ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten aims to have new media rights deal, worth up to $1 billion, in place around Memorial Day

I don't know the finer details. Fox has the rights for I think half the package but even the details of that aren't hammered out yet according to reports....just how many games and the money probably still to be determined. I'm sure it will be based off what the other networks bid etc.. How the other half is split, we'll see. Again like I mentioned above, it could be another a situation of paying more for less with regards to the networks. I hope they split it 3 ways like I mentioned above and in the past and it seems like a possibility now. I'd stick with Fox, ESPN and peel off a game a week for CBS. Instead of the 300M/yr ESPN paid for the SEC GOTW maybe 100-200M for a B10 game but not particularly a top end one..maybe something on Friday nights for AMZN if they come in with a whopping number...something along those lines.
Just no AppleTV, please! The one MLB broadcast they did for a Mets game was horrific.

Reactions: czxqa and Leonard23
Like mentioned above they seem like a dark horse candidate. If there’s a streaming piece it would most likely be to Amazon but we’ll see.
I'm cool with Amazon getting a low to mid level game on Fridays. Agree, just no Apple.

With regards to this...
"Fox already has a deal in place to remain the conference’s biggest media partner, though the size of that package still hasn’t been determined as the conference figures out who its other media partners will be."

Is it possible that Fox's deal depends on what others offer, but that Fox would get a certain percentage. That way even with Fox standing in with the other bidders, what they have to pay or percentage that the keep varies based on Market Value? Who knows, but i am interested to know how Fox has a deal already for something, but that can't/has not been disclosed/leaked.

I say give ESPN something, CBS or NBC something, and a game to Amazon.

I'm cool with Amazon getting a low to mid level game on Fridays. Agree, just no Apple.

With regards to this...
"Fox already has a deal in place to remain the conference’s biggest media partner, though the size of that package still hasn’t been determined as the conference figures out who its other media partners will be."

Is it possible that Fox's deal depends on what others offer, but that Fox would get a certain percentage. That way even with Fox standing in with the other bidders, what they have to pay or percentage that the keep varies based on Market Value? Who knows, but i am interested to know how Fox has a deal already for something, but that can't/has not been disclosed/leaked.

I say give ESPN something, CBS or NBC something, and a game to Amazon.
Hoping that experiment was a phase.

Or it’s just the first game of the season. Which as I said all along we should sign up for…

hunger-games-volunteer.gif

Hoping that experiment was a phase.

Or it’s just the first game of the season. Which as I said all along we should sign up for…

hunger-games-volunteer.gif
It's not likely an experimental phase, if there's a package that's given to Amazon it'll be a set of games not just one opening game.

Just heard a podcast from that SBJ journalist John Ourand and he said Amazon has come in with a big offer for the B10 but no details on what that means and nothing formalized yet either. Also mentioned that at one time Apple was out front for the NFL Sunday Ticket but now Amazon is neck and neck with them and ESPN has kind of gone to the wayside because money is probably too much. Point being Amazon is definitely not experimenting and is trying to get a foothold in some premium sports properties.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It's not likely an experimental phase, if there's a package that's given to Amazon it'll be a set of games not just one opening game.

Just heard a podcast from that SBJ journalist John Ourand and he said Amazon has come in with a big offer for the B10 but no details on what that means and nothing formalized yet either. Also mentioned that at one time Apple was out front for the NFL Sunday Ticket but now Amazon is neck and neck with them and ESPN has kind of gone to the wayside because money is probably too much. Point being Amazon is definitely not experimenting and is trying to get a foothold in some premium sports properties.
Take the money and run. 🤣

Oh I know.

Just not a fan of the Friday night thing. I only like it for the first game as there is no HS yet. And it’s cooler, temp wise, for the players.

Reactions: Leonard23
Oh I know.

Just not a fan of the Friday night thing. I only like it for the first game as there is no HS yet. And it’s cooler, temp wise, for the players.
I think the best option to maximize the money networks are willing to throw around is to split the B1G package across a few networks. Fox gets the noon game to start the day off right. CBS is excellent at producing the 3:30 game, which would give the B1G great exposure. Remember, people are used to that SEC time slot and will likely check out the game just because they need that fix. If NBC wants a primetime game, give them one. The more B1G teams on networks, the better the perception of the product. ESPN is relegating some SEC schools to ESPN+ to provide them with prime view times. Guess what? No one outside of the SEC paying fans will tune in to those games. Free game, with solid advertising, will win out over niche paid subscriptions.

I know Amazon and Prime are not experts when showcasing live sporting events, but they have silly money to throw around. If they want a B1G game, secondary tier, give it to them for Friday nights. It will be the only game in power 5 game in town that night. People will choose power 5 over MWC or Sun Belt 9 times out of 10. Also, if this is successful, I bet some well-respected programs from power 5 conferences may inquire about joining the B1G. Amazon and Prime are likely to overpay to get into the party.

Another thing I would do once the B1G signs this new deal is be an advocate for the Pac 12 to the networks and the ACC down the road. The Pac 12 has some name programs that would help control the SEC/ESPN power move westward if they gain greater exposure in better time slots. The ratings would improve if programs like USC, Oregon, or UCLA played more games at 3:30 in the afternoon or primetime (7:30/8:00) than 10:30 EST. The B1G should push to cannibalize the Big 12 between themselves and the Pac 12. Punish the Big 12 for trying to cuddle up to the SEC.

The push for the ACC in the future is to tear ESPN into pieces from the inside. ESPN has made it clear it's the SEC or bust. Anyone with some sense in the ACC would plan their exit while leaving a trail of destruction because ESPN truly undervalued the conference and pushed them into second-class citizens.

I think the best option to maximize the money networks are willing to throw around is to split the B1G package across a few networks. Fox gets the noon game to start the day off right. CBS is excellent at producing the 3:30 game, which would give the B1G great exposure. Remember, people are used to that SEC time slot and will likely check out the game just because they need that fix. If NBC wants a primetime game, give them one. The more B1G teams on networks, the better the perception of the product. ESPN is relegating some SEC schools to ESPN+ to provide them with prime view times. Guess what? No one outside of the SEC paying fans will tune in to those games. Free game, with solid advertising, will win out over niche paid subscriptions.

I know Amazon and Prime are not experts when showcasing live sporting events, but they have silly money to throw around. If they want a B1G game, secondary tier, give it to them for Friday nights. It will be the only game in power 5 game in town that night. People will choose power 5 over MWC or Sun Belt 9 times out of 10. Also, if this is successful, I bet some well-respected programs from power 5 conferences may inquire about joining the B1G. Amazon and Prime are likely to overpay to get into the party.

Another thing I would do once the B1G signs this new deal is be an advocate for the Pac 12 to the networks and the ACC down the road. The Pac 12 has some name programs that would help control the SEC/ESPN power move westward if they gain greater exposure in better time slots. The ratings would improve if programs like USC, Oregon, or UCLA played more games at 3:30 in the afternoon or primetime (7:30/8:00) than 10:30 EST. The B1G should push to cannibalize the Big 12 between themselves and the Pac 12. Punish the Big 12 for trying to cuddle up to the SEC.

The push for the ACC in the future is to tear ESPN into pieces from the inside. ESPN has made it clear it's the SEC or bust. Anyone with some sense in the ACC would plan their exit while leaving a trail of destruction because ESPN truly undervalued the conference and pushed them into second-class citizens.
I don’t understand your strategy of the B1G building up PAC 12 and ACC schools.

So, not only is the B1G going to stupidly and shortsightedly fail to take advantage of their current market situation and the end of the PAC12 contract by expanding westward with an expansion of PAC12 schools, they should expend effort to increase the value of PAC12 schools which will make it easier for the SEC to decide who to cherry pick for their super conference in the future?

So, not only is the B1G going to stupidly and shortsightedly fail to take advantage of their current market situation and the end of the PAC12 contract by expanding westward with an expansion of PAC12 schools, they should expend effort to increase the value of PAC12 schools which will make it easier for the SEC to decide who to cherry pick for their super conference in the future?
I won't say it will happen but I still wouldn't rule out PAC12 schools moving and ACC schools in the future in mid 2030s when the GORs are up. If the richest athletic department in the country (Texas) can leave a conference it basically was in charge of because they were worried about falling behind well then what do you think the USCs and others of the world who have value and aren't in the B10/SEC must be thinking? NIL only puts more pressure on donors/schools budgets and to maximize how much they get from media deals.

You should see Swarbrick's comments in a SI article from April. Talk about 2 solar systems (SEC/B10) and their gravitational pull and how schools (which he wouldn't name) wanting to leave their current conferences and mentioning 2030s as a time of change (GORs expire). All things I've mentioned myself here, including possibly ND finally joining a conference be it the ACC (a move that might save it) or the B10 but again mid 2030s is the timeframe. When Texas/OU left I've said a few times that I think a B10 national conference would be good idea and make it a super premium sports property...first step to the west with these tv deals coming up and the next to the east in the mid 2030s but we'll see if anything happens.

Really, if anything happens it will be similar to Texas/OU, it's not the B10 going out to fish for any school, it's more likely they come knocking just like Texas/OU. None of these schools want to move but as usually is the case, the big difference in finances is what overcomes the inertia. So if they want to move and the networks will pay, it will happen.

From the article:

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick told Sports Illustrated that he believes the breakup of college sports at the NCAA Division I level is “inevitable,” and puts a potential target date on that seismic change as the mid-2030s. Swarbrick also said there are “so many” schools trying to leave their current conferences, but they’re handcuffed by existing contracts.

And when those contractual obligations begin to run out, that’s when big changes could occur.

“Absent a national standard, which I don’t see coming, I think it’s inevitable,” Swarbrick said. “Mid-30s would be the logical time.”

The Southeastern Conference media rights deal runs through 2033–34. The Atlantic Coast goes through 2035–36. The Big Ten is in its negotiation window now, with Fox Sports positioned to be the major stakeholder. The Pac-12 and Big 12 are next on the clock.

Should the schism come, Notre Dame would be among those that still tied its athletics to the educational mission of the school and answered to its president and academic administration. Others could essentially be spun off while retaining the school name and branding. A theoretical example (not proffered by Swarbrick): Oregon Ducks Athletics, Inc.

The expectation is that the Big Ten and SEC will continue to leave the rest of the Power Five conferences behind in terms of revenue. The widening gap will place more stress on the current landscape, leading some schools to move away from their existing conference affiliations—and possibly leading some leagues to boot longtime members that don’t bring as much to the revenue trough.

“We’re going to have these two conferences that have so distanced themselves from anyone else financially,” Swarbrick said. “That’s where I see it starting to break down. There are so many schools trying to get out of their current conference, and they can’t get there.”

Asked which schools could be looking to move, Swarbrick answered, “None that I’d share.”

Another article from Pete Thamel about an all SEC playoff which I don't think will happen but it does reference the point about pressure on the brand programs in the PAC12/ACC and their conferences falling far behind financially.

From the article:

From the Supreme Court ruling in the Alston case that empowered the conferences to the widening financial gap between the SEC and Big Ten and the rest of the leagues, there are significant pressure points emerging.

Talk to enough smart people around the college sports landscape, and few think that in five years it will look similar to how it does now. The ACC and Pac-12 being so far behind financially is going to apply significant pressure on their brand-name programs like Clemson and USC. The ACC has a grant of rights that would present significant legal challenges to anyone attempting to leave before 2036. The Pac-12's contract and grant of rights are up after just two more football seasons.

While the Big Ten joined The Alliance to help calm the landscape, it will be interesting to see how long that lasts. Will pressure increase on the Big Ten to add members and attempt to keep up with the SEC? Could the SEC's next postseason exploration include more realignment ploys? Again, the Supreme Court has dictated that leagues can forge their own paths, accentuating the lack of leadership for decades from the NCAA. (Sankey was no fan of outgoing NCAA President Mark Emmert. But few were.)

Reactions: Myrtleknight
I won't say it will happen but I still wouldn't rule out PAC12 schools moving and ACC schools in the future in mid 2030s when the GORs are up. If the richest athletic department in the country (Texas) can leave a conference it basically was in charge of because they were worried about falling behind well then what do you think the USCs and others of the world who have value and aren't in the B10/SEC must be thinking? NIL only puts more pressure on donors/schools budgets and to maximize how much they get from media deals.

You should see Swarbrick's comments in a SI article from April. Talk about 2 solar systems (SEC/B10) and their gravitational pull and how schools (which he wouldn't name) wanting to leave their current conferences and mentioning 2030s as a time of change (GORs expire). All things I've mentioned myself here, including possibly ND finally joining a conference be it the ACC (a move that might save it) or the B10 but again mid 2030s is the timeframe. When Texas/OU left I've said a few times that I think a B10 national conference would be good idea and make it a super premium sports property...first step to the west with these tv deals coming up and the next to the east in the mid 2030s but we'll see if anything happens.

Really, if anything happens it will be similar to Texas/OU, it's not the B10 going out to fish for any school, it's more likely they come knocking just like Texas/OU. None of these schools want to move but as usually is the case, the big difference in finances is what overcomes the inertia. So if they want to move and the networks will pay, it will happen.

From the article:

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick told Sports Illustrated that he believes the breakup of college sports at the NCAA Division I level is “inevitable,” and puts a potential target date on that seismic change as the mid-2030s. Swarbrick also said there are “so many” schools trying to leave their current conferences, but they’re handcuffed by existing contracts.

And when those contractual obligations begin to run out, that’s when big changes could occur.

“Absent a national standard, which I don’t see coming, I think it’s inevitable,” Swarbrick said. “Mid-30s would be the logical time.”

The Southeastern Conference media rights deal runs through 2033–34. The Atlantic Coast goes through 2035–36. The Big Ten is in its negotiation window now, with Fox Sports positioned to be the major stakeholder. The Pac-12 and Big 12 are next on the clock.

Should the schism come, Notre Dame would be among those that still tied its athletics to the educational mission of the school and answered to its president and academic administration. Others could essentially be spun off while retaining the school name and branding. A theoretical example (not proffered by Swarbrick): Oregon Ducks Athletics, Inc.

The expectation is that the Big Ten and SEC will continue to leave the rest of the Power Five conferences behind in terms of revenue. The widening gap will place more stress on the current landscape, leading some schools to move away from their existing conference affiliations—and possibly leading some leagues to boot longtime members that don’t bring as much to the revenue trough.

“We’re going to have these two conferences that have so distanced themselves from anyone else financially,” Swarbrick said. “That’s where I see it starting to break down. There are so many schools trying to get out of their current conference, and they can’t get there.”

Asked which schools could be looking to move, Swarbrick answered, “None that I’d share.”

Another article from Pete Thamel about an all SEC playoff which I don't think will happen but it does reference the point about pressure on the brand programs in the PAC12/ACC and their conferences falling far behind financially.

From the article:

From the Supreme Court ruling in the Alston case that empowered the conferences to the widening financial gap between the SEC and Big Ten and the rest of the leagues, there are significant pressure points emerging.

Talk to enough smart people around the college sports landscape, and few think that in five years it will look similar to how it does now. The ACC and Pac-12 being so far behind financially is going to apply significant pressure on their brand-name programs like Clemson and USC. The ACC has a grant of rights that would present significant legal challenges to anyone attempting to leave before 2036. The Pac-12's contract and grant of rights are up after just two more football seasons.

While the Big Ten joined The Alliance to help calm the landscape, it will be interesting to see how long that lasts. Will pressure increase on the Big Ten to add members and attempt to keep up with the SEC? Could the SEC's next postseason exploration include more realignment ploys? Again, the Supreme Court has dictated that leagues can forge their own paths, accentuating the lack of leadership for decades from the NCAA. (Sankey was no fan of outgoing NCAA President Mark Emmert. But few were.)

The ACC schools got played. They threw in completely with ESPN to raid the Big East and didn’t realize they were trapping themselves in a situation where in the short term they are treated by ESPN as the “red headed step child” compared to the SEC and in the long term they will be raided by ESPN/SEC to help fill out the super conference (and there will be nothing they can do about it because they are so locked up contractually by ESPN).

The PAC12 schools are available soon. The B1G is at the perfect time to add schools because their contract is on the open market. The SEC needs time to pass in order to incorporate the OU/TX additions so they can’t add PAC12 schools yet.

To pass up the opportunity to set up the B1G as a national conference with a PAC12 expansion and kill the SEC super conference idea before it gets started, and instead do nothing and give the SEC the time it needs before it can make a PAC12 move, is incompetence by B1G leadership.

From the article:

From the article:

I can see this happening in the Mid 2030s. The ACC teams can't do anything for another decade. The PAC12 teams might think their is hope in the current landscape and USC is likely decided to stay for the moment.

If in 10 years it is clear that it is the SEC vs the BIG 10, I actually believe that the PAC 12 would come with 4-6 teams. Money aside to have a national brand you need at least 2 teams from Cal, 1 from Wash, 1 from Ore and likely Colorado and Arizona. Probably 4 teams from the ACC, North Carolina, Virginia, I would expect to want some presence in FL, GA and have a 24 Team Conference. Can't see the BIG10 taking any Big12 teams aside from wanting a presence in Florida or Texas. What I can't seen is any team east of Rutgers getting considered.

I know 6 teams from the west coast dilutes the money per school. but it creates a somewhat viable west coast division and the overall money per school is greater with their addition.

A 24 Team BIG10 from Coast to Coast by 2040.

While the SEC can only pick up Big12 teams and Southern ACC teams. I guess they can convince Virginia and North Carolina, but i suspect they would prefer the BIG10

The ACC schools got played. They threw in completely with ESPN to raid the Big East and didn’t realize they were trapping themselves in a situation where in the short term they are treated by ESPN as the “red headed step child” compared to the SEC and in the long term they will be raided by ESPN/SEC to help fill out the super conference (and there will be nothing they can do about it because they are so locked up contractually by ESPN).

The PAC12 schools are available soon. The B1G is at the perfect time to add schools because their contract is on the open market. The SEC needs time to pass in order to incorporate the OU/TX additions so they can’t add PAC12 schools yet.

To pass up the opportunity to set up the B1G as a national conference with a PAC12 expansion and kill the SEC super conference idea before it gets started, and instead do nothing and give the SEC the time it needs before it can make a PAC12 move, is incompetence by B1G leadership.
Agree with the first part.

I don't believe that if the SEC makes a play for USC and friends, that they will jump at the chance. They would likely first go to the BIG 10 and say, are you taking us? We wanted to stay in the Pac12, but that is not sustainable in the future.

USC and the PAC12 will make one last ditch effort contract for sustainability and then reach out to the BIG10 in 7-10 years.

Plain and simple, I want ESPiN to burn in hell. I'm not talking about putting the Pac 12 on the same level. I want to screw the Big 12 for supporting the SEC and to lessen the influence of the ESPiN.

Plain and simple, I want ESPiN to burn in hell. I'm not talking about putting the Pac 12 on the same level. I want to screw the Big 12 for supporting the SEC and to lessen the influence of the ESPiN.
The best way for the B1G to screw ESPN is to expand into a national conference with PAC12 additions, crush their dreams of a 30 or so team cfb super conference that they hold the media rights to, and rub their face in it by giving part of the media rights to a streaming company like Amazon that their dying business model can’t compete with.

Agree with the first part.

I don't believe that if the SEC makes a play for USC and friends, that they will jump at the chance. They would likely first go to the BIG 10 and say, are you taking us? We wanted to stay in the Pac12, but that is not sustainable in the future.

USC and the PAC12 will make one last ditch effort contract for sustainability and then reach out to the BIG10 in 7-10 years.
This is the perfect, uncomplicated time to take a run at the PAC12 because the B1G contracts are in negotiation and the PAC12 contract is close to ending, making those schools easier to get.

Waiting only complicates things. When you add teams in the middle of an existing TV deal, you have to work within the constraints of your contract partners like the SEC and ACC have to work with ESPN.

Imagine how much money the SEC would make if they were adding OU and Texas when their contracts were in the open market.

The best way for the B1G to screw ESPN is to expand into a national conference with PAC12 additions, crush their dreams of a 30 or so team cfb super conference that they hold the media rights to, and rub their face in it by giving part of the media rights to a streaming company like Amazon that their dying business model can’t compete with.
You might not remember the super conference called the WAC (now the MWC). The size of the conference was the demise of it. That is one reason why other conferences have avoided that pitfall. Notice how no one will go past the magic number of 16.

You might not remember the super conference called the WAC (now the MWC). The size of the conference was the demise of it. That is one reason why other conferences have avoided that pitfall. Notice how no one will go past the magic number of 16.
Not apples to apples because the money isn’t remotely the same. Same was said about 12 and 14 and 16 at one time but here we are with conferences that are that large. If the money is there then they’ll make it work.

I can see this happening in the Mid 2030s. The ACC teams can't do anything for another decade. The PAC12 teams might think their is hope in the current landscape and USC is likely decided to stay for the moment.

If in 10 years it is clear that it is the SEC vs the BIG 10, I actually believe that the PAC 12 would come with 4-6 teams. Money aside to have a national brand you need at least 2 teams from Cal, 1 from Wash, 1 from Ore and likely Colorado and Arizona. Probably 4 teams from the ACC, North Carolina, Virginia, I would expect to want some presence in FL, GA and have a 24 Team Conference. Can't see the BIG10 taking any Big12 teams aside from wanting a presence in Florida or Texas. What I can't seen is any team east of Rutgers getting considered.

I know 6 teams from the west coast dilutes the money per school. but it creates a somewhat viable west coast division and the overall money per school is greater with their addition.

A 24 Team BIG10 from Coast to Coast by 2040.

While the SEC can only pick up Big12 teams and Southern ACC teams. I guess they can convince Virginia and North Carolina, but i suspect they would prefer the BIG10
The ACC stuff is in the mid 2030s if it happens, the PAC12 stuff could happen in the next 2 years if it happens IMO. All the info those teams, specifically USC, need to know will come to light in that time frame....how big the B10 deal will be and how close the new PAC12 deal will be in comparison and if there is any sort of uneven revenue share that could keep the higher value teams happy. Once that's all known there's nothing magic that's going to happen in the following amount of time so if you're gonna make a move out of the conference and the networks will pay for it then the next 2 years or so would be the time frame. Letting another 5-10 years go by just makes you fall further behind during that time.

Not apples to apples because the money isn’t remotely the same. Same was said about 12 and 14 and 16 at one time but here we are with conferences that are that large. If the money is there then they’ll make it work.
Money doesn't solve all problems. Each school is looking out for itself. The Texas schools had issues with the Mountain schools and that is what contributed to the breakup. In the B1G right now, Nebraska is voicing their dislike for playing second fiddle to UM and OSU. They ran from Texas sh*t and I doubt they will accept USC and Oregon leapfrog them. Too many moving parts for a super conference.

Last edited:
Money doesn't solve all problem. Each school is looking out for self. The Texas schools had issues with the Mountain schools and that is what contributed to the breakup. In the B1G right now, Nebraska is voicing the dislike for playing second fiddle to UM and OSU. They ran from Texas sh*t and I doubt they will expect USC and Oregon leapfrogging them. To many moving part for a super conference.
Money solves most problems and it's just a matter of how much. Nebraska can complain about whatever, where are they going? Answer? Nowhere. They ran from Texas to the B10, there aren't alternatives like that now. Same with PSU when people bring them up as complaining about this or that. If the money is there, it's workable.

edit: who knows a move out west might even help Nebraska with Cali recruiting...although don't know how well or not they recruit Cali now.

Money solves most problems and it's just a matter of how much. Nebraska can complain about whatever, where are they going? Answer? Nowhere. They ran from Texas to the B10, there aren't alternatives like that now. Same with PSU when people bring them up as complaining about this or that. If the money is there, it's workable.

edit: who knows a move out west might even help Nebraska with Cali recruiting...although don't know how well or not they recruit Cali now.
If money solved problems, we wouldn't have half the sh*t we deal with now. I bet if USC comes into the B1G and doesn't pay its dues over 7 years like Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland, sh*t will hit the fans. Egos play a bigger role than money. How else do you explain ND passing on the B1G for less money.

If money solved problems, we wouldn't have half the sh*t we deal with now. I bet if USC comes into the B1G and doesn't pay its dues over 7 years like Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland, sh*t will hit the fans. Egos play a bigger role than money. How else do you explain ND passing on the B1G for less money.
I said money solves most problems not all (money can cause probs too btw) and when I say that it’s in reference to overcoming and working out whatever logistics may be at issue with a conference that’s national and big like you were mentioning.

As to ND don’t be so sure they might not be in a conference when the ACC GOR comes up. I think it’ll be the ACC or B10. The money difference and stable home hasn’t been enough to move them to date. Eventually, unstable home plus money differential could push them somewhere.

Reactions: dmaw
This is the perfect, uncomplicated time to take a run at the PAC12 because the B1G contracts are in negotiation and the PAC12 contract is close to ending, making those schools easier to get.

Waiting only complicates things. When you add teams in the middle of an existing TV deal, you have to work within the constraints of your contract partners like the SEC and ACC have to work with ESPN.

Imagine how much money the SEC would make if they were adding OU and Texas when their contracts were in the open market.
Totally agree with you.

And if we get our Media Contract with no rumblings of USC, I believe it is because USC is preferring to see how things pan out.

But I suspect that USC will push for a Media Rights deal length that gives them options toward the end of this decade. I am also assuming the BIG10 will for with a 5-8 year deal vs what the ACC did (LOL).

The ACC stuff is in the mid 2030s if it happens, the PAC12 stuff could happen in the next 2 years if it happens IMO. All the info those teams, specifically USC, need to know will come to light in that time frame....how big the B10 deal will be and how close the new PAC12 deal will be in comparison and if there is any sort of uneven revenue share that could keep the higher value teams happy. Once that's all known there's nothing magic that's going to happen in the following amount of time so if you're gonna make a move out of the conference and the networks will pay for it then the next 2 years or so would be the time frame. Letting another 5-10 years go by just makes you fall further behind during that time.

So you believe (or have been lead to believe) that USC would just bolt if the numbers aren't there? In that scenario, do you think USC comes with 1 partner or multiple teams (4-6 total I assume). In this case we end up with a similar situation with what is happening with Texas , OK and the SEC going in during the beginning of an existing contract.

So you believe (or have been lead to believe) that USC would just bolt if the numbers aren't there? In that scenario, do you think USC comes with 1 partner or multiple teams (4-6 total I assume). In this case we end up with a similar situation with what is happening with Texas , OK and the SEC going in during the beginning of an existing contract.
Yes if in these next couple years if USC finds the gap is too wide between the B10's new deal and whatever PAC12's new deal/setup for them (uneven revenue share?) then yea I think they will look to leave. It's the exact scenario that pushed Texas/OU to leave the B12. They went to the networks to start early negotiations on a new B12 deal and were stiff armed by the networks. Add in the news about the 300M/yr deal for the SEC GOTW and those 2 facts most likely pushed them to seek a home elsewhere. USC probably would be the same scenario..waiting 5-7 years or whatever many years doesn't bring on any magic solutions if there isn't one in these next 2 years.

As to number partners I said last year in my idea of a national conference, I think 4-6 would be good and leaves room for additional adds in the mid 2030s at the time of the ACC GOR expiration. Plus I always say it's better to have a school leave without feeling like they're leaving and extra partners can help in that goal. But that's just theory and hypothetical...who and how many partners the networks would pay for is unknown. Is it 2, 4, 6...who knows.

I hope you don’t really think the 16 team WAC has any relevance to the SEC.

WAC teams left because it was to their financial advantage to leave with the strongest teams and form their own conference. The WAC was a crap conference.

Why would teams lucky enough o make the cut fit a breakaway super conference leave and even if they wanted to, where would they go? It would be like dropping from FBS to FCS.

Memorial Day come and gone. I'm setting the over and under at July 4th. I'm taking the over. What's your bet.

Reactions: Myrtleknight
I hope you don’t really think the 16 team WAC has any relevance to the SEC.

WAC teams left because it was to their financial advantage to leave with the strongest teams and form their own conference. The WAC was a crap conference.

Why would teams lucky enough o make the cut fit a breakaway super conference leave and even if they wanted to, where would they go? It would be like dropping from FBS to FCS.
The WAC didn't fail because of financial issues. It failed because there were too many cooks in the kitchen. Each school has its agenda to protect its survival, even at the cost of the conference.

You keep coming back to money as the answer to everything. Greed is one of the seven deadly sins. Nebraska received a bigger cut than 90% of the Big 12, and they still left. Schools like Nebraska have pride, and school needs to consider. It's one of the reasons they b*tched about the going solo when the B1G was going to cancel the season. Also, schools like Oklahoma couldn't jump to the Pac 12 because state politics kept them leaving Oklahoma State. I doubt Michigan or Indiana will be able to leave Michigan State or Purdue behind. State politicians would be all over the situation, making sure their other state schools don't get left out. We saw it when schools from the Southwest Conference joined the Big 8. It created one helluva political fight at the state capital building in Austin.

Now that I think of it, look how several B1G schools didn't want Rutgers. Rutgers popped up on the B1G radar as early as 1990, and look how long it took. Even after Rutgers got in, there has been a conscious effort to undermine Rutgers at every opportunity. Do you really think Penn State or Rutgers would want to travel to USC for non-revenue sports? This is where people forget it goes deeper than TV money from football and basketball. If it was as simple as you say, there would have been a national conference years ago. As much as cash dictates some events, college sports is still a regional thing even if it is stretched to its limits.

Funny how these threads never have these posts in them:

"Money is ruining college athletics"
"Need to even out the money schools have"
"There isn't a fair playing field"
"NCAA needs to create a salary cap and limit the money schools can spend"

It's just post after post about the BIG Ten needing to get as much money as possible and make sure "the rich get richer".

Note - I am 100% on board with the BIG schools getting more money than every other conference. I wish they could even bury the SEC and make it a top tier of 1 conference.

Memorial Day come and gone. I'm setting the over and under at July 4th. I'm taking the over. What's your bet.
Well articles above said late summer so I’ll go with beyond July 4. The amount of interest intimated and the possible chopping up of the package seems like it will take some time to hash out.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Funny how these threads never have these posts in them:

"Money is ruining college athletics"
"Need to even out the money schools have"
"There isn't a fair playing field"
"NCAA needs to create a salary cap and limit the money schools can spend"

It's just post after post about the BIG Ten needing to get as much money as possible and make sure "the rich get richer".

Note - I am 100% on board with the BIG schools getting more money than every other conference. I wish they could even bury the SEC and make it a top tier of 1 conference.
The landscape is what the landscape is…big dogs or little dogs you have to figure out the best way to operate in that environment. No point in complaining..figure out how to get things done with the resources you have to the best of your ability.

Well articles above said late summer so I’ll go with beyond July 4. The amount of interest intimated and the possible chopping up of the package seems like it will take some time to hash out.

The first article in the page had this quote from Warren: "Hopefully, we'll be able to -- as we get around Memorial Day, or soon thereafter -- know what our structure is, who are partners will be and what it will look like," Warren said in an interview during the Big Ten spring meetings.

Warren gave himself and the B1G a little wiggle room on the date. Two or three weeks past the date may mean that there is some back and forth going on with one of more of the suitors, which hopefully means the price is being driven up!

The first article in the page had this quote from Warren: "Hopefully, we'll be able to -- as we get around Memorial Day, or soon thereafter -- know what our structure is, who are partners will be and what it will look like," Warren said in an interview during the Big Ten spring meetings.

Warren gave himself and the B1G a little wiggle room on the date. Two or three weeks past the date may mean that there is some back and forth going on with one of more of the suitors, which hopefully means the price is being driven up!
I was referring to the articles I posted, not the one at the start of the thread.

I was referring to the articles I posted, not the one at the start of the thread.
Oh, I assume the one below that you linked, the article dated June 6:

"The Big Ten and Fox Sports have meetings set up all this week with at least six media and tech companies looking to pick up the college conference’s rights"

"Negotiations are expected to continue through this month; a final deal could come in late summer."

Sorry if this is a rehash of what was posted above. The thread title is creating fodder for the Warren bashers, who will use it to imply that he did something wrong. I still think that the longer this plays out, perhaps there may be a bidding war that will drive up the price. But then again, maybe not.

Last edited:
Reactions: rutgersguy1
The WAC didn't fail because of financial issues. It failed because there were too many cooks in the kitchen. Each school has its agenda to protect its survival, even at the cost of the conference.

You keep coming back to money as the answer to everything. Greed is one of the seven deadly sins. Nebraska received a bigger cut than 90% of the Big 12, and they still left. Schools like Nebraska have pride, and school needs to consider. It's one of the reasons they b*tched about the going solo when the B1G was going to cancel the season. Also, schools like Oklahoma couldn't jump to the Pac 12 because state politics kept them leaving Oklahoma State. I doubt Michigan or Indiana will be able to leave Michigan State or Purdue behind. State politicians would be all over the situation, making sure their other state schools don't get left out. We saw it when schools from the Southwest Conference joined the Big 8. It created one helluva political fight at the state capital building in Austin.

Now that I think of it, look how several B1G schools didn't want Rutgers. Rutgers popped up on the B1G radar as early as 1990, and look how long it took. Even after Rutgers got in, there has been a conscious effort to undermine Rutgers at every opportunity. Do you really think Penn State or Rutgers would want to travel to USC for non-revenue sports? This is where people forget it goes deeper than TV money from football and basketball. If it was as simple as you say, there would have been a national conference years ago. As much as cash dictates some events, college sports is still a regional thing even if it is stretched to its limits.
If you are going to work under the misconception that money doesn’t currently rule college football, I don’t believe we will ever find common ground in further discussion.

Oh, I assume the one below that you linked, the article dated June 6:

"The Big Ten and Fox Sports have meetings set up all this week with at least six media and tech companies looking to pick up the college conference’s rights"

"Negotiations are expected to continue through this month; a final deal could come in late summer."

Sorry if this is a rehash of what was posted above. The thread title is creating fodder for the Warren bashers, who will use it to imply that he did something wrong. I still think that the longer this plays out, perhaps there may be a bidding war that will drive up the price. But then again, maybe not.

I'm not a Warren basher. I'm bashing the original story. Everyone in the sports media and a lot in here want to be the one with breaking news. The fact is that it is just as likely that Rutgers will be playing football before this deal gets done.

I'm not a Warren basher. I'm bashing the original story. Everyone in the sports media and a lot in here want to be the one with breaking news. The fact is that it is just as likely that Rutgers will be playing football before this deal gets done.
Well personally, I always like posting stories/tweets I come across as soon as I see them if I think there would be interest in the info and conversation/debate can be had on it.

Timelines though, if you're not in the room or know someone in the room it's hard to pinpoint without somewhat wide margins and just at best educated guessing.

On another tangential note about "breaking news," and realignment, I've read nothing about an "early release" of Texas/OU from their B12 GORs that many were thinking they would find a way to wriggle out of by the end of this season at the latest. I've always said I have to see it to believe it that GORs don't have enough teeth and at most maybe a year early but that's about it. Swarbrick's quotes above only lend support to the idea that GORs are prohibitive and a big roadblock to movement until the contract is up.

I wasn't referring to you. But the story linked in the first post in this thread directly quoted Warren. Regardless, the process will take longer than he originally thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT