ADVERTISEMENT

St John's..Mullin to resign, Bobby Hurley up next?

How about King Rice from Monmouth. Puts out a decent product each year. Reached NCAAs recently. Knows the recruiting landscape. Buyout cant be much and you could save money on salary. If it works out genius if not they have bought time to find right fit

This SJU coaching search is starting to resemble a Rutgers coaching search. Wasn’t Kevin Bannon #6 or 7 on the list when he was hired by RU?

Last edited:
where's all that Big East drawing power--sorry it's not was it was and won't get better

How about King Rice from Monmouth. Puts out a decent product each year. Reached NCAAs recently. Knows the recruiting landscape. Buyout cant be much and you could save money on salary. If it works out genius if not they have bought time to find right fit

[roll]

Reactions: toby83
I think Monmouth would gladly help the King go and might just give the Red Storm a dowry, instead of demanding compensation, to take him.
Rice's Hawks are 25-41 over the last 2 years

This SJU coaching search is starting to resemble a Rutgers coaching search. Wasn’t Kevin Brannon #6 or 7 on the list when he was hired by RU?

Yes, That is a fan base with a vastly overrated sense of their program's importance having to live within reality.

Where have you gone 1985!
Oh, wait... Mullen is taking it with him.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Rothstein on twitter, worse coaching search I have ever seen. St.john's.

Cluess was never agreed upon by all the SJU board of trustees

Makes more sense but it gives the perception he didn’t want The job. The title of the article is “Iona’s Cluess latest to turn down St. John’s”. Looks like another kick in the teeth for the Johnies.

Reactions: shields
A very Rutgers like MBB coaching search.

Remember when John Beilein left us at the altar? That’s one HC I wish we would have gotten.

Now that the UMBC coach has turned down SJU, where do they go for choice # 5?

Last edited:
Does anyone realize what is going on at SJU is what happens at most northeast schools? The administration micromanages the situation into crap. Cluess was a good choice, but the administration stepped in and said no. I sure that's no different than what Rutgers experienced once or twice in the past. This approach may be the reason why basketball in the northeast isn't what it once was back in the day.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Boyle would be a slam dunk. He’s a helluva a coach and has been out-recruiting people for years.

If I were SJU, bite the bullet and go after Rick Pitino - skeletons and all. He grew up in NYC;knows the area and he'd kill it for St Johns.

If I were SJU, bite the bullet and go after Rick Pitino - skeletons and all. He grew up in NYC;knows the area and he'd kill it for St Johns.
I think he’s the biggest BS artist out there. But he’d kill it no doubt.

Per many, Mike Anderson to be next coach at SJU. Jeff Goodman thnks it's an awful hire as Anderson has no NY ties and underachieved at Arkansas.

Would have been a great hire. All of the St. John's kids in the transfer portal probably would have withdrawn their names from the portal.

Mike Anderson is an odd hire indeed.

Strange hire, but better than Cluess.
Why is it better than Cluess? I was rooting for Cluess. His teams are usually pretty good, granted it's the MAAC, but I do wish they were better defensively.

Strange hire, but better than Cluess.
If he brings in a top recruiter that can mine the NY metro area, Anderson might wind up a success as the Red Storm HC.
I know Slice (Barry Rohrssen) worked under Mullin at St John's but parted ways with him ( quite/fired?) in 2016 but don't know where he's at now and think he might be someone who could get the NYC talent looking St.John's way if he still in the coaching profession.

The more I think about it, the more that I think this is a sneaky good hire for SJU.

Anderson has been a head coach for 17 years and has 9 NCCA tournament bids, an Elite Eight (Missouri), a Sweet 16 (UAB), while never having a losing record.

Not sure there was a serious candidate that could match his credentials. I agree he’ll need an Assistant or two with strong local ties, but he’s a winner and by all accounts a very good guy.

I know his UAB teams drove me crazy.

Why is it better than Cluess? I was rooting for Cluess. His teams are usually pretty good, granted it's the MAAC, but I do wish they were better defensively.

I can’t stand Cluess. He’s made a career of taking questionable characters and his teams play no defense. His teams are usually filled with offensive minded 6-5 to 6-7 players who are perfect for the MAAC.

There were rumors about hiring him before Pikiel and that would have been the end of my season tickets if it had happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT