirty laundry as it is very public. Having watched close family member suffer from alcoholism, it seems like an issue that would be best with a low stress job. Who knows.

I had a couple uncles that played with him in Brooklyn. My mom used to watch and cheer lead against St Thomas Aquinas and watch her brothers play at Xaverian HS.

Last edited:
Impossible.

In the Willard thread, some people are saying the weather and area of Blacksburg is nicer than North Jersey.

ASU has MUCH better weather than NYC and that campus out there is gorgeous

Az is DEATH VALLEY... temps have grounded airplanes (>116? degrees).

I'm not talking about Sedona (love it...but elevated >4000 -7500 ft.).

Phoenix, Scottsdale...impossible to be outdoors whether you believe it's global warming or the just the weather.

Pass!

MO

Az is DEATH VALLEY... temps have grounded airplanes (>116? degrees).

I'm not talking about Sedona (love it...but elevated >4000 -7500 ft.).

Phoenix, Scottsdale...impossible to be outdoors whether you believe it's global warming or the just the weather.

Pass!

MO
Its beautiful. Dry heat, no humidity. Give me 120 is AZ > 90 and humid in NJ.

Im not leaving ASU for SJU. SJU isnt a great job

Gorgeous campus
No winter

Dude

I've lived in So. Cal for 50 year: Orange County. I have a house in Laguna Niguel...3 miles from the Ocean. And it gets too hot.

Living with permanent fiancée in Oregon / moving to WA in the next 2-3 years.

Weather / Climate patterns have / are changing. Living in AZ is like living in Vegas in the Summer...stay indoors!

MO

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Dude

I've lived in So. Cal for 50 year: Orange County. I have a house in Laguna Niguel...3 miles from the Ocean. And it gets too hot.

Living with permanent fiancée in Oregon / moving to WA in the next 2-3 years.

Weather / Climate patterns have / are changing. Living in AZ is like living in Vegas in the Summer...stay indoors!

MO
Elaborate, i like this concept

Reactions: Night Man
Its beautiful. Dry heat, no humidity. Give me 120 is AZ > 90 and humid in NJ.

Im not leaving ASU for SJU. SJU isnt a great job

Kyk

I was a medical practice consultant in the 80's-2010 (now own my own small company).

Used to have a client in Palm Springs on Tacheva Way (near the hospital that Sinatra donated & built a wing).

One client was a Thoracic Surgeon / Attorney. I had the account for 2 years and travelled to his office weekly.
One summer (probably 1992) I was there in July. I drove a black exterior / black leather interior Ford Taurus (with all the amenities).

The exterior temperature was 117 degrees. Dr. W (played basketball on U of Kansas - Dean Smith was on the same team a year ahead)- asked me if I wanted to go the local mall for dinner. I asked why, when we could just literally fry a couple of eggs on my roof top...cause after all it was a "dry heat". He moved back to Cincy in less than 2 years!

It's not tolerable unless you're a lizard!

MO

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Kyk

I was a medical practice consultant in the 80's-2010 (now own my own small company).

Used to have a client in Palm Springs on Tacheva Way (near the hospital that Sinatra donated & built a wing).

One client was a Thoracic Surgeon / Attorney. I had the account for 2 years and travelled to his office weekly.
One summer (probably 1992) I was there in July. I drove a black exterior / black leather interior Ford Taurus (with all the amenities).

The exterior temperature was 117 degrees. Dr. W (played basketball on U of Kansas - Dean Smith was on the same team a year ahead)- asked me if I wanted to go the local mall for dinner. I asked why, when we could just literally fry a couple of eggs on my roof top...cause after all it was a "dry heat". He moved back to Cincy in less than 2 years!

It's not tolerable unless you're a lizard!

MO
Haha I was actually in palm springs last weekend my cousin lives there. It was 85 which was very nice. Went bouldering in joshua tree, got pretty burnt so I know what u mean about the dry heat being deceiving some times. But i personally love it. Give me 110 > 50, thats the kinda person i am

Haha I was actually in palm springs last weekend my cousin lives there. It was 85 which was very nice. Went bouldering in joshua tree, got pretty burnt so I know what u mean about the dry heat being deceiving some times. But i personally love it. Give me 110 > 50, thats the kinda person i am

Dry Heat vs Wet Mild?~

Nope to doing anything in 110 heat.... unless you're under the misters is a killer....and that includes going to the bathroom.

I walk in Oregon in 50 degree weather all the time, and find it better than being scotched, withered, wrinkled or having to lather up so you don't get skin cancer.

MO

I would think Arizona State is a better job.
I would agree, but I could see why Bobby Hurley would be interested in the St. John's job. Location + connections with HS & travel team coaches in the area, Coach in the Garden, it's not 110 degrees multiple days a year etc.

But it is a moot point for now because, evidently, Mullin is not leaving right now.

The weird thing is if Bobby Hurley did take the job he is basically competing against his brother. That would be interesting.

Reactions: crimsonknight
The only job I see Hurley bolting for is maybe SHU if it opens in the next few years. I don't think he will be considered at Duke until Hurley gets ASU to a sweet 16 which could conceivably happen in the next few years and align for when Coach K retires. If that doesn't happen I see Wojo at Marquette as the top candidate to replace Coach K.

The only job I see Hurley bolting for is maybe SHU if it opens in the next few years. I don't think he will be considered at Duke until Hurley gets ASU to a sweet 16 which could conceivably happen in the next few years and align for when Coach K retires. If that doesn't happen I see Wojo at Marquette as the top candidate to replace Coach K.
Can't see Bobby bolting the Sun Devils for the Hall.
Don't think the Pirates are a better program than what he's making ASU now and so far the school and local media is fully behind him.
His salary could be a problem for ASU to keep him , $2.2 million this year with a $100,000 raise in 2020 & 2021 won't be hard to beat by some of the better programs , if they go after him .

Willard makes about the same , so doubt the Hall would make Bobby an offer he couldn't refuse.
But Bobby and any Seton Hall speculation will have to wait, Willard withdrew his name from consideration for the Hokie job.
Seton Hall's Kevin Willard Withdraws From Consideration For Virginia Tech Job
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelz...ideration-for-virginia-tech-job/#5f97a9a63c44

No way... shu is a few rungs down from ASU

No way I see Hurley leaving ASU for St John's.

A couple more good years and I think he could replace Coach K at Duke .

Both Rob Evans and Herb Sendak had better seasons in Tempe than Hurley has had so far.

Both Rob Evans and Herb Sendak had better seasons in Tempe than Hurley has had so far.
Rob Evans best season was 2002-03 when he went 20-12 and made it to the 2nd round,never had another 20 win season as the Sun Devils HC in his 8 years at ASU

Herb Sendak's 2008-09 record of 25-10 and making it to the second round can be considered better that what Hurley has done so far record wise, but Bobby already, in 4 years, matched the number (2) of NCAA Tourneys Herb took ASU to in the 9 years he was there.

Hurley does have a ways to go to match Ned Wulk’s Sun Devils in 1962-63 (26-3) & 1974-75 ( 25-4) records, with both teams having an Elite Eight appearance with him as the ASU HC.

Reactions: RUinFla
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT