ADVERTISEMENT

St John's..Mullin to resign, Bobby Hurley up next?

I can’t stand Cluess. He’s made a career of taking questionable characters and his teams play no defense. His teams are usually filled with offensive minded 6-5 to 6-7 players who are perfect for the MAAC.

There were rumors about hiring him before Pikiel and that would have been the end of my season tickets if it had happened.
I do wish his teams were better defensively, if for no other reason than it would be interesting to see how far they could get in the NCAA Tournament. Questionable characters? Do his kids get into trouble off the court?

Lemme get this straight...part of the reason you can't stand Cluess is because he recruits players who are perfect for the MAAC? He recruits players who are perfect for the conference that he is in, and have taken his team to four consecutive NCAA Tournaments in a one-bid conference, and that is part of the reason that you can't stand him?

Aight Mr. Magoo. I respect your feels.

I can’t stand Cluess. He’s made a career of taking questionable characters and his teams play no defense. His teams are usually filled with offensive minded 6-5 to 6-7 players who are perfect for the MAAC.
I do wish his teams were better defensively, if for no other reason than it would be interesting to see how far they could get in the NCAA Tournament. Questionable characters? Do his kids get into trouble off the court?

Lemme get this straight...part of the reason you can't stand Cluess is because he recruits players who are perfect for the MAAC? He recruits players who are perfect for the conference that he is in, and have taken his team to four consecutive NCAA Tournaments in a one-bid conference, and that is part of the reason that you can't stand him?

Aight Mr. Magoo. I respect your feels.

Personally, I don’t care what he does at Iona. He does well with the type of player he gets. He runs a very questionable program, but Iona hasn’t seemed to care. It looks like St. John’s cares more than I gave them credit for, so good for them.

When he was rumored to be I the mix for the Rutgers job, there were entire threads on the rap sheets of some of his players and the fact that he took players who were basically kicked off other teams. There were also several articles on him giving players 2nd and 3rd chances, and players still getting into trouble at Iona. I haven’t heard much about it the last couple of years, so perhaps he cleaned it up a bit.

Personally, I don’t care what he does at Iona. He does well with the type of player he gets. He runs a very questionable program, but Iona hasn’t seemed to care. It looks like St. John’s cares more than I gave them credit for, so good for them.

When he was rumored to be I the mix for the Rutgers job, there were entire threads on the rap sheets of some of his players and the fact that he took players who were basically kicked off other teams. There were also several articles on him giving players 2nd and 3rd chances, and players still getting into trouble at Iona. I haven’t heard much about it the last couple of years, so perhaps he cleaned it up a bit.
Interesting. Good to know

Russ, Saint John's plays most of their games in an old, large high school size gym. Is that a turnoff to most recruits? The only major school I can think of that gets away with this is Villanova,but they have years of success and coaching stability.

Last edited:
Sju also plays there big games in Msg, and drew amazingly well the past 2 years. Both shu games were virtual sellouts. I had to scalp 2 tears ago, nothing at all in the box office. This year had about 18k too. That balances our the home gym pretty well.

Russ, Saint John's plays most of their games in an old, large high school size gym. Is that a turnoff to most recruits? The only major school I can think of that gets away with this is Villanova,but they have years of success and coaching stability.
I have only covered the recruitment's of a handful of kids who visited St. John's and none of them had anything negative to say about their facilities.

According to Wikipedia Carnesecca Arena was built in 1961. There are plenty of college basketball arena's in use today that are as old, if not older. I don't know any high schools with a gym that holds 5k let alone 5,600. I'm sure at least one exists, I've just never heard of that high school. The RAC has what, an 8k capacity? So 2,400 more people. Carnesecca Arena is not huge, but I've seen games on TV when it is packed, it sounds loud in there and the fans are right on top of the court. Their practice facility looks really nice and, more importantly, it is a basketball only facility. That means a lot to the kids I've interviewed (all kids not just St. John's recruits). Add in that they do play some games in MSG and it all adds up to nice facilities.

1556044600987_Johnny.jpg

I have only covered the recruitment's of a handful of kids who visited St. John's and none of them had anything negative to say about their facilities.

According to Wikipedia Carnesecca Arena was built in 1961. There are plenty of college basketball arena's in use today that are as old, if not older. I don't know any high schools with a gym that holds 5k let alone 5,600. I'm sure at least one exists, I've just never heard of that high school. The RAC has what, an 8k capacity? So 2,400 more people. Carnesecca Arena is not huge, but I've seen games on TV when it is packed, it sounds loud in there and the fans are right on top of the court. Their practice facility looks really nice and, more importantly, it is a basketball only facility. That means a lot to the kids I've interviewed (all kids not just St. John's recruits). Add in that they do play some games in MSG and it all adds up to nice facilities.

1556044600987_Johnny.jpg
The RAC keeps getting smaller and smaller as they continue to remove seats. It once held more than 9K. One-time AD Pernetti had a plan to remodel the RAC and it would have reconfigured the seating capacity to 10K.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT