ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. soccer fails to qualify for World Cup for first time since 1986

Big blow for the sport here, especially for the millions of youth playing the sport. $$$$

I don't know if you can overstate how bad a blow this is for the sport in this country. The only time the nation becomes aware of soccer is during World Cup years and now it will be 8 years (at least) between appearances. All the benefit of Pulisic is basically wiped out. The move to Arena looks to be a mistake.

It could be worse, Argentina is on the brink of qualification also. If they don't make it, it is a total embarrassment for their country.

I watched the game and USA did not deserve to win.
The field was almost unplayable, but that is not an excuse (USA did play in a snowstorm).
What gets me is 2 of the top teams BOTH lost (Mexico and Costa Rico)
USA had a 93% chance of advancing before match (The only results that would have stopped USA happened)

Soccer has grown in the USA, but this is a big detriment.
The casual fan will not watch the Premier league or the Bundesliga (To watch Pulistic)
I know I watch Premier league every weekend, but I don't know of any of my friends who do the same.

MLS has helped, but still needs to grow their development leagues.
Pulistic went go Germany at age 16 to help his development.

Pulisic is from the area of PA where I grew up. He is a generational talent, imo, and is being wasted on the USNT. My condolences on watching the EPL. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Bundesliga is the place to be. Better teams at the top and more competitive top to bottom than the other major Euro leagues. La Liga is like 3 or 4 good teams and a bunch of drek. Same with Serie A.

Reactions: R U Crazy
I don't know if you can overstate how bad a blow this is for the sport in this country. The only time the nation becomes aware of soccer is during World Cup years and now it will be 8 years (at least) between appearances. All the benefit of Pulisic is basically wiped out. The move to Arena looks to be a mistake.

It could be worse, Argentina is on the brink of qualification also. If they don't make it, it is a total embarrassment for their country.

I would dump Arena NOW and hire Tab today. No reason to play games. Get it done...NOW. Great opinion piece here by Tony Meola:

http://nypost.com/2017/10/11/former-us-world-cup-star-how-i-would-fix-the-national-team/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT