ADVERTISEMENT

We beat 2 interim coaches and 1 coach that got canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Yes. We got 3 BIG wins .

2 were against interim coaches at northwestern and Michigan state (yes braun at northwestern got it figured out and earned the full time job . But when we played them they were a mess with braun on the job less than 8 weeks )

1 against Allen who was canned

Wins against awful temple and Wagner

A win against 6-6 va tech

Braun may well be the B1G COY so who the hell cares if he was an interim. Do wins against Texas A & M not count because their HC got canned before the end of the season?
Just stating facts my friend .

So what? Means absolutely nothing whatsoever. Com'on Plum.
Maybe it means we took advantage of the opportunity
It’s hard for interim coaches to win BIG games .
Look at the two interim coaches we had in this league . Wilson and nunzio . Neither won a conference game

One of them went 7-5. Bad take.
And you just completely ignored my point about Rutgers interim coaches going winless in the BIG

I bet if you look up interim coaches records in this league, it’s not good .

Yes, Braun did a faboulous job. That is why in another thead I suggested him for BIG coach of the year - in October !

Kind of lame facts. We could denigrate a lot of team's losses that way. Most everybody plays 1 or 2 cupcakes.
We could argue we put the nail in Allen's coffin. He is a perfect example why you don't extend based on one year of success because "everybody else is doing it."
I am sad to see Allen go. Schiano is too

And you just completely ignored my point about Rutgers interim coaches going winless in the BIG

I bet if you look up interim coaches records in this league, it’s not good .

Yes, Braun did a faboulous job. That is why in another thead I suggested him for BIG coach of the year - in October !
They won’t be good in any league. You know why? Because they are interim and why are they Interim, because the head coach got fired. And why did that happen? Because the team stinks. So people coaching bad teams don’t often do well? Color me shocked. NW is a unique situation where the coach didn’t get fired because of play on the field.

They won’t be good in any league. You know why? Because they are interim and why are they Interim, because the head coach got fired. And why did that happen? Because the team stinks. So people coaching bad teams don’t often do well? Color me shocked. NW is a unique situation where the coach didn’t get fired because of play on the field.
That’s right. usually the team stinks and the staff is trying to line up their next job.

MSU was also unique as Tucker wasn’t fired for play on the field , officially anyway

Yes. We got 3 BIG wins .

2 were against interim coaches at northwestern and Michigan state (yes braun at northwestern got it figured out and earned the full time job . But when we played them they were a mess with braun on the job less than 8 weeks )

And we lost to 4 teams with a combined record of 40-5…and 4 of those 5 loses were to each other…would bet you 95% of all the teams in college football would have those 4 losses against our schedule also.

That’s right. usually the team stinks and the staff is trying to line up their next job.

MSU was also unique as Tucker wasn’t fired for play on the field , officially anyway
You have shown savvy. Maybe it was you, or someone else, and it doesn't matter. There had to be huge buyer's remorse with that contract, which Kenneth Walker III should have gotten at least half. 5-7/3-6 in 2022 burst the bubble. He will still probably settle for at least 1/3 of what he was owed, which is a shame.

And we lost to 4 teams with a combined record of 40-5…and 4 of those 5 loses were to each other…would bet you 95% of all the teams in college football would have those 4 losses against our schedule also.
Now, now, don't go cherry picking games that go against the preferred agenda!

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Yes. We got 3 BIG wins .

So by RutgersAl's metric's that warrants a 10 year/$100 million extension give or take

The coach didn't get fired as a result of the play on the field, no. They did however go 1-11 last year with Pat Fitzgerald so it's not at all as though Braun inherited this insanely talented roster.

I'd argue it goes to show just how much more separation NIL is putting the very top teams ahead. Reality is OSU, Michigan, and PSU are so far out in front of everyone else in the current conference that a 1 win team from last year who went through insane turmoil managed to turn in a 7 win season with a new coach getting the job mere weeks before the start of the season. Something like that doesn't happen unless the rest of the conference is incredibly weak. This year the Big 10 west was a complete joke

Should we give those wins back? Maybe sit home, rather than practice, play the bowl game and make the program some money? RU won those NW, VT and IU games by an average of 18 pts - not exactly closely contested. Its as if some in this fanbase would only feel validated at 2-10 (0-9).

Reactions: sct1111 and shields
Should we give those wins back? Maybe sit home, rather than practice, play the bowl game and make the program some money? RU won those NW, VT and IU games by an average of 18 pts - not exactly closely contested. Its as if some in this fanbase would only feel validated at 2-10 (0-9).
Or I could just say the elephant in the room... Do we believe Greg Schiano can lead a Rutgers team to victory vs Penn State? Yes it really is that simple. Let's not sugar coat it or skirt around it, THAT'S the win we want. No one expected it this year or next, the question is with Greg's offensive philosophy is there ever a shot of seeing us beat them? He beats them he can have a lifetime contract as far as I'm concerned. If we beat them at home it will overtake 2006 Louisville and no, I'm really not kidding.

I understand as a Rutgers fan we're not a fanbase that's going to experience many championships, rather we are a program that is going to provide "Moments". Beating PSU at home would be the ultimate Rutgers football moment. This is why we suport the program and give to NIL, this is why we get up at 5 am to get to the tailgate, for the MOMENTS. I gotta see more before I'm convinced Greg is the guy who can deliver the moment we all are craving....

Reactions: thegock
Yes. We got 3 BIG wins .

… and a few years ago we wouldn’t have won many of those games, especially the B1G games and the VTech game with a maybe on Temple. Point being progress is a positive even if we all prefer it to be much more rapid progress. We now gotta see what KC can do for offense recruiting.

What’s worst? Beating teams with interim or fire coaches or losing those easily winnable games against 10 win teams?

It is interesting that the three west division teams we played this season were the ones that finished above .500 in the league, and none of the other four teams that finished 3-6 in league play.

This program is still trying to catch up to the middle of the pack in the BIG. Ash left it in, well, ashes!
Yes, our three league wins may not be all that impressive to the casual fan, but we played some of the top teams pretty tough until our lack of depth caught up to us.
If you take a look at our BIG schedule, you have to pretty much write off the top 3 teams as possible wins! That means we had middle teams to deal with and we won 3 of them.
The real goal this year was to get to a bowl game. Mission accomplished.
Hopefully, we can win the bowl game.

This program is still trying to catch up to the middle of the pack in the BIG. Ash left it in, well, ashes!
Yes, our three league wins may not be all that impressive to the casual fan, but we played some of the top teams pretty tough until our lack of depth caught up to us.
If you take a look at our BIG schedule, you have to pretty much write off the top 3 teams as possible wins! That means we had middle teams to deal with and we won 3 of them.
The real goal this year was to get to a bowl game. Mission accomplished.
Hopefully, we can win the bowl game.

Losses to the Top 4 in the B10 East and, the Top B10 West team and a split with team 2 teams tied for 2nd in the B10 West

Interim coach made the MWC title game at Boise.

Could also stretch logic that an "interim" coach got Mich to B1G championship game. 🤣

Many on this site are twisting their Rubix stats cubes to hate RU coaches and players ever since we've been trying for our 7th win...all the while they didn't even think we'd 5 win games before the season began

Last edited:
Reactions: jtung230
Yes. We got 3 BIG wins .

So you're saying that we won six games when all the pundits only predicted we would win four at most, and we're bowl eligible when no one predicted that. Do I have that correct?

So you're saying that we won six games when all the pundits only predicted we would win four at most, and we're bowl eligible when no one predicted that. Do I have that correct?
As a "certain someone" stated earlier in this thread, Mrs. Screw...."Facts are good to have", and you just stated some excellent ones.

But perhaps facts such as those you've cited are conveniently left unmentioned by the aforementioned individual because they don't fit his seemingly endless negativity when it comes to anything even remotely related to GS.

Reactions: Kbee3 and MrsScrew
It's one thing to be disappointed about how the season ended, which we all are. It's another to be a negative asshole and spin the entire season as a failure.

If we played in the ACC or West division we probably win 8 games.
No one is spinning anything

Reactions: Tiny NUTS
It is interesting that the three west division teams we played this season were the ones that finished above .500 in the league, and none of the other four teams that finished 3-6 in league play.
Don't post facts. Plum and 95 will call you names.

Reactions: thegock
Or I could just say the elephant in the room... Do we believe Greg Schiano can lead a Rutgers team to victory vs Penn State? Yes it really is that simple. Let's not sugar coat it or skirt around it, THAT'S the win we want. No one expected it this year or next, the question is with Greg's offensive philosophy is there ever a shot of seeing us beat them? He beats them he can have a lifetime contract as far as I'm concerned. If we beat them at home it will overtake 2006 Louisville and no, I'm really not kidding.

I understand as a Rutgers fan we're not a fanbase that's going to experience many championships, rather we are a program that is going to provide "Moments". Beating PSU at home would be the ultimate Rutgers football moment. This is why we suport the program and give to NIL, this is why we get up at 5 am to get to the tailgate, for the MOMENTS. I gotta see more before I'm convinced Greg is the guy who can deliver the moment we all are craving....
So if Nova doesn't overthrow a wide open Croft you would have given that former OL coach, one of the few Schiano did not take with him, a lifetime contract?

Why does this board has so many negative fans? If this has anything to do with paying Schiano more then no but that’s not negative. We did better than the majority fans thought we would so that’s suppose to be a positive not negative.

On other boards, the fans should be negative but they’re all positive. I tend to be realistic. At best, we will be middle of the Big Ten and at worst the bottom. We’re the Knicks. The way we move up a notch is if the the other team makes a mistake replacing their coach with a terrible coach, see Michigan a few years ago or even Michigan State. See Syracuse Paul Pasqualoni or even present day Syracuse.

Last edited:
Yes. We got 3 BIG wins .

Plus a win against the BIG COY.

Will be interesting to see the excuses next year, after the first two games there are no gimmies, could be a very tough year.

Reactions: Tiny NUTS
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT