ADVERTISEMENT

What is the largest donation to RU ever

NJBorn

Junior
Sep 21, 2007
I just read that BC received its largest donation from a single benefactor ever, which means Mr. Morrissey gave over $50million dollars. (which actually beat an anonymous donation) I know we received some sizable gifts the last few years, any clue what is the largest ever?

Probably in the $10-15 million range. That of course doesnt include say the value of the land donation for what became Busch in the 1930s (how much would it cost to buy that land then, let alone now), nor the present value of the $10 million 1971 donation that came from Mr Busch (who in fact didnt donate the land) - which in present dollars comes to $57 million.

But yeah - I think the largest one time donation in nominal dollars is probably $10-15 million. Of course I think there are individuals who's lifetime giving totals more than $15 million.

Originally posted by rutgersguy1:
I believe the donation above was the largest. It was sort of a matching program. The same donor have given 13M in 2008 which at the time was the largest. So 40M total from this anonymous donor.

Some fundraising articles

http://news.rutgers.edu/news-releases/2011/09/rutgers-announces-re-20110913#.VQGaifnF_rg

http://support.rutgers.edu/s/896/Foundation/Giveindex.aspx?sid=896&gid=1&pgid=1820

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/09/big_ten_why_is_rutgers_behind_in_the_fundraising_game.html
Shows what I know.

There were a couple of donations of 20th C Russian art in the last 20 years (Dodge Collection may have been the name of one of them) which at the time were the largest ever and gave RU a very significant collection in that area.

Originally posted by rob331996:
What kind of parking do you get for $27M?
I would presume he would be allowed to drive right on to the field and park where ever he wants, for that kind of money.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Or, perhaps, they simply fly "the chopper" out to his house and fly him to the games (if he wants....

Either way, it was a lot of money. It is interesting that it was anonymous. Wonder if it was an alum or just some local philanthropist.

derleider: "...That of course doesnt include say the value of the land donation for what became Busch in the 1930s (how much would it cost to buy that land then, let alone now),..."

Rutgers trustee James Neilson, Rutgers Class of 1866, died in 1937. In his lifetime, he donated the lands where the College Avenue Gym all the way over to Bishop Place. He donated much of the land the Douglas Campus now sits on. Hard to believe what that would cost today.

Re: Desperately poor!!!

We desperately need one of those $100 million + gifts which seem pretty common everywhere else. I just can't believe some billionaire would not want the naming rights to the historic and revitalized College Ave. campus. The worthless BOG needs to get out there and SELL!

Originally posted by CuredbywinningRU:
There were a couple of donations of 20th C Russian art in the last 20 years (Dodge Collection may have been the name of one of them) which at the time were the largest ever and gave RU a very significant collection in that area.
And most of that went to the Zimmerli, which has an amazing collection of Soviet art on display - worth a visit...

Originally posted by RU848789:

Originally posted by CuredbywinningRU:
And most of that went to the Zimmerli, which has an amazing collection of Soviet art on display - worth a visit...
Yep and if anyone hasnt gone to Zimmerli Art Museum on College Avenue, it is now FREE!!!

Re: Desperately poor!!!

Originally posted by rutgersnyc:

We desperately need one of those $100 million + gifts which seem pretty common everywhere else. I just can't believe some billionaire would not want the naming rights to the historic and revitalized College Ave. campus. The worthless BOG needs to get out there and SELL!
They arent that common. Since 2005 there have only been 70 gifts of over $100 million and most (49) have gone to private schools.

The public schools that have gotten those donations are Oregon, Oregon Health Sciences (multiple each from Phil Knight), UCLA, Michigan, UVa, UNC, UCSF, Illinois, Wisconin, Pitt, and Western Michigan (!?!).

Unless Bernard Marcus decides to become our Phil Knight or some anonymous rich NJan just decides to throw money are way, its pretty unlikely we will get that level any time soon.

In one sense, it was the $5k Colonel Rutgers gave to keep the school going. It also might be in another sense, assuming the inflation-adjusted dollars exceed the present-day largest donation. Given that it was made roughly 200 years ago, my guess is that it has a shot. Any economics/math guys with tables that go back that far?

didn't he donate the interest on a $5K bond and not $5K.

What's insane is that Henry Rutgers owned like all of the land on the lower east side of manhattan which is now basically housing projects and china town. I think he donated the land to NYC and local churches or something.

Originally posted by RU to the Core:

What's insane is that Henry Rutgers owned like all of the land on the lower east side of manhattan which is now basically housing projects and china town. I think he donated the land to NYC and local churches or something.
From wikipedia:

Colonel Rutgers' most lasting legacy however, is due to his donations to [3]

$5,000 100-year bond

From www.measuringwealth.com:
If you want to compare the value of a $5,000.00 Commodity in 1825 there are three choices. In 2014 the relative:

real price of that commodity is $123,000.00
labor value of that commodity is $1,340,000.00(using the unskilled wage)
income value of that commodity is $3,690,000.00

Colonel Henry donated 1/3 of his annual wealth to various charities including a defunct school along the Raritan River. If he doesn't put forth the money, there may never have been a Rutgers University. What's that worth?

Originally posted by RutgersRaRa:

Originally posted by RU to the Core:

From wikipedia:

Colonel Rutgers' most lasting legacy however, is due to his donations to [3]
According to rutgers.edu:

Rutgers College gets a donation from its namesake-a $200 bell that is hung from the cupola of the Old Queens building. Later in the year, the colonel donates the interest on a $5,000 bond.[/B]

Timeline

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT