ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon Preview Book not too high on us

Aug 19, 2007
Got the magazine and love reading it all summer along with all the other College Football Preview Magazines...Athlon has us ranked #79/133 ..behind Arkansas State, James Madison , Coastal Carolina and 23 spots behind Syracuse...Team can't be that bad

As for position rankings in B1G
QB-12
RB-12
WR-14
OL-13
DL-7
LB-12
DB-10

I know it's only a magazine 3 months away and there are always teams that make those rankings look stupid...I hope we can be one of those teams

Last edited:
Got the magazine and love reading it all summer...They have us ranked #79/133 ..behind Arkansas State, James Madison , Coastal Carolina and 23 spots behind Syracuse.

QB-12
RB-12
WR-14
OL-13
DL-7
LB-12
DB-10

I know it's only a magazine 3 months away and there are always teams that make those rankings look stupid...I hope we can be one of those teams
As for position rankings, WR, fair (maybe generous 😜 -that's a joke, calm down).
but to rank QB and RB at 12 is just odd, unless the 11 teams ahead of us are stacked at RB.
Also, LB at 12 and DB at 10 seems kind of too low, but without knowing the rankings ahead of us, hard to argue why. One way to look at this, is that is good to be underestimated!

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Got the magazine and love reading it all summer...They have us ranked #79/133 ..behind Arkansas State, James Madison , Coastal Carolina and 23 spots behind Syracuse.

QB-12
RB-12
WR-14
OL-13
DL-7
LB-12
DB-10

Defense as a whole and running back appear to be ranked too low. Rest of offense sadly ranked appropriately

Reactions: MikeR0102
I think they have us ahead of Indiana. I’m very surprised we are not last in the East division.

One of the publications…either this one or Lindy’s says the excitement of bringing Schiano back has worn off. I couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: Rutgers56
Rankings are a joke but OL, QB, and WR remain a concern.
Most ranking are not based on a deep dive by the author. Its usually info freely available, but not in depth. For example, I've seen posting on our LB position and no mention of Turay, but there is coverage of LBs who have transferred out. Take these magazines with a grain of salt. Outside of a dozen or so teams, its a crap shoot. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Only thing these magazines do is rubber stamp what happened the previous year until a team breaks from their projections. Then they'd rank that team differently going into the next seSon
But that's usually accurate for all but the top teams, which can bounce around more. Middle of the road and back of the pack teams only rarely vary much, proof of the lack of parity in the sport. And if a team is projected to be 75 and is actually 55 or even 45 that's not really earth-shattering. They're still basically humdrum, just less so.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
My friend, if those positions are a concern for YOU, then they are a concern for ALL Rutgers fans.
Still, we’ll play the games. That ball always bounces funny.
Southern Gentleman,
You've been around long enough on this board to know Rutgers fans could have a national championship team and plenty of Rutgers fans will find something wrong and doubt we are worthy of last place. 🤣 🤣

Southern Gentleman,
You've been around long enough on this board to know Rutgers fans could have a national championship team and plenty of Rutgers fans will find something wrong and doubt we are worthy of last place. 🤣 🤣
I think that is true of 97% of fan bases. OSU, Michigan, Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, et al always think they will win it all each year. Hell, I am hoping for 6-6 each year for my Hogs. Love ‘em, hate ‘em. But I still pull for ‘em.

Only thing these magazines do is rubber stamp what happened the previous year until a team breaks from their projections. Then they'd rank that team differently going into the next seSon
Most of the magazines are like that. I think Phil Steele is more in depth and looks at additional variables and is more independent in projections. As others have stated, if RU has a suprisingly good season, it will change everything going forward with the preview magazines.

Most ranking are not based on a deep dive by the author. Its usually info freely available, but not in depth. For example, I've seen posting on our LB position and no mention of Turay, but there is coverage of LBs who have transferred out. Take these magazines with a grain of salt. Outside of a dozen or so teams, its a crap shoot. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

I do. I could swear that some of these previews are copy and pastes from last year with few modifications.

Southern Gentleman,
All he has to to do is wander over to the men's basketball board. I mean, have these people ever heard of the song Don't Worry, Be Happy?

Or the crickets on the women's basketball board. Coach Washington killing it now in recruiting. Crickets over there. This song would make some of our fans angry:

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
Until a program proves on a constant bases that it is a good one all pre season articles about it will not be the type that makes it lok good in every department, but will raise doubts o it being good enough to expect a good season.
Rutgers starts winning-and the benefit of doubt about talent on roster will be given.
My reasoning:
I look at Athlon as saying Rutgers hasn't shown it is a talented team in the past and it looks like more of the same this year .
That's to be expected with teams that haven't proved to be winners .
If RU had a winning record the last couple of years today's questionable talent would become players that can be trusted to find a way to man the position.
Winning seasons makes everyone look better than they are , losing seasons makes them look worse .

Got the magazine and love reading it all summer along with all the other College Football Preview Magazines...Athlon has us ranked #79/133 ..behind Arkansas State, James Madison , Coastal Carolina and 23 spots behind Syracuse...Team can't be that bad

QB-12
RB-12
WR-14
OL-13
DL-7
LB-12
DB-10

Looks spot except for RB and LB
Both units will be in the Top 6 . Mark it down.

RB will be Top5. Sam Brown and Kyle will set the pace for the room.
And Defense top7. We didn’t get much of a break in cross over games, but I believe we will competitive in them . 2024 brings conference realignment and maybe a little better than current alignment.

My friend, if those positions are a concern for YOU, then they are a concern for ALL Rutgers fans.
Still, we’ll play the games. That ball always bounces funny.
It's basically the entire offense. I guess kicker is good and RBs, well, if the O-line sucks it doesn't really matter if they're good.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
Southern Gentleman,
Yeah those demanding Rutgers fans unhappy with 4 win seasons and an offense that's more painful to watch than hip replacement surgery without anesthesia. We had 6 win seasons and people were thrilled. Rutgers fans are the least demanding fans on the planet--and still they get nothing.

Yeah those demanding Rutgers fans unhappy with 4 win seasons and an offense that's more painful to watch than hip replacement surgery without anesthesia. We had 6 win seasons and people were thrilled. Rutgers fans are the least demanding fans on the planet--and still they get nothing.

They get what they put in. Meanwhile OSU, PSU, and Michigan fans donate millions to field consistent winners. The biggest difference between Rutgers and those programs is money.

The magazine that I have found to be consistently better researched is the one by Phil Steele… If anyone is buying one look for his.

They get what they put in. Meanwhile OSU, PSU, and Michigan fans donate millions to field consistent winners. The biggest difference between Rutgers and those programs is money.
Lol at least you're consistent. Yeah, it's the fans fault the team can't score a TD.

Success breeds success. Fans donate to those schools because they do well. That makes fans feel good about the school and it makes fans think that there would be a return on their investment -- that their donation really will help the team get better. It's a lot harder to get fans to donate to a program that isn't doing well, just as venture capitalists don't want to invest in companies that aren't doing well. The team has to bootstrap itself, and then fans will be happy to buy tickets and to donate.

Reactions: brgRC90
Agree success breeds success. But it all starts with a good coach. We don’t have one.

Was he worth a try ? Maybe. But not worth an 8 year deal that keeps him here too long.

If this were The Gong Show, he’d be gone after this season. But we’re stuck with him at least another 3 more before we can try again at finding a coach who can compete in this conference

Rutgers competes with several teams in your area for money and fan support. Fortunately or unfortunately, Arkansas does not have that issue. But, we only have slightly more than 3M residents in total, many of which live below the poverty level and are not able to financially support.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Success breeds success. Fans donate to those schools because they do well. That makes fans feel good about the school and it makes fans think that there would be a return on their investment -- that their donation really will help the team get better. It's a lot harder to get fans to donate to a program that isn't doing well, just as venture capitalists don't want to invest in companies that aren't doing well. The team has to bootstrap itself, and then fans will be happy to buy tickets and to donate.
Consider that an awful lot of money has been thrown at the football program in the last 20 years and what we have to show for it is the 108th ranked offense. "Now, give us more money."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT