ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Expansion talk should start

RUNYGDVLSFAN

Junior
Oct 13, 2014
I like the idea of B1G expansion talk again, with articles on PAC-12 expanding talk.
B1G is long overdue to solidify it's expansion..... i dislike the teams, but would like to make a case for:
West Virginia, PITT (which TTFP would veto), Iowa State, or get both Oklahoma & State and stick a fork in Big 12.

So you are proposing that the pie be cut into 16 slices instead of 14. This only makes sense if the new entrants increase the size of the pie, as RU and MD did.

The only team that you mention which meets that criterion is Oklahoma, who we aren't getting, and probably don't even want.

Do half of these schools even meet the basic B1G acceptance criteria?

Pitt probably does. Oklahoma as well. Texas, with their Longhorn Network, is almost Notre Dame like in that they would bring a big audience but even bigger demands.

Out of your list, my guess is only Oklahoma is on the target list of the BIG. All the others are either small market or double up on a market, or academically undesirable. That said, with going to a pay-per-view format, a small population state is ok, IF the school brings a huge loyal alumni base that is spreadout in other states.

Still, I think the BIG has a hit list that is pretty short based on academic profile, cultual fit, potential TV revenue and I'd say wrestling. My guess is UT, OK, Mizzu, UVa, UNC and ND (sans wrestling). As those are the ones that fit known criteria.

Reactions: RUsojo
The Godzilla that everyone wants is Texas. If you want Texas, you are getting Texas Tech. The state of Texas has 30 million people, tons of money, great facilities, and fanatical fans. Everyone talks about the Longhorn Network contract with ESPN, but that only brings them $15 million a year. What are Big Ten members up to each year , $60 million? LHN has been a disaster for ESPN so I would assume they would jump for joy if Texas asked out. As long as Texas agreed to be an equal partner in the Big Ten, bring them in tomorrow. No matter what happens, the Big 12 better do something soon. Their TV deals don’t come close to the Big Ten or SEC, even with this new add on—

The Godzilla that everyone wants is Texas. If you want Texas, you are getting Texas Tech. The state of Texas has 30 million people, tons of money, great facilities, and fanatical fans. Everyone talks about the Longhorn Network contract with ESPN, but that only brings them $15 million a year. What are Big Ten members up to each year , $60 million? LHN has been a disaster for ESPN so I would assume they would jump for joy if Texas asked out. As long as Texas agreed to be an equal partner in the Big Ten, bring them in tomorrow. No matter what happens, the Big 12 better do something soon. Their TV deals don’t come close to the Big Ten or SEC, even with this new add on—

I would prefer Oklahoma and Texas but I'd take Texas Tech if it meant getting Texas. The Big 12 should just disband and be broken up and let the SEC, ACC, PAC12 & BIG pick up the pieces. Four 16 team conferences, the 4 conference champs make the playoffs. Nice and clean so you know it will never happen but it would make a lot of sense IMO.

Pitt probably does.
Cable boxes, BTN can't raise more fees as they're already in Pennsylvania. I know everyone wants to say cord cutting, but the big money is still in subscriber fees. Pitt would bring nothing to the table, unlike Maryland and Rutgers. These two overdelivered for the conference not only with cable boxes but with added exposure via commercials. That pie got a lot sweeter when AT&T wanted to advertise on BTN instead of International Harvester. Thus Fox really wanted the product. Pitt won't deliver that either as it's already been delivered.

Out of your list, my guess is only Oklahoma is on the target list of the BIG. All the others are either small market or double up on a market, or academically undesirable. That said, with going to a pay-per-view format, a small population state is ok, IF the school brings a huge loyal alumni base that is spreadout in other states.

Still, I think the BIG has a hit list that is pretty short based on academic profile, cultual fit, potential TV revenue and I'd say wrestling. My guess is UT, OK, Mizzu, UVa, UNC and ND (sans wrestling). As those are the ones that fit known criteria.

Pitt not academically undesirable? I understand Kole's point about not bringing in a new market, but academically undesirable?

Reactions: scripts
Texas and Oklahoma most likely would end up in SEC if expansion proceeds.
Never happening…EVER! There is literally NO CHANCE A&M, or Arkansas or LSU (especially) allow that to happen.

Those three who pretty much control recruiting in south and east Texas, will not suddenly give the fat steer the chance to claim SEC recruiting advantages. Arkansas and A&M already know the disadvantages of being stuck with that bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s a lot of thrust and NO vectors in this thread!😆👏🏼

Why do we always miss the same points when discussing expansion? The number of "paired" schools cannot be ignored. Texas/ Texas Tech, Oklahoma/Oklahoma State, Kansas/Kansas State, Virginia/Virginia Tech. You want one you have to take them both.

From a geographic, rivalry and competition point of view, West Virginia and Pitt are the clear leaders, but all they do is drain money from the current 14. They just can't hold up their end of the revenue bargain. And WVU academically? That would be a real problem.

Reactions: Jimpeg
UNC and UVa
-public schools
-excellent academics and athletics
-locks up basketball, soccer and lacrosse
-contiguous land to current B1G footprint
-demographics make sense, south and coastal in population centers
-before you say will never happen, see Maryland-the $ was too good and they can always schedule a hoops game with Duke every year
-I'd love to be in the East pod with them and MD for football ( best of both new and old )
-the traditional B1G schools can play us less ( makes them happy )

Texas will bring the " I'm the boss" problem and you can bet Texas politicians might not look too kindly on the Longhorns going to the B1G
Someone posted Texas Tech would be made part of the move, the B1G might not find that acceptable.
Just like the Sooners bringing OKSt with them wouldn't be allowed.

Pulling Notre Dame away from thir ACC affiliation seems like a good idea, but ND has the best of both worlds ( conference affiliation for most of its sports and football independence with a conference tie) making ND joining a real long-shot

Virginia and North Carolina have been mentioned before, but I doubt either school would leave unless with ND .

The B1G's best chance to pull in a P-5 program probably would be from the B12 and even the Kansas programs would be a package entrance and not worth doing.

Texas will bring the " I'm the boss" problem and you can bet Texas politicians might not look too kindly on the Longhorns going to the B1G
Someone posted Texas Tech would be made part of the move, the B1G might not find that acceptable.
Just like the Sooners bringing OKSt with them wouldn't be allowed.

Pulling Notre Dame away from thir ACC affiliation seems like a good idea, but ND has the best of both worlds ( conference affiliation for most of its sports and football independence with a conference tie) making ND joining a real long-shot

Virginia and North Carolina have been mentioned before, but I doubt either school would leave unless with ND .

The B1G's best chance to pull in a P-5 program probably would be from the B12 and even the Kansas programs would be a package entrance and not worth doing.
is it a long, long shot.. that DUKE could cross over? They have academics, and prestige?

I think Nebraska would hookup with Oklahoma again in a heart beat if given the chance. I don't think the fanbase or the program has ever felt all in with the B1G.

We don’t need more teams.
There's always a need for more money. It's really what the conversation and big time college sports boils down to. Nebraska actually didn't work out till the whole Conference Championship games came in to play. Without it, Nebraska would have been a drain on the B1G and needed the Championship game as the 12th member to justify their entrance.

Many are now seeing why the Maryland and Rutgers admittance was such a stroke of genius. And how the ACC made some God awful decisions. The B1G money wise is substantially outpacing the almighty SEC. While the media will never eat their words, we can now say they were all wrong to scoff at the idea. Dead wrong.

The problem now is, finding a team that will bring in more than $52 million in value by itself. There just aren't many out there.

I think Nebraska would hookup with Oklahoma again in a heart beat if given the chance. I don't think the fanbase or the program has ever felt all in with the B1G.
But they didn't like the way Texas became the power-brokers when the Longhorns moved from the SWC into the Big 8 with other SEC programs to form the Big 12..
That's the reason Nebraska went B1G.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
My big fear is the adding of 2 ACC teams, then going to a pod system

out goes Michigan, M state, Ohio state
And all of a sudden we are in a ACC
light division of the big ten

not what I I envisioned when dreaming
Of the big 10

if we it want to add a Texas, Oklahoma
Or Notre Dame, then we are looking at
A couple of worthy additions, and not watering down the league

I dunno about expansion. 14 team conferences already seem too big. Not intimate enough . Don’t get to play some teams for several years. When the conference gets covered on broadcasts , 3/4 the teams aren’t even mentioned .

pods is like basically creating separate mini conferences. So then you’re only big ten by name. And it’s nearly impossible to win a conference championship in any sport.

UNC and UVa
-public schools
-before you say will never happen, see Maryland-the $ was too good and they can always schedule a hoops game with Duke every year
-I'd love to be in the East pod with them and MD for football ( best of both new and old )
Weren't NC and Virginia the choices of Delaney? Would make perfect sense financially and competitively.

Reactions: Ridge 22
UNC and UVa
-public schools
^^^This works to balance the geography and excellent schools and opens two growing markets.

Reactions: Ridge 22 and TRU2RU
But they didn't like the way Texas became the power-brokers when the Longhorns moved from the SWC into the Big 8 with other SEC programs to form the Big 12..
That's the reason Nebraska went B1G.
Your 100% correct, and with that said, I believe they would still signup for the old BIG 8 +

Your 100% correct, and with that said, I believe they would still signup for the old BIG 8 +
I would love to see the original Big 8 back , the SWC return as was and a Big East that had their football side treated like an asset , not a burden basketball has to put up with..

But time marches on and what I would like day has passed to the point of no return.
Eventually the P-5 s will be 16 teams apiece and the G-5s will be still looking though a plate glass window hoping for recognition come Playoff time.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUfinally2008
While the media will never eat their words, we can now say they were all wrong to scoff at the idea. Dead wrong.

How could they all have been wrong to scoff at the idea when they didn't all scoff at the idea? It's not like it was unanimous that this was some poor move.

I am in favor of any expansion that moves the conference eastward. Adding Oklahoma would be terrible, IMO. Would prefer Pitt and Syracuse. But UVA and UNC would be terrific adds - and would stick a knife in the ACC. That's the kind of win-win I can get behind.
need for all conferences to do well... but must admit, would love take a bite out of the ACC for helping destroy what was a good BIG East Conference ( no help from the Big East Basketball side)
UVA with Pitt... absolutely.... I can't stand Syracuse.. almost as TTFP !

Notre Dame should be the top of the list because of their national fan base.and location in the midwest.The problem is they don't want to share football revenue with the B1G teams and will remain a independent and stay in ACC for basketball.

Unless 1/16th of the future conference brings in more than 1/14th of the current, I’m voting no if I’m a school president.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLewis1968
Why does everyone assume ND would even want to join the Big Ten?
They get to beat up on crappy ACC teams now.

I say invite them and even let them have their ACC deal here.
Do we really think they are going 11-1/12-0 with 8-9 Big Ten games?

After a decade of 3-4-5 losses (or worse) they'll be begging to join for guaranteed conference money or looking to leave and jump back to ACC.

My take on all this:

1) There are NO G5 teams worth taking by any P5 conference as currently constituted. Well maybe BYU. But the Big 12 has already determined them to be not worth the trouble. And of course ND, but they aren't giving up their sweetheart deal.

2) Any expansion will be the result of the Big 12 imploding. But will that happen? I think not.

3) Obviously the Big 12 plums are Oklahoma and Texas. Texas probably takes Texas Tech with them to the SEC. Oklahoma takes Oklahoma State with them -- to the PAC 12? That leaves six teams in the Big 12. Do they disperse to the other P5's? I don't think so, because I doubt they will be in demand.

4) So the Big 12 does not implode. They rebuild. They make nice with BYU, and add Cincinnati, Houston, and SMU. Then they fight like hell to retain their P5 status. My guess is that they succeed.

UNC and UVa
-public schools
Stop with UNC! They, like Texas rule their conference. It would be like giving up your kings throne to become a peasant.

Nobody is leaving the ACC to come to the Big Ten. Notre Dame signed a long term deal with the ACC for the hybrid arrangement.
  • I think things set up perfectly for Texas to be a second hybrid member of the ACC. It gets their non-football conference to 16. Texas doesn’t think they are equal to any other conference members anyway, and no one wants Texas coming in and taking over their conference.
  • The best teams the Big Ten could add are Oklahoma and Kansas. They need to transition from the guaranteed monthly cable fee model to the “get people to buy a streaming subscription to your channel” model, and OU and KU make football and basketball more attractive.
  • The problem is, ESPN and the SEC will think the same thing and they won’t let the Big Ten get those teams without a fight. I could see them offering OU and OSU, because they have two schools in several other states.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT