ADVERTISEMENT

When will CBB coaches get together and decide something needs to be done about this portal mess?

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
I can't imagine that college coaches are happy with this situation. They now have to re-recruit all of their players every year. And a large number of them have to rebuild their rosters every year. When are they going to band together and come up with a proposal to take to the NCAA to get this mess under control?

The coaches don't have much power over this. It will happen eventually, but the power distribution is set up in a way that makes it harder than it should be.

The holders of power are the college presidents and the players. The players are too young and inexperienced to be able to lead (and then they graduate and don't care anymore right when they start to get a handle on things), and the college presidents are academics and this isn't something they know much or care much about.

I can't imagine that college coaches are happy with this situation. They now have to re-recruit all of their players every year. And a large number of them have to rebuild their rosters every year. When are they going to band together and come up with a proposal to take to the NCAA to get this mess under control?
The slimeball coaches (Calipari, Pitino. Pearl, Hurley, etc) are probably very happy.

The slimeball coaches (Calipari, Pitino. Pearl, Hurley, etc) are probably very happy.

Careful with the mud slinging.
HC Pike recruited 5 freshman for only 3 readily available spots.
Even if everyone wanted to return - there no room at the inn.

Does that make our fan base and coaches also “slimeballs”?
People seem to be pretty happy we can easily and readily upgrade from Simpson, Chol and even Clif potentially.

They only have to re-recruit the players they actually want back.

Doubtful Woolf, Chol and Simpson got an extensive re-recruiting pitch to stay.

NCAA has no control over the situation, they lost in court. It is the reason why JWill was able to play this past season.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I think the issue is for coaches it’s essentially career suicide right now.

If you speak out against this right now, it will be framed as “this coach is taking opportunities away from the players.”

Something bad needs to start happening to players first and then the angle will be “look at X Y and Z, I’m just trying to do right by the players.”

It’s sad, but it’s true.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think the issue is for coaches it’s essentially career suicide right now.

If you speak out against this right now, it will be framed as “this coach is taking opportunities away from the players.”

Something bad needs to start happening to players first and then the angle will be “look at X Y and Z, I’m just trying to do right by the players.”

It’s sad, but it’s true.
this will be the first year it will have a big impact on tax returns

Reactions: The RUT
The thing is, for the most part the same coaches who are annoyed that three quarters of their roster are entering the portal every year are also reaching out to kids on other teams through back channels to try and lure them into the portal.

Reactions: Eagleton96
The thing is, for the most part the same coaches who are annoyed that three quarters of their roster are entering the portal every year are also reaching out to kids on other teams through back channels to try and lure them into the portal.
It was certainly ironic to see Hurley complaining about the instability on his team he has to deal with because of the transfer portal.

The comp paid to college coaches and the size of their organizations should absolutely be on the table as well. You need to start the discussion at the BOG and President level to have any chance of change. I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

The coaches don't have much power over this. It will happen eventually, but the power distribution is set up in a way that makes it harder than it should be.

The holders of power are the college presidents and the players. The players are too young and inexperienced to be able to lead (and then they graduate and don't care anymore right when they start to get a handle on things), and the college presidents are academics and this isn't something they know much or care much about.
That’s the problem … college Presidents. You actually believe they control the purse strings in this BS? All they care about is keeping their jobs and pandering to the college community they reside in.Have not heard many say. “ you know this was supposed to help our school reach parity…now we see the bad parts of NIL and it’s only going to get worse.”

That’s the problem … college Presidents. You actually believe they control the purse strings in this BS? All they care about is keeping their jobs and pandering to the college community they reside in.Have not heard many say. “ you know this was supposed to help our school reach parity…now we see the bad parts of NIL and it’s only going to get worse.”
As I said in the post you quoted, I think this isn't something the presidents know much or care much about. But if the schools all got together they could force a structure that could work. But they aren't interested.

There’s only group who has power over this and that’s the players themselves. Until there is a players union nothing will change

As I said in the post you quoted, I think this isn't something the presidents know much or care much about. But if the schools all got together they could force a structure that could work. But they aren't interested.
But they won’t… because you are correct they aren’t interested. When a college education costs 350-400k for 4 years (as now projected ) tell me who are the privileged ?

The comp paid to college coaches and the size of their organizations should absolutely be on the table as well. You need to start the discussion at the BOG and President level to have any chance of change. I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.
You can't do that without an anti-trust violation.

Coaches come and go so player doing same is bad how?
1. It's ultimately bad for the large majority of college players (as any kid having to go through the process of transfering college every year would result in personal stress and academic underachievement), and
2. The sport (intercollegiate basketball) cannot survive at the majority of schools if the $$$ schools can just poach players off of the lesser-financed schools at will every off-season.

The same is not true of coaches.

I always find it amusing when people cannot understand why the CEO of a company makes the most money
And why we equate coaches with players.
Every player has the opportunity to make it to the highest level of basketball coaching, if that’s their calling.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
We can put a man on the moon but we can’t control the damn transfer portal!

I think NIL deals should all be 4 year deals tied to the player / school

Nil donations are split across 4 years, shared between player NIL & non NIL program funds.

Payable;
Player Year 1 10%
Year 2 15% -
Year 3 25% -
Year 4 50% -

Kid stays 4 years keeps 100%.
Kid leaves after 1 year, he gets 10% school gets remaining 90%.

Leaves early, rest of unpaid portion goes to school program donation fund

You can transfer, but lose out on rest of player deal, player portion goes to program funds on xfer out.

Pay the players, but have a reward for multiple seasons at same school & have donor funds go to player & school. Donors don't just rent a player for a year, it's a 4 year commitment to school & player. Player bolts, school gets remaining $. Might curb some sending on year after year pay for season mercenaries.

Thoughts?

We have a college president who understands completely what is occurring but as long as we are bringing money in he an others could give two craps less. When this thing collapses then and only then would he speak up.

The NCAA or conferences could absolutely reign in the transfer portal craziness. It’s the NIL rule that can’t be changed due to the court ruling.
Probably not. The remaining restrictions on transferring (e.g. you can't transfer twice without sitting out a year) are being challenged in court -- including by the Justice Department -- as restraints on trade that violate the antitrust laws. The NCAA is so worried that it has pledged not to enforce the restrictions that are being challenged. There are probably only two answers: (a) for Congress to grant some kind of limited exemption for the antitrust laws; (b) for the schools to enter into a collective bargaining agreement with a union of players. Neither the coaches nor the presidents nor the NCAA can solve the problem on their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT