ADVERTISEMENT

Tyus Battle - why it is tough for RU to get the top NJ kids

RUfinal4

Heisman Winner
Apr 24, 2006
While Tyus was never serious about Rutgers and looked at perennial NCAA tourney schools what is happening in this tourney is an example why RU struggles to get the top NJ kids that are 5 stars or high 4 stars.

Duke is in the tourney 20+ straight years and Cuse is a former champ with a long history in the tourney.

Tyus is the team leader in this tournament with 3 wins and a sweet 16 appearance. I

RU needs to over perform for a couple of years with a couple of tourney berths and tourney wins. We would still be competing against URI and Hurley for kids since he makes the tourney each year.

The top kids will still go to the schools that make it each year. A down year at Cuse or Louisville is the NIT. Seton Hall consistently makes post season tournaments and is in our back yard.

Reactions: cRURah
Disagree 100%.

Let's recruit the right type of players that are a fit to what Rutgers really is right now. Nobody wants to hear this but HS Tyus Battle is above Rutgers and that is OK. Let's recruit the level below him that fit the criteria of what we are looking for. For the most part, we have done (or try) to do the opposite.

We're going to have to do it with 3 star and the occasional 4 star kids until we break through and have a couple years of sustained success AND coaching continuity. Same goes for football.

That's why its really really hard to do. We can't wait around for some brave group of talented kids to choose Rutgers because its their home state. Ain't gonna happen. Some of us maybe thought it magically would once RU went into the B1G, but with the exception of only a very small handful of individuals - it hasn't and appears won't.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
He isn't------was just throwing it out there.

But Md in there for the Lewis kid

If you look at the type players from mid majors in the Tournament and compare them to our roster, we're not close to that ability level. It's become a game of shooting threes, but the other guys can all handle the ball well enough to get to the basket and finish. Right now all we have is Corey, but he throws up some bad shots to finish drives too. Our wings are all terrible at that part of the game. Have to hope some of the new guys already have that ability or we're not moving upward. Coaching helps, but there has to be something there from the get go. If we can find 3 stars that fit the bill, that's probably the more realistic approach. Other teams at our level find these players, but maybe we're over thinking it.

Only our 2 can catch and shoot from the perimeter with a reasonable amount of space. Put 3 guys minimum on the floor who can catch and shoot and we move to 100th best offensive team (being simplistic here)

If we were ranked 100th in offensive efficiency and kept what we do defensively a constant (I know a BIG IF)......

Our adjusted OE is 109.0
Our adjusted DE is still 96.4
differential is +12.6 which is 60 overall.

Shave another 1 point somewhere you get to 53rd and our company is
48 Oklahoma 10 seed
49 SD state 11 seed
50 Arizona St 11 seed
51 Rhode island 7 seed
52 Marquette
53 Alabama 9 seed
54 OK State
55 W Kentucky
56 UCLA 11 seed
57 Nebraska
58 NM St 12 seed

Is the only thing that keeps us back offensively is lack of perimeter shooting? NO
Would adding perimeter shooting negatively effect offensive rebounding? PROBABLY

Reactions: higgins3
Rutgers will have to rely on Coach Ps assessment of 3-4 star recruits

I dont care where they come from
but (Lakeland) Florida seems to have worked out well so far ;-)

We're going to have to do it with 3 star and the occasional 4 star kids until we break through and have a couple years of sustained success AND coaching continuity. Same goes for football.

That's why its really really hard to do. We can't wait around for some brave group of talented kids to choose Rutgers because its their home state. Ain't gonna happen. Some of us maybe thought it magically would once RU went into the B1G, but with the exception of only a very small handful of individuals - it hasn't and appears won't.
Such a approach hasn't worked for decades because league opponents have recruited higher level talent.Its difficult for Rutgers to even achieve a winning season which should tell fans that the talent simply isn't comparable to B1G rivals.Wishing for meaningful change is easy but reality always stops it from happening.Bottom line there is no sure fire answer to change the status quo.

Some of us maybe thought it magically would once RU went into the B1G, but with the exception of only a very small handful of individuals - it hasn't and appears won't.
Rutgers Administration and BOG fumbled and bumbled their way into the B1G conference. From the AD to the coaches they hired. I really don't think another school could ever reach this level of ineptness in the history of college athletics ever again.

What was supposed to be a boon turned into a bust. Only because we have an Administration and BOG that have no idea how to run big time college athletics. Instead of gearing up for entry, they did the opposite demanding budget cuts. It was, as usual self-inflicted wounds. The damage has already been done and the hole was dug deeper making the climb that much harder.

Last edited:
Rutgers Administration and BOG fumbled and bumbled their way into the B1G conference. From the AD to the coaches they hired. I really don't think another school could ever reach this level of ineptness in the history of college athletics ever again.

What was supposed to be a boon turned into a bust. Only because we have an Administration and BOG that have no idea how to run big time college athletics. Instead of gearing up for entry, they did the opposite demanding budget cuts. It was, as usual self-inflicted wounds. The damaged has already been done and the hole was dug deeper making the climb that much harder.

The fact that it took almost 3 years from the time of the Big Ten announcement to even get started on a practice facility still drives me nuts - so much time was wasted. That thing should have been built by now. Nov. 20, 2012 was a long time ago.

Koleszar, your post is the best post in years on any RU message board. All I can say about Rutgers ineptness in athletics—from this diehard RU fan—is ineptness of the BOG, President, ADs, and Coaches. I agree 100 per cent. Pathetic situation.

Agree 100%. Got to get the high 3* kids and build on that and change the perspective about the program. Then the better players will come. At the same time keep the coaches happy to have the continuity so recruits see that and want to come and play for a coach who isn't going to get up and go.

What was supposed to be a boon turned into a bust. Only because we have an Administration and BOG that have no idea how to run big time college athletics. Instead of gearing up for entry, they did the opposite demanding budget cuts. It was, as usual self-inflicted wounds. The damaged has already been done and the hole was dug deeper making the climb that much harder.
I agree but think the marching orders came from Christie down. It sucks but the only thing that seemed to matter was making That subsidy disappear

Tyus never had RU on the radar. He had big time coaches coming to see him at Gill. Jordan was seen there but so where the big time guys. RU was never a contender.

Local,it is coming. I love the live practice center webcam. Every piece of concrete is one step closer. Once the weather breaks,it will be great watching the steel fly up.Hobbs said that will be done by late May.

During this tourney I have seen multiple references to schools taking the Gonzaga path.. which is redshirting everyone and having plenty of 3 point shooters. Start and play 5th and 4th year players ONLY.. the idea being you cannot recruit GREAT players.. at least initially.. so play the most experienced and older and well-practiced players that teams you oppose.

I have also seen references to shooting threes from everywhere, all the time. Never turn down an open three. (of course you must recruit and develop shooters for that).

I'd like to see us try that.

The problem, I think, is that as the OP said.. we really need multiple years of success.. and Gonzaga was in a lesser conference when they pulled this off. Of course they recruit better now... based on their success. We might not be able to consistently get to postseason play.. in the Big Ten.. even if we execute that plan well. But its been long enough. We need to get back to the dance.

During this tourney I have seen multiple references to schools taking the Gonzaga path.. which is redshirting everyone and having plenty of 3 point shooters. Start and play 5th and 4th year players ONLY.. the idea being you cannot recruit GREAT players.. at least initially.. so play the most experienced and older and well-practiced players that teams you oppose.

I have also seen references to shooting threes from everywhere, all the time. Never turn down an open three. (of course you must recruit and develop shooters for that).

I'd like to see us try that.

The problem, I think, is that as the OP said.. we really need multiple years of success.. and Gonzaga was in a lesser conference when they pulled this off. Of course they recruit better now... based on their success. We might not be able to consistently get to postseason play.. in the Big Ten.. even if we execute that plan well. But its been long enough. We need to get back to the dance.
27 years of trial an error haven't worked at Rutgers.Might require a new plan of action that includes a sense of urgency to accomplish a winning record next season.The futility cycle must end now for Pikiell and staff to really gain in roads in attracting higher level recruits.

27 years of trial an error haven't worked at Rutgers.Might require a new plan of action that includes a sense of urgency to accomplish a winning record next season.The futility cycle must end now for Pikiell and staff to really gain in roads in attracting higher level recruits.

What's a sense of urgency...what signs would you say would show a sense of urgency as opposed to "Ehhhh, if we win, we win" because I think there was urgency to do it this year, but two missteps and some injuries kept it from happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT