ADVERTISEMENT

St John's..Mullin to resign, Bobby Hurley up next?

Not necessarily...ASU is sort of limited. More exposure at SJU...but the kicker is SJU is just a stop over for Hurley...he will easily bolt to ACC. SJU needs to know this wont be long term

Would think he would be on short list to replace Coach K if he goes another 3 4 years

He actually took a program that was 60-40 (60.0%) the three years before he got there, each year with a winning record and each year postseason. He's turned that into 73-56 (56.5%), two postseasons, but two losing records in four years. Pardon me for not being bowled over.

As to SJU being "storied", well maybe if you are our age, but not in the past quarter of a century.

Here's the funny thing: Hurley isn't good enough for St. John's and St. John's isn't good enough for Hurley.

You can bet that right now they are assessing the heat they would get by hiring Pitino. Anything less than nuclear, and the Rickster might sleaze right in. In which case, it will take two years for them to get back to storied. (Don't really think they'll hire him.)

New York press is like no other (See how much they drag Rutgers down compared to the press in other parts of Country) You really think Pitino would last in New York without getting on the back pages of papers for negatives as much if not more than the positives he would bring. Press here is ruthless. Negative sells Positive doesnt

I think the initial replacement stays in the family.

Multiple candidates along with Hurley and it will depend how the others fare record wise in the coming year or two.

There's a bunch of them.

Personally I wouldn't want to be the guy who replaces Coach K.

Would rather be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced Coach K.

I have heard some items on this search but they're changing so quickly, it makes no sense to even add a post or two on this. People are out and supposedly back in and vice versa, that it's best to let it run through the process.

New York press is like no other (See how much they drag Rutgers down compared to the press in other parts of Country) You really think Pitino would last in New York without getting on the back pages of papers for negatives as much if not more than the positives he would bring. Press here is ruthless. Negative sells Positive doesnt
Winning also sells. That is why I think they are kicking this around over in St. John's land. I wouldn't want him. I don't buy into the "we should cheat really cleverly and win" argument.

And Bobby Hurley at Duke? It is the premier coaching spot in college basketball, and one of the top five in all of basketball. Hurley isn't in the top 20 of coaches, maybe just barely the top 50. Why on Earth would Duke take him? They're starting out at the Brad Stevens level, and working down from there.

Reactions: bac2therac
Winning also sells. That is why I think they are kicking this around over in St. John's land. I wouldn't want him. I don't buy into the "we should cheat really cleverly and win" argument.

And Bobby Hurley at Duke? It is the premier coaching spot in college basketball, and one of the top five in all of basketball. Hurley isn't in the top 20 of coaches, maybe just barely the top 50. Why on Earth would Duke take him? They're starting out at the Brad Stevens level, and working down from there.
I tend to agree. Not one coach in the Coach K tree has proven themselves worthy of taking over a program that stature of Duke’s.

Both Ray Rice and Mike Rice had video of their misdeeds, not sure if the others you list had any. Video lives on forever and can be replayed anytime a possible offer comes up, reviving said memory

If what Ray had done just been reported as a story with no video I would have wagered he would have been back in the NFL within a year
Fair point. Video did seal fate.

I had said a few years down the road Yes he has a lot to prove. But he is a beloved some with no blemishes Lots of connections and has coached up lesser talent. Give him Duke talent I can see him coaching on the level of some others. But again we arent talking tomorrow

I had said a few years down the road Yes he has a lot to prove. But he is a beloved some with no blemishes Lots of connections and has coached up lesser talent. Give him Duke talent I can see him coaching on the level of some others. But again we arent talking tomorrow
To me, he's got to prove he can really do it, and he hasn't so far. I think he's got one play-in round win in the NCAA's in six seasons of coaching. But, hey, who knows?

I think the initial replacement stays in the family.

Multiple candidates along with Hurley and it will depend how the others fare record wise in the coming year or two.

There's a bunch of them.

Personally I wouldn't want to be the guy who replaces Coach K.

Would rather be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced Coach K.
Probably turns into a UCLA situation. Maybe we all get lucky and after K is gone Duke has a season like the 2001-2002 UNC season.

Reactions: shields
how about Thad Matta...what is he up to, you cannot deny his success at OSU...do not know his issues that he had but this is a guy that can certainly win at SJU

how about Thad Matta...what is he up to, you cannot deny his success at OSU...do not know his issues that he had but this is a guy that can certainly win at SJU
Think he had a back issue that made it harder for him to recruit ( was said when he was pushed out of OSU :The energy required to fuel him through the intense recruiting battles at the high-major level was more difficult to summon.) and had to endure some pain coaching during the game because of it (“I went through a year where I couldn’t walk. I couldn’t take my shoes off after a game. I couldn’t take my pants off after a game,” Matta said. “The stuff I had to go through in terms of being serviceable …)
Thad Matta, his brilliant career derailed by health issues, faces an uncertain future | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...-smith-replacement/1ukvoms8p6h341fluuxdaat6uf

Coach k was a decent coach at west point before Duke hired him. He of course has made it into a bigger job, but it has always been a good one.

Put Duke resources and panache in some average coaches pocket and he can excel.

Reactions: MOBFreehold
Coach k was a decent coach at west point before Duke hired him. He of course has made it into a bigger job, but it has always been a good one.

Put Duke resources and panache in some average coaches pocket and he can excel.
Bill Foster ( RU HC 1963-71 ) put the program on the path to success , that Krzyzewski built on and improved into one of the top programs in College MBB today

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Hoagies, pizza, bagels and all bread products will never be the same when you leave NJ area.

http://jerseynews.website/20-things-that-happen-when-a-jersey-person-leaves-jersey/

Spent 6 years in New Brunswick--last two years of HS and four at RU. Enjoyed the experience, but couldn't wait to get out of NJ. Since then. three decades in Md near DC and now down here in Fla. Dozens and dozens of pizza places advertising "NY style pizza". Not one was the real thing. All in the crust. However, there are TooJay's, 31 of them all throughout Florida, that serve great pastrami piled high on kosher rye. Plenty of bagel shops, and a Carson's Pub, twin of the same eatery in Brooklyn, that serves a very good Taylor's Pork Roll--egg optional.
TL

Spent 6 years in New Brunswick--last two years of HS and four at RU. Enjoyed the experience, but couldn't wait to get out of NJ. Since then. three decades in Md near DC and now down here in Fla. Dozens and dozens of pizza places advertising "NY style pizza". Not one was the real thing. All in the crust. However, there are TooJay's, 31 of them all throughout Florida, that serve great pastrami piled high on kosher rye. Plenty of bagel shops, and a Carson's Pub, twin of the same eatery in Brooklyn, that serves a very good Taylor's Pork Roll--egg optional.
TL
Bagels in Southwest Florida are embarrassingly bad. Great pizza is very hard to find as well. Bread, in general, is awful. Actually went to a high end Italian restaurant in Naples recently that charged for bread.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Bill Foster ( RU HC 1963-71 ) put the program on the path to success , that Krzyzewski built on and improved into one of the top programs in College MBB today

I think you’re forgetting Vic Bubbas. Three final fours during his tenure at Duke in the 60s. Won four ACC tournaments. Dean Smith is quoted as saying that Bubbas taught us how to recruit.

Think he had a back issue that made it harder for him to recruit ( was said when he was pushed out of OSU :The energy required to fuel him through the intense recruiting battles at the high-major level was more difficult to summon.) and had to endure some pain coaching during the game because of it (“I went through a year where I couldn’t walk. I couldn’t take my shoes off after a game. I couldn’t take my pants off after a game,” Matta said. “The stuff I had to go through in terms of being serviceable …)
Thad Matta, his brilliant career derailed by health issues, faces an uncertain future | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...-smith-replacement/1ukvoms8p6h341fluuxdaat6uf

also the guy is 50 but looks 65

Francesca has been banging the drum for the Iona coach. Tim cluess is a guy that paid his dues and I hope he gets a shot at the big time.

I'm more interested in finding out who will be our new assistant coach to replace Young, not who will be the next SJU head coach.
But all I'm hearing is crickets.

It's been very very quiet for having one assistant coach spot and two scholarships open. Sure those might be related but still.

100% fine if that's the direction they go. He's a totally average coach IMO.

100% fine if that's the direction they go. He's a totally average coach IMO.
The past mid major coaches to get teams to the Final Four have been hired by much bigger programs than SJU.

I think he’s a good coach that proved he can succeed at a small religious school, but he will need assistants with great NYC ties to succeed at SJU.

Cluess’ lack of coaching defense probably hurt him, especially since Porter’s success was built on top notch defense.

Who knew that Iona would have a huge buyout? More afraid of Cluess than Moser. Interesting turn of events.

St. Johns still ticked Cluess transferred? Lou Carnesecca give the thumbs down? Cluess too old?

Reactions: RUJMM78 and shields
Looks like SJU has been left at the altar by Porter Moser, the Chicago Loyola HC.

Do they settle for Cluess or look elsewhere? Only 7 scholarship players on the roster so the next HC needs players immediately.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/16/porter-moser-rejects-st-johns-which-now-has-to-scramble/
On the Michael Kay Show, he said SJU couldn't pony up the $3 million to buy Cluess out of his Iona contract. Is that an indication of what's going on in the Big East outside of Nova?

Reactions: Knightmoves
On the Michael Kay Show, he said SJU couldn't pony up the $3 million to buy Cluess out of his Iona contract. Is that an indication of what's going on in the Big East outside of Nova?

They have Vitamin Water guy who bought out Lavin and sent Mullin away with another 4M.....there's a name trending for St John's but not sure how it will end up.

If Francesareally earns SJU to hire Cluess and his buyout is the problem, perhaps the sports Pope should put his money where his mouth is and pony up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT