ADVERTISEMENT

St John's..Mullin to resign, Bobby Hurley up next?

Couldn't pay me enough to live in the middle of the desert with broiling heat half the year and no winter, which some people like, plus, the Phoenix area sucks for culture and quality of life vs. NYC or even North Jersey - no comparison. Plus, professionally, a great SJU team will get more attention and ink than a great ASU team.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Its beautiful. Dry heat, no humidity. Give me 120 is AZ > 90 and humid in NJ.

Im not leaving ASU for SJU. SJU isnt a great job
I spent roughly a year on a gig out in Phoenix.. enjoyed it. Found the idea of "water stores" and "gullywash zones" a bit odd... saw planes grounded as someone mentioned.. and windshield pop out of parked cars.. but it was pretty pleasant overall. Thought Flagstaff was a fantastic area.. and hiked the Grand Canyon a couple times. I think it should be easy to recruit there.

Rob Evans best season was 2002-03 when he went 20-12 and made it to the 2nd round,never had another 20 win season as the Sun Devils HC in his 8 years at ASU

Herb Sendak's 2008-09 record of 25-10 and making it to the second round can be considered better that what Hurley has done so far record wise, but Bobby already, in 4 years, matched the number (2) of NCAA Tourneys Herb took ASU to in the 9 years he was there.

Hurley does have a ways to go to match Ned Wulk’s Sun Devils in 1962-63 (26-3) & 1974-75 ( 25-4) records, with both teams having an Elite Eight appearance with him as the ASU HC.

Hurley has put up his records at ASU in historically terrible P12 seasons. His best finish on KenPom is #49. Evans got ASU to #30 and Sendek got ASU to #15.

IMHO ASU deserved zero NCAA appearances the last 2 years.

Reactions: RU Mike73
Hurley has put up his records at ASU in historically terrible P12 seasons. His best finish on KenPom is #49. Evans got ASU to #30 and Sendek got ASU to #15.

IMHO ASU deserved zero NCAA appearances the last 2 years.

The PAC 12 won 4 games in the tournament this year far exceeding expectations.

Bobby Hurley is almost 50 (deal with it, people). Means he may have one more move in him. Would guess he
is not going to replace Coach K--maybe Woj? And if not him, maybe another former Duke assistant? ASU is more of a football school. Coming home to the Northeast to a storied program where basketball is king? Sounds like a winner. Hurley took a sub-500 program four years ago, and has been to the NCAA's two years running. He is intense, just as he was as a player. That will play well in NYC, even though the last great SJU coach, Louie Carnaseca, wasn't the intense type. Would think he would do well in the BE, and be able to recruit. SHU instead of SJU? Surely not.
TL

The PAC 12 won 4 games in the tournament this year far exceeding expectations.

3 plus a play in game

and please tell me that isn't your sole basis for judging a conference. Even with those wins, they still finish behind the AAC on KenPom and are basically a mid major.

Rothstein doesn't state that Hurley is interested in the position. Says he's at the top of SJU's List - just like Willard was at the top of the list for VTech. I can see Hurley coming back east. He's from this area. Think it would be a great hire for SJU and you can add an annual SJU - Uconn game to the schedule as well.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Slick Rick returning to MSG?

I could see that. I don’t see Hurley going to SJU. That’s a lateral move at best. He’s better off sitting tight at ASU, owning the P10 and waiting for a big time east coast job to open up.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
He's not wrong though. It's not about the kids remembering Bobby Hurley at Duke. It's about the Hurley name resonating with everyone around the kid, and it's about the connections he's been able to make with high school and AAU coaches, handlers, etc because of his father and his because of his own past.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Certain schools always recruit well and St John's is one of those schools. The question is whether Bobby Hurley can get this program to stop underperforming year in and year out. Take away a couple of games a year where SJU looks lights out and a couple where they completely no show.

The Big East almost lost another head coach this offseason, but it was potentially Marquette or SHU coaches in the rumor mill. St John's getting a Hurley to replace an underachieving Mullin, should in theory help the league overall.

PAC 12 will likely have 2 openings in UCLA and ASU. Be curious to see where both schools go to fill their spots.

I have no idea if this would be a serious consideration, but, Pitino mention here.

I can't find it online but Zags in Forbes is saying that the final act was Mullin went over the AD to the President to hire Mike Rice as replacement as lead recruiter. The Pres turned him down.

It depends on priorities for the Administration at St John's.

If it's about winning basketball games only then Pitino is your guy.

From a recruiting perspective is hurley stronger on the east coast? If he is trying to get NY / NJ kids they may not want to go to school 2500 miles from home.

Va tech is a 6 hour or so drive

of course Hurley can have his eyes on the prize of his alma mater

Looks like Pitino is lobbying hard for St. Johns. Actually, he would recruit better and obviously, he is a far far better coach than Hurley. AND, at 66, this would certainly be his last stop before retirement at around 74-75, so St. Johns would probably get 8 years from him.

Rick Pitino says he would bring St. John’s back to ‘elite level’

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/09/rick-pitino-says-he-would-bring-st-johns-back-to-elite-level/

Chop, tell me you are saying this in jest. This is Rick Pitino, who got free used cars for players when he was an assistant at Hawaii way back in the 1970's. The Adidas scandal was not his first at Louisville; he was suspended for 5 games after it was discovered his DBO had been procuring strippers and prostitutes for players for maybe a few years. And, of course, he has been no choirboy in his own personal life. A messy affair with the wife of an assistant coach; the time he had sex with a waitress on a restaurant table. And who knows what he did at UK? That record wouldn't sit too well with the administration of St Johns. Maybe Ricky can surface at an outlaw-type school.
TL

Chop, tell me you are saying this in jest. This is Rick Pitino, who got free used cars for players when he was an assistant at Hawaii way back in the 1970's. The Adidas scandal was not his first at Louisville; he was suspended for 5 games after it was discovered his DBO had been procuring strippers and prostitutes for players for maybe a few years. And, of course, he has been no choirboy in his own personal life. A messy affair with the wife of an assistant coach; the time he had sex with a waitress on a restaurant table. And who knows what he did at UK? That record wouldn't sit too well with the administration of St Johns. Maybe Ricky can surface at an outlaw-type school.
TL

Just posting that he is pushing hard for the job.

It's not my job to judge others. Never have, never will.

I can't find it online but Zags in Forbes is saying that the final act was Mullin went over the AD to the President to hire Mike Rice as replacement as lead recruiter. The Pres turned him down.

It wasn't Zags, it was JP Pelzman.

Bobby Hurley is almost 50 (deal with it, people). Means he may have one more move in him. Would guess he
is not going to replace Coach K--maybe Woj? And if not him, maybe another former Duke assistant? ASU is more of a football school. Coming home to the Northeast to a storied program where basketball is king? Sounds like a winner. Hurley took a sub-500 program four years ago, and has been to the NCAA's two years running. He is intense, just as he was as a player. That will play well in NYC, even though the last great SJU coach, Louie Carnaseca, wasn't the intense type. Would think he would do well in the BE, and be able to recruit. SHU instead of SJU? Surely not.
TL
He actually took a program that was 60-40 (60.0%) the three years before he got there, each year with a winning record and each year postseason. He's turned that into 73-56 (56.5%), two postseasons, but two losing records in four years. Pardon me for not being bowled over.

As to SJU being "storied", well maybe if you are our age, but not in the past quarter of a century.

Here's the funny thing: Hurley isn't good enough for St. John's and St. John's isn't good enough for Hurley.

You can bet that right now they are assessing the heat they would get by hiring Pitino. Anything less than nuclear, and the Rickster might sleaze right in. In which case, it will take two years for them to get back to storied. (Don't really think they'll hire him.)

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
Couldn't pay me enough to live in the middle of the desert with broiling heat half the year and no winter, which some people like, plus, the Phoenix area sucks for culture and quality of life vs. NYC or even North Jersey - no comparison. Plus, professionally, a great SJU team will get more attention and ink than a great ASU team.

Agree with you completely. I can’t wait until the day I retire and leave NJ forever but Phoenix is even a worse place.

Spent 2.5 years in Tempe at ASU and the weather was great. it was hot but not the muggies like here. Sure there is no winter like here but 1 hr up the mountains you can go skiing. Temps at night in Oct /Nov did get quite chilly in the 40's. Don't make it seem it was a broil roaster. And the co eds are 100% better than here.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT