ADVERTISEMENT

Status of Significant Projects Thread

RUseaweed

All Conference
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2007
Herndon, VA via Hillsborough, NJ
They seem to put these out quarterly and there's always something new in there. I'll try to keep this updated when I notice they've posted a new one.

Here's the most recent one as of 15-December.

Highlights:
The chemistry building is 26% complete. Here are some pictures from their website:

NOV_15_SE.jpg

NOV_15_NE.jpg

The Engineering building (104000sqft) is still going through design and will be done in Summer 2018

They are adding a third floor to the Waksman Institute for $6M and an additional 7410sqft

The Pharmacy Building addition will be done in Fall 2017 and add 5700sqft

A third floor to Waksman's huh? I hope they don't ruin the building's facade. It's a really nice looking building next to the gold course there.

A third floor to Waksman's huh? I hope they don't ruin the building's facade. It's a really nice looking building next to the gold course there.

It's a new third floor for an auxiliary building, not the main one.

PS - what side of the existing building is the new Chemistry building on? Is it opposite the Library of M & D?

Good god Richard Weeks Hall is hideous. did the architects all drop acid before drawing up the plans?

It's a new third floor for an auxiliary building, not the main one.

PS - what side of the existing building is the new Chemistry building on? Is it opposite the Library of M & D?
From the Quad area (between SERC, the main Engineering building, and the Chemistry building) it is away from the quad (so behind the chemistry building). They tore down a couple of buildings back there to make room and are redoing a lot of the traffic patterns around there.

And yeah I should have specified - they aren't redoing the historic looking one that is by the golf course. I'd be curious to know if they decided it would be cheaper or faster to add a third floor rather than build a whole new building. Maybe it didn't require as many levels of approval.

Good god Richard Weeks Hall is hideous. did the architects all drop acid before drawing up the plans?
I completely agree. Stop trying to make it look "modern" or artistic. The original designs (below) had more brick and were perfect. Why they're going with this awfulness is beyond me. But whatever, build the thing quickly. We are sorely lacking space for our engineers.

Rear%20View.jpg

Gateway%20View.jpg

Here's a thread with more discussion specific to the Engineering building.

Engineering Hall looks better in the current iteration than the last one but this initial one is still best. It is still in the same new location right (by McCormick Hall)?

Engineering Hall looks better in the current iteration than the last one but this initial one is still best. It is still in the same new location right (by McCormick Hall)?
Agreed. And yup next to McCormick.

On a non Engineering note, here are some renderings of the new Pharmacy building addition.

First Floor
First_Floor.jpg

Second Floor
Second_Floor.jpg

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
They posted the Spring Status of Significant Projects report a week ago but it was presented on 23 March. Click here to read it.

Nothing particularly note worthy aside from calling out the new Baseball/Softball practice facility. It will be done in Fall 2016.

Chemistry building is now 38% complete and the Pharmacy addition is 12% complete.

The Engineering website has some new pictures of Weeks engineering hall. I still think it looks hideous but I'm at the point of "whatever" - we need a new building so go do it already.

Here's a shot that shows how it will look next to the Biomedical Engineering building and the Busch Suites. It could be a nice little quad area if they do it properly. When I was there, that whole area was rocky and pretty undesirable for any kind of athletic activity.

Rutgers%20University%28Kevin%20Herrick-Hilary%2905.jpg

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Updated 25 Jan. Link found here.

Highlights:
  • Chemistry building 65% complete, still targeting Fall '17 for completion
  • Engineering building on track for Summer '18
  • Waksman 3rd floor done by Summer '18
  • Pharmacy expansion is 40% complete, still on track for Fall '17
There are also a couple of RBHS improvements called out here. Nothing more than $17M, but I believe it marks the first time we've improved any of that space since we acquired it a couple of years ago.

They just released another one. I thought they might, considering the official approval of the RWJB Performance Center, but it isn't in there. They do call out the upgrades to the practice fields though, and have updated all of the other projects:
  • Chemistry building 78% complete, still targeting Fall '17 for completion
  • Engineering building on track for Summer '18, 7% complete
  • Waksman 3rd floor done by Spring 2019 (slipped by a quarter)
  • Pharmacy expansion is 55% complete, still on track for Fall '17

Just released a new one. This one includes the NBPAC center, RWJ Barnabas facility, and infrastructure upgrades.

- Weeks Hall is back to a Fall 2018 delivery
- NBPAC and RWJ Barnabas will be done by Summer 2019

Otherwise pretty ho-hum of an update. Hopefully they start getting traction on re-designing College Ave soon and will be able to include that.

Co-gen plant on Busch - does that mean the smokestacks are going away there? I hope so. Next stop College Ave.

Yeah, the existing facility on Busch has been a co-gen plant for years so they must have needed the stack for emission purposes. Who knows what the planned upgrades will entail.

So I forgot to update this in September when they released the newest one, and they are going to release another one sometime in the next couple of weeks. But, here is the one from September:

https://ipo.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/F & F Status of Significant Project 9-18-18 meeting.pdf

New to me:

Waksman Institute expansion (Page 5) for $9M
Cook building remodel (Page 9) for $12M
Camden Baseball fields (Page 11) for $7.5M

The one that will come out soon will have the Rodkin Center on it.

Looks like our D3 program in Camden will have a better baseball facility than our Big Ten program.

Looks like our D3 program in Camden will have a better baseball facility than our Big Ten program.

It's seriously pathetic. Baseball is another one of those programs which should be significantly better than it is but it won't happen without better leadership and a little investment. It's nearly impossible to compete for recruits when numerous high schools have better facilities.

I really hope something is in works for this program

It's seriously pathetic. Baseball is another one of those programs which should be significantly better than it is but it won't happen without better leadership and a little investment. It's nearly impossible to compete for recruits when numerous high schools have better facilities.

I really hope something is in works for this program
It's pretty awful. Especially considering it looks like RU-Camden will be getting lights.

A lot of bashing based on bad information. The Camden project is multi-purpose. They're not building a 7.5 million baseball facility. It's going to have a baseball field but also softball, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey and will be used by both Rutgers and local students/community.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT