ADVERTISEMENT

The shine is off Coach Schiano

Most blowouts happen by ranked squads. Not mediocre squads playing with their 2nd string qb and rb, on the road, as an underdog.

The fact you seem to be defending yesterday’s performance is mind boggling. Schiano and the team shit the bed..why can’t you seem to agree.

I am not defending it. I am saying the analysis of it is moronic.

Specifically, the idea that blowouts matter more than record or that being 4-2 is problematic.

Which is why you're not answering my point on Flood. Again, it's a good troll.

And Wisconsin will likely be ranked by end of the month anyway. They are not mediocre.

I am not defending it. I am saying the analysis of it is moronic.

Specifically, the idea that blowouts matter more than record or that being 4-2 is problematic.

Which is why you're not answering my point on Flood. Again, it's a good troll.

And Wisconsin will likely be ranked by end of the month anyway. They are not mediocre.

Yes. Flood was was blown out frequently. None I’m his his first year, but a few his 2nd 3rd dnd 4th year..yes. Again, mostly by ranked squads

Yes. Flood was was blown out frequently. None I’m his his first year, but a few his 2nd 3rd dnd 4th year..yes. Again, mostly by ranked squads

Maybe you missed it but he was blown out by terrible teams plenty. Including UConn in 13, Pitt in 12, etc. His last year overall a few times.

We are contending much better under GS. It's not to say we're never blown out, because again, even though you're saying otherwise without proof, most teams are from time to time, but it's not an every week thing like it was with Ash and often with Flood.

Maybe you missed it but he was blown out by terrible teams plenty. Including UConn in 13, Pitt in 12, etc. His last year overall a few times.

We are contending much better under GS. It's not to say we're never blown out, because again, even though you're saying otherwise without proof, most teams are from time to time, but it's not an every week thing like it was with Ash and often with Flood.

Im not sure what your definition of “blown out” is. We lost by 11 to UConn in 2013 in a very close game.

Yup the Pitt loss was terrible but still had a chance to
Play for a bcs bowl afterwards…and I wouldn’t call that Pitt team..who made a bowl in 2012..terrible either

Im not sure what your definition of “blown out” is. We lost by 11 to UConn in 2013 in a very close game.

Yup the Pitt was terrible but still had a chance to
Play for a bcs bowl afterwards…

Those teams were god awful. That is significantly worse than losing to Wisconsin.

UConn was 3-9 in 2013...Wisconsin already has more wins less than halfway through October.

This is the problem with your argument. Flood did awful against everyone; Greg does well against crap teams and a range of good to bad versus good teams. Both are not perfect, but one is better here in obvious land.

Those teams were god awful. That is significantly worse than losing to Wisconsin.

UConn was 3-9 in 2013...Wisconsin already has more wins less than halfway through October.

This is the problem with your argument. Flood did awful against everyone; Greg does well against crap teams and a range of good to bad versus good teams. Both are not perfect, but one is better here in obvious land.

How and why did this morph into a flood vs Greg argument???

Greg also lost to a 4-8 Nebraska team, a 5-7 Maryland team and a 3-9 northwestern team in the last 3 years. So to argue he does well vs crap teams isn’t too accurate

And saying a coach that got Rutgers to # 16 did “awful against everyone” is so dumb it’s tough to even have a conversation.

Last edited:
Show your work?
You think we kept all our returning starters because they love the culture ? Or do they value the RU degree more than all the rest ? Did Wimsatt come here for free? Of course he’s spreading plenty of NIL around to his preferred players and positions. The QB should make the most NIL on most teams. Yesterday showed ‘you get what you pay for’ at the most important position on the team. There was certainly no bidding war for a guy who was shown the door at Minnesota.

Last edited:
Greg said going into the season we finally have the depth to make a real difference. I guess not..
Felter goes down and the running game disappears. Powell misses time, Toure is out for the year and the defense can't stop the run. So far, the real difference has been 3 players.

Reactions: newell138
Schiano may get to 8-9 wins with a once in a generation talent like Rice, etc but he still ain’t contending for national championship.
To be fair, a championship game is the least of our concerns right now. We're not anywhere even close to making it to the playoffs at this point, and we have to figure out what went wrong these past few games before we can play at even an average B1G level.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I would not call UW and VT a patsy. Would you?

One game doesn't negate the prior ones...that's the issue I have and I think that prior seasons have borne this out. We had WTF games (and TBH, losing to Wisconsin IMO isn't that caliber) and bounced right back.

Give me a GS season where the obituary was written in October...I'll give you a bowl game lol.
Of course they’re not patsies but at the same time, they’re teams that we should have rightful expectations to beat in year 5. Remember when Schiano 2.0 started- the excuse was, these aren’t “his guys”. Now in year 5 that excuse no longer exists. The entire team is “his guys”. He identified, recruited, and has “developed” all of them. And we still don’t have O and D lines that are competitive within our league. We got pushed around by mediocre Nebraska, and again by a mediocre Wisconsin team. Over the past two weeks, we’ve needed to get 1 yard on fourth down and on the goal line in multiple instances. And we have a very good back in Monongai. We came up empty in at least 3 instances in the red zone because we couldn’t move anyone off the LOS. Some of this is that we don’t have the horses but a lot of it is that we have a predictable, pedestrian OC. How many times can you run unsuccessfully into the teeth of the defense when they damn sure know what’s coming??

Let’s be real about this! Rutgers has the worst support of any school in sports by their own state except Northerstern which is private. NJ people are self loathing would rather root for out of state teams than support their own. I get it that every time you think RU is turning the corner they get a snack down as a constant reminder of futility! The fans that support Rutgers are great! They don’t get alot for their loyalty. Unfortunately there are just not enough of them!
I'd argue the flagship universities of the 6 New England states have weaker support than Rutgers. The most comparable New England state to New Jersey in population is Massachusetts, 9 million versus 7 million. Like Rutgers, UMass faces competition from major league pro teams in all sports.

Rutgers outdraws UMass by more than 2x in both football and basketball. Yesterday, UMass played at home versus #21 Missouri of SEC and attendance was 16,000. The basketball team gets 3,000-5,000.

The other 5 New England states have less in common with New Jersey. But they have more people than the Dakotas and far fewer spectators in their college football stadiums.

Reactions: NY AGENTMAN
Felter goes down and the running game disappears. Powell misses time, Toure is out for the year and the defense can't stop the run. So far, the real difference has been 3 players.
Every team has injuries, ours have been very untimely and unfortunate. That said, by year 5, Greggie needed to build some competent depth wher the drop off in production is not so glaring. Obviously he’s failed.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Every team has injuries, ours have been very untimely and unfortunate. That said, by year 5, Greggie needed to build some competent depth wher the drop off in production is not so glaring. Obviously he’s failed.
Not to mention zero adjustments to address the situation. Yesterday number 3 for Whisky ran thru the right guard tackle hole over and over and over again. I know we lost Lewis 2nd play but not once did they bring a linebacker up into that hole to help. Just sat in that same 4-3 set all game. Extremely unimaginative defense with zero guessing to be had by other teams offense

Reactions: BossNJ
I had us down for at least one likely two, bad, WTF losses. We got one out of the way. Now we can get back to a reasonable expectation of 8-4 which is still progress.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Again, 8+wins was possible if we were fully healthy. Possible, not expected. People always forget that the other teams are all also working really hard to win 8+ games and not everyone can win.

We are going to have to have good luck to win 8+ games in pretty much any season forever unless we somehow manage to out-recruit teams enough to elevate RU to elite status in the Big Ten. We aren’t close to elite yet and nobody should’ve expected us to be given where we started.

Seriously. In Athan we got a serviceable QB who wasn’t going to win or lose us games, but do just enough to keep us competitive. We’re still years away from being elite. But now years away from being a dumpster fire.

Reactions: mildone
I had us down for at least one likely two, bad, WTF losses. We got one out of the way. Now we can get back to a reasonable expectation of 8-4 which is still progress.
That would be great but 4-2 finish with Minny who beat USC. USC themselves there, Illinois, and away at a Maryland program we've absolutely sucked against lately.. good luck to us.

Reactions: BossNJ
That would be great but 4-2 finish with Minny who beat USC. USC themselves there, Illinois, and away at a Maryland program we've absolutely sucked against lately.. good luck to us.

4-2 down the stretch is definitely achievable. Crawl, walk, run. We’re just walking now.

FWIW, I’m not buying the Illinois hype. I think it’s all pretty even after the elite down to Purdue. I don’t see any juggernauts besides PSU, OSU and Oregon.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Come on dude. Which people were saying that?

Feel free to drag up a prediction thread, most said 7-9 from what I saw an that is still extremely possible.

BTW, "just 8" wins would get us our best bowl ever in all likelihood so I'm not sure the rationale to play it down. What is the right rubric for comparison here?
As I clarified in an earlier post, I wasn’t talking about anyone on this forum. Legit “talking heads “ had said we were a dark horse for the CF Playoff. It was widely publicized, not sure how you missed it.

I felt that it was largely overblown, but at the same time, part of me was like, “I hope I’m wrong angd they’re right.”

Clearly not.

Reactions: gchicago
4-2 down the stretch is definitely achievable. Crawl, walk, run. We’re just walking now.

FWIW, I’m not buying the Illinois hype. I think it’s all pretty even after the elite down to Purdue. I don’t see any juggernauts besides PSU, OSU and Oregon.
I know it is achievable. No disagreement. I just don't think it is very likely watching last 14 quarters.

We can't afford anyone better.
like I said before and when Hobbs brought back Greg.
Schiano is among the best choices when it comes to being the RU HC
Why???
The reason is Rutgers will not pay what it takes for one of the best candidates to come
and Greg is probably the best of the rest because he knows what Rutgers needs and demands
that Rutgers does it or he'll not come.
Other also rans would take the job but not really improve the program because they woulds just take what Rutgers offered and find out the support they received wasn't enough to turn the program into a winner .
Hell, if Hobbs could have found someone to take the job with what he was offering, Schiano would be home right now or a DC at a top P-4 program, maybe for a pro team.

We know the reason Greg was hired and it wasn't because Hobbs told him the door was open, Hobbs closed the door and RU fans smashed it down so Schiano could become the HC.
Greg is building the same type program he did his first go-round , a program built for minor bowl appearances but to many offensive flaws to be considered a program worthy of major bowl bids and a far cry from playoff contender.
That's why there were a lot of RU ans against him coming back, they want someone that can build an elite program.the sad fact is Rutgers won't pay the price to do that and that means Greg is as good as it gets until RU starts funding the program like the elites do and the boosters step up like the ones the top programs have supporting them.

We'll see programs like Rutgers step into the elite limelight occasionally, but drop off the elite stage quickly because like one hit wonders the support isn't there to keep them on top

Seriously. In Athan we got a serviceable QB who wasn’t going to win or lose us games, but do just enough to keep us competitive. We’re still years away from being elite. But now years away from being a dumpster fire.
I think we need to move on from having such low expectations. How many other first and second year coaches at middling programs having turned things around? Look what Cignetti has done at Indiana. They literally stunk last year. He’s in his first year and already they have a dynamic offense. Greg’s offenses always look like they’re straight outta the 50’s and 60’s. To consistently win the way he wants to win, we need the horses up front. He wants to be Michigan without the talent. Bad formula

Why???
The reason is Rutgers will not pay what it takes for one of the best candidates to come
and Greg is probably the best of the rest because he knows what Rutgers needs and demands
Other also rans would take the job but not really improve the program because they woulds just take what Rutgers offered and find out the support they received wasn't enough to turn the program into a winner .
Hell, if Hobbs could have found someone to take the job with what he was offering, Schiano would be home right now or a DC at a top P-4 program, maybe for a pro team.

We know the reason Greg was hired and it wasn't because Hobbs told him the door was open, Hobbs closed the door and RU fans smashed it down so Schiano could become the HC.
Greg is building the same type program he did his first go-round , a program built for minor bowl appearances but to many offensive flaws to be considered a program worthy of major bowl bids and a far cry from playoff contender.
That's why there were a lot of RU ans against him coming back, they want someone that can build an elite program.the sad fact is Rutgers won't pay the price to do that and that means Greg is as good as it gets until RU starts funding the program like the elites do and the boosters step up like the ones the top programs have supporting them.

We'll see programs like Rutgers step into the elite limelight occasionally, but drop off the elite stage quickly because like one hit wonders the support isn't there to keep them on top
Fully agree

Why???

Like the post. Disagree with assertion, "Rutgers will not pay what it takes for one of the best candidates to come."

Rutgers football program pays competitively. See the facts below. Northwestern and USC are private schools and do not publicly disclose data.

The 3 columns are football program staff compensation in 2023.
Column 1 is total football staff comp, column 2 is football coach comp*, column 3 is football support staff comp

1 Ohio State $28,267,940 $21,812,341 $6,455,599
2 Michigan $26,658,364 $20,210,506 $6,447,858
3 Penn State $24,047,741 $17,911,079 $6,136,662
4 Rutgers $22,257,746 $13,608,571 $8,649,175
5 Michigan State $22,150,696 $18,079,629 $4,071,067
6 Iowa $21,443,220 $16,352,462 $5,090,758
7 Oregon $19,326,956 $15,790,073 $3,536,883
8 Wisconsin $18,847,243 $14,229,040 $4,618,203
9 Minnesota $17,799,387 $14,066,295 $3,733,092
10 Washington $16,922,430 $13,436,752 $3,485,678
11 Nebraska $16,684,289 $12,274,915 $4,409,374
12 UCLA $15,755,289 $12,689,040 $3,066,249
13 Illinois $15,549,228 $11,592,132 $3,957,096
14 Indiana $13,467,899 $11,203,231 $2,264,668
15 Maryland $13,380,006 $10,847,568 $2,532,438
16 Purdue $13,310,659 $10,371,335 $2,939,324

* Head coach plus 10 assistants allowed to recruit off campus, other coaches are counted as support staff

Army (23), Navy (25) and Nebraska (25 in coaches poll) all ranked now.
I would rather watch SA offenses than RUs mutant offense that's part pro set and part option.
Watching RU backs run to LOS with Athan joined to their hips is a strange play.
At Wake Forest the QB and RB meshed in a delay and that worked for passes.

I dont see the RU version doing anything more than distracting RU backs.
Brown - has to stay high to accommodate Siamese QB - got his knee bent back after he and Athan finally separated.
Defense didn't seem confused about anything

hylw4sg.gif

Reactions: BossNJ and TM94goRU
Coach Schiano has the staff he wanted, he can't be let off the hook for their failure. I start with S@C Coach Jay Butler and go to KC next.

While Coach Schiano is well thought of, there is a reason he ( with exception Tennessee) never landed another HC job. In the process the other schools looked at who we played. Well it comes out Coach was the beneficiary of some soft schedules. However it is worse with a deep dive. That is the number of times we lost a very winnable game with a lot riding on it. Whether it was a Uconn or Cincy, we never got a piece of the Conference or a big bowl game. Thus never really maximize a season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Koko
Like the post. Disagree with assertion, "Rutgers will not pay what it takes for one of the best candidates to come."

Rutgers football program pays competitively. See the facts below. Northwestern and USC are private schools and do not publicly disclose data.

Column 1 is total football staff comp, column 2 is football coach comp*, column 3 is football support staff comp

* Head coach plus 10 assistants allowed to recruit off campus, other coaches are counted as support staff
Also just as points of reference GS’ new contract which averages 7M/yr puts him in the vicinity or above coaches like Fickell, Lanning, Gundy, Whittingham, Narduzzi, Brohm, Bielema among others

I stand corrected 🥴, but there has to be a reason the good ones won't come and even though Hobbs seemed not to want him ,until forced , he couldn't bring in anyone else.

Shine, Schiano, shine.
3-3 for the next 6 games will put a little shine in, 4-2 will make him shine brightly .
2-4 will have a dulling effect and anything less will have the darkness remove any trace of the shine he had showing when the season started

Rutgers hasn't brought in a big name coach who is a proven winner at the highest level since CVS. That was in 1995, 29 years ago. Before coming to Rutgers, CVS had 23 straight winning seasons - including nine straight NCAA appearances at Iowa - before one losing season.

CVS stated in her autobiography one reason she left Iowa for Rutgers is she wanted her sons to grow up in a different environment than isolated Iowa.

Maybe unique family connections are the x factor in bringing big shot coaches to Rutgers. It helps explain why Bill O'Brien accepted the Boston College football head coach job. Bill was B1G coach of the year at Penn State, a winning NFL head coach across 9 seasons, and successful offensive coordinator under Nick Saban at Alabama.

Here is last month's long ESPN article by Pete Thamel on Bill O'Brien's decision to take BC job.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I will give the negatoids a point on injuries. They happen and we should be ready for them.

OTOH, we have been exceptionally snake bitten in terms of injuries.

Here is what I would say...I would accept injuries as a rationale to lose yesterday. I would not accept them versus UCLA or other bad teams. We should absolutely make a bowl game, and if we god forbid do not, then I would accept and understand the saber rattling over GS.

But what our fans do is jump the gun and declare the season over at 4-2...have to let things play out.
I think most fans, at least most who regularly post on this forum, tend to have a fair degree of something like a sports-related bipolar disorder. They get too quickly too excited when winning early games against much weaker opponents than we will face in conference play. Then, when we have bad games, they tend to become overly upset and insulting towards the coach, QB, other players, etc.

Anyway, the team will do as well as it can to win games despite injuries. Just like the other teams. But the reality is we were never going to be markedly better than last season because we haven’t added enough depth and quality and experience to what we had last season. Our new QB was never going to be a huge upgrade based on his past performance. An upgrade, perhaps, but not massively so. If we were 100% healthy, we’d be a lot better than we are. But still not necessarily better than most other Big Ten teams. On par, not better or worse.

But we are severely hindered by the current injuries to our starters because the drop off from our best, injured, players to their backups is still quite a lot. Recruiting has been better than before, but hasn’t been so much better than our opponents all 5 years of GS’s second tenure that we have tons of high quality depth yet.

People can blame whoever they want and whine all they want. That’s the reality of the situation.

Well, pre-injuries we’re no longer a dumpster fire. But we’ve seen our backups trying to compete with Wisconsin and it wasn’t pretty. Hard to say, after just one game, if that will improve or continue.

As I said earlier, we have a pretty big drop off after the starters. Because, as GS likes to say, we are a developmental team, not a team loaded with superstars like OSU. Development usually takes time, as does building out quality depth such that backups are nearly as good as the starters.

Also, in the NIL era, backups who prove to be really good become prime poaching targets by teams with better NIL funding.

This season could become bleak if most of the inured players, who were already injured before the game, or who got hurt in the game, are unavailable next week, But maybe the backups, with a full week of reps as starters, will surprise us next week. Hoping for that but I won’t expect it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUGiddy777
I think most fans, at least most who regularly post on this forum, tend to have a fair degree of something like a sports-related bipolar disorder. They get too quickly too excited when winning early games against much weaker opponents than we will face in conference play. Then, when we have bad games, they tend to become overly upset and insulting towards the coach, QB, other players, etc.

Anyway, the team will do as well as it can to win games despite injuries. Just like the other teams. But the reality is we were never going to be markedly better than last season because we haven’t added enough depth and quality and experience to what we had last season. Our new QB was never going to be a huge upgrade based on his past performance. An upgrade, perhaps, but not massively so. If we were 100% healthy, we’d be a lot better than we are. But still not necessarily better than most other Big Ten teams. On par, not better or worse.

But we are severely hindered by the current injuries to our starters because the drop off from our best, injured, players to their backups is still quite a lot. Recruiting has been better than before, but hasn’t been so much better than our opponents all 5 years of GS’s second tenure that we have tons of high quality depth yet.

People can blame whoever they want and whine all they want. That’s the reality of the situation
Mike Tyson, the leading philosopher of our day, noted “everyone’s got a plan ‘til they get punched in the mouth.” What happens after separates winners from losers.

Schiano sticks with his same plan. Saturday showed the result. An utterly lifeless team that’s probably losing faith in him already. It’s not about injuries. Many of the players on D don’t seem to care. If you paid attention you’d notice. No heart. No fire. No focus. Hopefully that changes next Saturday.

The once effective power running game isn’t anymore, even against teams that haven’t stopped the run. It’s long past time to get aggressive and unpredictable. He won’t, and the players and fans will suffer from his sickening and insufferable hubris until his undeserved contract runs out.

Mike Tyson, the leading philosopher of our day, noted “everyone’s got a plan ‘til they get punched in the mouth.” What happens after separates winners from losers.

Schiano sticks with his same plan. Saturday showed the result. An utterly lifeless team that’s probably losing faith in him already. It’s not about injuries. Many of the players on D don’t seem to care. If you paid attention you’d notice. No heart. No fire. No focus. Hopefully that changes next Saturday.

The once effective power running game isn’t anymore, even against teams that haven’t stopped the run. It’s long past time to get aggressive and unpredictable. He won’t, and the players and fans will suffer from his sickening and insufferable hubris until his undeserved contract runs out.
The true leading philosopher of our day, mildone, notes that Shelby is comically obsessive with his deep hatred of head coach Schiano.

Reactions: koleszar
The true leading philosopher of our day, mildone, notes that Shelby is comically obsessive with his deep hatred of head coach Schiano.
Shelby hates seeing the same putrid, feeble, loser offense game after game…even in anomaly wins.

Shelby appreciates Mild’s third-person (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery) but he ain’t no modern Apostle.

Reactions: RU Cheese
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT