Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
Malcolm - B minus Third match saved his day - needs confidence
Sammy - B minus Talent is there - high school funk won't work in the Big Ten
Zach - B - solid for first time on the mat in 2 years
Jo Jo - B plus - solid not spectacular
Santos - C plus - one very good match - one bout could get out
Angelo - B - hard to tell - Anderson looked out of shape - Angelo needs to attack more
Van Brill - A minus looked comfortable at 157
Donner - C plus - needs to finish the match -
Turley - B - solid for first college bout
Gello - B minus -can't give up big leads - needs to open up & be more aggressive
Olivieri - B - Did what was expected -
Janzer - A - solid - our best wrestler today
Lightner - D minus - was he ill, nervous, or out of shape
Pagano - B plus - looked solid coming off injury
Esposito - B minus - showed some potential - needs to be more aggressive
Colucci - B - Performed well

Reactions: gogs7
People being too hard on JoJo. He’s a true freshman wrestling against kids that are older than him who also are former state champs. Plus JoJo isn’t going to blow people out. He’s a defensive wrestler who is going to grind you down when he gets on top. More similar to Suriano than he is to Ashnault.

I’m not sure what people are expecting out of JoJo this season, but Ashnault for example was a better wrestler and also a year older the first time he officially wrestled for Rutgers and he still dropped 8 matches on the year. If JoJo goes like 25-12 on the year and wins a couple NCAA tournament matches, that’s a very successful season.

Angelo - B - hard to tell - Anderson looked out of shape - Angelo needs to attack more
Gello - B minus -can't give up big leads - needs to open up & be more aggressive
I’d give Angelo a bump.. he wrestled a smart match against a d1 caliber wrestler, Ryan Anderson, whom last year was #1145 hs wrestler and #12 class recruit.

People being too hard on JoJo. He’s a true freshman wrestling against kids that are older than him who also are former state champs. Plus JoJo isn’t going to blow people out. He’s a defensive wrestler who is going to grind you down when he gets on top. More similar to Suriano than he is to Ashnault.

I’m not sure what people are expecting out of JoJo this season, but Ashnault for example was a better wrestler and also a year older the first time he officially wrestled for Rutgers and he still dropped 8 matches on the year. If JoJo goes like 25-12 on the year and wins a couple NCAA tournament matches, that’s a very successful season.
This is Aragona's first college competition, so he's still feeling things out, and he will be a greatly different wrestler in January, even than he is now. Yesterday's competition didn't show you much of anything.

Only one of the guys he faced yesterday was a state champion, however:

Dushaj (LIU): NYS 5th as a senior
Bruffy (Centenery): NJ DNP
Ealy (UPJ): PA 5th, 1st

Aragona is going to be fine, but overstating his competition yesterday doesn't do him any good. The most important guy that knows he needs to get better is him. And, I'm sure he knows it.

This is Aragona's first college competition, so he's still feeling things out, and he will be a greatly different wrestler in January, even than he is now. Yesterday's competition didn't show you much of anything.

Aragona is going to be fine, but overstating his competition yesterday doesn't do him any good. The most important guy that knows he needs to get better is him. And, I'm sure he knows it.

Spot on.

Every once in awhile the pa guy is right

Reactions: pawrestlersintn
This wasn't intended to be a Jo Jo tread. I gave him a B plus which is pretty damm good. Was interested in the grades for all the guys. I do agree that Angelo could be given a bump. Just didn't think Anderson look like the guy that wrestled last year.

When Malcolm Robinson does shoot, it is quick.
I don't think he shoots enough
He seemed very similar in freestyle this off season.
I am not sure about the weight cut, it is the first time he is cutting that weight and that may be a problem for him.
I always thought he struggled to get out from the bottom.

I know the competition wasn't B10 quality, but like Jo Jo effort on top.

Janzer showing a D2 Champion how things are done in D1 was a treat.

149 might be a struggle this year. Santos and Angelo appear to be polar opposites on the wrestling match (Mix and match throughout season?)

I wanted to see Lipari wrestle :(

I always liked Pagano (and Correnti) and thing either one of them will have a decent season and should qualify for the big dance

I think Alvarez will learn from the matches today and will be good this year.

Princeton Open today.
Need Aguilar to perform well...hoping he can wrestle one of the big dawgs there.
Pat Glory is wrestling there today.

This wasn't intended to be a Jo Jo tread. I gave him a B plus which is pretty damm good. Was interested in the grades for all the guys. I do agree that Angelo could be given a bump. Just didn't think Anderson look like the guy that wrestled last year.
Anderson has always had that stocky/pudgy build. He looked the same body-wise all of last season when he wrestled at 145:

bcanderson.jpg

Reactions: KidDagger
Disagree with this premise. It can absolutely work. He'll need to develope more fundamental attacks to supplement the funk, but when you are as good as he is in unorthodox positions it's a plus.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Anderson is a spark plug and represents the hope for all the dad bods out there .. what do we Think when we see Suriano vs fix wrestle given no other info ? Just two guys no offense circling around. Gotta see a bigger sample size of other wrestlers they face this year to judge how good that win was

Grello has wrestled the same exact way going on three years now. Every year we hear has he's improved and is going to open it up. Then match time comes and he shuts it down. I was high on Joe early in his career and thought he'd take the next step. But now I think what you've seen from Joe is what your going to see from Joe these last two years. Which isn't bad per se, it's just not going to be taking shots or being aggressive.

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT