ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten aims to have new media rights deal, worth up to $1 billion, in place around Memorial Day

Now imagine if the B1G had landed Ou/tu instead of the SEC…

Your post above congratulated Warren for the job he did on this deal and the 'haul' we will be receiving. That to me implies that you think this is a good deal.
I never congratulated Warren . I said it’s not bad .

Not a bad haul for a guy in Warren that was said to be unqualified for and bad at the job by many pos
Not a bad haul for a guy in Warren that was said to be unqualified for and bad at the job by many posters here
Don’t let them here you say that out loud. Lol. According to “them” this is all delanys work that he laid out before he left and continues to do in his retirement. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Not true. This is a mis-notion that keeps getting repeated. We ARE getting a full share. The fact that we are paying back advances we received early on against that full share amount does nothing to change the fact that we are still EARNING a full share. What you earn and what you receive as cash flow are two entirely different concepts that keep getting confused. I am a CPA, so it bothers me when people misstate what is really happening.
my problem with the original deal was that, while Rutgers payouts were FIXED.. the Big Ten shares were not. That is, Rutgers buy-in payouts were based on certain expectations and the Big Ten, which Rutgers was now a part of, EXCEEDED those expectations and Rutgers did not enjoy an increased share like the other programs did.

That could have been established from the start.. Rutgers could have had a percentage reduction rather than a fixed payout each season. In any case, we could not say no to any deal that got us in. It's just a shame that the Big Ten could not step up and reward their new partners (Rutgers and Maryland) with a taste of the newly increased payouts. Fair is fair. We helped earn it.

What is UConn getting? $71 or $75 or $100 million are just crazy numbers...and we are pissing on it?
Do you think we'd be the only Big Ten fan base that wonders if $1B is just as good as the $1.1 or $1.2 talked about? I think not. As soon as talks of $100M a team came up.. people were thinking $1.4B...

Of course, a realist would look at all the turmoil in the business world and politics and culture and wonder if a lesser deal (though great) is really the best to be had under these conditions.

Not bad is not bad. It’s not great or good.
Did you miss that day in 4th grade vocabulary class?
So, you were complimenting him and not the actual deal, correct?

That's how I read it.

Last edited:
What is UConn getting? $71 or $75 or $100 million are just crazy numbers...and we are pissing on it?

In case you haven't noticed - the general make-up of this board is "Glass Half Empty" meets "I'll hold my grudge agenda forever".
I think it’s closer to what @GoodOl'Rutgers said in his response than the former.

And as others have explained this is probably just one part (a HUGE one) of the deal so there is potentially some more $$$$ to be made.

Reactions: knightinaz
Don’t let them here you say that out loud. Lol. According to “them” this is all delanys work that he laid out before he left and continues to do in his retirement. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Who is them? People here were reading in excess of $1 billion from experts in the field, the article posted was quoting $1 billion or $71 mil. a school. That would be below the low water mark which is why people are questioning it. On Delany, we wouldn't even be having this discussion if he didn't have the foresight to only sign a 6 yr. deal. So yeah you can thank him for this windfall which is about to be bestowed on the Conference.

As someone else mentioned, this is only for Tier 1 and Tier 2 TV deals. It does not include BTN money, NCAA tourney distributions, Bowls and CFB Playoff money. Currently, this additional money accounts for around $20-$25 million annually to each school. This is in advance of an expanded playoff and recently extended NCAA tourney tv deal.

Last edited:
As someone else mentioned, this is only for Tier 1 and Tier 2 TV deals. It does not include BTN money, NCAA tourney distributions, Bowls and CFB Playoff money. Currently, this additional money accounts for around $20-$25 million annually to each school. This is in advance of an expanded playoff and renegotiated NCAA tourney tv deal.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

As someone else mentioned, this is only for Tier 1 and Tier 2 TV deals. It does not include BTN money, NCAA tourney distributions, Bowls and CFB Playoff money. Currently, this additional money accounts for around $20-$25 million annually to each school. This is in advance of an expanded playoff and recently extended NCAA tourney tv deal.
Thanks.. solid info.. great ADD. Had no idea that BTN games were not included.

So i saw in one of the articles that

"But in 2020, a new bar was set with the SEC’s gargantuan 10-year, $3 billion deal with Disney that will commence in 2024."

Assuming worst case $1 billion per year for the BIG or 10-year, $10 billion deal with FOX/Amazon/NBC(Whatever),

Is that apples to apples? Every other article that projects future earnings show the SEC still getting more money per school in 5-10 years....

But that seems like a 7 Billion difference

Here is one article

0030087-mkxo-1280X720.jpg

Is the thought process that ESPN will need to renegotiate completely because of Texas and Oklahoma?
Do these projections not believe that the BIG was going to get 1 Billion per year...?

Last edited:
Well as @cubuffsdoug said and @koleszar mentioned too…$75M was the low end and kind of expected.

While great it’s not the “WOW” some of us thought. But again, not a done deal yet so who knows.
Was the 100 mill just for the one contract or with the big ten network money included I'm assuming btn money is separate

So i saw in one of the articles that

"But in 2020, a new bar was set with the SEC’s gargantuan 10-year, $3 billion deal with Disney that will commence in 2024."

Assuming worst case $1 billion per year for the BIG or 10-year, $10 billion deal with FOX/Amazon/NBC(Whatever),

Is that apples to apples? Every other article that projects future earnings show the SEC still getting more money per school in 5-10 years....

But that seems like a 7 Billion difference

Here is one article

0030087-mkxo-1280X720.jpg

Is the thought process that ESPN will need to renegotiate completely because of Texas and Oklahoma?
Do these projections not believe that the BIG was going to get 1 Billion per year...?
What's not mentioned is Disney greasing the plank to push ESPN off it. Disney plans to split ESPN from Disney's holding as its own company. It will not be under Disney's control. Think of Time Warner Cable (Spectrum) as no longer a part of Time Warner Media to get an idea of what will happen in the future. ESPN's ability to write checks without fear of it bouncing may be coming to an end. ESPN may lose the ability to showcase primetime "big game" since ABC will likely remain a part of Disney. I've read ESPN has cost more to Disney than what it's worth.

I am curious how the SEC will double its payout from ESPN, even with the addition of UT & OU, to over $100 when the league is locked in to contract for the next 10+ years? This has to be based on Disney continuing to write checks. Why would ESPN give a significant share to the SEC when that cuts into its profits? Unless ESPN finds another partner (network) to split the cost, I find it hard to believe the SEC will reach the $100 million level in 2026 even with the addition of UT and OU.

The article assumes ESPN is still in the driver's seat. Keep in mind the move by the B1G, ACC, and the Pac 12 to let the college playoff contract expire hurts ESPN's bottom line. Losing control of the playoffs and other networks renewing attacks to gain access to bowl games will back ESPN into a corner. Remember, nothing good last forever.

Was the 100 mill just for the one contract or with the big ten network money included I'm assuming btn money is separate
After hearing from others in the thread I think it’s separate too.

Which is good news since that means this is only part of the equation.

don't even try--some on here just love the blame game or, more probable, just too dumb
Here’s what’s important in the payout game, how everyone reports it. There’s still this perception out there that Rutgers athletics is a drain on the University. Show me an article where they report Rutgers received $52.6 mil. In payouts like the rest of the league save Maryland? They all report our take home after the advances are deducted leaving athletics with a bigger deficit in the Subsidy reporting.

Do you or I care that Athletics receives $20 mil. In Direct Institutional Support? No. Does the media, professors, uneducated taxpayers and politicians? Absolutely. Athletics is still going to function no matter what. Changing that perception and getting these people off their asses while doing it is the goal. No one cares about the technical.aspect of it, they just want to see the bottom line. So too dumb no, it’s just how people see things.

Who is them? People here were reading in excess of $1 billion from experts in the field, the article posted was quoting $1 billion or $71 mil. a school. That would be below the low water mark which is why people are questioning it. On Delany, we wouldn't even be having this discussion if he didn't have the foresight to only sign a 6 yr. deal. So yeah you can thank him for this windfall which is about to be bestowed on the Conference.

It took a minute to sink in that it would be $1 billion per year!! Wow
While we would most assuredly be ahead of the Syracuse's of the world, the reality is all of our conference mates get the same payout.

Where we really need to rise is giving levels. Everyone must give something.

But yea, this is going to be an incredible boon for the B1G. Hats off to Delany. What a visionary that guy is to put the conference, and us, in this position.

Here’s what’s important in the payout game, how everyone reports it. There’s still this perception out there that Rutgers athletics is a drain on the University. Show me an article where they report Rutgers received $52.6 mil. In payouts like the rest of the league save Maryland? They all report our take home after the advances are deducted leaving athletics with a bigger deficit in the Subsidy reporting.

Do you or I care that Athletics receives $20 mil. In Direct Institutional Support? No. Does the media, professors, uneducated taxpayers and politicians? Absolutely. Athletics is still going to function no matter what. Changing that perception and getting these people off their asses while doing it is the goal. No one cares about the technical.aspect of it, they just want to see the bottom line. So too dumb no, it’s just how people see things.

Our President has a number of flaws imo, but sports is not one of them. He's all in. And he's told the faculty that.

They can whine all the want. Investments will continue to grow in athletics and winning is more of a focus than ever.

We have the right AD and the right vision. Now it's execution time. The Rutgers of old is dead.

Our President has a number of flaws imo, but sports is not one of them. He's all in. And he's told the faculty that.

They can whine all the want. Investments will continue to grow in athletics and winning is more of a focus than ever.

We have the right AD and the right vision. Now it's execution time. The Rutgers of old is dead.
I've met him and talked with him at length. I don't agree he has a number of flaws.
But nobody is perfect, and it is rare for to agree with everything leader does, and they are entitled to their opinion. You qualified what you said with imo, so all good.

Texas market is HUGE... and I'd bet there are a lot of Sooner fans across the Red River too.. We talked about the TV households added by Rutgers and Maryland... if you think of college football fan likelihood and interest in these teams.. it is competitive.. and more importantly..

Rutgers and Maryland (and likely PSU fans in NJ and other Big Ten fans in NYC, DC etc)

NY 7,348,620
PHL 2,942,800
DC 2,476,680
Balt 1,119,480

Texas and Oklahoma (hmm.. they already had A&M so maybe they should get partial credit too)

Dal 2,713,380
Hou 2,450,800
SanAn 938,660
Aust 771,210
OkC 722,140
Tuls 531,230

SEC TV markets in Top 100 (102) after the add.. not sure it is complete.. but you can see the issue with the SEC.. just doesn't have the TV reach that the Big Ten has. Texas/Oklahoma adds a lot of power.. and ESPN can force-feed the SEC into NYC and other big markets. And they will hype them endlessly to try to win ratings battles making their investment look sound

Dal 2,713,380
Hou 2,450,800 *prolly had a chunk of this with A&M
Atl 2,412,730
Tampa 1,908,590 *prolly shared with FlaState
Orlando/Daytona 1,519,570
St. Louis 1,215,570
Charlotte 1,189,950 *Partial maybe.. SC/TN
Nashville 1,011,570
SanAn 938,660
Greenvll-Spart-Ashevll-And 845,990 * might be more ACC
Aust 771,210
OkC 722,140
Birmingham (Ann and Tusc) 696,380
Jacksonville 688,500
Memphis 633,930
Little Rock-Pine Bluff 547,950
Tulsa 531,230
Mobile-Pensacola (Ft Walt) 528,320
Knoxville 514,610
Lexington 479,420
Springfield, MO 409,020
Columbia, SC 400,790
Shreveport 371,760
Paducah-Cape Girard-Harsbg 369,390
Waco-Temple-Bryan 357,720 *Traditional rivals will be watched
Chattanooga 351,220
Savannah 340,050
Baton Rouge 330,910
Charleston, SC 327,040
Jackson, MS 321,830
Ft. Smith-Fay-Sprngdl-Rgrs 304,670
Myrtle Beach-Florence 291,680 ** 102nd market.. but I adedd it

my problem with the original deal was that, while Rutgers payouts were FIXED.. the Big Ten shares were not. That is, Rutgers buy-in payouts were based on certain expectations and the Big Ten, which Rutgers was now a part of, EXCEEDED those expectations and Rutgers did not enjoy an increased share like the other programs did.

That could have been established from the start.. Rutgers could have had a percentage reduction rather than a fixed payout each season. In any case, we could not say no to any deal that got us in. It's just a shame that the Big Ten could not step up and reward their new partners (Rutgers and Maryland) with a taste of the newly increased payouts. Fair is fair. We helped earn it.

Let's set aside the original 6 year buy-in which as you mentioned was horrifically one-sided for the BIG (in addition to FIXED payouts - those FIXED payouts were based on our Big East/AAC payouts and not the actual value of the Big Ten Network share we were buying into).

Fall 2018 report:
https://www.nj.com/sports/g66l-2019...big-ten-and-you-wont-believe-the-numbers.html

https://scarletknights.com/documents/2019/1/31/CSS_Rutgers_Final_Report.pdf

2015-2020 we were allocated a reduced share as part of 6 year buy-in.
2021 we began to be "allocated" a full share.

However, we are "receiving" less because of advances:
$10m Initial Advance:
2019 - 3m
2020 - 7m
Additional 2017 advance of $38m
2018 - 14m
2019 - 13m
2020 - 11m

These are being repaid from 2021 through 2026 through "reduced shares"

YearFull Share Allocation (projected)Rutgers Share (projected)Difference
2021​
$54,636,350​
$43,705,600​
$10,930,750​
2022​
$56,275,441​
$46,029,566​
$10,245,875​
2023​
$57,963,704​
$48,941,204​
$9,022,500​
2024​
$59,702,615​
$50,970,215​
$8,732,400​
2025​
$61,493,693​
$53,055,193​
$8,438,500​
2026​
$63,338,504​
$56,178,379​
$7,160,125​
2027​
$65,238,659​
$65,238,659​
$0​
$54,530,150​

The original payback projections were NOT based on the upcoming increase in "full share payout". Just a 3% annual increase each year from 2018.
It is critical that our current "reduced shares" are NOT fixed like the buy-in.
We need to receive $65m in 2023 (approx $75m-$9m) and NOT still receive the projected $48m.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Let's set aside the original 6 year buy-in which as you mentioned was horrifically one-sided for the BIG (in addition to FIXED payouts - those FIXED payouts were based on our Big East/AAC payouts and not the actual value of the Big Ten Network share we were buying into).

Fall 2018 report:
https://www.nj.com/sports/g66l-2019...big-ten-and-you-wont-believe-the-numbers.html

https://scarletknights.com/documents/2019/1/31/CSS_Rutgers_Final_Report.pdf

2015-2020 we were allocated a reduced share as part of 6 year buy-in.
2021 we began to be "allocated" a full share.

However, we are "receiving" less because of advances:
$10m Initial Advance:
2019 - 3m
2020 - 7m
Additional 2017 advance of $38m
2018 - 14m
2019 - 13m
2020 - 11m

These are being repaid from 2021 through 2026 through "reduced shares"

YearFull Share Allocation (projected)Rutgers Share (projected)Difference
2021​
$54,636,350​
$43,705,600​
$10,930,750​
2022​
$56,275,441​
$46,029,566​
$10,245,875​
2023​
$57,963,704​
$48,941,204​
$9,022,500​
2024​
$59,702,615​
$50,970,215​
$8,732,400​
2025​
$61,493,693​
$53,055,193​
$8,438,500​
2026​
$63,338,504​
$56,178,379​
$7,160,125​
2027​
$65,238,659​
$65,238,659​
$0​
$54,530,150​

The original payback projections were based NOT based on the upcoming increase in "full share payout".
It is critical that our current "reduced shares" are NOT fixed like the buy-in.
We need to receive $65m in 2023 (approx $75m-$9m) and NOT still receive the projected $48m.
That's usury. Clearly, the advances were loans. That's predatory lending!

WAIT.. were those ALL advances? The 10 and 38 as well as the 3, 7, 14, 13, 11 ? No... I see the 10 and 38 are the totals of the per year number., So paying back 54M over 6 years for 38M over 5 years... what interest rate would that represent?

Thanks to runaway inflation, at least we are paying back in cheaper dollars...

Last edited:
Reactions: NickRU714
Well Memorial Day has passed - seems like crickets aside from some articles 2 weeks ago that there was no firm time table. Hoping it is sooner than later.... Curious to see if we send some stuff to Amazon/Apple.

Well Memorial Day has passed - seems like crickets aside from some articles 2 weeks ago that there was no firm time table. Hoping it is sooner than later.... Curious to see if we send some stuff to Amazon/Apple.
Economy is about to crash and burn, I think all these media outlets, including streaming, are rethinking exactly how much they can spend on this type of content.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Economy is about to crash and burn, I think all these media outlets, including streaming, are rethinking exactly how much they can spend on this type of content.
Well, live content (and the gambling that goes along with it) is the one that pushes it.

So let’s hope for our case it still is true…live content = $$$$.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect the streamers to be anything more than a supplement to traditional broadcast tv. I'd be surprised if they got some exclusive broadcasts with only streaming like NFL Thursdays on Amazon.

To an extent the amount they spend on content in general could be curtailed but the amount they spend for premium content I don't think will be affected too much. It's their lifeblood and they need content, especially live content, that will attract viewers.

I think content that is known to attract viewers will still be fine. It's the throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks type of content that might get hurt.

Reactions: BLewis1968
To an extent the amount they spend on content in general could be curtailed but the amount they spend for premium content I don't think will be affected too much. It's their lifeblood and they need content, especially live content, that will attract viewers.

I think content that is known to attract viewers will still be fine. It's the throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks type of content that might get hurt.
Like the new USFL.

I would love for us to be the big 330 game on cbs . Same window sec has now . The production cbs gives is outstanding . And great theme music

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT