ADVERTISEMENT

St John's..Mullin to resign, Bobby Hurley up next?

Spent 2.5 years in Tempe at ASU and the weather was great. it was hot but not the muggies like here. Sure there is no winter like here but 1 hr up the mountains you can go skiing. Temps at night in Oct /Nov did get quite chilly in the 40's. Don't make it seem it was a broil roaster. And the co eds are 100% better than here.
Hot and cold has so many different connotations depending on your point of view.

Couldn't pay me enough to live in the middle of the desert with broiling heat half the year and no winter, which some people like, plus, the Phoenix area sucks for culture and quality of life vs. NYC or even North Jersey - no comparison. Plus, professionally, a great SJU team will get more attention and ink than a great ASU team.
Have you ever been to the phoenix/scottsdale area? Youre never gonna get the cultural anywhere in the world that youll get in NJ. But phoenix/scottadale is awesome. Actually going there on friday.

Youre entitled to your opinion but ton of people disagree. Maricopa county is actually the #1 country in america right now for population growth

Have you ever been to the phoenix/scottsdale area? Youre never gonna get the cultural anywhere in the world that youll get in NJ. But phoenix/scottadale is awesome. Actually going there on friday.

Youre entitled to your opinion but ton of people disagree. Maricopa county is actually the #1 country in america right now for population growth
[thumb2]
Everyone has their idea of the best place to live.
The Phoenix/ Tempe/ Scottsdale area are close to and considered great tourist destinations, has a great winter climate and close to the lakes and Mountains for a summer get away , along with being a fairly short drive to San Diego beaches.
There are arts and culture events for visitors and residents to enjoy making the illusion of not having those types of venues wrong.
Along with having a fairly good college sports environment because of ASU and the Phoenix area has MLB,NFL and NBA franchises for those inclined towards pro sports.

If you want NYC entertainment, you must be ready to enjow East Coast winter conditions like Phoenix residents have learned to enjoy summers with your AC on and lounging around pools in the middle of heat waves :D

But like the old saying: "to each their own."
Hot dry heat, muggy humility with your heat, cold /rainy/ snowy winter days or move to Hawaii where I hear the weather is fine most days of the year [winking]

Last edited:
Reactions: RocktheRac
When is the last time you heard of someone moving from Phoenix/Scottsdale to NJ?

There’s a steady migration to AZ from the New England, Middle Atlantic and Midwest states, not to mention CA.

Yes, been there a couple of times (including the 2005 Insight Bowl and a 2-week trip all over AZ/UT). Love the natural beauty of Arizona, but color me unimpressed with the area culturally, compared to here. I've traveled a lot, but I love NJ and wouldn't live anywhere else. Plus, there's no friggin' way I'd want to be in that heat for months and not have any winter to speak of - and driving an hour to a mountain doesn't count - I want snow in my yard. I'll stick to visiting.

Am I the only one who doesn't think St. John's is a "good" college basketball job anymore?

I'm old enough to remember the glory days of Looie, Mullin, etc. back in the heyday of the Big East in the 1980s. But now SJU just seems like a commuter school that plays most of its home games off-campus -- granted, in the World's Most Famous Arena -- but when compared to a college that has a campus arena, I just don't think it compares.

Plus, the past is the past, and does anybody really see SJU resurrecting those glory days, in a conference that's almost a mid-major? (one great program in Nova, a few good programs in Marquette, SHU, and Xavier, and the rest just average programs that occasionally will have good years).

Objectively, just don't see why Bobby Hurley would leave ASU for SJU under these circumstances. There will be better jobs that open on the East Coast, and despite the PAC-12's woes this year, it's still a power conference that is just in a down cycle.

Am I the only one who doesn't think St. John's is a "good" college basketball job anymore?

I'm old enough to remember the glory days of Looie, Mullin, etc. back in the heyday of the Big East in the 1980s. But now SJU just seems like a commuter school that plays most of its home games off-campus -- granted, in the World's Most Famous Arena -- but when compared to a college that has a campus arena, I just don't think it compares.

Plus, the past is the past, and does anybody really see SJU resurrecting those glory days, in a conference that's almost a mid-major? (one great program in Nova, a few good programs in Marquette, SHU, and Xavier, and the rest just average programs that occasionally will have good years).

Objectively, just don't see why Bobby Hurley would leave ASU for SJU under these circumstances. There will be better jobs that open on the East Coast, and despite the PAC-12's woes this year, it's still a power conference that is just in a down cycle.

This. 100% agree. Hurley is better off waiting for Duke or if he doesn’t get that, Cuse, MD or another ACC school.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
“I've traveled a lot, but I love NJ and wouldn't live anywhere else.”

This one gave me a chuckle. The NJ Chamber of Commerce couldn’t ask for a more positive statement from a long time resident. Biased as hell, but to each his own as they say.

I also see ASU as a better job than SJU. Hurley can build that program within a P5 conference until its time to take the next step. SJU and the BE is not the next step up for Hurley imo. He should be aiming higher.

Last edited:
When is the last time you heard of someone moving from Phoenix/Scottsdale to NJ?

There’s a steady migration to AZ from the New England, Middle Atlantic and Midwest states, not to mention CA.
NJ has never had a problem with people wanting to move here, often some of the wealthiest people in the country. I'd love it if the population density would drop slightly but it doesnt seem to be in the cards no matter how much the actual residents complain.

G
NJ has never had a problem with people wanting to move here, often some of the wealthiest people in the country. I'd love it if the population density would drop slightly but it doesnt seem to be in the cards no matter how much the actual residents complain.
Give the state finances a quick look and you can see this is not correct.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
G

Give the state finances a quick look and you can see this is not correct.
Population density and the other relevant metrics are not directly correlated to the state finances. Maybe you're missing the point I was making, which is just that NJ remains an extremely popular and desirable place to live. Again, current and former residents having issues and complaints doesnt change that.

You must have taken a nap over the past decade. NJ has a huge problem right now. The state has lost billions of dollars in taxable income

Reactions: bac2therac
You must have taken a nap over the past decade. NJ has a huge problem right now. The state has lost billions of dollars in taxable income
You're also not reading what I actually wrote, but this isnt the current events board and I dont feel like getting into this shit with you guys. Enjoy

Does Arizona prefer Taylor ham or pork roll?

Tim Cluess has a very good and interesting track record, however will his playing style translate well in the Big East? That would be my one concern.

The comment stated that the "wealthiest people in the country" are the ones moving to NJ and therefore keeping the population density high. I think the poster has it backwards.
No I think he’s right. I was curious and a quick Google search shows New Jersey median income has risen for 5+ consecutive years.

Reactions: dkostus
[roll]a discussion about Hurley taking the St.John's job or staying at ASU turns into I hate Arizona, but it's not as bad as New Jersey thread.
Which leads me to conclude this thread is just a:

Historically Cluess has had top Iona teams in the MAAC, but his team finished 17-16 this season in a weak conference.

Hurley brings a lot more juice to SJU in recruiting. But Cluess will bring in transfers as he did at Iona.

Reactions: MADHAT1
C'mon... Hurleys have burned NJ programs multiple times, including RU more than once. What happened to SJU was predictable and nothing to crow over

It sure is ironic that Kareem Hunt, Adrian Petersen, Bruce Pearl, Rick Petino and a whole host of others get second chances, but Mike Rice, Ray Rice and a few others do not.

Both Ray Rice and Mike Rice had video of their misdeeds, not sure if the others you list had any. Video lives on forever and can be replayed anytime a possible offer comes up, reviving said memory

If what Ray had done just been reported as a story with no video I would have wagered he would have been back in the NFL within a year

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT