ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia & Tony Bennett

RUBubba

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2002
How much credit with Virginia and their fans does Tony Bennett have for winning the National Championship in 2019? Three first round losses as a much higher seed, including as the #1 seed. I thought being an RU fan was frustrating.

2023 Lost in the first round as the 4 seed.
2022 NIT Quarterfinals
2021 Lost in the first round as the 4 seed
2020 Cancelled
2019 National Champs
2018 Lost in the first round as the 1 seed (Only #1 to loss to a 16 in men's tournament history)
2017 Lost in 2nd round as 5 seed (to 4 seed)
2016 Elite 8
2015 Lost in 2nd round as 2 seed
2014 Lost in Sweet 16 as 3 seed to 4 seed.

Think about what they were before he got there. Weird tourney results. Bunch of losses to double digit seeds but it beats the 7-11, 16-15 type of years.

There aren’t a lot of Duke and Kansas’s in the world.
Could be worse. Could be Illinois
1 seed 2nd round loss to Loyola Chicago
4/5 (can’t remember) throttled in the second round
8/9 seed loss to whoever the hell they played yesterday

I love Tony as a coach. But I remember a lot of good fortune along the way to that national championship. Mostly, they have not met expectations in March.

ETA: Cavalier fans are thrilled with Coach Tony Bennett, if that's the question. And rightly so, in my opinion.

Their low scoring style is always going to be susceptible to upsets. When you are the better team and you shorten the game, it’s natural to have your talent advantage neutralized.
Top 30 offense 3 of the last 5 years IIRC including #2 overall and #8 overall.

This year obviously being one the offense wasn’t good.

Top 30 offense 3 of the last 5 years IIRC including #2 overall and #8 overall.

This year obviously being one the offense wasn’t good.
Isn’t that based on efficiency? Of course, that matters but again they shorten the game. If you have more talent, it usually (not always) makes more sense to speed the game up because by slowing it down you increase the chances of a “hot” team upsetting you because it’s a smaller sample size of possessions. It’s also harder for them to come from behind if needed. The flip side, is that it is more difficult for another team to come from behind against them….except for yesterday…lol.

I love Tony as a coach. But I remember a lot of good fortune along the way to that national championship. Mostly, they have not met expectations in March.

ETA: Cavalier fans are thrilled with Coach Tony Bennett, if that's the question. And rightly so, in my opinion.
Especially the Purdue debacle on the FT.

Reactions: biazza38
Christmas In Rockefeller Center GIF by NBC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT