ADVERTISEMENT

Vedral’s greatness

We’ll have to agree to disagree. In my view, with the O struggling even in this win, turnovers are death. ^ And V is far less likely, as demonstrated in games with all 3, ^ to throw INTs.

Incidentally, I actually think Ryan was even more of a crucial factor in the win than Brown. He made NFL class catches on a few Vedral passes. Vedral did okay to put the ball where it could be fought for. But those passes were not great.

Thing is, Simon and Wimsatt both showed surprisingly poor accuracy this season as well. It’s not like they were more accurate than a fully healthy Vedral has been prior to this season. Makes me wonder what’s going on in practices - what kind of QB coaching is happening.
But were we struggling with Sam in there? Not so much.

^ Btw, #0 had an INT that was dropped.

But were we struggling with Sam in there? Not so much.

^ Btw, #0 had an INT that was dropped.

You are nuts. It was not even close to an interception. For Indiana to catch that ball would’ve been beyond acrobatic. It was tipped while the defender was in the air falling to the ground. If your going that route over 75% of Simon’s passes count as INTs. There are many that he’s been fortunate on. He throws mostly 50 / 50 balls with an occasional few good passes offset by awful interceptions right to defenders when pressured.

You are nuts. It was not even close to an interception. For Indiana to catch that ball would’ve been beyond acrobatic. It was tipped while the defender was in the air falling to the ground. If your going that route over 75% of Simon’s passes count as INTs. There are many that he’s been fortunate on. He throws mostly 50 / 50 balls with an occasional few good passes offset by awful interceptions right to defenders when pressured.
Well that’s what I was told by people on here. The ones who know everything. 😉

We’ll have to agree to disagree. In my view, with the O struggling even in this win, turnovers are death. And V is far less likely, as demonstrated in games with all 3, to throw INTs.

Incidentally, I actually think Ryan was even more of a crucial factor in the win than Brown. He made NFL class catches on a few Vedral passes. Vedral did okay to put the ball where it could be fought for. But those passes were not great.

Thing is, Simon and Wimsatt both showed surprisingly poor accuracy this season as well. It’s not like they were more accurate than a fully healthy Vedral has been prior to this season. Makes me wonder what’s going on in practices - what kind of QB coaching is happening.

Vedral’s best play of the game is getting very limited attention. Throwing that ball away on the 3rd and long blitz on the opening drive of the second half and not taking a sack (or throwing a pick) turned out to be huge. It turned out to be the difference between being up one score and two late. A sack or intentional grounding penalty would’ve put us out of FG range.

Plum B

cfgjgqi.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Lots of hate for the guy that is the winningest BIG QB in rutgers history . He got his 4th BIG win today to surpass nova and rescigno .
Some of you need to realize this . If guys like ray Lucas and Brantley are in our hall of fame , from way worse teams …vedral is gonna get in too. But he gets killed on this board . See link below .

Ray Lucas was an NFL starter. Please don’t compare the two.

Can’t believe this is even a discussion. He’s not a good college QB and hasn’t accomplished anything significant. Not wins, not yards, not TDs. Nothing. He is not a threat in any way. Defenses crowd the box and dare him to throw downfield because he can’t and doesn’t. Has he ever just once thrown to a wr in space and gotten even 1 YAC ? Amazingly, no. Maybe a few YAC with Langan, but never once to a wr. 0 YAC. Jet sweeps aren’t passes.

He may be the best we have right now, which is very damning re: qb recruiting.

Unfortunate, but entirely true. Am sure a great 25 year old, but not a talented player.

If there is even one other team he’d start for, please advise….

Last edited:
Comparison was for play at Rutgers. What someone does after or before rutgers doesn’t factor
You think Ray got a shot in the league because of his combine? But if you want to look at stats instead of just being logical -

Lucas only RU player to throw 40 TDs (43) and rush for 15 TDs. 514 completions for 5,896 yards (led the Big East in passing, total yards and TD responsible for one year - can you see Noah doing that?)

Noah - 17 TDs, 335 completions for 3,353 yards. 4 rushing touchdowns.

I can keep going, but it’s clear their time on the banks is not comparable in any way.

You think Ray got a shot in the league because of his combine? But if you want to look at stats instead of just being logical -

Lucas only RU player to throw 40 TDs (43) and rush for 15 TDs. 514 completions for 5,896 yards (led the Big East in passing, total yards and TD responsible for one year - can you see Noah doing that?)

I can keep going, but it’s clear their time on the banks is not comparable in any way.
Yes ray’s stats are better . But ray was not a great player here . He was in a qb controversy every year . His record was poor against weaker competition. Vedral is getting wins in the BIG. Ray’s senior year was so bad the coach got fired . If ray is a hall of famer , vedral is going to be in the discussion especially if he gets us to another bowl .

I have never seen a QB more disrespected by defenses than Vedral. They respect our wildcat more than Vedral. I respect his efforts for RU, but he has no arm. We should be developing Gavin or Simon.
Developing can happen without game play

Brian Fortay threw for 2374yds, 25TDs, 18Ints, 19 games in 2 years
Chris Laviano threw for 3102yds, 21TDs, 15Ints, 24 games in 3 years
Noah Vedral has thrown for 3353yds, 17TDs, 15Ints, 23 games into 3rd year.

I don't think anyone is putting Vedral, Laviano, or Fortay in RU Hall of Fame just because Vedral can accumulate passing yards. Fortay shared playing time with Ray Lucas in his Sr year and Laviano couldn't even sniff 3rd string on San Diego St in his 5th year, and most of his stats came from Leonte Carroo in Flood's last year.

Stop he wasn’t “great”. Everyone knows this. But he’s an adequate, smart game manager despite his deficiencies and for some reason a large contingency of our fan base thinks pretty much anyone can do that which is flat out wrong.
Curious.. ‘adequate’ for what goal ?

IMO Rutgers has enough former star football players and other athletes that he should not be highlighted on the scoreboard, on-field or in our HoF.

It’s a bad look, and suggests Schiano would be a hypocrite to espouse good character, etc while probably spinning RR as deserving a second chance, etc.

Whatever RR does behind the scenes helping others is fine, but I can’t endorse any public praise for him.

Sorry but disagree that he's nuts.

That throw is at around the 1 minute mark. If you don't think that's close to an interception, I don't know what to tell you. The defender undercut the route and is literally in front of the WR. If anything, he got TOO good of a jump on it. The fact that he didn't catch it is semantics. The whole narrative is that NV doesn't make these bad reads. That's an awful decision.

That throw is at around the 1 minute mark. If you don't think that's close to an interception, I don't know what to tell you. The defender undercut the route and is literally in front of the WR. If anything, he got TOO good of a jump on it. The fact that he didn't catch it is semantics. The whole narrative is that NV doesn't make these bad reads. That's an awful decision.
Nobody is saying Vedral never throws INTs or that he's perfect in any way. Those of us paying attention are saying he is less likely to do those things than the other two, at this time. It's not that he gives us a guarantee to win; just that given our current strengths and weaknesses, he gives us the best chance.

Our O is just not good enough to overcome turnovers and youthful mistakes which are generally much more frequent w/young players than older and more experienced players.

Reactions: wheezer
Ray belongs in based on our standards. Heck , grunniger is in the hall!
If vedral gets us to another bowl, he’s gonna be considered one day .

I actually wasn’t talking about that throw. There was another one that was batted away with no chance. That one could have been picked with a very good play but it certainly wasn’t a “dropped” reception.

Nobody is saying Vedral never throws INTs or that he's perfect in any way. Those of us paying attention are saying he is less likely to do those things than the other two, at this time. It's not that he gives us a guarantee to win; just that given our current strengths and weaknesses, he gives us the best chance.

Our O is just not good enough to overcome turnovers and youthful mistakes which are generally much more frequent w/young players than older and more experienced players.
I'm not disagreeing with you. but the post I responded to said "You are nuts. That wasn't even close to an interception." I was disagreeing with that specifically.

Reactions: mildone
I actually wasn’t talking about that throw. There was another one that was batted away with no chance. That one could have been picked with a very good play but it certainly wasn’t a “dropped” reception.
Ah fair enough. My mistake. I'm not recalling the one you're talking about then.

Ah fair enough. My mistake. I'm not recalling the one you're talking about then.

I’d have to find it. It was a tight space throw in to a tight end (Langan maybe?) in double coverage. The ball wasn’t well thrown (lacked zip as a lot of his throws did Saturday) but it was well placed in the sense that it would’ve been a near impossible catch for a defender.

Just shows How Bad Rutgers has been at the QB spot throughout History...Lucas was a pretty good College QB (Never Won Anything) and an NFL 7 year career back up that only started games when the #1 or #2 went down on bad teams. Rutgers BEST QB of All time (Lucas) equals a 1-AA Ivy League Princeton team 20 min down the road...Jason Garret played 9 seasons in NFL and had some big Wins (And 2 Super Bowl Rings)...If you cross the bridge Ray Lucas couldn't ever sniff The top Quarterbacks from 1-AA University of Delaware..When We get a Big time QB We will change History

Last edited:
I’d have to find it. It was a tight space throw in to a tight end (Langan maybe?) in double coverage. The ball wasn’t well thrown (lacked zip as a lot of his throws did Saturday) but it was well placed in the sense that it would’ve been a near impossible catch for a defender.
Ah yeah I think I know the one you're talking about now. It was closer than it would have been if there was some zip on it.

Nova would have had it if he had 4 B1G years vs 1, but hopefully Vedral could win us at least 2 more, that would really be a way to finish.
I don't doubt Vedral's toughness, but I would take Nova every day. Nova could hit receivers in stride, not making them have to stop or bend backward.

I don't doubt Vedral's toughness, but I would take Nova every day. Nova could hit receivers in stride, not making them have to stop or bend backward.
I would take final year Nova over Vedral for sure. But not prior years Nova who all too often threw the ball in tight beautiful spirals, at arm strength certifying high velocity, straight into defensive backs hands while they were mid-stride without them having to stop or bend backward.

Yes ray’s stats are better . But ray was not a great player here . He was in a qb controversy every year . His record was poor against weaker competition. Vedral is getting wins in the BIG. Ray’s senior year was so bad the coach got fired . If ray is a hall of famer , vedral is going to be in the discussion especially if he gets us to another bowl .
His stats are (far) better because he was a (far) better player. If you watched them both play and would rather have Vedral you are an atrocious evaluator of talent AND performance.

His stats are (far) better because he was a (far) better player. If you watched them both play and would rather have Vedral you are an atrocious evaluator of talent AND performance.
Major problem with this Board.
I never said I would rather have vedral . Thanks for putting words in my mouth .
But maybe graber rather have had vedral since ray’s senior season got graber fired.

Ray wasn’t limited to jet sweep tosses and throwing 3 yard crossing patterns and no YAC. Our passing game is among the worst in any level of college football maybe since 1950. Maybe not THE worst (eg Navy and maybe the Pony Express SMU team) but close.

This surpasses RutgersAl-level ignorance.

Major problem with this Board.
I never said I would rather have vedral . Thanks for putting words in my mouth .
But maybe graber rather have had vedral since ray’s senior season got graber fired.
Or the bigger problem is misinterpreting and wanting to be oppressed - I said “if” you saw them and came to that conclusion, you’re a bad talent evaluator. I’ve already stated I don’t think he’s close to a HOFer. I was continuing the comparison. Should we just repeat the same thing back and forth?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT