ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt gets too much blame

After throwing for 40 yards against Vtech and missing wide open targets, some fans swore coaches were saving the best of the passing gane and the playbook for big ten play.

Since that didn't really pan out, maybe it's all about saving the best for the bowl game!

Season lomg subterfuge!

Reactions: RUTGERS95
After throwing for 40 yards against Vtech and missing wide open targets, some fans swore coaches were saving the best of the passing gane and the playbook for big ten play.

Since that didn't really pan out, maybe it's all about saving the best for the bowl game!

Season lomg subterfuge!
I think it's abundantly clear that we don't have the smartest fans.

I think it's abundantly clear that we don't have the smartest fans.
Passion can be blinding I guess. I'd take passion over indifference but the inability to acknowledge weakness borders on fantacism which I suppose is what being a fan is about one way or the other.

Nevertheless, objectivity isn't a bad thing and coaches aren't omniscient beings. It's OK to question direction. Besides, sports writers and announcers have started asking the sane questions. Maybe there is something to it?

Season lomg subterfuge!
Still a project after 24 games and over 425 passes?
Time to move on.

Gavin is getting way too much blame. There is no "I" in team.
That was a fair point for Laviano. And Sit. Even Resigno.

The OL is not responsible for Gavin’s poor completion rate. He is. He has plenty of time to make throws. The wide outs cannot be blamed for his inability to complete simple laterals. It’s not a case of nobody getting open, he just can’t make those throws consistently for whatever reason. The wide outs are not to blame for us having a poor after reception yardage rate either. Gavin is lucky they catch it let alone stay on their feet to pick up extra. All these things are on Gavin and not the other groups. It’s hard to say how much better we would be with someone else (pretty much pick any QB since Schiano 1.0), but we’d be better.

That was a fair point for Laviano. And Sit. Even Resigno.

The OL is not responsible for Gavin’s poor completion rate. He is. He has plenty of time to make throws. The wide outs cannot be blamed for his inability to complete simple laterals. It’s not a case of nobody getting open, he just can’t make those throws consistently for whatever reason. The wide outs are not to blame for us having a poor after reception yardage rate either. Gavin is lucky they catch it let alone stay on their feet to pick up extra. All these things are on Gavin and not the other groups. It’s hard to say how much better we would be with someone else (pretty much pick any QB since Schiano 1.0), but we’d be better.
And then the guy breaks off 5 NFL worthy throws in a row. That is what is the most frustrating.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
He isn't really the best to play here just this year. Simon is a better qb than GW by most qb related metrics.

Apologies, I forgot about the couple of plays Simon was in the game. After wimsatt lead the team down the field before exiting a couple plays for injury. Simon threw a touchdown to end that drive before leaving the game. I actually thought Simon looked good last year. Would have liked to see one of the QBs take command of the job. But in the end Gavins duel threat won out.

As frustrating as his inaccuracy can be, he also won some games this year with his rushing ability, like Indiana. Also made some big throws to secure victories like Michigan state. While you may think the team would have beaten Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa with Simon at Qb. The chances of that happening are less likely than the chance of Rutgers being able to win the 6 games that it won without a duel threat QB.

With that being said I don't think wimsatt has done anything to secure the QB position going into next year. It's up to him to put in that work and develop to beat out whoever the staff brings in. Or if Simon sticks around, I'm sure he will get better as well. I would think that's a given.

I'm just amazed at how upset some are, lol I can't remember the last time Rutgers beat the teams they lost to this year. Maryland was better than they usually are. Live in reality...

Apologies, I forgot about the couple of plays Simon was in the game. After wimsatt lead the team down the field before exiting a couple plays for injury. Simon threw a touchdown to end that drive before leaving the game. I actually thought Simon looked good last year. Would have liked to see one of the QBs take command of the job. But in the end Gavins duel threat won out.

As frustrating as his inaccuracy can be, he also won some games this year with his rushing ability, like Indiana. Also made some big throws to secure victories like Michigan state. While you may think the team would have beaten Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa with Simon at Qb. The chances of that happening are less likely than the chance of Rutgers being able to win the 6 games that it won without a duel threat QB.

With that being said I don't think wimsatt has done anything to secure the QB position going into next year. It's up to him to put in that work and develop to beat out whoever the staff brings in. Or if Simon sticks around, I'm sure he will get better as well. I would think that's a given.

I'm just amazed at how upset some are, lol I can't remember the last time Rutgers beat the teams they lost to this year. Maryland was better than they usually are. Live in reality...
This season it was proven that Gavin is not a duel threat. Time to let the S&S guys get some real game reps.

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN

You just wrote a lengthy essay and failed to mention why we won games.
Strong defense, a great back, a good field goal kicker and just plain bounces against MSU.
This team needs someone at QB who can run a two minute offense when needed and not be a guaranteed 3 and out if we jump offsides on 1st down.
You ain’t beating a team with a pulse throwing at 48%

Strong defense, a great back, a good field goal kicker and just plain bounces against MSU.
This team needs someone at QB who can run a two minute offense when needed and not be a guaranteed 3 and out if we jump offsides on 1st down.
I don't disagree with you there man. I do however disagree with the notion that wimsatt has nothing to do with the victories. I can't say anything to change your mind if that's what you believe. It's a valid opinion, I just have a different one. I think an improved wimsatt as a player and a leader is one of the main reasons why Rutgers was able to win the games that they won. Will he improve enough to be the best option next year? Idk it'll be interesting to see how he develops.

Reactions: zappaa
I am actually stunned, stunned, that Greg never benched him for someone else. Unless really believes he has a job for life here

BLAME?

What is he being blamed for other than his own play?

These efforts to pretend Wimsatt has no issues or to minimize them or whitewash them causes people to respond.. with TRUTH.. in harsh ways.

Last year, the defenders like the OP, were happily BLAMING the OLine. They also happily BLAMED the WRs.

And now Wimsatt is getting too much BLAME?

Wimsatt is what he is.. and the way we use him.. and the way he performs.. well, what he is is not enough for a Big Ten QB.

Not yet, anyway.

I personally doubt he can get there... but that's only because he has not improved much in 2 years of starts. I think he'd be great, because fo that arm and his legs, if he got even 60% of everything else in good shape... the vision thing.. looking off DBs.. presnap reads, quicker decisions, more urgent and purposeful scrambling.. and, of course, footwork and accuracy (which are linked to my mind).

While I think he CAN do it... I have to wonder why he has not done so already.

When has he ever made 5 consecutive NFL caliber throws?

yeah that was a headscratcher for sure

he's made some nice throws but nothing any other d1 qb has made.
I wasn't completely serious on the number...just trying to make a point. We have seen him have 8 of 10 good throws with 2-3 of them being outstanding. And the rest of them game- mostly crap.

Hope that was a little more descriptive geez

I wasn't completely serious on the number...just trying to make a point. We have seen him have 8 of 10 good throws with 2-3 of them being outstanding. And the rest of them game- mostly crap.

Hope that was a little more descriptive geez
lol I get it

it's the board man, it's the board that does this to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha

BLAME?

What is he being blamed for other than his own play?

These efforts to pretend Wimsatt has no issues or to minimize them or whitewash them causes people to respond.. with TRUTH.. in harsh ways.

Last year, the defenders like the OP, were happily BLAMING the OLine. They also happily BLAMED the WRs.

And now Wimsatt is getting too much BLAME?

Wimsatt is what he is.. and the way we use him.. and the way he performs.. well, what he is is not enough for a Big Ten QB.

Not yet, anyway.

I personally doubt he can get there... but that's only because he has not improved much in 2 years of starts. I think he'd be great, because fo that arm and his legs, if he got even 60% of everything else in good shape... the vision thing.. looking off DBs.. presnap reads, quicker decisions, more urgent and purposeful scrambling.. and, of course, footwork and accuracy (which are linked to my mind).

While I think he CAN do it... I have to wonder why he has not done so already.
I understood the post to mean, realistically, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Maryland were not teams the current roster can handle. Some seem to think Rutgers would have won 3 or 4 more games with Simon at Qb. This is not realistic, Rutgers is never that type of team. NEVER, Rutgers is actually a laughing stock, a team mentioned as an easy win on a big ten contenders schedule. The way some posters speak about wimsatt with such vitriol despite the team winning more games than it has in ten years is interesting. People are emotional and pissed. It seems like too much, I saw the games Simon started last year. Left much to be desired, but if you read this board you'd think the staff was playing wimsatt over Tom Brady and Rutgers would be a top ten team in the big ten championship with him at Qb. It's time to bring people back to reality. Let's see what happens next year hopefully the team can take another step and be that 8-10 win team next year. Schedule is easier..

I understood the post to mean, realistically, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Maryland were not teams the current roster can handle. Some seem to think Rutgers would have won 3 or 4 more games with Simon at Qb. This is not realistic, Rutgers is never that type of team. NEVER, Rutgers is actually a laughing stock, a team mentioned as an easy win on a big ten contenders schedule. The way some posters speak about wimsatt with such vitriol despite the team winning more games than it has in ten years is interesting. People are emotional and pissed. It seems like too much, I saw the games Simon started last year. Left much to be desired, but if you read this board you'd think the staff was playing wimsatt over Tom Brady and Rutgers would be a top ten team in the big ten championship with him at Qb. It's time to bring people back to reality. Let's see what happens next year hopefully the team can take another step and be that 8-10 win team next year. Schedule is easier..
We most likely lose 2 more games with someone else. But I no longer feel GW will take the next step, which is needed.

Wimsatt had 488 rushing yards, roughly 48% of our great backs output, and 9 touchdowns. The idea that we would have won more with a different quarterback is a fallacy, because the WR and TE rooms are weak and lack the ability to get separation and pull down 50/50 balls.

That was the whole idea behind playing Wimsatt. You could win the games you were supposed to win with little to no contribution from the WR Corp. the idea worked because we’re bowling.

Reactions: shields
Wimsatt had 488 rushing yards, roughly 48% of our great backs output, and 9 touchdowns. The idea that we would have won more with a different quarterback is a fallacy, because the WR and TE rooms are weak and lack the ability to get separation and pull down 50/50 balls.

That was the whole idea behind playing Wimsatt. You could win the games you were supposed to win with little to no contribution from the WR Corp. the idea worked because we’re bowling.
I never said we would have won more games with another QB, my post was about why we won the games we did.
So you agree, any athletic QB with time to learn our offense and no real need to throw would have also won those games???

The argument that Simon behind a disaster of an offensive line would be the same as Simon behind the current one is the fallacy. He is a better passer. Even behind that broken line. Could he have won more games? Not certain but he could have extended drives and got the ball to Rutgers best players, the rbs, in space.

When Simon and GW shared responsibility in the same system with the sane personel, Simon completed almost 15% more passes while conceding less than a 100 yard rushing difference of which half came on one play.

The argument that Simon behind a disaster of an offensive line would be the same as Simon behind the current one is the fallacy. He is a better passer. Even behind that broken line. Could he have won more games? Not certain but he could have extended drives and got the ball to Rutgers best players, the rbs, in space.

When Simon and GW shared responsibility in the same system with the sane personel, Simon completed almost 15% more passes while conceding less than a 100 yard rushing difference of which half came on one play.
Listen, I hear you, however Rutgers won every game it was supposed to win.. Fell short in the games against teams with superior talent. By any metric you want to use Rutgers lost the games it was supposed to lose and won the games they were supposed to win. I understand having a favorite and wanting your guy to be the won playing, you may feel that Evan Simon could have won the same amount of games as wimsatt. Maybe, but we know that he wouldn't have 500 yards rushing and 9 rush tds. This why Wimsatt started, again let's put the drinks down and let go of the emotions. Rutgers had a good season by its standard and now will look to have an even better one. Whether that's with an improved wimsatt or a different qb...what would be ironic is if wimsatt transfers to another school with dynamic receivers and wimsatt shows his sophomore to junior year improvement for another fan base. Anything can happen from now until next year. Evan Simon could be the starter next year. You never know, this year is over though, best year the team has had in some time. Watch the bowl game and enjoy or don't, idk what to tell you.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
you think Iowa and Wisconsin are teams we can't handle? what games did you watch? We should have beaten both of them with a competent qb

end thread

Other B1G teams either beat or were in dogfights with Wisconsin, Iowa and Maryland. Iowa and Maryland blew us out. Wisconsin did to us what we did to NW.

Our defense crapped the bed against Maryland and Iowa. The offense kept shooting themselves in the foot against Iowa.

Maybe we win the Wisconsin game with Simon. We're likely a closer loss against Maryland with Simon. Do any of the wins turn to losses due to Simon starting? Maybe.

I just watched a year of a subpar high school style offense. I hope we don't see it next year.

you think Iowa and Wisconsin are teams we can't handle? what games did you watch? We should have beaten both of them with a competent qb
Definitely could have beaten both of those teams. As we all saw when they lined up, I actually think the team could have beaten Michigan and Ohio State as well. But Rutgers didn't have the play makers or the type of quarterback to see that through this year. Again, you may think that with Evan Simon Rutgers wins those games. Idk but there is also the chance that you don't win the games that you did win. This is the struggle with decision making.

Apparently Wimsatt and a offense based on delayed hand offs was the safe bet this season. Its nice to think about beating those teams but what makes you think Wimsatt's back up would turn Rutgers into a better offense? I'm assuming the coaches want to win games as well. I guess this crowd won't give any credit for wimsatts threat of running making it easier for the rbs and his mobility making it easier to avoid sacks. But hey, maybe the ol has improved enough for everything to be the same with Simon at Qb, the coaches did not want to take that chance I guess.

I see now, lol it's because the team played so well this year and played the elite teams tough, you all want more. Patience is a virtue, you may think you can make faster money but learn to appreciate the gains you've already made before you lose the assets you already have chasing rainbows..

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Definitely could have beaten both of those teams. As we all saw when they lined up, I actually think the team could have beaten Michigan and Ohio State as well. But Rutgers didn't have the play makers or the type of quarterback to see that through this year. Again, you may think that with Evan Simon Rutgers wins those games. Idk but there is also the chance that you don't win the games that you did win. This is the struggle with decision making.

Apparently Wimsatt and a offense based on delayed hand offs was the safe bet this season. Its nice to think about beating those teams but what makes you think Wimsatt's back up would turn Rutgers into a better offense? I'm assuming the coaches want to win games as well. I guess this crowd won't give any credit for wimsatts threat of running making it easier for the rbs and his mobility making it easier to avoid sacks. But hey, maybe the ol has improved enough for everything to be the same with Simon at Qb, the coaches did not want to take that chance I guess.

I see now, lol it's because the team played so well this year and played the elite teams tough, you all want more. Patience is a virtue, you may think you can make faster money but learn to appreciate the gains you've already made before you lose the assets you already have chasing rainbows..
fair enough

for the record, and amazing that people don't get this with changing polls and the like, each week the team is reevaluated based on performance.
I"ll also add, we should have won more last year if not for the horrendous job by Greg and crew

we have some players, we're not devoid of talent like so many here want to believe

Other B1G teams either beat or were in dogfights with Wisconsin, Iowa and Maryland. Iowa and Maryland blew us out. Wisconsin did to us what we did to NW.

Our defense crapped the bed against Maryland and Iowa. The offense kept shooting themselves in the foot against Iowa.

Maybe we win the Wisconsin game with Simon. We're likely a closer loss against Maryland with Simon. Do any of the wins turn to losses due to Simon starting? Maybe.

I just watched a year of a subpar high school style offense. I hope we don't see it next year.
careful, no one on this board or rather the cultists don't think Iowa was a blowout. You lose any game by 3 scores and it's a blowout

It's funny- we had 3 score losses against Mich/OSU/Iowa/PSU/Maryland- and it really only felt like 3 of them were blowouts.
Iowa/PSU/Maryland
I agree with you on that cause we watched the games and saw how they unfolded. We're a small passionate subset of the entire fanbase. The casual fan looks at the score and sees ass kicking

I really only think of md, iowa, and psu as true blowouts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT