ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon Preview Book not too high on us

Didn't they predict Rutgers to finish 6th in the Big Ten East last year?
They definitely aren't reliable.

Everyone complains about off season rankings from "uninformed" media outlets every year - but when was the last time we actually exceeded expectations?

All he has to to do is wander over to the men's basketball board. I mean, have these people ever heard of the song Don't Worry, Be Happy?

Or the crickets on the women's basketball board. Coach Washington killing it now in recruiting. Crickets over there. This song would make some of our fans angry:

Until women start supporting women's sports crickets is what you'll get in all sports. I've told my wife as much when she starts complaining about unequal $. Put her $ where her mouth is, put on your gear and go to a game. Hasn't happened yet.

I personally don't see it happening. Fetch will never be a thing no matter how much money you waste promoting it.

Although they could get more attention when they become the leagues dominated by sub par men who put on a skirt.

Reactions: Fat Koko
Agree
All the talk in the world about potential means nothing on the field. At some point you have to walk the walk.
How can there even be a question? After 3 years, Schiano put a terrible product on the field. Talk means sh*t, especially from someone who hasn't delivered.

Lol at least you're consistent. Yeah, it's the fans fault the team can't score a TD.

If Rutgers fans supported the football program the way Penn State and Michigan fans supported theirs, we would have scored plenty of Touchdowns, because we would have had plenty of talent to do so. Lack of talent is the #1 reason we aren’t scoring Touchdowns. Especially on the offensive line and WR Corp. Hard to win when most of your first choice recruits choose to go elsewhere.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Consider that an awful lot of money has been thrown at the football program in the last 20 years and what we have to show for it is the 108th ranked offense. "Now, give us more money."

The money that has been spent on football, pales in comparison to the competition, especially if you consider coaching salaries. Ohio State spent $100M on the best football facility money can buy.

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
Rutgers competes with several teams in your area for money and fan support. Fortunately or unfortunately, Arkansas does not have that issue. But, we only have slightly more than 3M residents in total, many of which live below the poverty level and are not able to financially support.
We have the cheapest fan base in the country. Look at our past fundraising efforts and the total donors per funraiser. They have the money but donate squat. They love to donate their opinions on message boards and that’s it.

If Rutgers fans supported the football program the way Penn State and Michigan fans supported theirs, we would have scored plenty of Touchdowns, because we would have had plenty of talent to do so. Lack of talent is the #1 reason we aren’t scoring Touchdowns. Especially on the offensive line and WR Corp. Hard to win when most of your first choice recruits choose to go elsewhere.

Al - don't disagree that we have funding issues (frugal fans), however, if you know you can't line up with "A" recruits you have to do something different, but we don't. This is my frustration with Coach. You have to play the equivalent of Arena football and try to score all the time. We might lose 56 - 35 rather than 42 - 7, but at least it gives the fans something to cheer about.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
The money that has been spent on football, pales in comparison to the competition, especially if you consider coaching salaries. Ohio State spent $100M on the best football facility money can buy.
You're comparing us to Ohio State. What about Temple? You don't need to spend $100m to score on Temple or Indiana or Maryland. You're intent on ignoring how programs with less than us do more.

Lol like I said, at least you're consistent.

I don't know but I think the D is gonna surprise a lot of teams. Schiano has his undersized speedsters.

Reactions: Knight Shift
You're comparing us to Ohio State. What about Temple? You don't need to spend $100m to score on Temple or Indiana or Maryland. You're intent on ignoring how programs with less than us do more.
well if you're thinking Temple is a program to apire to be like, no wonder you
don't think trying to be in Ohio St's class should be a goal.
Guess that should make having RU fans donate more like Temple fans more acceptable ?

Al - don't disagree that we have funding issues (frugal fans), however, if you know you can't line up with "A" recruits you have to do something different, but we don't. This is my frustration with Coach. You have to play the equivalent of Arena football and try to score all the time. We might lose 56 - 35 rather than 42 - 7, but at least it gives the fans something to cheer about.
The old “Fake it until you make it” game plan can be a lot of fun offensively. It almost always puts rear ends in the stands as well.

well if you're thinking Temple is a program to apire to be like, no wonder you
don't think trying to be in Ohio St's class should be a goal.
Guess that should make having RU fans donate more like Temple fans more acceptable ?
Did you read the rest of my post?? I'll spell it out: you don't need $100m to score on bad or mediocre teams. Watch college football outside of Rutgers games and you'll see a lot of teams with the same or fewer resources doing more.

This is a tired issue. Some of you are intent on ignoring this fact and making excuses. Enjoy watching more bad Schiano teams while blaming everyone but him.

We beat Temple and beat Indiana. Got blasted by Maryland, who spent upwards of $250M to build the best football facility money could buy.

Did you read the rest of my post?? I'll spell it out: you don't need $100m to score on bad or mediocre teams. Watch college football outside of Rutgers games and you'll see a lot of teams with the same or fewer resources doing more.

This is a tired issue. Some of you are intent on ignoring this fact and making excuses. Enjoy watching more bad Schiano teams while blaming everyone but him.
Of course ERutgers doesn't have to invest top dollar to have a progran that can compete with the Temples, but it needs big bucks to be competitive with programs like the Buckeyes.
When Rutgers went big time it spent small time and that going on the cheap is felt today.
Seems like over the years since RU moved from a D-1AA type of schedule into a D-1A filled lineup of opponents there always has bee fans claiming RU spends to much for so little in return.
So spending remains on the cheap style making for a losing program .
When Rutgers started spending what it takes to improve the program a cry was heard about too much money going into expanding the stadium.
That cry was ignored and RU FB did pretty well, good enough to get into the B1G.
Being in the B1G cost but as for B1G spending, going on the cheap when funding a N1G program is what some want and back to being a loser but blaming every loss on everything but being too cheap to pay what it takes to win in the B1G

We beat Temple and beat Indiana. Got blasted by Maryland, who spent upwards of $250M to build the best football facility money could buy.
That's your story and you're sticking with it! Meanwhile, is Maryland any good?

Last edited:

We are doing something different by building a program that is going to prioritize the defense. And then on offense, we are going to run the ball. We are building a big physical offensive line. But this doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time.

Arena football requires a QB who can throw and fleet footed WRs who can catch. Have never been able to recruit these athletes in significant numbers.

That's your story and you're sticking with it! Meanwhile, is Maryland any good?
Maryland is spending the money so it's program can compete in the B1G and have a W-L record that makes it eligible for bowl games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT